• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Camino in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
None at the moment... but am walking the North Highland Way...
The North Highland Way has been renamed the Camino of St. Brian and we are hoping to work with other caminos in Scotland to raise the profile of the Scottish Caminos, including Orkney. This exciting venture took off in 2008, and, without any public money at all, we have already brought inward investment to Scotland.
St. Brian was St. Brian Arrowsmith, whose father served in the lowlands fighting for the Spanish, or so the story goes. So... there is a link with Spain.
The route is named after Brian Sparks who lived at Dunnet Head for over 15 years and was instrumental in launching the North Highland Way. Brian's English teacher was Mr. Arrowsmith! What a story! Come and walk the Camino with us.
We also aim to make this a sustainable tourism route.
There are no albergues on the route, but there are a number of campsites, bed and breakfasts and hotels.

www.northhighlandway.co.uk

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You are seriously calling it a camino? Just how much did Scotland and Spain conspire together back in the day? Is there nae a Scottish word for 'way' you could use?

Good luck with it!

You are seriously calling it a camino? Just how much did Scotland and Spain conspire together back in the day? Is there nae a Scottish word for 'way' you could use?

Good luck with it!
No... this is a Spanish word... and marketing in Spain needs Spanish words. Read up on history... and come to our event from 3-9 June in Belfast, you will learn about Spanish links with Scotland as well as Northern Ireland...www.tinasfreelance.com. Think Spanish Civil War where so many Scottish soldiers fought...

Thanks for your input... good stuff at this time in the morning!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't think many Spaniards lurk on this site. A lot of us from across ditches and ponds, though.

What is the Scots gaelic for Way? And where is St Brian buried?

I will do some more research and put on here. I would have nae idea about the Scots Gaelic word for Way? I'm a sassenach! Lots of Spaniards lurk on this site, and I will put us on the Spanish long distance path in the south as well. Loads of promo for your beautiful Scotland.... Oh and "lurk" is one of my favourite words...

Last edited:
Is there an overview with distances and so on for the stages that are mentioned on your website? I can't find anything!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will do some more research and put on here. I would have nae idea about the Scots Gaelic word for Way? I'm a sassenach! Lots of Spaniards lurk on this site, and I will put us on the Spanish long distance path in the south as well. Loads of promo for your beautiful Scotland.... Oh and "lurk" is one of my favourite words...
In Irish Gaelic it is Sli with an accent on the i. I am ready to have my head chopped off if I am wrong!

Well, I don’t really know what to say! St Brian? In the Scottish Highlands?
Brian Arrowsmith, who became canonised as St Edmund Arrowsmith, was born in Haydock, England, in 1585 and was hanged, drawn and quartered in Lancaster, England, in 1628 after being arrested by priest hunters. The relic of his hand is kept in the church of St Oswald and St Edmund Arrowsmith in Ashton-in-Makerfield, England. That’s his major shrine.
No connection at all to the highlands of Scotland.
The Scots Gaelic for the way is similar to the Irish Gaelic and is “an Slighe”.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Apparently, it is "dòigh" in Scots Gaelic . North Highland Way is A Tuath na Gàidhealtachd dòigh.

Is this Camino of Saint Brian name official? Or just someone's pet idea?

There is a somewhat similar proposal for a walk from Canberra to the coast here in Australia. The proposal was outlined in The Canberra Times and the article posted on Facebook here.

The views that I expressed about this Australian proposal seem completely apt for what is being proposed for the North Highland Way:

I like the idea of a walk to the coast. I would need more time to understand the religious, spiritual or cultural context of the chosen route. If those links are not strong, it might still be an excellent secular walk. I don't think we should leap to using the 'camino' name, at least not on the rather flimsy reasons offered in the CT article.

At the Canberra Friends of the Camino meeting on Saturday, there were questions about the practical details, but most importantly, if this going to be called a 'camino', what are the religious or spiritual links being relied upon. Just being another long walk, isn't going to be enough in many peoples minds - it will be seem as a misappropriation of the name without those connections

Also, outside of Spain, the many walks with far more obvious and strong religious and spiritual links don't use 'camino' in their name. They seem to rely upon the power of those connections rather than use the camino name as some artifice. Why can't we find an appropriate local indigenous name for this, or just use the term 'way', as was done with the St Clements Pilgrimage Way.

