• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Certificate of Distance offered by the Pilgrims' Office

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
In addition to the traditional Compostela and Certificate of Welcome which are still issued on a donativo basis the Pilgrims' Office is now offering a Certificate of Distance.

This new certificate has been produced in response to requests from pilgrims. It records the route which the pilgrim walked, the starting point, the amount of kilometres and the date of arrival in Santiago. The cost is 3€.

A copy of the new certificate is attached.

Certificate of Distance.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Will probably buy it.

John,
Is this retroactive? Do they have all the previous records so you can order it?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi - for the moment it is being issued to pilgrims currently arriving. Later in the year there will be an online facility for past pilgrims to order it. The Pilgrims Office keeps only paper records and you can imagine how many there are to search through. Where possible we will probably ask people to e mail a scanned copy of their credencial or compostela.

Will do! My wife, who walked only from Sarria, said I should get a different one since I started at SJPP! I'll wait for further info.

Sounds like a wonderful reminder of the walk we are doing and a way for the Camino office to earn some money so they can continue to offer such a wonderful service - I am sure Des and I will buy one.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In addition to the traditional Compostela and Certificate of Welcome which are still issued on a donativo basis the Pilgrims' Office is now offering a Certificate of Distance.

This new certificate has been produced in response to requests from pilgrims. It records the route which the pilgrim walked, the starting point, the amount of kilometres and the date of arrival in Santiago. The cost is 3€.

View attachment 8741
Great idea. No doubt I will get one when I arrive in
Santiago (God willing) around Nov 15 this year.
Thank you Johnnie Walker :)

View attachment 8741
This is fantastic! I will be sure to get one of these.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Al - it sounds like a plan to me. However, I rather suspect you can roll up all three certificates in one tube. On the other hand, ARE they the same dimensions? :eek: Nothing surprises me anymore.o_O

So this year is we walk SJPDO to Muxia we get a total of 5 certificates - that is going to make a great souvenir along with my passport and badges collected along the way - oh well I really did not need anything else in my back pack :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You know me too well John! But really as you are missing a fund raising opportunity here. The certificates should all require a seperate tubo as any business advisor would suggest, and of course be in quick fading ink and be issued with a form to order replacements! ;-)

Very interesting is the part of the document, which is written in latin. There we can read, that the cathedral is open 24 hours a day.

Greetings

Christoph

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is a brilliant idea.
I welcome this..I'll get one when I walk into Santiago next time around.

Thanks Johnnie Walker
Is there for it also a reason? According to my view this shows a discrimination of people, that are not in the physical situation to walk 100 km !! How can a "Christian" church can make something like that?
OK, Johnnie Walker, be the spokesman for the Catholic Church!!!:):):)

I hope my amusement does not make the question even more awkward for you. You are an excellent authority on a wide range of issues, from guidebooks to philosophical issues. I look forward, sympathetically, to your handling of THIS one. Again, many smilies :):):);)

Thanks Johnnie Walker
Is there for it also a reason? According to my view this shows a discrimination of people, that are not in the physical situation to walk 100 km !!
As a guide also of older, disabled and ill pilgrims I know enough of these. How a "Christian" church can do something like that?

BC

Raimund
Hi,

If your friends are not in a physical situation to walk 100 km then they do not qualify for the Compostela and there do not qualify for the Certificate of Distance so where is the problem.
It's about time that recognition, if that is what is required by certain Camino purists is at least offered. If then this makes a small contribution to funds then good luck to all but the renamed Camino Lights. I have witnessed so called Pilgrims from certain large countries alighting from a coach 5 km outside Burgos only to walk into town stay the night in Albergues. Next morning walking 5 km out of Burgos to rejoin their coach and continue their camino. If stating on a Certificate is classed as discrimination by you then I am all for in discriminating between genuine Pilgrims and just plain tourist.
John Walker who I had the pleasure to meet last year and the Officina de Peregrinos should be congratulated.
By the way Raimund how many miles have you walked on the Caminos?

Buen Camino Keith from Wales

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't think that discrimination in this case is a bad word. I believe that in order to get a Compostella for biking, you have a minimum of 200 km to ride.

