• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Camino Project!

WanderingMind

Time of past OR future Camino
Landing in Madrid May 13th, walking from St. Jean around 15th.
Hi everyone!

I want to share a Camino project that my fellow walkers and I have been working on. The website is called ¿Por qué Peregrino? We made this website because there are many sources out there that are great for sharing logistical info (like this one) which is totally necessary, but there are far less that capture the essence of the experience. The goal of this website is to have a user friendly, central place where people can read about experiences and share their own.

Please take a look at the site and share it around if you would. We would be very happy if you shared your story with us as well! We all had our own reasons for going and it is certainly something to feel passionate about.

Also, let me make it clear: there absolutely no monetary gain for us in this project. It is purely to help foster the Camino community and to inspire past, present, and future walkers. The Camino is such a powerful experience of generosity and selflessness and this site will reflect that.

I hope you enjoy,
-David
porqueperegrino.com

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
David:

I have visited your website a couple of times, and saved it as a bookmark. IMHO, your site fills an important need for people to share the CORE of their Camino experience, without the hassle of maintaining a completely separate blog. I applaud you for this creativity.

While many people tell themselves they are going to blog their Camino, there are usually two things working against most folks doing so. The first is the effort to set up and maintain a blog as current. It is not something to be undertaken lightly or casually, and it does require daily effort.

The second issue is that most people tell the same story of the Camino, albeit in their own terms. This is NOT to denigrate each person's experience. But, if you looked at as many separate blogs as I have, they tend to sound similar after a while. I have seen too many partial or discontinued blogs that various persons started, then let lapse.

Porque Peregrino provides pilgrims a place to share their seminal feelings, their personal takeaways from the Camino, without having to go through all the effort related to blogging. Beyond that, issues concerning the "who, what, when, where, why, and how" of the Camino are aptly handled in this forum.

So, in that regard, I see both web sites as being complimentary.

Thank you for helping pilgrims share their experiences.

Last edited:
Hi Andreo,

Thank you for your feedback!

We understand what we've taken on here. I work in web development and I've seen projects like this start strong and slowly fizzle over time. We'll do our best to make it known through social media and word of mouth. At the end of the day, if the Camino community wants a site like this to exist, we'll probably know within a year.

We want the stories to be as varied as possible. It's okay if one story is about architectural observations, another about the physical struggle, and another the religious aspect. Hopefully we can avoid the standard (but still important) story experience. We encourage people to be as creative as possible in their writing.

I also see both web sites as well as the Facebook groups as complimentary. We'll do our best to make this site a success!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't think we should think about this website as having a "goal." The first question I asked new people I met on the Camino was 'what brought you here?' The range of responses was so interesting - and those beautiful stories are sadly only known to a few people at a time. Millions have walked the Camino, and we all had profound experiences, saw interesting things, or heard interesting stories.

We thought that a site for people to share their insights would be a nice thing. That we might relive our experience by reading some of these stories. And that people considering the Camino might be inspired to go after seeing what an amazing experience it can be. By sharing these stories, future pilgrims, travelers, or anyone else will have a window into the Camino.

I have found after walking several Caminos that one's hand and mind get writer's block after the first 3 or 4 days. The insights become something that are very hard to share.

Last edited:
I have found after walking several Caminos that one's hand and mind get writer's block after the first 3 or 4 days. The insights become something that are very hard to share.

I'm helping WanderingMind with this project and your point is accurate. I definitely struggled with my post, but it came to me eventually. We are more than willing to help however possible with writing this and have offered a few "prompts, if you will, at www.porqueperegrino.com/your-story.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back