• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Camino in Southern Italy - Cammino Basiliano

gvmelissa

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP - SdC 2014
Porto - SdC 2016
Norte - 2018
Ing/Fin/Sdc 2019
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I just spotted this article on the Cammino Basiliano, a new, 1500 km Camino in Southern Italy. Thought I'd share it here in case it's of interest. (is posting a link like this OK?)
I love Italy and this walk looks amazing! I am wondering how the infrastructure is for "walking" tourists along the way...lots of research needed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I received an interesting email from insight.com this morning about a totally unknown (to me) camino, in Italy, in the ‘toes of the boot’ of Italy. I have been looking at this trip, elevation, distances and remoteness appears immense.
There is an app on offer with free download and elevation map, While it appears that we will not be able to escape or travel for quite some time from Australia, this appears an interesting trip, covering some 1500 km. I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of it, walked this camino or had any personal information?
cammino bassiliano it is called sponsored by? Go.insightguides...

Attachments

• 351D153C-3CA5-48C8-9354-10951C08510F.jpeg
    351D153C-3CA5-48C8-9354-10951C08510F.jpeg
    611.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 270D7315-A729-46DB-87C3-F00815D33209.jpeg
    270D7315-A729-46DB-87C3-F00815D33209.jpeg
    798.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 9270FE64-2782-4C66-863B-1F8905053B60.jpeg
    9270FE64-2782-4C66-863B-1F8905053B60.jpeg
    633 KB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:
I love Italy and this walk looks amazing! I am wondering how the infrastructure is for "walking" tourists along the way...lots of research needed.
There appears to be a lot written about it and the ‘organisation’ has support for each area. I have never been to this part of Italy, no idea about costing, accommodation. Wondering even if this is purely walking on very steep terrain... is there road infra structure or many towns along the way? Seems interesting though, I like it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just spotted this article on the Cammino Basiliano

@gvmelissa, thank you.

To sample the wares of this route I picked on the village of Bagaladi, a short distance to the south east of Reggio Calabria, the southern end point of this Cammino.

I was interested to note the way enters this village from the east over a bank-to-bank shingle bed and exits to the south west along a bank-to-bank shingle bed for some distance, Either or both of these may, or may not, be in flood whenever a walker is in that area.

I tried for recent views of streets and found some absolutely stunning vistas. The website says "The trails are often not visible nor blueprinted (no signage?)".

The route map at Cammino Basiliano shows, in the area east of Reggio Calabria at least, a number of winding paths that almost turn back on themselves. While it may be obvious on the ground where the route leads, equally it may not. In other words taking wrong turns may be easily achieved.

With nearly 70 continuous stages, this cammino would take a significant part of the 90 day tourist time in the Schengen Zone.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going when you can)

I just spotted this article on the Cammino Basiliano, a new, 1500 km Camino in Southern Italy. Thought I'd share it here in case it's of interest. (is posting a link like this OK?)
Wow! Thank you so much for this! It passes through the town of my maternal grandparents! I have been looking at the VF or other routes and trying to figure out the possibility of walking from my paternal grandparents town to Rome perhaps. This looks as if I could combine the two!

I planned and booked a Camino on the Assisi trail in April 2020. It was torture to calculate the distance days and find suitable accommodations, many well off-trail due to limited choices or full accommodations. Italy infrastructure is not Spain for Caminos yet. But the challenge and solitude are reasons I’ll try it again, hopefully soon.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.