• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New at this...

SAcouple

Time of past OR future Camino
None so far - want to do a part in September 2017 and again in September 2018
Hi everyone/anyone,

My husband and I will be going to Porto in September (for work) and we would like to do a few days of the Camino on the days that we don't have to work. The idea is to explore a bit and then to bring my parents next year for a longer hike. We are complete novices. Can anyone do the Camino on their own - or do you need to go with a registered tour, must you pre-book accommodation and must you buy a hiking permit prior? Sorry if these are silly questions. Any advice would be appreciated.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Anyone can walk the Camino. There is no permit system and you do not have to register with anyone. You certainly do not need to use a commercial company to make arrangements. If you would like to stay in the pilgrim albergues (hostels) and receive the Compostela certificate if and when you reach Santiago then you can find a Credencial (pilgrim passport) at the cathedral in Porto. You then have this stamped in various places along the way. If you do want to receive the Compostela you must have this stamped at least twice each day in the final 100km to Santiago - in practice from Tui onwards. The Portugues is increasingly popular and booking in advance may be worthwhile in busy periods. Pilgrims may choose to stay in albergues or private rooms - your choice. There are a number of guidebooks available and a lot of information about the route and accommodation online. You can find route details on these two sites:
https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/portugues/

PS. You do not have to complete the Camino in one continuous period. Many people walk for several days at one time and then return months or even years later for another stage. You can use the same credencial for this.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@SAcouple welcome to the forum. You will get all the answers (plus lots more) here.

No, you definitely do not need a commercial organisation to organise this for you. It is incredibly easy to do it yourself.

Save yourself (a) money and (b) angst, and not be locked into a timetable, itinerary, accommodation, walking distances, that may not suit you.

Pack yourselves a couple of light backpacks with only the bare essentials for your walk. Lots of packing lists on this forum, but as you are only going for a few days many will be overkill. If you plan to stay in hotels and pensions you will not need any sleeping gear, if you want to experience the "whole thing" and stay in albergues, then you will need sleeping sheets and/or light sleeping bags. Otherwise just the clothes you will walk in that you can wash each night (so quick dry). Comfortable walking shoes. Normal ones. There are lots of cobblestones on the route out of Porto (I actually like Skechers for cobblestones, although I'd not use them for a long camino).

Get yourselves a credential each - that entitles you to stay in the pilgrim accommodation. Available through this website (go to "Services in Santiago by Ivar" on the masthead).

Find your starting point in Porto - the tourist office will point you in the right direction - and follow the yellow arrows. It is that simple!

Hi,

Join the Confraternity of St James South Africa. They will give you loads of information.

Petro

And Porto has a fine metro system so you could, for example, do a day or two walking up the coastal Camino then take the metro back, or carry on walking, depending on how much time you have. There is also a more inland route to explore.
Should be plenty of info on routes and transport on this forum.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
... Can anyone do the Camino on their own - or do you need to go with a registered tour, must you pre-book accommodation and must you buy a hiking permit prior? Sorry if these are silly questions. Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum @SAcouple
The Camino(s) are free to walk for anybody - no need for permits etc. Just walk.
Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back