I am looking forward to earning these certificates for myself, so I can be proud of my own achievements. Not putting in the effort makes the certificates not worth the paper they are printed on. If one is only getting them to impress others, is not only lying outwardly but to themselves as well.

Just my 2¢.

Kris

Raimund ..... I have a friend who is disabled, due to a massive stroke several years back.
He has no feeling at all on the left hand side of his body and has to CONSCIOUSLY make each step.
Yet he walked 200 km of the Camino several years back and, as he had a spare week last month, walked another 100 km.
I think he'll be proud to get his certificate of distance when he's able to apply for it.

As for those who cheat. Well, they'll always know that, won't they. Even if they fool their neighbours they won't be able to fool themselves.
Maybe one day they'll come back and EARN their Credentials?

Compostellas have only ever been given to those who walk at least the last 100km, or ride the last 200km.

As for the distance certificate, giving an acknowledgment of achievement is not discrimination against those who have not met that achievement.

We don't hand out PHDs to the illiterate or Olympic Gold Medals to those who come 4th or Americas Top Model to cross-eyed people like me. Not everyone gets to win Wimbledon or become a chess Grand Master.

Not always winning or achieving is not discrimination, it's life.

For those who are so disabled they can't walk the distance I'm sure the Pilgrim Office would be happy to come up with a piece of paper acknowledging their visit to the Cathedral, if enough people want it.

I recall acknowledgement of visiting groups during the daily Mass. I'm sure something similar could be arranged.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

View attachment 8741

Thanks for the information. Where do we purchase the certificate of distance?

Thanks for the information. Where do we purchase the certificate of distance?
Hi ,

John Walker states at the beginning, at the pilgrims office...OFFICINA DE PEREGRINOS , SANTIAGO where you collect your Compostela.

Hope this helps Buen Camino Keith.

OK, Johnnie Walker, be the spokesman for the Catholic Church!!!:):):)

I hope my amusement does not make the question even more awkward for you. You are an excellent authority on a wide range of issues, from guidebooks to philosophical issues. I look forward, sympathetically, to your handling of THIS one. Again, many smilies :):):);)

Hi,

Sorry I could not wait for John to give " the official Catholic Church response " at least he now has a can of worms to work with.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh I think I can resist Falcon's mischievous manipulations ;)

With 220,000 pilgrims already arriving each year into a Pilgrims' Office staffed by a small core team which is supplemented by volunteers who pay their own travel and subsistence it is understandable that there are some rules.

In order to obtain the Compostela pilgrims have to walk or travel on horseback or by wheel chair the last 100 kms into Santiago. Those travelling by bicycle have to travel the last 200 kms.

The same criteria apply to the Certificate of Distance. That's it.

In terms of those who are less able the Pilgrims' Office is very sympathetic and the policy is that each case will be treated sensitively on its own merits. Let me give a practical example. The Secretary of the Confraternity of Saint James wrote on behalf of a disabled pilgrim:
Will a disabled pilgrim using motorised transport or with back-up be given a Compostela?

The answer we gave was as follows: "This question has been debated thoughtfully and thoroughly in the Pilgrim Office at Santiago. We do not have a hard-and-fast rule about disabled pilgrims and power-assisted modes of transport. We consider each case individually, giving particular attention to the person’s motivation and effort. Our view is that if the person makes their way albeit with assistance for 100 kms and collects sellos on a credencial we will issue a Compostela. We suggest that you ask the CSJ for a letter of introduction and (if possible) have the CSJ tell us by e-mail when the pilgrim is about to arrive."

I can't see any controversy here. However if you want to have an interesting debate you might consider some of the other representations which are made to the Pilgrims Office:
  • Reduce the distance required to obtain a Compostela
  • Double, treble quadruple or more the distance required to obtain a Compostela
  • Allow pilgrims on power assisted bicycles to obtain the Compostela
  • Give Compostelas to the donkeys, dogs, monkeys and last year 2 parrots who accompanied pilgrims for more than 100 kms
  • Give the Compostela to people who walk round the cathedral and surroundings (approx 1 kms) 100 times
  • Stop awarding the Compostela to cyclists who historically have no place on the pilgrimage, don't carry their own gear, mostly travel by roads and not the camino routes and generally make life difficult for walking pilgrims
If you run out of steam with these hot issues which people put to us I'll post some more.

