• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New starting point in the USA, for the Camino Inglés

Time of past OR future Camino
Podiensis, Portugues, Primitivo, 6 others
Last year inaugurated a starting point for the Camino de Santiago in the U.S. In this case, it's St. Augustine, Florida. This suits Americans who prefer to start the Ingles in the lovely, historic city of O Coruna rather than Ferrol. Just as the UK has an approved route starting there, Americans have one as well. See this link:

I'm wondering if anyone out there has walked this, receiving their official credential and starting sello at the Cathedral in St. Augustine?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Camino Ingles can begin in Ferrol or in A Coruna, however, A Coruna is not quite far enough from Santiago to be 100 km. You are allowed to walk the the equivalent of the distance before Ferrol (about 25 km) to make up the total 100 km in your home country if it is properly documented when you present the evidence of your walk to the pilgrim office for a Compostella.

I don't understand. How can one's Camino start in the U.S.? Is the flight across the ocean considered part of the pilgrimage?
No. Just as Brits are authorized by the authorities in Santiago to walk 25 kms on a certain path in the UK, then walk from O Coruna, which is less than 100km and qualify for a compostella, there is a designated trail to St. Augustine Cathedral that qualifies for 25km as well. As far as I'm aware, these are the only two qualifying trails outside of Spain. Not even France or Italy have any. They must walk 100km continuously to Santiago to earn a compostella.

St. Augustine is the oldest city in the U.S. Founded by Spanish explorers and Jesuits, it's ties to Spain are stronger than any other city in the U.S., despite the Spanish exploring so much of the U.S. long before Jamestown. Few in the Washington and Baltimore area even realize that Spanish explored the Chesapeake Bay in the 1500s and called it the Bay of Our Lady. And a black slave whom Spanish explorers took with them was the first white (Oops! in fact he was African, not even European) who made it across Texas as their ship wrecked and he was the only survivor to make it across Texas and then down to Mexico. His story is an amazing one as he kept on leading expeditions in what are now Arizona and New Mexico.

Our history books ignore so much of our historical ties to Spain. I'm sure this contributed to the Spanish decision to designate this new route.

As far as I'm aware, these are the only two qualifying trails outside of Spain. Not even France or Italy have any.
There are a number of routes in Ireland which have also been used. The Camino Society Ireland have been very active in promoting the idea which is the core of the "Celtic Camino" concept.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why go to Florida when you can go to Spain.
Why walk in England when you can go to Spain? The answer to me is contained in another question: Why walk from Ferrol when you can walk from O Coruna, a beautiful city with so much history and culture? I think that those who walk from Ferrol just so they can qualify for a compostella miss so much when they bypass O Coruna. Walk your 25Km in England or the U.S., then go to O Coruna. Of course, there's another factor: time. Some peregrinos just don't have the time to spend more than a week in Spain. That too is a shame, but it's reality.

To make up for lost Covid time, we'll be walking two camino paths this year, one in May in Spain, another in September in France. But we have time and we cherish every moment on our caminos.

No. Just as Brits are authorized by the authorities in Santiago to walk 25 kms on a certain path in the UK, then walk from O Coruna, which is less than 100km and qualify for a compostella, there is a designated trail to St. Augustine Cathedral that qualifies for 25km as well. As far as I'm aware, these are the only two qualifying trails outside of Spain. Not even France or Italy have any. They must walk 100km continuously to Santiago to earn a compostella.

St. Augustine is the oldest city in the U.S. Founded by Spanish explorers and Jesuits, it's ties to Spain are stronger than any other city in the U.S., despite the Spanish exploring so much of the U.S. long before Jamestown. Few in the Washington and Baltimore area even realize that Spanish explored the Chesapeake Bay in the 1500s and called it the Bay of Our Lady. And a black slave whom Spanish explorers took with them was the first white (Oops! in fact he was African, not even European) who made it across Texas as their ship wrecked and he was the only survivor to make it across Texas and then down to Mexico. His story is an amazing one as he kept on leading expeditions in what are now Arizona and New Mexico.

Our history books ignore so much of our historical ties to Spain. I'm sure this contributed to the Spanish decision to designate this new route.
Thank you for this explanation! Now I understand.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

The Irish Camino also incorporates this segmented and approved Camino routing. You walk your first one or two segments in Ireland, then make your way to Ferrol or A Coruna, as people did from Ireland (or the UK) hundreds of years ago. Continuing to Santiago from these places, you have a combined more than 100 kilometers to qualify for the Compostela.

This change adds an appropriate / equivalent segment in the US, arriving at the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Augustine in St. Augustine, Florida. For those of you who are not history buffs, the Spanish conquistador Pedro Menéndez de Avilés, established St. Augustine in 1565. It is the oldest continuously occupied settlement of European origin in the contiguous United States.

It predates the Virginia and Plymouth Massachusetts, settlements by 50 or more years. Only the Spanish settlement at San Juan, Puerto Rico is older - founded in 1521.

So, you walk your first couple of days into the Cathedral Basilica at St. Augustine, obtain your sello, then interrupt your travel to make the over-ocean leap ahead to Spain. Starting again at A Coruna, Ferrol, etc. - again with the appropriate sello(s), you finish your 100 km plus Camino into Santiago.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I would be very interested in info on how to do this. I searched and tried to email the cathedral and wasn’t able to get specifics.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As far as I'm aware, these are the only two qualifying trails outside of Spain.
As several members have posted above, you can walk any documented 25k from any location, with stamps on your official credencial, then continue on from A Coruna. I had a local priest write a letter verifying my mileage in the US, got stamps at local post offices and libraries, and also printed a map showing my mileage in both miles and kilometres. Bring all the paperwork to the Pilgrim's Office as the first person I dealt with had no idea what I was talking about.

Last edited:
The Camino Ingles can begin in Ferrol or in A Coruna, however, A Coruna is not quite far enough from Santiago to be 100 km. You are allowed to walk the the equivalent of the distance before Ferrol (about 25 km) to make up the total 100 km in your home country if it is properly documented when you present the evidence of your walk to the pilgrim office for a Compostella
A Coruña to Santiago is a beautiful walk. How wonderful that US pilgrims can now walk the first stage at home then continue in A Coruña. Thanks for sharing the good news @Anthony Rocco!
Yes, if it will fit into your budget, time off, desires, and other aspects of your life, the 25 km route to the Basilica in St Augustine might work. And A Coruna to Santiago sounds like a better 100 km walk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Pensacola was the first Spanish settlement in USA. Don Tristain De Luna landed here on Aug. 15, 1559 where the first mass was celebrated. A cross on our beach honors the event. The settlement was wiped out by a hurricane.
th

Not being religious in the least bit I still find the history of the Camino quite fascinating. I also appreciate those who are truly on a spiritual journey to Santiago. If beginning somewhere other than Spain gives them greater spiritual joy, great. As for me, if I were to go to St. Augustine, it would be to visit and appreciate the history before I begin my Camino to Santiago. However, being from the state of California (across the country from Florida) the added cost would make me say no.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.