• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Camino Book

wannabeapilgrim

Hi, there is this a Camino book called, 'The Year We Seized the Day', has anyone read it? I LOVED it. Not like other Camino books, more about the author's personal journey's -interesting, honest, heartfelt, highly recommend it! (found it Amazon & Borders US, not sure where else). Please share your thoughts. Camino blessings :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I imagine this is a book that polarises opinions. I read it before I walked the Camino, and I did like what seemed to be its honesty- though maybe some of that was partly just writing technique. However, while I walked the Camino I saw people pushing their bodies too hard -like in this book- walking too far with excessive blisters etc- and I think most of them ended up taking buses. I suppose I think that on a long walk, my body deserves to be treated with a bit more respect and gentleness- but maybe I am showing my age here.

Also, after walking the Camino Frances, I did wonder how anyone had such an emotional experience on the Meseta: from this book I was imagining long days, far from any civilisation- so I was surprised to find that distances between villages were not usually that great, and road noise often seemed to be quite close by. It did not feel as 'isolated' as I had imagined. But I guess also that I had already experienced time to think on the quieter Le Puy route, where some days it was very rural all day.

I think we all have our favourite Camino books. Mine is a book by John Codd: "To the field of stars".
Margaret

KiwiNomad06 said:
I imagine this is a book that polarises opinions. ...

I think we all have our favourite Camino books. Mine is a book by John Codd: "To the field of stars".
Margaret

Margaret, I have to agree "To the Field of stars" is excellent. I'm reading Fr. Codd's book right now, hell I even woke up early to read more before work! Then of course I came home and Amazon had delivered my other new one...500 miles with Jesus...and this guys pretty funny too!

How's the arm???

Karin :?:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Read this before our first camino in 2007 and then again on our return. Thought it was a great read. Our camino turned out to be a lot better than theirs. There is a second edition out, I think.
Sharon

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.