• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD New Covid Vaccination Requirements for US Travelers to Spain as of Feb 1st 2022

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

TaijiPilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2011), Camino Frances (2015), Camino Ingles (2017), Camino Muxia (2017), LePuy(2019)
I receive emails from the VisitSpain tourist information website, which I believe is the official Spain tourism site for the United States. Tonight I got this notice:

Update: Spain Will Require Booster Shots for Vaccinations Older than 270 Days

Starting February 1st, U.S. travelers visiting Spain must be fully vaccinated and must have received the last required dose of their COVID vaccine no less than 14 days and no more than 270 days prior to arrival in Spain. If more than 270 days have passed since the last required dose, travelers must show proof of having received a booster shot at least 14 days prior to arrival.
Spain accepts those vaccines approved by the World Health Organization, namely: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Astra-Zeneca, Johnson & Johnson, Sinovac, and Sinopharm.
All travelers are required to fill out a health control form prior to departure. The form can be found here: https://www.spth.gob.es/
For the latest information about health travel guidelines and requirements please visit: https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/

Coming from a website of the Spanish government, I have to believe this is accurate information. Feel free to fact check.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I receive emails from the VisitSpain tourist information website, which I believe is the official Spain tourism site for the United States. Tonight I got this notice:

Update: Spain Will Require Booster Shots for Vaccinations Older than 270 Days

Starting February 1st, U.S. travelers visiting Spain must be fully vaccinated and must have received the last required dose of their COVID vaccine no less than 14 days and no more than 270 days prior to arrival in Spain. If more than 270 days have passed since the last required dose, travelers must show proof of having received a booster shot at least 14 days prior to arrival.
Spain accepts those vaccines approved by the World Health Organization, namely: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Astra-Zeneca, Johnson & Johnson, Sinovac, and Sinopharm.
All travelers are required to fill out a health control form prior to departure. The form can be found here: https://www.spth.gob.es/
For the latest information about health travel guidelines and requirements please visit: https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/

Coming from a website of the Spanish government, I have to believe this is accurate information. Feel free to fact check.

I can not find the information about the booster shot on their website? Where did yuo find it?

And whilst someone is checking, can they please tell me what they define as fully vaccinated?? Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can not find the information about the booster shot on their website? Where did yuo find it?
If you click on the links in my post, I think you will. But please fact check me as I don’t want to perpetuate false information. There are enough lies in the world already. Btw, I downloaded your app to prepare for a spring Portuguese Camino because it receives excellent reviews.

If you click on the links in my post, I think you will. But please fact check me as I don’t want to perpetuate false information. There are enough lies in the world already. Btw, I downloaded your app to prepare for a spring Portuguese Camino because it receives excellent reviews.
The information that you posted (about vaccination requirements in connection with entry into Spain for non-EU nationals and non-EU residents) is correct. I did check. 😌

And as you said, it can be found through the Spanish government's SpTH website but it is not obvious. One has to use the link on the SpTH website that points to national Spanish law and then pick the most recent amendment for one of the Covid-19 related Spanish laws adopted in 2021. This amendment was adopted and published at the end of December 2021.

I am confident that the SpTH app / form will be updated in due course to incorporate this requirement when it will become applicable.

And if I may allow myself to make a personal comment: It makes sense. It is best to travel only when duly vaccinated and boostered, whether that's a legal requirement or not.

Last edited:
And whilst someone is checking, can they please tell me what they define as fully vaccinated??
The usual. 2 jabs of Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna or AstraZeneca. One jab of Johnson. A certain time period between last (or only) jab and validity of the vaccination certificate. This covers most of us here on the forum. Those who were vaccinated with something else need to look up the conditions that Spain has set (EMA or WHO list etc etc - the same as it has been for months). They call this primovacunación. Dosis de refuerzo means booster jab. Are you planning to travel to Spain very soon?

Here is the text of the new rule:

Sexto. Certificado de vacunación.
Se aceptarán como válidos los certificados de vacunación expedidos por las autoridades competentes del país de origen a partir de los 14 días posteriores a la fecha de administración de la última dosis de la pauta vacunal completa (primovacunación), siempre y cuando no haya transcurrido más de 270 dias desde la fecha de administración de la última dosis de dicha pauta. A partir de ese momento, el certificado de vacunación expedido por la autoridad competente del país de origen deberá reflejar la administración de una dosis de refuerzo.
Se definen como pautas vacunales completas (primovacunación) las establecidas en la Estrategia de vacunación frente a COVID-19 en España.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Truthfully, as a senior and my sister, an octogenarian, we am hoping to get a second booster by the time we fly toward the end of April. We received the booster towards the end of August, and it will be 8 months at that point. Pfizer is saying that a Omicron targeted booster should be available sometime in March of 2022.

