• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Compostela and Certificate

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
The Pilgrims' Office in Santiago is now issuing a new Compostela for those who travel by foot, horseback or bicycle the required distance for religious or spiritual reasons.

A new Certificate is also available for those who travel for purely sporting, cultural or leisure reasons.

These documents replace the previous Compostela and Certificate which are no longer issued.

Of course these are "just pieces of paper" and don't have the same importance as the entire pilgrimage experience or indeed the memories contained in the stamps on the credencial but they are rather nice :)Compostela.jpg Certificate.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just received the "sporting" one about a week ago. Nice and colorful! My friends got one (sporting) at the same time that had a different picture on it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Look forward to attaining the new Compostela when I walk again next year or 2016.

These look great. Hope to get my hands on one in the next couple of weeks! :)

Just out of interest, do you know how long the last design was around, and approximately how many are 'in circulation'?

Thanks for clarifying this!! I got the new one on April 29, 2014 and was wondering if they had given me the wrong one since I did indicate for religious reasons. Though this new one is BEAUTIFUL!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Can you please tell me the size of the Compostela. Is it A4? Just doing some NON planning to get it home safe, sound and flat. Thanks

Thanks for posting John. Do you know what prompted the change?
siryantra - Yes they are A4. There is a shop nearby that will laminate it for you if you want.

Just put it in the standard cardboard tube. It works for every other pilgrim on the trail! When I got home, I unrolled my documents and left them under a book for a day to flatten them out. No damage.

I think you run a MUCH greater risk of damaging them if you try to keep them flat in your pack.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just put it in the standard cardboard tube. It works for every other pilgrim on the trail! When I got home, I unrolled my documents and left them under a book for a day to flatten them out. No damage.

I think you run a MUCH greater risk of damaging them if you try to keep them flat in your pack.
Do they sell the tubes for transportation there?

Do they sell the tubes for transportation there?

Yes. You can buy sturdy cardboard tubes with plastic end caps at many tourist shops, but you can also buy the tube at the counter when you receive your compostela. Personally, I recommend buying it at the counter. I bought mine there simply because I'm sure it helps with the operating cost of the credential office. Since they are giving me the compostela, I felt like they deserved my purchase. (They only cost 1 or 2 euros.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you are continuing your walk them make sure you have a plastic bag to keep the tube dry. In 2012 on the way to Finisterra mine got wet.

Wow- you must have gotten soaked! Your advice is solid... I always keep several quart and gallon size ziplock bags in my pack to keep things dry, organized, etc... It's a lightweight item that pays huge dividends when you find that you need one! On my last trip we wound up using several of them at the beach in Finisterre while collecting seashells. :)

Anyone knows where the design and pictures for the new compostela come from?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
From a few different places:

- Santiago on top of Compostela: from Codex Calixtino, the original medieval "guide" of the Camino;
- Flowery art on the side: from "Breviário de Miranda", a prayer book from the 15th Century;
- Angel image: From "Tumbo A", one of the ancient and most valuable manuscripts kept in the Cathedral Library.

From a few different places:

- Santiago on top of Compostela: from Codex Calixtino, the original medieval "guide" of the Camino;
- Flowery art on the side: from "Breviário de Miranda", a prayer book from the 15th Century;
- Angel image: From "Tumbo A", one of the ancient and most valuable manuscripts kept in the Cathedral Library.
Thank you so much!

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.