This looks like a wonderful walk, and as a lover of Scotland and a lover of walking I thank you for posting about it.

I'm not sure about "marketing" it as a camino though...I know that you have brought up some tenuous links to Spain but I can't see any real link to St James or (really) to Spain at all. Many of us here feel a lot of respect for the camino as a pilgrimage, and it means a lot to us, so this idea of piggybacking on it purely to "market" something feels a little uncomfortable.

I think you could gain a lot of interest from camino lovers for this walk without pretending that it's a camino.

Anyway...good luck with this project, it looks really great.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As a Scot who has walked a number of Spanish Caminos and long-distance routes elsewhere I find the marketing of a walking route in Scotland as a "Camino" a questionable gimmick. As others have pointed out there are perfectly reasonable alternative terms without so obviously attempting to associate with the successes of the Spanish routes.

Why not Durness to John O Groats, then over to Orkney & Kirkwall Cathedral for a " St. Magnus Way "? Genuine relics at end of journey, in that stone column.

Oh, I see Orkney already got a "St Magnus Way", that sort of doesnt link up. Oh well.....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As a non-resident Scot, let me say: Dear Poster, you can see that there is not that much enthusiasm for your pitch, thus far. A good few (exaggeration?) members of this forum have already heard of and walked the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Highland_Way and or the Great Glen Way. I wish you well with your project. And poor old Brian. Always look on the bright side of life. Live horse and you'll get grass. Seriously, I do wish you well. When there is a good enough and reasonably priced infrastructure, no doubt your project will take wings. All the best.

Lighten up folks
I'd be interested

I'm sure one does not need to walk a Spanish Camino.....
Via
Caminho
Bothar
Bealach
to find solitude/peace/spiritual experience/ religious experience
I can walk out my front door and find that

So why not a Scottish Slighe?

Best of luck with your endeavours
Annette

So Brian Edmund Arrowsmith, born in England, died in England, fought in the lowlands, was one of a group of martyrs, is to be honoured in the Scottish Highlands? Seems to me, honouring a Scot would be more appropriate.

Oh, I see Orkney already got a "St Magnus Way", that sort of doesnt link up. Oh well.....
Santiago has more than one way. Your proposal is still good, just needs tweaking.

I suppose the challenge of marketing this to Spaniards, comes with pursuading people from a warmer climate to buy a flight, rain gear and warmer clothes, to walk a more expensive route with no wine and no shrine at the end of it. Perhaps you could do like the monks in Conques, and steal a saint's relics. 😇

Whether the Spaniards come or not, Scottish trails are on my list to get to, so good luck with the project.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know theres a long history between ireland and spain starting from 1500s onwards with regards to joining forces against the english i dont know if scotland was involved!?

Is there an overview with distances and so on for the stages that are mentioned on your website? I can't find anything!
I can put them by the end of this week. Sorry about that.

I know theres a long history between ireland and spain starting from 1500s onwards with regards to joining forces against the english i dont know if scotland was involved!?
Indeed.. the Spanish Armada swept on up the Irish coast to the Fair Isle and Westray. Google the Dons of Westray and you will find my article.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So Brian Edmund Arrowsmith, born in England, died in England, fought in the lowlands, was one of a group of martyrs, is to be honoured in the Scottish Highlands? Seems to me, honouring a Scot would be more appropriate.

Santiago has more than one way. Your proposal is still good, just needs tweaking.

I suppose the challenge of marketing this to Spaniards, comes with pursuading people from a warmer climate to buy a flight, rain gear and warmer clothes, to walk a more expensive route with no wine and no shrine at the end of it. Perhaps you could do like the monks in Conques, and steal a saint's relics. 😇

Whether the Spaniards come or not, Scottish trails are on my list to get to, so good luck with the project.
There are thousands of Spaniards in Ireland.. both north and south. I spend half my time speaking Spanish. We are hoping the Scottish Pilgrims group will get behind this... and link up St. Magnus on Orkney with ours... time will tell.

