• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Boat service from A Caminha to Guarda

wisepilgrim

Camino App Maker
Time of past OR future Camino
Many
Good news for pilgrims coming up the coast. The iffy service of the Santa Rita has been replaced by a new agreement between Galicia and Portugal, called Xacobeo Transfer.

There are now two new boats to ferry pilgrims and locals from one country to another, and starting in July one of them will be electric which I imagine will make for a nice quiet ride. The service is daily, so Monday pilgrims can now cross too!

This will make onward pilgrimage via Mougas, Bayona, and Vigo much more reliable. The service is 6€ and takes 20 minutes. Bookable online here:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great news for pilgrims, but also for pilgrim-related vendors on the coastal route up to Vigo. I've heard that they've been hurt by the financial impact of all the problems with the old ferry, which was sending a lot of traffic over to the Central route (i.e., crossing the Minho at Valença instead of Caminha).

I'm crossing over in mid June, on a Friday
..are there likely to be options?

I'm crossing over in mid June, on a Friday
..are there likely to be options?

The water taxi still operates from the cafe by the jetty. It only goes to the other side of the river so you'll have a couple of miles walk at the other side to get to A Guarda.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The water taxi still operates from the cafe by the jetty. It only goes to the other side of the river so you'll have a couple of miles walk at the other side to get to A Guarda.
Lovely! Thank you!

I'll be crossing in a couple of days, it would be nice not to have to detour 25km to stay on the coast. The last time I crossed here was 5 years ago, was official ferry. Water taxi you say, is thIs a local person offering service, does it depend on tides do you know?

I can answer my own question, for anyone who needs to know:
At present, a local fishermen runs a boat taking just 6 or 7 at a time. I only had to wait a few minutes. A fun spin across the Estuary with a Normandy beach style landing on the opposite shore. It isn't tide dependant but operates further out in the Estuary so involves a little more walking both to and from the ferry, but it's pleasant enough..

20220416_082910.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hopefully they'll be keeping the channel dredged - 50m out after "setting sail" from Portugal and we hit a sand bank!

Good news for pilgrims coming up the coast. The iffy service of the Santa Rita has been replaced by a new agreement between Galicia and Portugal, called Xacobeo Transfer.

There are now two new boats to ferry pilgrims and locals from one country to another, and starting in July one of them will be electric which I imagine will make for a nice quiet ride. The service is daily, so Monday pilgrims can now cross too!

This will make onward pilgrimage via Mougas, Bayona, and Vigo much more reliable. The service is 6€ and takes 20 minutes. Bookable online here:

Thanks, I took Xacobeo Transfer and it is a perfect way to go to A Guarda. and a very ecological idea.
Congrats

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

We will have two bicycles with us. Do you allow bikes? And do you suggest booking ahead for a Camino trip in September?

We will have two bicycles with us. Do you allow bikes? And do you suggest booking ahead for a Camino trip in September?

Haven't come across anyone who has used this new service so there is no definitive answer. You could contact them and ask.

The water taxis that operate from the same location in Caminha do carry bikes in the (very) unlikely event the ferry doesn't. See pic. Or you can take the road round which is another 17-20 miles.

As regards that link in #1, that is the southbound link. You need the northbound one below and note that they use Spanish time. You'll be on Portuguese time.

However unless you intend to stay over in Caminha specifically for this ferry, you are likely to be using the taxis which are "on-demand" rather than scheduled.

Attachments

• Caminha_ferry.jpg
    Caminha_ferry.jpg
    846.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Yesterday I took the xacobeo transfer ferry. It starts and arrives from the same place as the one that no longer exists. It had a petrol engine. When we arrived he left immediately, there were 2 of us, without respecting the schedules, but there were no reservations. In my opinion, he carries bicycles, certainly the taxi boats that depart from the campsite carry them. I added a photo of boat

Attachments

• IMG-20220518-WA0033.jpg
    IMG-20220518-WA0033.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 20
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello - I wonder if someone can help... I might be missing something obvious.

Does the new ferry only run once a day at 10:00 (Spanish time) or does it simply start at 10:00?

I'm planning ahead for my walking group so I need to be sure.

Many thanks :D

Hello - I wonder if someone can help... I might be missing something obvious.

Does the new ferry only run once a day at 10:00 (Spanish time) or does it simply start at 10:00?

I'm planning ahead for my walking group so I need to be sure.

Many thanks :D
As far as I can understand the ferry Santa Rita ( o Transbordador ) does not exist anymore for some reasons. Initially some fishermen could set you over on demand and now I think somebody ( maybe a fisherman ? ) bought a new boat and set you over on demand .
it looks like the same service from the fishermen. And they made a website so you can book online . So it is randomwise. If somebody calls in ,they send the boat to the harbour to pick you up. Great service 👍 for the website see one post above me

Last edited:
Hi I have just finished the Portuguese coastal.from Porto.
At Caminha all the fishermen said there was no ferry, they were not telling the truth, there is a new electric boat that goes from the harbour hourly and cost €6.
Booking at,

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can second that Mike. I was with you and our group doing the Camino from Porto to Santiago !

Here's where you catch it from :

Xacobeo Transfer CAMINHA - Peregrinos Caminho Português da Costa
613 01 12 26

Cost 6€ for pilgrims 8€ for cyclists. You book online 30 minute slots. Well worth it. The two captains Miguel and Federico are super friendly & profesional.

Thank you for the valuable advice!
How crowded was this route? Did you have trouble booking the boat?
I'm doing the same route in September.
Ultreia!

The route was quite busy until it joined the central route, then very busy, several pilgrims told me that the had problems booking accommodation, especially near Santiago
No problems booking and paying for the boat on line.
Bon Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The route was quite busy until it joined the central route, then very busy, several pilgrims told me that the had problems booking accommodation, especially near Santiago
No problems booking and paying for the boat on line.
Bon Camino
Thank you so much for the helpful reply 🙏🏻
Ultreia peregrino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
the portuguese taxi boat guy and the skipper from Spain do not love each other, almost ended up in a big boat fight while crossing...

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back