• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New book on the history of food and drink on the Camino: ‘Pucheros y zurrones. Gastronomía en el Camino de Santiago’

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
This article caught my eye this morning. There will be a presentation in Astorga on Wednesday to mark the publication of a study of the history of food and drink along the routes to Santiago.

"In the text an in-depth analysis of this subject is carried out, starting from historical documents and, above all, from the stories of a wide range of writers, both literature in general and, especially, travel stories to Compostela."

"The set of texts analyzed allows us to discover travelers and pilgrims from all social classes who are sustaining themselves in the most varied ways. They appear from humble walkers who collect fruits of the field, sometimes at the cost of receiving a beating from the guardians of the farms, to leaders who receive honors and entertainment at the highest tables."

"Throughout the book, the attention in the reception establishment, the rules of urbanity at the table, the products and preparations, etc. are analyzed. In the last chapter, a general gastronomic tour of the main Santiago itineraries of continental Europe is carried out."

(Google Chrome translation)

Sounds like a novel slant on the history of the Caminos! Apparently a Covid lockdown project by the author.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I need this!! (Seriously… I’ve been looking for something like this for about 5 years).
I’ve found several sites promoting th book, but have not found any means of purchasing online. Anyone know if/where I could order it online?
Is there a specialty bookstore in Santiago, for example, that could ship to me? If anyone has a recommendation?
Or perhaps @ivar intends to sell it in his books section?
(One can hope!)

I need this!! (Seriously… I’ve been looking for something like this for about 5 years).
I’ve found several sites promoting th book, but have not found any means of purchasing online. Anyone know if/where I could order it online?
Is there a specialty bookstore in Santiago, for example, that could ship to me? If anyone has a recommendation?
Or perhaps @ivar intends to sell it in his books section?
(One can hope!)
Here's the publisher's website: https://www.lobosapiens.com/ Unfortunately it looks like they only ship in Spain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back