There are thousands of Spaniards in Ireland.. both north and south. I spend half my time speaking Spanish. We are hoping the Scottish Pilgrims group will get behind this... and link up St. Magnus on Orkney with ours... time will tell.
Of course.. you are right... honouring a Scot would have been more appropriate, but we selected St. Brian (Sparks) as he was my partner for over 30 years and deserved Sainthood recognition for putting up with me for over 30 years. He lives in Scotland, and loves Scotland (as I do) will that do!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@FriendsoftheNHW : Could you please explain who promotes this path? You promote https://northhighlandway.co.uk but there is also http://www.northhighland-way.com/ which belongs to a different website. In both cases I can't see which entity or individual is running or promoting the thing.

Also, your website https://northhighlandway.co.uk displays the icon of CSJ and the words CAMINO PILGRIM™ THE CONFRATERNITY OF ST JAMES right at the beginning. When I click on it, it doesn't lead anywhere. Is this renaming idea supported by the CSJ? I take it that they are aware of their virtual presence on your website?

Last edited:
Brian Arrowsmith, who became canonised as St Edmund Arrowsmith, was born in Haydock, England, in 1585 and was hanged, drawn and quartered in Lancaster, England, in 1628 after being arrested by priest hunters. The relic of his hand is kept in the church of St Oswald and St Edmund Arrowsmith in Ashton-in-Makerfield, England. That’s his major shrine.
No connection at all to the highlands of Scotland.
I'm either slow in making a connection, any logical connection at all, or I am not getting the joke 🙄.

Because the OP says: St. Brian was St. Brian Arrowsmith, whose father served in the lowlands fighting for the Spanish, or so the story goes. So... there is a link with Spain.The route is named after Brian Sparks who lived at Dunnet Head for over 15 years and was instrumental in launching the North Highland Way. Brian's English teacher was Mr. Arrowsmith!

It's all camino to me. 🤣

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
St. Brian was St. Brian Arrowsmith, whose father served in the lowlands fighting for the Spanish, or so the story goes. So... there is a link with Spain.
Well, thank goodness for Wikipedia, after all! So there is no St. Brian with a Spanish connection as such, the Catholic saint in question is properly called Saint Edmund Arrowsmith and his father didn't fight in some lowlands in the UK, he was a yeoman farmer who had served in the regiment of a certain Sir William Stanley who at one point of his military career was in the service of Spain in the Low Countries. 🤦‍♂️

PS: Low Countries = Belgium, Luxembourg, The Netherlands. Under Spanish rule in those distant days.

Last edited:
Sorry, is this a joke? Why would you re-brand the 'North Highland Way' as anything else? In addition, we are proposing that the route is fast becoming known as the Camino of St. Brian?!! Why would you want to do this!? I'm sorry, I think this is a ridiculous idea. Keep the name as it is instead of trying to change it to honour St Brian who has nothing to do with the area.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well, thank goodness for Wikipedia, after all! So there is no St. Brian with a Spanish connection as such, the Catholic saint in question is properly called Saint Edmund Arrowsmith and his father didn't fight in some lowlands in the UK, he was a yeoman farmer who had served in the regiment of a certain Sir William Stanley who at one point of his military career was in the service of Spain in the Low Countries. 🤦‍♂️

PS: Low Countries = Belgium, Luxembourg, The Netherlands. Under Spanish rule in those distant days.
I didn't say he fought in the Lowlands in the UK.

@FriendsoftheNHW : Could you please explain who promotes this path? You promote https://northhighlandway.co.uk but there is also http://www.northhighland-way.com/ which belongs to a different website. In both cases I can't see which entity or individual is running or promoting the thing.

