• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do I register for a Compostela? (Pre-registration link)

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is HUGE! Save this link!

The entire key to eliminating all waiting lines for Compostelas is to use this capability - BEFORE you arrive in Santiago.

Use this pre-registration capability, once you are certain you are going to finish at Santiago, and request a Compostela. I recommend sometime during the final few days of your pilgrimage towards Santiago de Compostela.

If the pilgrim [processing system at the Pilgrim Office has your information before you show up, the new process combines advance data submission with automating the writing out of the Compostela and Distance Certificate using laser printing. it is really very cool.

Previously, it would take up to ten minutes to process one pilgrim requesting both a Compostela and Distance Certificate. With the new system, it takes less than TWO MINUTES on average.

INSIDE TIP: Use the restroom BEFORE you arrive at the Pilgrim Office, if you submitted your data beforehand. YOU WILL NOT HAVE TIME once you arrive. The 'queue' actually moves in real time. Over the Easter holiday surge, there were many complaints that the new process was so fast that arriving pilgrims did not even have time to use the bathroom while in the queue.

Just sayin.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Having opened the link, I find it interesting that in the pull down menu for the "Way", the Camino Mozárabe isn't listed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
‘Otros caminos’
Which also includes the Levante, the Ruta de la Lana, and many others that do not end in Santiago.
Technically, the list should not include de Via de la Plata, but should include the Sanabrés, as the former ends in Astorga, and the latter is the one that ends in Santiago.
The list in the "Way" pull down menu lists only Caminos that end in Santiago. There are some obscure ones that are not even listed in this forum.
So coming back to my comment about the list not including the Mozárabe, I find it interesting that one of, if not the longest Camino, which technically goes all the way from Almería to Santiago, is not listed by name.

I find it interesting that one of, if not the longest Camino, which technically goes all the way from Almería to Santiago, is not listed by name.
I suspect but don't actually know that which Caminos appear in the list is somewhat historical. Back in the days when someone in the Pilgrims office who collected statistics got into the habit of only reporting on Caminos with "enough" numbers to make it worth the effort of singling them out.

If you look back through the numbers you will notice that initially a large number of Caminos were reported on, then there is a break in the statistics and reporting restarts but with less Caminos singled out.

My guess would be that the original person doing the stats changed for some reason and that the new person decided to change things to reduce the work.

Being the longest might reduce interest in it for many, but not all, people. With less numbers doing it then it would get dropped from the list to be individually reported on.

Meanwhile, now that a computer is doing the counting and reporting no one has yet realised that this is a good time to revisit which Caminos are singled out for counting and reporting.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you for this link @trecile - I was wondering how to find it.

One question - is it possible to enter just one camino route? For instance, we are planning on walking (all going well) from Lourdes to SJPdP on the Chemin du Piémont Pyrénéen, followed by the Baztan and finishing on the Invierno. I realise that only the Invierno will qualify us for a Compostela but is it at possible to have the other routes added for the distance certificate? It's not a problem if not as it's the stamps on our creditentials that are most important to us as each stamp holds memories of where we were, who we were with, how we were feeling etc. I'm just asking out of interest.

I suspect but don't actually know that which Caminos appear in the list is somewhat historical. Back in the days when someone in the Pilgrims office who collected statistics got into the habit of only reporting on Caminos with "enough" numbers to make it worth the effort of singling them out.

If you look back through the numbers you will notice that initially a large number of Caminos were reported on, then there is a break in the statistics and reporting restarts but with less Caminos singled out.

My guess would be that the original person doing the stats changed for some reason and that the new person decided to change things to reduce the work.

Being the longest might reduce interest in it for many, but not all, people. With less numbers doing it then it would get dropped from the list to be individually reported on.

Meanwhile, now that a computer is doing the counting and reporting no one has yet realised that this is a good time to revisit which Caminos are singled out for counting and reporting.
This new process is all a work in progress. I suspect that, as omissions are pointed out, they will be addressed. That is the way it has worked in the past.

Have faith!

Hope this helps.

