• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Book on how to prepare for a Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For those that don’t want or can’t afford to spend money there is
lots of great advice here as well as videos on YouTube to help answer questions and calm your worries a little before you go. The best answers that you can get about walking only really are answered once you walk.
But not having read this book maybe it will be great for lots of future pilgrims.

@happymarkos, the market for readers and viewers is brimming with books and videos about all things pre-, post- and during Caminos. Still, I wish you success with this endeavour.

I remember that you once mentioned that you were a volunteer in the pilgrims office in SJPP and I see on the book's page on Amazon that you've walked 6000 km on Caminos and that your concern are in particular those who are, blinded by enthusiasm and poorly prepared, likely to fail in just the first few days because they were fooled into thinking it was going to be easy simply just because so many people have done it in the past. They rarely if ever post here on the forum but I know that they exist ... I could even name one or the other ... ¡Suerte!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For those that don’t want or can’t afford to spend money there is
lots of great advice here as well as videos on YouTube to help answer questions and calm your worries a little before you go. The best answers that you can get about walking only really are answered once you walk.
But not having read this book maybe it will be great for lots of future pilgrims.
Thank you for taking the time to comment, unfortunately my experience is that many are limping within a few weeks and around 50% who start in SJPDP are injured by Burgos. Others have shared similar observations about the drop-out rate.

I agree there is lots of information readily available however many, many haven't read it, or if they have, haven't allowed for the stress on the body through walking day after day for weeks. We have bandaged and treated many people with feet problems.

I am especially proud of the chapter "Walking as a System", peer reviewed by a Sports medical expert. If you have the opportunity to read it perhaps you could let me have your further comments. The e-book costs around $4.99 and is free with kindle unlimited.

BTW publishing a little book like mine never makes money, it costs more to produce and to be listed on Amazon on the first few search pages than it will ever recoup with small royalties. I am currently down over $450 and it could take 10 years or more to break even given.

My sole goal is to try and reach people and raise awareness; it includes links to Ivar's site and lots of free apps.

@happymarkos, the market for readers and viewers is brimming with books and videos about all things pre-, post- and during Caminos. Still, I wish you success with this endeavour.

I remember that you once mentioned that you were a volunteer in the pilgrims office in SJPP and I see on the book's page on Amazon that you've walked 6000 km on Caminos and that your concern are in particular those who are, blinded by enthusiasm and poorly prepared, likely to fail in just the first few days because they were fooled into thinking it was going to be easy simply just because so many people have done it in the past. They rarely if ever post here on the forum but I know that they exist ... I could even name one or the other ... ¡Suerte!
Hi Kathar1na:
thank you for your comments, if you can suggest ways to get more of the message out about the importance of being well prepared please do so.

I know John Brierley was very happy to supply his latest map of the caminos in France, Spain and Portugal for me to include in my book; he told me he will help anyone trying to reach people interested in the camino so they will be as well informed as possible.
Stay safe.
Buen Camino
Mark

Thank you for taking the time to comment, unfortunately my experience is that many are limping within a few weeks and around 50% who start in SJPDP are injured by Burgos. Others have shared similar observations about the drop-out rate.

I agree there is lots of information readily available however many, many haven't read it, or if they have, haven't allowed for the stress on the body through walking day after day for weeks. We have bandaged and treated many people with feet problems.

I am especially proud of the chapter "Walking as a System", peer reviewed by a Sports medical expert. If you have the opportunity to read it perhaps you could let me have your further comments. The e-book costs around $4.99 and is free with kindle unlimited.

BTW publishing a little book like mine never makes money, it costs more to produce and to be listed on Amazon on the first few search pages than it will ever recoup with small royalties. I am currently down over $450 and it could take 10 years or more to break even given.

My sole goal is to try and reach people and raise awareness; it includes links to Ivar's site and lots of free apps.
I appreciate what you wrote ans i am sure you have wonderful advice and can help properly educate the new pilgrim to help prevent “ preventable” issues and ailments before they become a problem. Having help I. One place is handy. I just wanted to let people know there are options. Nothing more and good luck.👍🏿

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good luck with your book Mark. I published a similar one about ten years ago. Still going strong with yearly updates but selling far fewer copies now than a few years ago. I think it's because of the quantity of advice available for free online (some of it very good, some of it not so good).

Gerald

Good luck to the OP but I believe that the " ultimate " book on prepping for a Camino is written by forummember @SYates.

Good luck to the OP but I believe that the " ultimate " book on prepping for a Camino is written by forummember @SYates.
Yes I like her book also. I sought to take a different approach and explored several area in more detail, particularly the importance of being well hydrated and the physiology behind it, and role played by fascia. There is a chapter on “ walking as a system “ that helps to explain the interconnection between tendons, muscles fascia and our skeleton. I haven’t seen this elsewhere, perhaps I missed this in other books.

Good luck with your book Mark. I published a similar one about ten years ago. Still going strong with yearly updates but selling far fewer copies now than a few years ago. I think it's because of the quantity of advice available for free online (some of it very good, some of it not so good).

Gerald
Thank you Gerald
Appreciate your comments. It’s interesting that despite all the publications and free advice a large percentage of people embarking on their first long Camino still are not adequately prepared and suffer unnecessarily.
We can only try to get the messages out.

Stay safe and thank you for all your efforts, particularly with the VDLP
Mark

There are likely many pilgrims who will appreciate a book that brings this information together in an ebook format and has a chapter reviewed by a sports medical expert. Much of the information and advice available is written by lay people who got lucky and feel compelled to advise others while writing poorly! Thank you for taking the time to complete this project!

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.