Also, your website https://northhighlandway.co.uk displays the icon of CSJ and the words CAMINO PILGRIM™ THE CONFRATERNITY OF ST JAMES right at the beginning. When I click on it, it doesn't lead anywhere. Is this renaming idea supported by the CSJ? I take it that they are aware of their virtual presence on your website?
Rachel Carson Enterprises runs "this thing" an environmental company. www.northhighland-way.com is run by a guy doing the route marking, but he is not taking into account horses and cyclists as per the spec drawn up by Rachel Carson Enterprises and the Highland Council. I also input into the Scottish Outdoor Access Group and the Land Reform Act in 2003 with Scottish Natural Heritage.
Yes, this idea is supported by the CSJ, they gave me the logo to put on it. The web site will be updated big time once we get the passports.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I didn't say he fought in the Lowlands in the UK.
I'm a non native speaker of English and it is entirely my fault that I initially misunderstood you when you wrote "in the lowlands" and I took this to mean any flat region, presumably south of the Scottish Highlands. Had it been written with a capital L, I would have understood immediately that it refers to the area that we now know as Benelux. 🤓

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, this idea is supported by the CSJ, they gave me the logo to put on it. The web site will be updated big time once we get the passports.
That the Cofraternity of Saint James supports a trail that has zilch to do with medieval pilgrimage, let alone the pilgrimage to Saint James in Galicia, and allows their symbol of the Saint James shell and their trademarked Camino Pilgrim™ logo to be used for your promotional activities is easily the most amazing statement in this thread.

Personally, I just ask myself why oh why. The Scottish Highlands are a wonderful landscape, trails along the Atlantic shore even more so. They don't need spurious promotional claims that, in my opinion, not only diminishes their intrinsic value but also the whole concept of historical medieval pilgrimages paths in Europe and the ideas that are behind their current revival.

Apart from the renaming of this nascent trail to "Camino of St Brian" which exposes you to the risk of being ridiculed, you name as justification for links to Spain in general: a 16th century martyr of England and Wales of the Roman Catholic Church who has never set foot in Scotland and who lived at a time when pilgrimage was already forbidden in England; his father who at one time had belonged to a regiment that was once stationed in the Low Countries under Spanish rule; the 20th century Spanish civil war "where so many Scottish soldiers fought"; the Habsburg Spanish Armada and their aim to overthrow Elizabeth I and abolish Protestantism in addition to other aims related to trade and political power. External and internal wars, not only but also religiously motivated killings on massive scales ... commemorating such events is not what the contemporary revival of the Camino de Santiago in particular is about. More than anything they want to honour the peaceful cultural and economic exchanges between the peoples of Europe in the past and their many benefits as well as foster friendships, openness and tolerance in present times.

Last edited:
That the Cofraternity of Saint James supports a trail that has zilch to do with medieval pilgrimage, let alone the pilgrimage to Saint James in Galicia, and allows their symbol of the Saint James shell and their trademarked Camino Pilgrim™ logo to be used for your promotional activities is easily the most amazing statement in this thread.

Indeed it is!

Thank you for your post @Kathar1na. It’s hard to remember that English is not your first language ... you express yourself so well in (within?) it.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Personally, I just ask myself why oh why. The Scottish Highlands are a wonderful landscape, trails along the Atlantic shore even more so. They don't need spurious promotional claims that, in my opinion, not only diminishes their intrinsic value but also the whole concept of historical medieval pilgrimages paths in Europe and the ideas that are behind their current revival.

Apart from the renaming of this nascent trail to "Camino of St Brian" which exposes you to the risk of being ridiculed, you name as justification for links to Spain in general: a 16th century martyr of England and Wales of the Roman Catholic Church who has never set foot in Scotland and who lived at a time when pilgrimage was already forbidden in England; his father who at one time had belonged to a regiment that was once stationed in the Low Countries under Spanish rule; the 20th century Spanish civil war "where so many Scottish soldiers fought"; the Habsburg Spanish Armada and their aim to overthrow Elizabeth I and abolish Protestantism in addition to other aims related to trade and political power. External and internal wars, not only but also religiously motivated killings on massive scales ... commemorating such events is not what the contemporary revival of the Camino de Santiago in particular is about. More than anything they want to honour the peaceful cultural and economic exchanges between the peoples of Europe in the past and their many benefits as well as foster friendships, openness and tolerance in present times.
Ah yes... Scottish soldiers did indeed fight in the Spanish Civil War, including my ancestors. We learn from these conflicts and move forward peacefully. That's what we all want. As for being ridiculed, I am not being ridiculed in Ireland. They think it's great... as they do in Spain....

