• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New 'Compostela' only available this year

Thomr

Every 100 years the Francistern order produces their own 'Compostela' to celebrate the Pilgrimage of Saint Francis of Assisi to Santiago which happened in 1214 - 800 years ago and so this certificate is available this year (and then there won't be another until 2114).

I received mine on the 25th april and it says:
Pax et Bonum
Sancti Francisci
Conventus Composelae
Peregrinus Sancti Jacobi Composservi Dei, Francisci Assisi protectione, aedes, quas dominus Cotolaya fundavit, ad praesentiam et permansionem Fratrum Minorum in hac urbe Metropolitana, visit
De mandato fraternitatis suae Revmae
Fr. Francisco Javier Castro Miramontes
Guardianus et humilis in Domino Servus
This translates (imperfectly) as:
Peace and Good
San Francisco
Congress Composelae
Crusaders of the Holy One of Jacob Composservi of God, the protection of Francis of Assisi, house, and
the protection of other buildings, which the Lord hath founded the Cotolaya, in this city at the presence of the Friars Minor and the tenure of Metropolitan and inspected the mandate of the brotherhood of charge Francisco Javier Castro Miramontes And humble servant of the Lord Warden
To get this certificate you need to take your credential to the Francistern Church 10-11 in the morning or 5-7 in the afternoon. Once inside go down the left hand side of the Church to the big wooden doors where there is a monk at a desk who will check your credential, stamp it and get you to fill in a simple form with your name, age and a few other details before he fills in your certificate and gives it to you (they do ask for a small donation).

I have a map of the Church's position and a picture of the certificate (and the Church's sello) on my blog at http://footprintsonthecamino.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/a-compostela-only-available-this-year.html

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After writing about this certificate I did a bit more research on Saint Francis of Assisi's Pilgrimage to Santiago and found a plan for June/July this year for two nautical pilgrimage s to Santiago, one in the Mediterranean Ocean of over 1000 nautical miles and another in the Atlantic of about 200 nautical miles. The two fleets will then meet and make their way up river to Padron (where legend says Saint James landed in Spain and first preached) before the crews walk the 25km to Santiago where it sounds like they will receive this new certificate and the Compostela. I've gathered all the information I can find at http://footprintsonthecamino.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/a-nautical-pilgrimmage-for-saint.html if you want to read more.

Last edited:
Hola Thomr - so just to confirm this Compostela is an additional one you can receive. The one issued by the SDC Cathedral being the usual one!!:confused:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
After writing about this certificate I did a bit more research on Saint Francis of Assisi's Pilgrimage to Santiago and found a plan for June/July this year for two nautical pilgrimage s to Santiago, one in the Mediterranean Ocean of over 1000 nautical miles and another in the Atlantic of about 200 nautical miles. The two fleets will then meet and make their way up river to Padron (where legend says Saint James landed in Spain and first preached) before the crews walk the 25km to Santiago where it sounds like they will receive this new certificate and the Compostela. I've gathered all the information I can find at http://footprintsonthecamino.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/a-nautical-pilgrimmage-for-saint.html if you want to read more.

Hola. Just to be clear the certificate issued by the Church of San Francisco in Santiago is not the Compostela. There is only one of those which is issued by the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago. The certificate issued by the Church of San Francisco is being issued to anyone who queues up for it during the appointed hours.

Again for the sake of clarity those participating in the nautical pilgrimage whereby they sail to Padron and then walk 25 kms to Santiago may very well receive the Franciscan Certificate however as things stand they will not receive the Compostela for which pilgrims need to walk at least the last 100 kms in Santiago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that it sounded a little odd that they'd receive the Compostela but didn't know if the organisation had sought some sort of special permission from the Cathedral. Thanks for clarifying Johnnie

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Every 100 years the Francistern order produces their own 'Compostela' to celebrate the Pilgrimage of Saint Francis of Assisi to Santiago which happened in 1214 - 800 years ago and so this certificate is available this year (and then there won't be another until 2114).

I received mine on the 25th april and it says:
Pax et Bonum
Sancti Francisci
Conventus Composelae
Peregrinus Sancti Jacobi Composservi Dei, Francisci Assisi protectione, aedes, quas dominus Cotolaya fundavit, ad praesentiam et permansionem Fratrum Minorum in hac urbe Metropolitana, visit
De mandato fraternitatis suae Revmae
Fr. Francisco Javier Castro Miramontes
Guardianus et humilis in Domino Servus
This translates (imperfectly) as:
Peace and Good
San Francisco
Congress Composelae
Crusaders of the Holy One of Jacob Composservi of God, the protection of Francis of Assisi, house, and
the protection of other buildings, which the Lord hath founded the Cotolaya, in this city at the presence of the Friars Minor and the tenure of Metropolitan and inspected the mandate of the brotherhood of charge Francisco Javier Castro Miramontes And humble servant of the Lord Warden
To get this certificate you need to take your credential to the Francistern Church 10-11 in the morning or 5-7 in the afternoon. Once inside go down the left hand side of the Church to the big wooden doors where there is a monk at a desk who will check your credential, stamp it and get you to fill in a simple form with your name, age and a few other details before he fills in your certificate and gives it to you (they do ask for a small donation).

I have a map of the Church's position and a picture of the certificate (and the Church's sello) on my blog at http://footprintsonthecamino.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/a-compostela-only-available-this-year.html

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I don't think I went to the church at the "right" time. It was Palm Sunday and that back room was packed with kids getting ready for the procession to the cathedral. But the fellow was good enough to write me out a certificate!

I got one myself too. It felt really sacred when I received because the priest actually wrote my name on the compostela instead of workers at pilgrim office.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is really neat, Thomr. Thanks for letting us know. Another reason why I should go on Camino this year too. Are there any limitations such as any routes you must take, distance you must travel, or mode of travel? Your post about the nautical pilgrimage suggests to me that there aren't but I shouldn't assume!

I found it to be a treat! Surprised at how few folks knew about it. I did personally witness one in a group running up there to get the certificate for all of her group.
We got ours, make note of the times as it can be frustrating if you head there only to find out you have to be there at a certain time.
In my case we left Santiago for the Inglais that same day we arrived so chose to pick it up (with some planning) upon the second arrival to Santiago a few days after the first.

Camino Yogini - none that I've found but there seems to be very little information available on it anywhere! Sorry I can't be of more help

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404143112.602270.jpg

It seems you need only to request it at the Franciscan church at the appointed times with the evidence that you have walked the last 100km. I missed the time by about 5 minutes and they were closed until late afternoon (I had a bus to catch). While in the church I ran into a group of Italian pilgrims who I had met a few days earlier on the Ingles. They all proudly showed me their Franciscan certificates so I took a photo of theirs, but just didn't get one of my own.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back