Tom

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
we are planning on walking (all going well) from Lourdes to SJPdP on the Chemin du Piémont Pyrénéen, followed by the Baztan and finishing on the Invierno. I realise that only the Invierno will qualify us for a Compostela but is it at possible to have the other routes added for the distance certificate?
My answer is based on what I remember from posts by forum members who recently got their distance certificate.

As you will see, or have seen already, in your case you have these three options for selection (in English): 1. Camino de Invierno, 2. French Way, or 3. Otros Caminos [=Other Caminos]. The chosen Camino determines the list of starting points from which you must select one - in case 3, the list is very limited, and the same applies for case 1. If you select "French Way" you have the option of selecting Lourdes as your starting point. These choices are of no importance for qualifying for a Compostela as you know.

When you wish to receive a distance certificate, you need to tick option "Print mileage certificate".

With this long description out of the way, here's the main point: Before the distance certificate gets printed at the Pilgrim Office, you can discuss the details with the member of staff or volunteer in question, and they can modify the data appropriately so that several Caminos and the correct starting point will be recorded on your distance certificate.

As I said: This is based on how I remember comments by forum members who 'have been there and done that' very recently.

Last edited:
My answer is based on what I remember from posts by forum members who recently got their distance certificate.

As you will see, or have seen already, in your case you have these three options for selection (in English): 1. Camino de Invierno, 2. French Way, or 3. Otros Caminos [=Other Caminos]. The chosen Camino determines the list of starting points from which you must select one - in case 3, the list is very limited, and the same applies for case 1. If you select "French Way" you have the option of selecting Lourdes as your starting point. These choices are of no importance for qualifying for a Compostela as you know.

When you wish to receive a distance certificate, you need to tick option "Print mileage certificate".

With this long description out of the way, here's the main point: Before the distance certificate gets printed at the Pilgrim Office, you can discuss the details with the member of staff or volunteer in question, and they can modify the data appropriately so that several Caminos and the correct starting point will be recorded on your distance certificate.

As I said: This is based on how I remember comments by forum members who 'have been there and done that' very recently.
Thanks so much, @Kather1na, that's great information 😊

This is HUGE! Save this link!

The entire key to eliminating all waiting lines for Compostelas is to use this capability - BEFORE you arrive in Santiago.

Use this pre-registration capability, once you are certain you are going to finish at Santiago, and request a Compostela. I recommend sometime during the final few days of your pilgrimage towards Santiago de Compostela.

If the pilgrim [processing system at the Pilgrim Office has your information before you show up, the new process combines advance data submission with automating the writing out of the Compostela and Distance Certificate using laser printing. it is really very cool.

Previously, it would take up to ten minutes to process one pilgrim requesting both a Compostela and Distance Certificate. With the new system, it takes less than TWO MINUTES on average.

INSIDE TIP: Use the restroom BEFORE you arrive at the Pilgrim Office, if you submitted your data beforehand. YOU WILL NOT HAVE TIME once you arrive. The 'queue' actually moves in real time. Over the Easter holiday surge, there were many complaints that the new process was so fast that arriving pilgrims did not even have time to use the bathroom while in the queue.

Just sayin.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thanks, I registered. Are we supposed to register for the mass on the day we arrive? If so, how do we do that?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks, I registered. Are we supposed to register for the mass on the day we arrive? If so, how do we do that?
You don’t “register” to attend Mass. You show up early, without your rucksack, stand in line with the others, and - hopefully - gain admission to the Cathedral.

You should show up at least 30-minutes, and preferably 45-minutes before any Pilgrim Mass to ensure you get in.

The best seats to see the Botafumeiro, if it is used, are in the south and north transepts. If you sit in the main part of the Cathedral, you only see part of the Botafumeiro as it moves in an arc. If you are sitting in the transepts, the Botafumeiro swings directly overhead.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I pre-registered for the Compostela while I sat in front of the Cathedral bawling. Was surprised to see that the website returned only a barcode and nothing else. This confusion was cleared up at the Office when I walked in, scanned the code, and they handed me a number to wait in line. I was expecting a long wait, but it was no more than 4-5 minutes!! The official looked at both my Credenciales (I am a sello fiend!) and we chatted a bit, Compostela in hand a couple minutes later. Such an easy process!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back