The passport will be out soon... with a really clever QR code which brings up the accommodation in the area.
Costings yet to be agreed.

Ah yes... Scottish soldiers did indeed fight in the Spanish Civil War, including my ancestors. We learn from these conflicts and move forward peacefully. That's what we all want. As for being ridiculed, I am not being ridiculed in Ireland. They think it's great... as they do in Spain....
Oh yes and indeed the Confraternity of St. James do allow me to use their logo. I wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You can walk, horse ride or cycle the Camino... Let's get out and enjoy... the pilgrimage (which I will be taking in July in Scotland and again in September in Spain)

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 6
  • frenchies.jpg
    frenchies.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 7
  • horse.jpg
    horse.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 6
Passports? I walked the newly created European Peace Walk a few years ago. They did passports as well. I thought they were silly; they weren't needed and were just another tree chopped down.

Pilgrimage? Unless you have the bones of St Brian at the end of the trail, this is bait and switch marketing.

However, it becomes clear that you have a personal agenda and nothing anyone else says will matter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Passports? I walked the newly created European Peace Walk a few years ago. They did passports as well. I thought they were silly; they weren't needed and were just another tree chopped down.

Pilgrimage? Unless you have the bones of St Brian at the end of the trail, this is bait and switch marketing.

However, it becomes clear that you have a personal agenda and nothing anyone else says will matter.
It doesn't matter, as Prince Charles will get a copy of the new passport. Ivar is being sent rude links like this.

I'm going to start a new Camino too, It will be called Camino Tomas, it is about 600 metres from my house to my local bar. :)
Giving it a catchy name is a first step but that doesn‘t make it a camino. At the very least, you need to put up stickers along your camino to mark the way unless you opt for paint and yellow arrows, and hopefully owners along the path will not object to that, and then you need to sell passports and equip at least the pub if not a neighbour or two with stamps and inkpad. 😊

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well if your Camino starts at your door any way that leads to Santiago would be considered a walk to St. James.
Any pilgrimage to a shrine is a serious endeavor.
So if I don’t see how it connects to Santiago in Spain it may be my lack of geography. To make it known to others it’s great.
What I see here at home it’s a lot enthusiastically dedicated volunteers that do not profit from it, but old fashioned do it for the love of god.

Well if your Camino starts at your door any way that leads to Santiago would be considered a walk to St. James.
Any pilgrimage to a shrine is a serious endeavor.
So if I don’t see how it connects to Santiago in Spain it may be my lack of geography. To make it known to others it’s great.
What I see here at home it’s a lot enthusiastically dedicated volunteers that do not profit from it, but old fashioned do it for the love of god.
Which is what I am doing. I don't get paid, nor does Ivar.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This looks like a wonderful walk, and as a lover of Scotland and a lover of walking I thank you for posting about it.

I'm not sure about "marketing" it as a camino though...I know that you have brought up some tenuous links to Spain but I can't see any real link to St James or (really) to Spain at all. Many of us here feel a lot of respect for the camino as a pilgrimage, and it means a lot to us, so this idea of piggybacking on it purely to "market" something feels a little uncomfortable.

I think you could gain a lot of interest from camino lovers for this walk without pretending that it's a camino.

Anyway...good luck with this project, it looks really great.
You are right, I intend to do my own pilgrimage in July - just after having been confirmed in the Church of Ireland.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am closing this thread, there seems to be some controversy here that I am not sure how got started, but it seems it goes back some time. It is best if this discussion stops here... the thread has been presented with a link to the website (see first post). Each and one can visit it and make up their own mind.

Let's get back to helping pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago.

Greetings from a rainy, soon to be sunny and warm Santiago!
Ivar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.