The information that you posted (about vaccination requirements in connection with entry into Spain for non-EU nationals and non-EU residents) is correct. I did check. 😌

And as you said, it can be found through the Spanish government's SpTH website but it is not obvious. One has to use the link on the SpTH website that points to national Spanish law and then pick the most recent amendment for one of the Covid-19 related Spanish laws adopted in 2021. This amendment was adopted and published at the end of December 2021.

I am confident that the SpTH app / form will be updated in due course to incorporate this requirement when it will become applicable.

And if I may allow myself to make a personal comment: It makes sense. It is best to travel only when duly vaccinated and boostered, whether that's a legal requirement or not.

Did you find information about the booster shot being required?

It was only the required booster shot I couldn’t find information about. The rest I could verify :) …and thank you for using the app <3

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Did you find information about the booster shot being required?
It says so in part Sexto of the new administrative decree (see post #6 in this thread). Since the requirement will be applicable from 1 February 2022 only, as already stated in the first post of this, this requirement is not yet reflected in the SpTH form and the app and the website.

It will concern not only US travellers but anyone travelling from a risk area (nearly every non-EU country with only a few exceptions). Provided that Spain continues to classify all these countries as risk areas as they have done for months now. They publish a new up to date list of their risk areas/risk countries every week. The current list is valid until January 16. All on the SpTH website.

The new rule can be expressed quite simply. It's the same for the vaccination certificates of the EU people, except for them it's automatic. Their EU certificates will become automatically invalid when they no longer fulfil this requirement. It can be expressed like this:

Your vaccination certificate is valid when not more than 270 days have passed since the date of the latest dose in the series (where latest dose means either the second dose of Pfizer etc etc, the first dose of Johnson or the booster jab).* You must get a booster jab if your most recent vaccination was more than 270 days ago - ie about more than 9 months ago. If you don't do this, your vaccination certificate is useless. Useless in general and useless as a document to obtain the mandatory SpTH QR code for a flight to Spain.​
*Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2021/2288 of 21 December 2021.​

Last edited:
Hello, Everyone. My name is Jim, I'm 69 years old and I'm hoping to make my first Camino (Frances) in May of this year. Naturally, I'm following these posts with great interest, as I will be subject to these requirements when I go. I, too, checked the TravelSafe.spain.info/en/ website (thank you for the link) and concur that the vaccination requirements, and the completion of the Health Control Form, are valid. I also agree with Kathar1na above, who said "it just makes sense." However, did anyone notice that the requirement to fill out the Health Control Form applies only if you arrive in Spain by air or sea? Under its FAQs, the TravelSafe website says:
What happens if you travel by land?
For the moment, you are not required to present a form of any kind. Travelers from risk countries or areas arriving in Spain by land from France must have a vaccination/diagnostic test/recovery certificate.
I am fully vaccinated and I got boosted in October (within the 270 day requirement). That said, I probably will try to get another booster before I go, just to be on the safe side.
So, if I start my walk at St. Jean and walk into Spain over the Pyrenees, I won't need to fill out the form and get a QR code, correct??? Am I missing something here? Sorry... I'm a "newbie." I'm still trying to figure all this out!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm hoping to make my first Camino (Frances) in May of this year.
So, if I start my walk at St. Jean and walk into Spain over the Pyrenees, I won't need to fill out the form and get a QR code, correct??? Am I missing something here? Sorry... I'm a "newbie." I'm still trying to figure all this out!!
First of all: Welcome to the forum, @jbreuner.

Then: Buen Camino for your Camino in May this year!

And finally: Correct. When you start in Saint Jean and walk into Spain over the Pyrenees, you don't have to fill out the form and you don't have to get an SpTH QR code. However ... (see below) 😁

The "However" bit is this (roughly): Now you are no longer flying into Spain from a non-EU country but travelling over land to Spain from another EU country. Which is divided into a number of regions where each region is classified by the Spanish government as a risk area or not a risk area (the list is updated every week and published on the SpTH website). A different set of rules applies. No forms to fill out and no SpTH QR code to apply for but there may be requirements about vaccination/tests in place for entering Spain. Also, numerous people will now want to point out that there is no control at all at the French-Spanish border that you cross high up on a mountain. Let us simply not talk about this and wait until we are closer to May 😊. And just to reassure you: No matter what, I am fairly confident and fairly optimistic that you will not have to worry about this in any way, a) because it's May 2022 and b) because you will have followed common vaccination recommendations. Buen Camino again!

