• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD NEW COVID-19 Test Requirements

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day from sunny Arizona. I hope you are doing well. Many countries have opened their borders and airlines are reassuring us that there is little risk of contracting COVID-19 while flying. According to a recent article published by health experts from Harvard School of Public Health, with proper precautions, flying can be safer than grocery shopping.

Be that as it may, the U.S. State Department recently issued a new requirement for travelers. In addition to wearing masks and social distancing, beginning January 26, airlines will require all passengers traveling to the U.S., including U.S. citizens, to show paper or electronic proof (PDF, text message or PDF) of a negative COVID-19 test before boarding their flight. The test should be completed not more than 3 days prior to the departure flight. Antigen or nucleic acid amplification tests such as a PCR test qualify, but antibody tests do not. If you have had COVID-19 within the past 90 days, you are exempt but must show written proof of recovery. Read more about the new requirements at the CDC website http://bit.ly/COVID19_TEST
  1. The good news? U.S. Embassies have resources for obtaining COVID-19 tests at your destination country, including the name of the labs and websites of the medical facilities offering tests. For example, the U.S. Embassy in Spain reports that PCR and/or antigen tests available to U. S. citizens for free if prescribed by a public health doctor, or by paying an average of €120 if they obtain the test from a private medical facility. You can visit the US Embassy website at http://bit.ly/Embassy_Spain for more info.
  2. Prior to traveling overseas, I advise directly contacting a lab or medical facility and scheduling a date and time for a test as well as confirming you can get the results before your return flight. Most labs can send you results by email or text message which are the airlines accept.
  3. If you or a travel companion tests positive, I recommend purchasing a travel insurance policy which covers medical as well as additional accommodations. I use a company in the U.S. that gives me prompt and professional service and on many occasions have gone above and beyond what I expected.
You can view the websites of U.S. Embassies worldwide by visiting the U.S. Department of State website at http://bit.ly/USAEMBASSY

I hope this helps!

-Adam

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hmmm...may work for those who plan to go to Spain directly, but for poor joe-shmoe like me who has plans to fly to CDG and then take the train, could be a bit of more headache? :oops:

Who do you use for Travel Insurance? I have used Allianze in the past.
We are hoping to be able to walk the camino in October if the EU lets us travel there.

Reactions: PDO
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are hoping to walk the camino in October. Will need to figure out where in Santiago to get tested.

We are hoping to walk the camino in October. Will need to figure out where in Santiago to get tested.
I’m fairly confident that, in due course, it will be both clear and easy to comply with the regulations in force. I wouldn’t worry until the month before yiu

Many years ago I planned my first trip to France with my car, using the Tunnel. In anticipation I read everything I could find on how to find it, what to expect, exactly where to turn, which lane to be in and exactly what I needed to do.

When I got within 50 miles of it there was a sign the size of a house with the words ‘France this way’ and a great big arrow.

Governments (at least in the UK) anticipate and cater for a greater degree of stupidity and lack of planning on the part of their citizens than is strictly necessary.

Having said that; imagine how stupid the average person is - then realise that half the population is more stupid than that ...

Would vaccination change any of the rules?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Would vaccination change any of the rules?
As far as returning to the U.S., the CDC is requiring individuals who have been vaccinated still provide a negative test. If you have had COVID within the past 90 days then, you don't have to get a test; however, you have a letter from your doctor stating you have had COVID within the past 90 days. I would advise getting a negative test anyways. It is left up to the airlines to accept and decline any letters from doctors ;)

Who do you use for Travel Insurance? I have used Allianze in the past.
We are hoping to be able to walk the camino in October if the EU lets us travel there.
I would make sure your travel insurance covers adequate trip delay coverage in the event you are quarantined in a hotel. If you are quarantined for 10 - 14 days, that could be expensive.

Reactions: Arn
Good day from sunny Arizona. I hope you are doing well. Many countries have opened their borders and airlines are reassuring us that there is little risk of contracting COVID-19 while flying. According to a recent article published by health experts from Harvard School of Public Health, with proper precautions, flying can be safer than grocery shopping.

Be that as it may, the U.S. State Department recently issued a new requirement for travelers. In addition to wearing masks and social distancing, beginning January 26, airlines will require all passengers traveling to the U.S., including U.S. citizens, to show paper or electronic proof (PDF, text message or PDF) of a negative COVID-19 test before boarding their flight. The test should be completed not more than 3 days prior to the departure flight. Antigen or nucleic acid amplification tests such as a PCR test qualify, but antibody tests do not. If you have had COVID-19 within the past 90 days, you are exempt but must show written proof of recovery. Read more about the new requirements at the CDC website http://bit.ly/COVID19_TEST
  1. The good news? U.S. Embassies have resources for obtaining COVID-19 tests at your destination country, including the name of the labs and websites of the medical facilities offering tests. For example, the U.S. Embassy in Spain reports that PCR and/or antigen tests available to U. S. citizens for free if prescribed by a public health doctor, or by paying an average of €120 if they obtain the test from a private medical facility. You can visit the US Embassy website at http://bit.ly/Embassy_Spain for more info.
  2. Prior to traveling overseas, I advise directly contacting a lab or medical facility and scheduling a date and time for a test as well as confirming you can get the results before your return flight. Most labs can send you results by email or text message which are the airlines accept.
  3. If you or a travel companion tests positive, I recommend purchasing a travel insurance policy which covers medical as well as additional accommodations. I use a company in the U.S. that gives me prompt and professional service and on many occasions have gone above and beyond what I expected.
You can view the websites of U.S. Embassies worldwide by visiting the U.S. Department of State website at http://bit.ly/USAEMBASSY

I hope this helps!

-Adam
Still hoping you tell us which travel insurance company you use....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have any of you seen this site? https://spth.gob.es/ Ive been reading lots of articles regarding rules to enter Spain - all say its a no go at this time but then this site which is a government site has this ? It says if you meet the requirements which i take as filling out this form and providing info i should be able to travel there....very confusing.. let me know how you interpret it.

thanks
Chase

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It says if you meet the requirements which i take as filling out this
I haven't read the entire site. Can you provide a quote about the "requirements?" Perhaps they mean requirements to travel to Spain at this time - i.e., essential travel?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/spain-travel-covid-19/index.html- this one says it under who can go. ( Visitors from other countries are not permitted to enter, unless they gain special permission from the Spanish government.) i can't find it on the sp gov page - but there is section that says US can not go but then you have the - unless you meet specific.. either way, things are ever changing - hopefully things are clearer in June..

It says if you meet the requirements which i take as filling out this form and providing info i should be able to travel there.
This Health Control form seems to be used for those people who are allowed to enter Spain. There are requirements beyond filling out the form! Those requirements relate to the many restrictions on travel that are changing continuously. For example, look at this Lockdown thread.

As @trecile asked, where do you find the reference to "requirements" on the Spanish government site that you linked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.