• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Camino book - Behind the Albergue Door

Laynni

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (12)
Norte/Primitivo (16)
Portuguese (23)
My husband and I hiked the Camino Frances last fall and found the whole experience to be amazing. Then while we were spending a couple months detoxing on Madeira he decided to make it the topic of his second book. It deals with a lot of the practicalities of the Camino in a humorous manner while including stories and other details. I did a lot of research using this forum and other sites before starting the Camino and this is exactly the kind of book that I wish I could have read then. Here is the link and his rather, um, unique promotion for it that will give you an idea of his writing style:

“My wife and I spent 5 weeks last fall hiking across an insane portion of Northern Spain on the Camino de Santiago. And, besides coming away with flatter, wider feet and a lingering odour of pork and cheese, it turned out to be one of the best travel experiences of our lives. Of course, rather than call it a success and leave it at that, naturally I felt the need to set down a couple hundred pages about all the gory details, which is something I often find myself doing whenever I have recently overcome some type of significant hardship, or whenever I feel obligated to justify the Eli Manning poster taped to the ceiling in my bedroom. So, with the significant help of a number of fellow pilgrims, both on the hike and by contributing to the creation of this book, I put together what I think is a good mix of stories, humour and practical advice that will appeal equally to those looking to reminisce and to those planning a Camino of their own.

Hope you enjoy it! And if you were able to take the time to share this with any friends who may also be interested in reading about the Camino that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!”

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looks good - I just bought it

I picked this up after seeing it in the Camino resources section. I'm only halfway through but so far it's great! The stories he tells are hilarious and may not be about me and the people I hiked with but they might as well be since I can picture it all like I was just there yesterday. Highly recommended.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Is this only available in a Kindle edition? Some of us love the feel of a real book in our hands ...and on our shelves when we've enjoyed it!

Is this only available in a Kindle edition? Some of us love the feel of a real book in our hands ...and on our shelves when we've enjoyed it!

I definitely know what you mean. We have fully embraced the ebook revolution as a matter of ease and convenience but there is something to be said for having an actual book to read and flip through at will. Actually, Dean does have it set up to sell physical copies at cost, unfortunately it does work out to around $20 once you factor in shipping. But if you're still interested you can pick it up at this link:

https://secure.blurb.ca/my/account/login?jumpto=http://store.blurb.ca/my/books/4611249-untitled

Other than that, it is available in different digital formats (such as PDF) at Smashwords or any of the other major ebook sites (Apple, Kobo, B&N, Diesel) in addition to the Kindle format. Thanks for the interest.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I definitely know what you mean. We have fully embraced the ebook revolution as a matter of ease and convenience but there is something to be said for having an actual book to read and flip through at will. Actually, Dean does have it set up to sell physical copies at cost, unfortunately it does work out to around $20 once you factor in shipping. But if you're still interested you can pick it up at this link: https://secure.blurb.ca/my/account/login?jumpto=http://store.blurb.ca/my/books/4611249-untitled.
It seems I must "join" the club to have access .... so I sadly declined. But thank you for the thought, Laynni!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola,
I'm using this as my first on kindle. Had a few laughs already. Still slavish to page by page turn, hope it turns out to be a good read....is there a story after introductory sections?
Buen Camino.

Glad you're liking it. It is not set up as a chronological account if that's what you mean, but is broken up into sections based on topic (i.e. people, culture, dorms, etc.) with a some semi-fictional email stories thrown in to give a feel for the emotional rollercoaster of the Camino. There is even a bit of actual advice once you dig through the jokes (he fought it, by I insisted).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camino season is almost here again (I suppose it already is for those hearty winter hikers) and to help you prepare for The Big Walk we've put Dean's book on half price for the next 2 weeks. Just go to our website at http://deanjohnston.net/ to find the links.

Buen Camino!

Laynni

Just returned from 4 months in South America and are starting to think about taking on the Camino again. Nothing like some spring weather to get a person dreaming big. Good luck to all those embarking this summer!

Plan on buying the Kindle version and and load it on my Camino tablet for my Camino return June 2014-- I'll give you a review :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Working on plans for the Camino Norte in 2015 - doing my best to convince him to come up with a sequel...

Hi Laynni

Great to hear both of you may be back on the Camino again. And this time the Camino del Norte.

If you want to meet an American who fell in love with the land of the Basque and who loves to hike and lives now in Bilbo drop me a line.

We can have a coffee beer , pintxo or if possible walk a stager two with both of you.

Ondo Ibili !

Much appreciate the offer, we may just take you up on that if we actually make these plans come to fruition. As of now we are just in the vague planning stage, but we have heard so many great things about the Norte (and some frightening things) that we are certainly going to get to it at some point. Next year, if all falls into place, or maybe later on, but eventually.... Thanks again!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.