Please send your answers to either:

Falcon269
c/o CaminodeSantiago Pilgrims Forum
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/

Or

His Holiness, Pope Francis
Apostolic Palace
00120 Vatican City

Last edited:
On the day we arrived in Santiago in 2012 there were 4 young men with their disabled friend in a specially adapted wheelchair/cart balanced on a single wheel. Two of them had to hold it (it had no props/stand etc so they could not let go), the other two had gone for their Compostelas and came back with them as I watched. They had walked that friend all the way from (I believe) Burgos. A modern day version of the 4 friends who let their paralysed friend down through the roof to Jesus. Brought tears to my eyes. They left the courtyard with great joy - all 5 of them.
I really like Johnnie's post above - rules with compassion when needed.

A German priest with the name is Ludwig Mödl because of his broken lungs not in the situation to walk 100 km and, therefore, has written to the pilgrims office.
So no-one from his own, local, church is prepared to push him in a wheelchair, Raimund? Where there's a will there's a way. If someone wants something enough to put in the necessary effort, the way is made smooth for them.

(And, BTW, I don't think you have understood the seriousness of my friend's disability. He had the necessary will - he found a way. And believe me, it wasn't fast or easy.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Please! Can we get this thread back on track, rather than discussing the 100km rule itself.

Johnnie do you have any idea please as to when it might be possible to ask for the certificate on evidence from a previous year, and how this will be implemented? (2009 - Terry; 2012 me). If we are able to walk next year can we bring copies of our compostelas and credenciales for those years, or will it be preferred by post etc. Questions that might not have been considered yet I realise.
Just praying that we make it to Santiago next year again...........

Raimund, it doesn't matter how long someone takes to walk their own personal Camino. Even if that person walks only 2 km a day.
In England we have a saying "How do you eat an elephant? .... answer.... One spoonful at a time"

The certificate/s one gets at the end of the pilgrimage are not the reason we walk; but they will mean different things to different people.
If the only reason for going is to acquire a certificate, perhaps the motivation is wrong? God willing, this will change in the course of each perigrino's personal soul journey ...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

View attachment 8741

It does what it says on the tin just simply a Certificate of Distance and it is only 3E, its a bargain thankyou John & the Officina de Peregrinos in Santiago.
Just to continue Jamilla's mum animal theme......." How do you get 2 Whales in a mini car, simply drive over the Severn Bridge ". Just to explain I live in WALES and the SEVERN BRIDGE is between ENGLAND & WALES nothing worth blubbering about.

(EDITED: warning..no more personal remarks. Moderator)

Tia Valeria this thread may now be back on track unless some one else derails it.
Put me down for 2 retrospectively and 1 for this year when I arrive.

Last edited:
Please! Can we get this thread back on track, rather than discussing the 100km rule itself.

Johnnie do you have any idea please as to when it might be possible to ask for the certificate on evidence from a previous year, and how this will be implemented? (2009 - Terry; 2012 me). If we are able to walk next year can we bring copies of our compostelas and credenciales for those years, or will it be preferred by post etc. Questions that might not have been considered yet I realise.
Just praying that we make it to Santiago next year again...........

Retrospective certificates:

We are working on an on-line ordering system for the Certificates of Distance and some other things. At the moment pilgrims who wish a Certificate of Distance from a past Camino simply have to appear in the Pilgrims' Office with the relevant credencial stamped when they finished and it will be done there and then.

