• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Balance 574

ChichiPerez

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

Planning on doing the Camino in August, so need to get my walking shoes sorted soon. I definitely prefer a trail runner above a hiking boot and have read many posts saying that New Balance runners are great for the camino.

Is that what people are talking about when they say they've walked in New Balance, or would it be a specific hiking shoe from the NB range? https://www.newbalance.ie/en/pd/574...V2-34333_width=B&pid=WL574V2-34333&quantity=1

Thanks in advance!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having walked Caminos in both hiking shoes (Merrell Moabs) and trail running shoes (Saucony Exodus). Both shoes worked amazing well. Whereas my Merrell’s are Gortex lined, my Sauconys are lighter. However, both were more than enough for any of the camino trails. Regardless of the brand you chose, the deciding factor should be fit. If the New Balance 574 fits “your” feet well, that’s what you might want to go with. As running shoes are designed to hit the road right out of the box, you’ll know if it’s the shoe for you. Go to a store that specializes in trail runners and try on a variety of them to see what you like best. Second, the correct sock also makes a big difference. I wear a medium weight Merino wool running sock. Finally, know how to care for your feet. On my first Camino, I developed world class size blisters. Since learning how to care for my feet, I’ve not again had to deal with the discomfort of blisters.

No. The 574 is a 'lifestyle fashion' shoe and it would lack the support, cushioning, and durability needed to be a recommendation for consideration. It is more for 'show' than for 'go'

NB has a specifc category of trail running shoe models that will far, far, outperform the 574. I would look at the 'Fresh Foam model series. Their Hierro and More Trail are two models. The NB hiking shoe category will include many of the trail runners plus a few that are more heavily constructed (and heavier).

No one can recommend a shoe for you to use. Personal recommendations are shoes that may be worth trying out, but not to blindly purchase. YOUR feet are unique, and because of that will have their own notion of what is comfortable. What others may recommend as a shoe can be placed on a list for 'audition', but they cannot be relied upon to automatically fit your feet well and feel good.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
have read many posts saying that New Balance runners are great for the camino.
There are probably just as many posts saying that several other major brands of runners are great for the camino. Every major brand produces several different choices that would be suitable for the camino. The big question is whether they are suitable for your feet. Try on whatever brands/models are available and select the one that gives the best fit and comfort for your foot. Check the return policy, and test it with a 30 minute brisk indoor walk. If there is any discomfort at all, it is not the right shoe for you.

The New Balance 574 is an ok shoe for everyday use (i.e. the name lifestyle), but I'd use the 990v5. I've used them on about 1000 miles of Camino walking had found them to work very well. But, first of all, you want to be prepared to try a shoe or two and then throw them out. Everyone has a shoe that "worked" for them, but may not work for you. So don't be frugal on the choice of shoe. You'll regret it a week or so into the walk. A good example is that my wife finds the NB shoe not comfortable and stays with ASICS. There is no right answer for everyone, and there may be only one answer for you. That's what counts.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

Planning on doing the Camino in August, so need to get my walking shoes sorted soon. I definitely prefer a trail runner above a hiking boot and have read many posts saying that New Balance runners are great for the camino.

Is that what people are talking about when they say they've walked in New Balance, or would it be a specific hiking shoe from the NB range? https://www.newbalance.ie/en/pd/574...V2-34333_width=B&pid=WL574V2-34333&quantity=1

Thanks in advance!

New Balance is one of my favorites. They are comfortable. But you will probably prefer going for one from their running series instead of their fashion series.

I switched to Asics. But only because they last about three times longer.

Best
Andy

I walked in the New Balance 990 version. It had good padding and stability. I replaced the insole with SuperFeet insole. I'd suggest discussing shoes with an outfitter like REI. Although they didn't have shoes wide enough for me and actually sent me to the New Balance store.

I went to REI; the salesperson brought me several brands and sizes, had me "hike" around the store, up and down the slant board...... I settled on Keen sandals and wear them still, as my first choice shoe for everywhere. The brand may not be for you, but the attention I received from the REI salesperson is what I would wish for anyone. "Don't be rushed into a choice!" would be my advice.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sounds great. Thanks for the advice everyone. Unfortunately we don't have REI. Wish we had as much choice in little ol' Ireland as you do stateside!!
I'll go into an outdoor shop in Dublin and see what ones fit well.
You've all turned me off ordering online anyway, better to go and try on many pairs.
Thanks again.
Might get the New Balance 574s just for hanging around anyway, they are nice 😀

Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

Thanks in advance!
New Balance has so many options and is the go to for me on Camino, nary a blister. All three Camino’s were New Balance except, I didn’t start my 3rd on del Norte in New Balance. But once I switched to the Frances that same year (2019) I found these beauties in Leon. They’re still very cushy and get me through my walks around home. Buen Camino. 😎
F50752FD-CF37-4846-8F45-EB3A65DC8B09.jpeg

I love New Balance and wear it on every Camino since 2006.
However, the one you're looking at has (in my opinion) a narrow toe box.
Unless you have an extremely narrow foot, I would
look for a shoe on the SL-2 shoe last, which has a narrow heel and a deep, wide toe box.
Numbers change every season. Best to find a NB store and try on there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

Thanks in advance!

I’ve had bad experiences with New Balance. Quite some years back now I was at a work conference in Washington DC and needed a new pair of runners. “Runners World” magazine were then touting the top of the range New Balance model as their running shoe of the year. I bought a pair on this recommendation. Within a fortnight, and back in Australia, the inner sole supports had completely collapsed and it was like running on planks. Several years later I was in Hobart and my much loved Asics had just about worn out. A local sporting goods store was having a sale and I boughtvanother upper range New Balance pair. Within a fortnight ( must be a hex time that) the uppers had split away from the soles. I’ve been running for nigh on 50 years and have used lots of different makes but never anything remotely as bad as this. I would have to say they rank down there with the worst of products of any sort it has been my misfortune to buy. They may be better now, but I would urge you to go for something else.

De colores

Bogong

On my last Camino in 2019 I wore New Balance T590v4 and they were just great. I am still wearing the same shoes for training walks while waiting for Covid to sort itself out so that I can get back onto a Camino. They have completed over 3500 kilometres (I keep a record of my walking). I have another pair of the same shoe that have only done 100 kilometres and are ready to use on the next Camino. I do not have a preference for New Balance. I went into the local sports shoe shop and they had these on special. They fitted and felt good so I bought two pair and have not been disapointed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.