• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New backpack strange.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For anyone who buys this rucksack I have available a complete hiking suit made of such fine materials that common people will not even be able to see it. All enquiries should include full banking details and passwords as appropriate
Strange humour .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Interesting, over the last 2 weeks I have seen pretty much every style/type of backpack people are using!
I would say the preferred brands seen to be:
1.Osprey
2.Quechua’ (Decathlon)
3.Deuter

Not seen many Lowe Alpines, but have seen some Gregory, Millet!

I have been surprised at some of the large pack sizes than people have been carrying!
I have a 35lt that is never really full, plus I reckon I could get by with a 25lt!
Nothing worse than seeing someone with an ill fitted pack, plastic bags, shoes hanging from it!
I watch one guy pass near the cathedral with just about every cooking utensil you could imagine dangling from his pack!

The weight of the pack itself is the immediate question .
Two frames , a sliding mechanism , a suspension device and some type of resile elastic must add weight not found in other light weight packs .
This would seem to be a case of attempting to make a back pack seem to weigh less when it's actually heavier .
The concept might have merit , I can't help thinking about smoke and mirrors though .

As God is my witness, you will NEVER see me running with my 9kg backpack on my back. What is happening that you need to get away that fast? I’d drop my pack and blast out. Bye bye, dirty laundry and mini bottle of shampoo, half eaten sandwich and smelly sleeping bag.
Perhaps my backpack is more dense than those in the videos. That guy is running like a gazelle.
That said, if it is a real thing, I say good on ya!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The weight of the pack itself is the immediate question .
Two frames , a sliding mechanism , a suspension device and some type of resile elastic must add weight not found in other light weight packs .
This would seem to be a case of attempting to make a back pack seem to weigh less when it's actually heavier .
The concept might have merit , I can't help thinking about smoke and mirrors though .
April 1 is the first thing that comes to mind...

As God is my witness, you will NEVER see me running with my 9kg backpack on my back. What is happening that you need to get away that fast? I’d drop my pack and blast out. Bye bye, dirty laundry and mini bottle of shampoo, half eaten sandwich and smelly sleeping bag.
Perhaps my backpack is more dense than those in the videos. That guy is running like a gazelle.
I think it was researched for military pack weights or at least that was mentioned in the video and those pack weights can be heavy. Yes, sometimes you do have to run, jump, dodge, dive, etc

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Interesting, over the last 2 weeks I have seen pretty much every style/type of backpack people are using!
I would say the preferred brands seen to be:
1.Osprey
2.Quechua’ (Decathlon)
3.Deuter

Not seen many Lowe Alpines, but have seen some Gregory, Millet!

I have been surprised at some of the large pack sizes than people have been carrying!
I have a 35lt that is never really full, plus I reckon I could get by with a 25lt!
Nothing worse than seeing someone with an ill fitted pack, plastic bags, shoes hanging from it!
I watch one guy pass near the cathedral with just about every cooking utensil you could imagine dangling from his pack!
When I did the Frances I used a Lowe Alpine I found the osprey packs too short for my height. I found it a wonderful pack, I picked up so many souvenirs that it was almost 20kg when I finished yet it actually felt much lighter when I finished than when i started.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It seems to have been kick starter funded a couple of years ago.
Lots of unhappy customers on this site :rolleyes:

This looks like a gimmick and I doubt very much it's a practical option for any walker on the Camino or off it. A properly fitted pack transfers the weight to your hips rather than your shoulders, and I would think the weight shift of the pack sliding up and down would be rather annoying, not to mention the excess weight of the sliding mechanism. I will give it a miss.

And the price! 940 AU$, 599US$ for small pack, 1223AU$ 779 US$ for large. Not cheap. A lot of people on the link Robo supplied are complaining about not receiving goods they paid for - apparently because the makers started taking orders before the item had actually gone into production. The packs are also heavy, 3.5 kg + depending on model. Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The weight must go somewhere. If it is not borne by the shoulders, onto which part of the body does it go? Surely the part of the body that really carries the weight is the legs, so unless the frame of the backpack is filled with helium...
That's the wrong start point for thinking about this. The mass, not the weight will stay constant. As you walk, your body will rise an fall a small amount on each stride, and there will be small changes in the weight of the pack on your shoulders as it rises and lowers with your body. I presume this effect could be measured if you had sufficiently sensitive instruments. This happens without any fancy spring mechanism.