Best regards

John

View attachment 8741

What a great idea!! I will definitely be getting one of those!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The certificate is a wonderful physical memory of a walk that is inspirational - why anyone wants to argue about the right or wrong amazes me - to me I would happily make a donation for the Compostela, to pay for the new certificate is no punishment as someone needs to pay for the time and materials. Next someone will say all certificates should be available in a pack for the Compostela, the distance, the 2014 St Francis, The Muxia and the Finisterre (sorry for any spelling mistakes) so people do not have to go and collect them - how inconvenient - to me and my wife these certificates are a reminder and we hope the first of many - but what is more important is doing it - finding hopefully what we are looking for - though I have Des and really need nothing more - so please do not let these certificates cause people to fight just be happy that they are offered and like in all things in life there are rules - they are there for a reason and if you are unhappy with the rules then simply do not do the walk - but stop criticising what is (reagrdless of costs) our GIFTS. Enjoy your CAMINO its not the Certificate/s that counts its the experience on the walk and the family you make and keep in your heart.

One other point please remember this is basically a free forum with like minded people so criticising other members is not right - the forum members are all a large family - so be respectful and treat each other as you would like to be treated (a familiar phrase)

The next thing I could think of, is that each pilgrim who fancies a "CERTIFICATE of DISTANCE ", can use a special "lifewise" step counter (GPS locator) at the start of his/her Camino. It will contain an appropriate "Camino" chip, to be purchased through Amazon or other enabled "Camino" institution (CSJ, etc.:rolleyes:).
The chip will record starting and ending dates of the person's "pilgrimage" :)eek:), with daily distances walked, biked, wheel-chaired, horse-backed, etc.
Upon arrival in Santiago, appropriate ACMs (Automatic Chip Machines) strategically located in a certified office near the Pilgrims Office (in case of technical/administrative assistance), will process the data and issue a digital certificate on this same chip. :cool:
"Pilgrims", when back home, can then print their own certificate.:)
This method will reduce waiting lines of pilgrims :D and relieve pressure at the Pilgrims' Office, avoid stressed "Amigos" :p, save on electricity, heating, pencils, stamps, paper and other facility-related costs.
Ample "pilgim information" and statistics, made available from the ACM processing plant, could be used for fund raising from institutions, tourist offices, hotel chains, albergue operators, etc.;)
This new feature, after it's beta introduction, could be extended to all Camino walkers and perhaps eventually replace the Credencial. The question as to how "stamps" could be issued at albergues (hotels, hostals, restaurants, bars, fruit vendors, :oops:etc.) with their imaginative logos could represent a digital stumbling block.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The next thing I could think of, is that each pilgrim who fancies a "CERTIFICATE of DISTANCE ", can use a special "lifewise" step counter (GPS locator) at the start of his/her Camino. It will contain an appropriate "Camino" chip, to be purchased through Amazon or other enabled "Camino" institution (CSJ, etc.:rolleyes:).
The chip will record starting and ending dates of the person's "pilgrimage" :)eek:), with daily distances walked, biked, wheel-chaired, horse-backed, etc.
Upon arrival in Santiago, appropriate ACMs (Automatic Chip Machines) strategically located in a certified office near the Pilgrims Office (in case of technical/administrative assistance), will process the data and issue a digital certificate on this same chip. :cool:
"Pilgrims", when back home, can then print their own certificate.:)
This method will reduce waiting lines of pilgrims :D and relieve pressure at the Pilgrims' Office, avoid stressed "Amigos" :p, save on electricity, heating, pencils, stamps, paper and other facility-related costs.
Ample "pilgim information" and statistics, made available from the ACM processing plant, could be used for fund raising from institutions, tourist offices, hotel chains, albergue operators, etc.;)
This new feature, after it's beta introduction, could be extended to all Camino walkers and perhaps eventually replace the Credencial. The question as to how "stamps" could be issued at albergues (hotels, hostals, restaurants, bars, fruit vendors, :oops:etc.) with their imaginative logos could represent a digital stumbling block.
I'd like one!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One other point please remember this is basically a free forum with like minded people so criticising other members is not right - the forum members are all a large family - so be respectful and treat each other as you would like to be treated (a familiar phrase)

Family members snipe at each other right? We still love and respect each other.

Let's have a competition to think up other absurd questions! You can consider your pilgrimage starting whenever you want. You can add up as many of your Caminos you like and be very pleased with yourself.

However for the purposes of the Certificate of Distance, just as with the Compostela, the Pilgrims Office will take what they record to be from the first sello on your credencial to the last.