Last edited:
And whilst someone is checking, can they please tell me what they define as fully vaccinated?? Thanks.

I believe it is the 2 initial shots plus two boosters.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No, the initial shot or series of two shots, depending on the vaccine, (one for J&J/Janssen, two for Moderna, Pfizer and Astra Zeneca) and one booster shot.
Kather1na says 2 shots, Lance believes it to be 2 shots and 2 boosters and trecile says 2 shots and 1 booster.
As someone who will have had 2 shots but no booster by the time I want to go to Spain (too early for it), all is still as clear as mud. I have a suspicion that people are conflating what their own country considers to be fully jabbed with what Spain thinks it means.

If it has been less than 270 days since you had the complete initial course of vaccinations then you you are still considered by Spain to be fully vaccinated. However, if it has been more than 270 days since the completion of your initial course of vaccinations you need a booster shot to be considered fully vaccinated. The booster is a single shot, not two.

This is what @Kathar1na said. And what @TaijiPilgrim wrote in the initial post.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As someone who will have had 2 shots but no booster by the time I want to go to Spain (too early for it), all is still as clear as mud
When did you get your last shot? If it's less than 270 days before you enter Spain you're good to go. If it's more than that you will need a single booster shot, which you must have received more than two weeks before arrival.

The information is here

Here's a screen shot of the relevant part. Please note that requirements differ depending on the country you are coming from. This information is for those coming from the US.

20220113_234706.jpg

Last edited:
The legal text (see quote in earlier post) says: Se definen como pautas vacunales completas (primovacunación) las establecidas en la Estrategia de vacunación frente a COVID-19 en España. Translated into English: Complete vaccination schedules (primovaccination) are defined as those established in the COVID-19 vaccination strategy in Spain. Instead of complete vaccination schedule one could also have chosen fully vaccinated as a valid translation

Google Estrategia de vacunación frente a COVID-19 en España and you will find the official paper. It is 16 pages and is was updated for the last time on 27 December 2021.

I did not bother to read it because to me it is clear what is expected of me should I travel to Spain within the next few months. Plus, I have an EU Digital Covid Certifcate anyway. If my scanning app says that it‘s valid, it will be what Spain requires. Second Pfizer jab in late May, booster jab in early December (6 months later). And if a fourth jab is recommended - whether another booster or start of a new series or whatever it will be called here where I live or in Spain - I‘ll get that, too. Whether it is required to get the SpTH QR code or not.

Spain doesn’t require something unusual here.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Also, google primovacunacion and dosis de recuerdo. They are precisely defined concepts used in general in Spanish and by the national Spanish Health Department in particular.

For example on the website of the health authorities of one Autonomous Region in Spain: https://www.ibsalut.es › que-es-la-vac...

Primovacunación: es la pauta vacunal necesaria (una dosis o más) para considerar una persona no vacunada antes, inmunizada en un momento determinado.​

Which means in English: Fully vaccinated = When a person who had not been vaccinated before has received the necessary doses (one or more) so that the person is regarded as immunised from a specific time onwards.

Last edited:
Also, google primovacunacion and dosis de recuerdo. They are precisely defined concepts used in general in Spanish and by the national Spanish Health Department in particular.

For example on the website of the health authorities of one Autonomous Region in Spain: https://www.ibsalut.es › que-es-la-vac...

Primovacunación: es la pauta vacunal necesaria (una dosis o más) para considerar una persona no vacunada antes, inmunizada en un momento determinado.​

Which means in English: Fully vaccinated = When a person who had not been vaccinated before has received the necessary doses (one or more) so that the person is regarded as immunised from a specific time onwards.
Thank you for that clarity Kathar!na.

Thanks to @trecile and @Kathar1na for the clarity provided about the current regulations. You guys do a great job of keeping us up to date on the most recent requirements.

It is pointless to speculate, I know, but just to highlight how this is a continually moving target, it will be interesting to see how long the “booster” continues to have validity for entry into Spain. I know there is nothing to suggest that there will be another 270 day window, but a lot of us older folk were boosted in September/October, and 270 days from September is approximately the beginning of June.

