• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Altus like rain gear from Aarn (and other ponchos)

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
At over one pound, it's heavier than I would like to carry, but it might work well for some people, and it's not overly expensive.

Water_Wizard_2.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
139$ ???? Wow, I would never pay that much for a poncho. My Bluefield was only 39€ and it is like the Altus as in it has that extra pocket on the back so that your pack is covered snugly and you can let your poncho hang off your pack when the rain stops.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looks too short. My Altus is much longer. I’m 5’5” and it goes to a few inches from the top of my boots. It weighs a pound too, but worth its weight in gold when I get a rainy Camino….. not so much when I get a dry one and carry it for over a month.😀

I'm giving this a try out (before I go) - for $Aus30 it is worth a gamble!

View attachment 117888
Yes yours look exactly like the ones I got my daughter and I on Amazon for $24 each for our Camino that was cancelled due to the shutdowns so we haven’t tried them yet but will be wearing them for our 2023 Camino. They had great reviews and we got them because they had the clear visor!

Attachments

• 07BF1B75-34E2-4D70-8ECA-53FDCD73FAE8.jpeg
    07BF1B75-34E2-4D70-8ECA-53FDCD73FAE8.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 136
I’ve been using a “disposable” ultra lightweight poncho for about two years; used off & on several times a year, hang to dry, then roll up, into bag. It also works as a windbreaker and with a fleece I’m comfortable down to about 35F. It was about $10 as I recall. If it rips, I hope I can find one like it in Spain; creature of habit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've carried the AARN pack and used their poncho on two camino's (Frances and Puy to SJPdP). Both are excellent products. The poncho is designed for use with AARN's backpack / front pouches configuration. It can be used on packs without the front pouches, but you would probably do as well with a poncho that is designed for a backpack only. The AARN poncho is expensive but I think the reason is 1.) it's very well made with rugged material similar to what they use on their packs (which explains the weight) and quality zippers (front and under arms); and 2.) it is more complicated to fabricate due to the two compartments in front to accommodate the pouches. If you are walking with an AARM pack, I think it's worth the money . YMMV. In my three Camino's I've had two experiences with rainy days running on for 3-4-5 days in a row. I haven't found any better system for keeping you and your gear dry than rain pants, gaiters on the boots/shoes and a good poncho.

I think the reason AARN offers a poncho is that no other ponchos that I've seen have covers for AARN's front pouches built into the front of the poncho. The AARN backpack and front pouches are waterproof, and so you don't really need a pack cover unless you want to avoid wet shoulder straps / waist belt.

I can comment on the pack system itself (I'm a big fan) if anyone's interested, but packs aren't the subject of this thread. Send me a PM if you want my review.

I've carried the AARN pack and used their poncho on two camino's (Frances and Puy to SJPdP). Both are excellent products. The poncho is designed for use with AARN's backpack / front pouches configuration. It can be used on packs without the front pouches, but you would probably do as well with a poncho that is designed for a backpack only. The AARN poncho is expensive but I think the reason is 1.) it's very well made with rugged material similar to what they use on their packs (which explains the weight) and quality zippers (front and under arms); and 2.) it is more complicated to fabricate due to the two compartments in front to accommodate the pouches. If you are walking with an AARM pack, I think it's worth the money . YMMV. In my three Camino's I've had two experiences with rainy days running on for 3-4-5 days in a row. I haven't found any better system for keeping you and your gear dry than rain pants, gaiters on the boots/shoes and a good poncho.

I think the reason AARN offers a poncho is that no other ponchos that I've seen have covers for AARN's front pouches built into the front of the poncho. The AARN backpack and front pouches are waterproof, and so you don't really need a pack cover unless you want to avoid wet shoulder straps / waist belt.

I can comment on the pack system itself (I'm a big fan) if anyone's interested, but packs aren't the subject of this thread. Send me a PM if you want my review.
Not sure on the poncho but absolutely agree about AARN packs. Simply brilliant.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Looks good. I'm in Tasmania. Where did you get it. What is the brand? Many thanks, Bill
I think if you hit the link on "this" it will take you to Amazon, where I found it. I've read the reviews, sounds like a sweat box!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Scott, I have used a large size Altus fits the front Aarn packs. I've used that combination for years. My husband, who is bigger than me, did the same (in the days when he walked).