Next?

:) yeah I knew what the sensible reply was- but forgetting the certificate - our Camino starts when our heart says it does not from an arbitrary place where a physical walk starts

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

the Pilgrims Office will take what they record to be from the first sello on your credencial to the last
The certificate is about bragging rights, so it seems less valuable if I cannot get all my bragging rights on it. Some braggard starts in SJPdP and I start in Pamplona, and I have to ignore the five pilgrimages I have done in France and my thirteen compostelas, and settle for a certificate inferior to his?

It is a good fund raiser, at least.

I think you need to go on another pilgrimage Falcon. Buen Camino.

Would that now mean he has six pilgrimages and now fourteen compostelas, there seems to be an imbalance here somewhere or is he bragging.

So technically when does a Camino start when we decide to do it or just when we start at SJPDP ?

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app
Technically, I think it starts when you get the first stamp in your Credencial.

With this distance certificate in the offing I'm trotting off to St James in Sydney to start my next Camino. Should be able to get some kind of endorsement in my credential.
Google says it is 11,569 miles or 18,763 km from Sydney to Santiago de Compostela.
Oh, drats! You have to walk!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
[...]... for the purposes of the Certificate of Distance, just as with the Compostela, the Pilgrims Office will take what they record to be from the first sello on your credencial to the last. Next?
I've noticed that particularly French pilgrims are very meticulous in keeping their credencials for their Camino stretches which they have been walking bit by bit over several years. There are others, of course, who have a similar privilege.
It would appear to be correct that these pilgrims receive a Certificate of Distance, even though for them the main reward is a Compostela, independently from the time it took them to complete their pilgrimage.
On the other hand, for many Camino walkers it will polish their pride to receive confirmation, on an "official" Camino de Santiago document, of the number of kilometers they supposedly walked. (to be divided by 1.61 for miles)
It will be interesting to know how many requests are made (@ 3 Euros a piece) in the coming months.
PS. I shall now have my "añejo";)

@ Johnnie Walker:
What is the official name of the Certificate of Distance in spanish?

BC

Raimund
Going on a purely logical vein it could be " CERTIFICADO DE DISTANCIA "
Also on a previous question all credentials have a multiple choice declaration A PIE, EN BICICLETA OR A CABALLO.

Google translate is fantastic.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Weekchammings go to the top of the class - for getting this right we'll award you a Certificado de Distancia!

Thankyou John, I looked into see you last year with the large Welsh Flag to thankyou for posting some items to me from your office. However this year I am on the VDLP leaving Wales 4 weeks today.
My Spanish is still rubbish apart from beer, food and bed.

Take care look forward to meeting you again.

Diolch.................Keith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kanga, we will never see eye to eye as my blind one tries to look over my shoulder. Also I don't see the problem in walking from Oz, after all walking on water has been done before!
Tia, your story about the four people wheeling the fifth made me feel a little emotional, so you have got your own back on me there!
Johnnie, perhaps we could have an official weigh-in at the start of a camino and then a certificate of weight loss at the end? Obviously in kilos, but maybe with a conversion for those who deal in avoirdupois?
Jamilla, my name is Turner, so you can have my prize!

Kanga, we will never see eye to eye as my blind one tries to look over my shoulder. Also I don't see the problem in walking from Oz, after all walking on water has been done before!
Tia, your story about the four people wheeling the fifth made me feel a little emotional, so you have got your own back on me there!
Johnnie, perhaps we could have an official weigh-in at the start of a camino and then a certificate of weight loss at the end? Obviously in kilos, but maybe with a conversion for those who deal in avoirdupois?
Jamilla, my name is Turner, so you can have my prize!

Many thanks Al but we must return to the subject..........................for retrospect Certificates of Distance do we need to present all credentials from previous Caminos or just the first & last ie. Departure and Arrival.
I leave in 3 weeks so I'm bulking up to have a more impressive Certificate of Weight
Excuse me my French is very bad would this Avoirdupois be the mother of Petit Pois...................Mange Tout..................Mange Tout.............Rodney

€60,-
Johnnie, perhaps we could have an official weigh-in at the start of a camino and then a certificate of weight loss at the end

:D:D Very funny!! Hahhaha :D LoL

I only hope this is part of the Poisson de Avril thread the other day regarding charging 1 Euro/sello. Some of us live in small homes and one Compostela a year is enough for my wall space; there is no need for any superlatives, thank you very much.

