• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

new camino pilgrims

jolene

Time of past OR future Camino
14th September 2015
Hello Camino Pilgrims,

My name is Jolene, I am walking the Camino Frances on September 20th, starting at Pamplona, I am very excited, also nervous being on my own, a women in my mid for. Is there any other women who are traveling alone and would like company to walk with. Also on my walks I have been getting a red rash on both ankles and front of foot traveling up my calf any tips would be most appreciated. Thank you, fellow walkers :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello Camino Pilgrims,

My name is Jolene, I am walking the Camino Frances on September 20th, starting at Pamplona, I am very excited, also nervous being on my own, a women in my mid for. Is there any other women who are traveling alone and would like company to walk with. Also on my walks I have been getting a red rash on both ankles and front of foot traveling up my calf any tips would be most appreciated. Thank you, fellow walkers :)
Hi Jolene,
My name is Susan. I m starting on September 21 but from St Jean Pied de Port. I may only be 2 or 3 days behind you. Perhaps our paths will cross in the coming weeks. This is a new experience for me too. From what I've been hearing and reading there are many single people who are travelling. You're only as alone as you want to be. I'm looking forward to meeting some amazing people, and am looking forward to reflective time as well. Stay well. You won't be alone.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome Perigrinas!
You have come to the right place to ask your questions and get a bit comfortable about the adventure you are about to start.
You already have had an reply to your question about the rash....amazing isn't it??

Feel free to ask anything that occurs to you and someone will step forward and attempt to provide you with information.
Buen Camino

Hello Camino Pilgrims,

Hi Jolene, that you are excited and nervous is normal. And the on your one part, that doesn't take long. You will meet lots of other pilgrims along your journey.
I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi Jolene,
My name is Susan. I m starting on September 21 but from St Jean Pied de Port. I may only be 2 or 3 days behind you. Perhaps our paths will cross in the coming weeks. This is a new experience for me too. From what I've been hearing and reading there are many single people who are travelling. You're only as alone as you want to be. I'm looking forward to meeting some amazing people, and am looking forward to reflective time as well. Stay well. You won't be alone.
Hi Susan, only a few days to go and then you will begin your journey to.. ... and you will meet some amazing people along your journey.
Wish you an amazing journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Jolene,
Hello Camino Pilgrims,

Hola pilgrims! If you take a look at the thread below you can see the names of other pilgrims who are starting on the same date as you and make contact if you wish?
Please let me know if you would like to be added to the list?

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/2015-september-pilgrims.34666/

Buen camino!:)
Sarah

Welcome Perigrinas!
You have come to the right place to ask your questions and get a bit comfortable about the adventure you are about to start.
You already have had an reply to your question about the rash....amazing isn't it??

Feel free to ask anything that occurs to you and someone will step forward and attempt to provide you with information.
Buen Camino
Grayland given iffy weather at this time, I would like to be prepared for any change. Currently I'm set to start at St. Jean Sept 25th and have a reservation in Orisson that evening. As I understand it bad weather might warrant taking Valcarlos route. Can you suggest an albergue (or two) before Roncesvalles? Sure hope I can stick to the original plan. Many thanks.

Maggie..My information is a bit out of date in regard to current albergues on the Valcarlos route...but the Pilgrim Office in St. Jean will have the latest information.
There are two villages on this route with accomondations 1. Arneguy at about 9.5 km with shops and several hotels/pension. Not sure if there is now an albergue here 2..Valcarlos at about 12.5km with a municipal albergue, hotels, shops and restaurants.

You will be able to get the very latest info at the Pilgrim Office. Don't be too disappointed if you end up taking the Valcarlos route as it is also a challenge. I have done both and don't really think the Napoleon Route is that much harder...or better. They are just different. The Valcarlos route has the advantage of having shops and bars along the way. The Napoleon route has grown into a mythical ordeal in many peoples minds. It really is not that bad if the weather is acceptable. I have walked it in the snow and even then it was doable.
Don't let the stories take away from your enjoyment. The first day would be hard even if it were downhill! :cool:

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There is only one albergue on the Valcarlos route. It is the municipal in Valcarlos. Open all year, heated in autumn/winter it is a bargain at 10 euros. They also accept reservations. Valcarlos also offers restos, bars, food stores and casa rurales/hostals.
Do be aware that there are no services after Valcarlos for 16 km until Roncesvalles monastery. Nada; not even potable water. Be prepared!

Last edited:
Grayland, mspath, thanks so much. It will be what it will be..I do understand that. I was looking forward to the Orisson experience, but then I'm always open to the unknown. Thank you both for all your support. 6 days and definitely counting:>).

Margaret has the most current information and has walked the Valcarlos route many times (10 :eek:).
Be sure to follow her advice to be prepared after Valcarlos to Roncesvalles if that is the route you take.

€149,-
Hi Hi Jolene
I also had a red rash on my feet after the first two days. Turned out it was nothing to worry about
as others have said. Just a result of your feet get a little hot from all the walking.
After the first days walking I was giving my feet the once over in the albergue and another pilgrim
said "Oh my goodness, look at the state of your little toe". I panicked, had a look, then said, "it always
looks like that". The moral? Don't start over analysing.

As for being on your own. I started in Pamplona and had my first night "on my own" in the Jesus y Maria
Albergue. All very strange. I set off on my own in the morning. That night I stayed in the Padres Reparadores
Albergue. There I met lots of pilgrims, two of which are still in touch with me 5 months later. So it continued.
My "family" grew and grew. I'm looking at a picture now which one of the pilgrims from that second night sent
me for my birthday. Twenty of us gathered outside the cathedral in Santiago. This is only perhaps a fifth of the
people I met and talked and ate with along the way.

Ah, but perhaps you think you're different to me. Well, I hope so, because normally I get out as much as a
tortoise gets out. :) I'm painfully shy, but the Camino saw to that and helped me. The Camino is not like
everyday life. It's like life should be.

Since I'm already in rambling mode can I ramble a little longer and give you a little quote ?

"And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year: "Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown"
And he replied
"Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the Hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer
than a known way"

So I did. I walked out of Pamplona in the darkness and into the light that is the way.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back