This pack appears to be using similar principles to a vehicle suspension system, and reducing the amount of travel of the pack as your body rises and drops as you walk. If that works, it should reduce your energy expenditure, even accounting for the additional weight of the mechanism.

I'm not sure that I would want the added complexity, etc that seems to needed to achieve what might be a quite small benefit.

That's the wrong start point for thinking about this. The mass, not the weight will stay constant. As you walk, your body will rise an fall a small amount on each stride, and there will be small changes in the weight of the pack on your shoulders as it rises and lowers with your body. I presume this effect could be measured if you had sufficiently sensitive instruments. This happens without any fancy spring mechanism.

This pack appears to be using similar principles to a vehicle suspension system, and reducing the amount of travel of the pack as your body rises and drops as you walk. If that works, it should reduce your energy expenditure, even accounting for the additional weight of the mechanism.

I'm not sure that I would want the added complexity, etc that seems to needed to achieve what might be a quite small benefit.
I'll take your word for it. My knowledge of physics is just about sufficient to stop me electrocuting myself whenever I connect two wires together. I could never work out why travelling a given distance on a bicycle is less tiring than travelling the same distance on foot even though by travelling by bicycle you transfer a greater mass. Anyway, I still think it's a clockwork orange. A $AU799 clockwork orange.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Soldiers carrying 35 kg loads all day over rugged terrain and get the pack supplied free must love this. I haven't seen any recent reviews though.

I've often thought of taking up my cousin's suggestion of hiring a venue and putting a large wire basket in the centre of the hall with a big sign that says:

THROWING MONEY
INTO THIS BASKET
IS FORBIDDEN

She reckons we'd make a fortune!

I've often thought of taking up my cousin's suggestion of hiring a venue and putting a large wire basket in the centre of the hall with a big sign that says: ...

Go for larger deposits.

Another way is to have the sign say "Use the box below."

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

Reportedly, the Vietnamese have solved this problem, using bamboo (or other material) flexibility :

Vietnam (1).JPG
(pic from Seoul News travel blog)

A good load carrier should adjust his (in fact, most often her...) pace so that the loads have the least vertical movement relative to the ground.

Cheap and efficient. Not really camino-like and needing much training, I guess...

I'm not interested in getting one. I definitely can't run. At 73 and having injured my Achilles tendon in tennis, I'd be happy just to be able to walk the Le Puy Camino next year. Out of curiosity I looked up the backpack on their website. The price is US$479 for a 30L pack. I can't find the weight. Probably a little heavier than the regular 30L pack due to the mechanism.

For anyone who buys this rucksack I have available a complete hiking suit made of such fine materials that common people will not even be able to see it. All enquiries should include full banking details and passwords as appropriate
I have one of those suits but I do find it a not very warm.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi,

I think this rail-trolley backpack make a good instagram effect but I prefer simple and reliable things on long walk. I wonder at which load this system effect begin to be perceptible by theirs laboratory controlled atmosphere sensors. Kitchen scales lovers like me will ask: Does it will be efficient or useful for carying 10 kg (or less) for someone who don't do Rocky jumping jack ?

My moto for the day: Keep it simple and walk light !

I wonder at which load this system effect begin to be perceptible by theirs laboratory controlled atmosphere sensors. Kitchen scales lovers like me will ask: Does it will be efficient or useful for carying 10 kg (or less) for someone who don't do Rocky jumping jack ?

There's a review at Outside:

A quote:

But the most telling adjustment happened when I disabled the suspension, using another lever on the lower right of the pack. For the most part, wearing the pack felt reasonably comfortable but not mind-blowing. I wasn’t hiking along thinking, Wow, it feels like I have nothing on my back. But as soon as I locked the suspension, I realized how much the load had previously been lightened. The difference was instantly and impressively noticeable. There’s no doubt that the mechanism really works.

And, if running is really required.... you only need to be faster than the pilgrims you are walking with...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I did the Frances I used a Lowe Alpine I found the osprey packs too short for my height. I found it a wonderful pack, I picked up so many souvenirs that it was almost 20kg when I finished yet it actually felt much lighter when I finished than when i started.
I used a Lowe Alpine for travelling around the states a few years back! It was way too big for backpacking, more expedition size!
It was on sale and I knew they made good quality kit as I had a few of their Camera bags! It was the last of the style made from heavy rip stop style material, The newer ones all seem to be super lightweight thin fabric!
Did you get fitted when trying the Osprey?
I imagine a M/L torso length, correctly adjusted would cover even the tallest!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.