€60,-
...... would this Avoirdupois be the mother of Petit Pois...................Mange Tout..................Mange Tout.............Rodney

Does the Certificate of Distance have a blank space to record Reliant Robins, then?

To ask a serious question:-
If asking in the office for a retrospective certificate will photocopies of the original credencial and compostella be accepted?
Carrying photocopies does not risk the loss of the treasured originals, and for some credenciales might also keep the weight down.

Hi

View attachment 8741
Hi Johnnie Walker
Am I to assume I can collect the distance certificate at the same time and place where I get the Compostela certificate ?
Also where do I have to go to collect the "much nicer" certificate at Finistere?
Thanks

I had to stop due to health reasons in Siguiero ( on the Camino Ingles ) and I am really happy to receive the certificate of distance at the Oficina! Un abrazo to everyone who made this possible.

I just wanted to add a comment about the total distances recorded in the certificate. Is Sarria 112 or 116, for example? As you might imagine, there is no unanimity of opinion, and different lists have different totals, just as all the guidebooks have different totals. I saw in Maggie's blog that she disagreed with the total kms put into her Certificate to mark her walk from Lisbon.

http://magwood.wordpress.com/2014/05/28/day-27-padron-to-santiago-de-compostela/

In my experience as a volunteer in the office (admittedly only two weeks when the staff was still getting used to these new certificates), the staff is happy to put in whatever (reasonable) kms you specify. So, if you are going to get a certificate, and if you know the total that you walked (some people used their gps totals, for instance), you should let the staff know and I'm pretty sure they will put in the kms you request.

The staff is really focusing on customer service, no more surly monosyllabic grunts for you at the counter! They are a great bunch of people and work very hard under what are occasionally stressful conditions. (just an unsolicited testimonial for the staff, off topic, I know).

Buen camino, Laurie

Got my certificate of distance retrospectively 14 euros is the donation from Ireland for a certificate of distance.

Is there a link available to order a Certificate of Distance? I have gone through the thread but haven't found it. I recently returned from completing the second and final 'instalment' of our Camino (SJPP to Leon), and did not know at the time that I should have brought a copy of my stamped Credentiale from 2012 (Leon to Santiago) with me. Disappointing to go to the Pilgrim's office and not get the Certificate. I would like to follow up, so would appreciate finding out how to do this online orsnail-mail style. Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Is there a link available to order a Certificate of Distance? I have gone through the thread but haven't found it. I recently returned from completing the second and final 'instalment' of our Camino (SJPP to Leon), and did not know at the time that I should have brought a copy of my stamped Credentiale from 2012 (Leon to Santiago) with me. Disappointing to go to the Pilgrim's office and not get the Certificate. I would like to follow up, so would appreciate finding out how to do this online orsnail-mail style. Thanks.
I used to offer this service on the camino store as a trial but it has now ended. As far as I know you can only get this certificate now at the pilgrims office if you show up in person.

Thanks, Ivar. I had mistakenly believed that I could get a Certificate of Distance for the portion from SJPP to Leon, however now I realize that the Certificate of Distance is really in addition to a Camino that ends in Santiago; or you need to bring the past Credentiale that has all of the cellos proving an ending in Santiago. I guess I just might have to do another Camino!

For retrospective pilgrims like myself (2011 in my case), it would be great to be able to order the Certificate of Distance online. Perhaps this is possible? Does anybody know?

Adam

Does anyone have the English translation of the distance certificate?

The Certificate of Distance is only offered to pilgrims who qualify for the Compostela

Thanks. I haven't seen this. And if I have seen it I either didn't understand or forgot. It makes sense and I'm glad it has been explained so well. Thanks all.

Last edited:
If you had a take a taxi or bus part of the way, but started in St. Jean do you deduct those kms.?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.