I can see that the WaterWizard has extra features. Let us know how you find it.

I think if you hit the link on "this" it will take you to Amazon, where I found it. I've read the reviews, sounds like a sweat box
I have used the Altus for many Camino’s and love it. I ordered the one from Amazon to have an extra at home. Dislike it! It is heavier and the clear piece on the hood makes it difficult to put back in bag. I would never take it on a camino.

I have used the Altus for many Camino’s and love it. I ordered the one from Amazon to have an extra at home. Dislike it! It is heavier and the clear piece on the hood makes it difficult to put back in bag. I would never take it on a camino.
OK, apart from the weight and the hood, what else compared badly to the Altus? I liked a two way zip - the new Altus only has a one way zip and it is much flimsier than my old Altus. I have to decide whether to take the old Altus (heavy) or the new one.

What I want is FroggsToggs material made into an Altus shape. With a two way zip up the front, and pit zips.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
OK, apart from the weight and the hood, what else compared badly to the Altus? I liked a two way zip - the new Altus only has a one way zip and it is much flimsier than my old Altus. I have to decide whether to take the old Altus (heavy) or the new one.

What I want is FroggsToggs material made into an Altus shape. With a two way zip up the front, and pit zips.
Wish I had it with me, so I could pull it out and give you more info. I left it at our mountain cabin. As for the Altus, I have both an older version and the newer one. I used the newer one in October and it performed just fine. It was cooler so I didn’t have to worry about getting too warm. I don’t take it on summer Camino’s.

Yes, I wish you were near me @trecile - I'll have babies for you if you will make me one! I'm such a hopeless sewer (and my eyes are not what they used to be).

My cheapie bright orange ersatz Altus-look-alike has arrived. I do like the colour and the florescent strips! I also like the zip - its bigger and chunkier than on the Altus, so easier to do up quickly.

It weighs 120gms more than the Altus, disadvantage. It also kind of rustles rather like a plastic bag - which it basically is. It certainly seems waterproof. I don't mind the clear visor, actually quite like that.

I will report back after I've worn it on a trial. Then I'm going to have to chose between the new, rather sleeker Altus (whoever would have put those two words together?) and the Bright Orange Monster which is huge but does have cords to tighten it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
At over one pound, it's heavier than I would like to carry, but it might work well for some people, and it's not overly expensive.

View attachment 117880
Seems quite expensive and a snug fit. Think I would boil in it.

139$ ???? Wow, I would never pay that much for a poncho. My Bluefield was only 39€ and it is like the Altus as in it has that extra pocket on the back so that your pack is covered snugly and you can let your poncho hang off your pack when the rain stops.
Several of my Anniewalkers pilgrims have used the Bluefield. It was "ok" after they cut off the plastic face shield "thing." I didn't care for it, personally. It wasn't long enough to cover my legs, like my ALTUS does. And it's not THAT much less $$$. An ALTUS this year is only around €45

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think they must have changed their design. Mine is a few years old and does not have a plastic face shield on it and is quite long. (I am 168cm or 5'6"). Too bad. I have another one I found at Globetrotter in Frankfurt, that also has a pocket on the back. I think I paid 45€ for that back in 2015. It is pretty long too, but heavier than the Bluefield one. It worked well in high winds and pouring rain tho.

View attachment 117880
The guy in the photo looks like a blimp. The Altus Poncho that i have had for 10 years at $`19.99 Euros is still working just fine.
Also paying that kind of money for a poncho is loco
Also reading the directions I think you may need a PhD in engineering to figure it out
Also you look like a blimp. ;)
What are the bubbly things in the front? I think that was designed for a figure like the late great Carol Doda.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's made to be worn with the Aarn backpacks which have two front "balance pockets." I had the same thought that the poncho really makes one look busty. 😄

View attachment 118090
I am never one to look at the fine print especially when I don't have much interest in something. It is more enjoyable to just poke fun at something and this poncho was red meat for me.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.