So we will all have to be on our toes for sure.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Truthfully, as a senior and my sister, an octogenarian, we am hoping to get a second booster by the time we fly toward the end of April. We received the booster towards the end of August, and it will be 8 months at that point. Pfizer is saying that a Omicron targeted booster should be available sometime in March of 2022.

Don’t forget to give yourself 2 weeks for the vaccine booster to become effective. Your body needs time to ramp up with the biological information to get the full immune boost (not present at all for the first 72 hours post-shot, and considered fully functional at 2 weeks).

Don’t forget to give yourself 2 weeks for the vaccine booster to become effective. Your body needs time to ramp up with the biological information to get the full immune boost (not present at all for the first 72 hours post-shot, and considered fully functional at 2 weeks).

We are not leaving till the last week of April. So We are hoping to get it…by 15th?😀

We are not leaving till the last week of April. So We are hoping to get it…by 15th?😀
Depends when in the last week... for the 15th to work out for you, you'd have to delay departure to the last day of April. So... I'd try for inside the first or second week of April.
I hope you can manage it!!! I know that people are starting to get that next (4th) shot, so if you have the opportunity, then there's nothing but benefit!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Depends when in the last week... for the 15th to work out for you, you'd have to delay departure to the last day of April. So... I'd try for inside the first or second week of April.
I hope you can manage it!!! I know that people are starting to get that next (4th) shot, so if you have the opportunity, then there's nothing but benefit!!
According to Pfizer,the booster targeting Omicron won’t be available until March. Folks who are getting the 2nd boosters in Europe and Israel, are getting the-p same vaccine as the first booster as I understand it. I would like to get the omicron target booster, when available.

According to Pfizer,the booster targeting Omicron won’t be available until March. Folks who are getting the 2nd boosters in Europe and Israel, are getting the-p same vaccine as the first booster as I understand it. I would like to get the omicron target booster, when available.
Have you already received a Covid booster? If so, presumably more than 270 days will not have passed before your trip to Spain, correct?
But it sounds like you are wanting a 2nd booster before you travel.
I'm don't think that it's a sure thing yet that there will be an Omicron specific booster.

Have you already received a Covid booster? If so, presumably more than 270 days will not have passed before your trip to Spain, correct?
But it sounds like you are wanting a 2nd booster before you travel.
I'm don't think that it's a sure thing yet that there will be an Omicron specific booster.
YES, boostered the end of August. And Yes, you are correct, there is no guarantee that a vax will be available….which is of concern. We would fall within the 270 days and be home before time frame becomes problematic, but I would really want to get a 2nd booster unless Omicron really burns out for this season.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
it will be interesting to see how long the “booster” continues to have validity for entry into Spain. I know there is nothing to suggest that there will be another 270 day window
Correct.

I detect a bit of confusion in the thread 🤔. At this point in time, there is nothing being said about the period of validity of the booster jab. At this moment in time, the booster jab has an indefinite / unlimited validity (for entry into Spain).

Booster vaccination is not the solution.
Vaccination the whole world is.
The rich countries must do more to make this possible.🙏
If The Covid pandemic has highlighted one thing regarding the distribution of the vaccine…it is not only that “rich” countries need to do “more” ….
India has been the biggest-producer of vaccines, but when I read the article below, it brought home how difficult the complex distribution of a vaccine can be…Not just in India but all over the world.

….South Africa’s vaccination program peaked at about 211,000 vaccinations a day. By September, the national vaccination rate had slowed to about 110,000 per day.
He pointed to three factors: significant vaccine hesitancy, apathy and structural barriers, which include people being unable to afford to travel to vaccine sites. He also noted that South Africa’s vaccination program started six months after those in Western countries, which began vaccinating people shortly after Pfizer-BioNTech’s and Moderna’s vaccines were authorized in December 2020.

(Washington Post for those without subscription.)

Indeed vaccinating the entire world is a global problem that won’t be solved by us simply delaying for our next booster when warranted.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As to the booster jab and the validity of vaccination passports, there‘s a new twist in the ongoing saga, for tourists in France this time where a valid vaccination passport is useful if you want to wine and dine in restaurants, and who doesn’t. As of today, January 15, the pass sanitaire, as the French call their vaccination passport and equivalent, is no longer valid if your vaccination jab was more than 7 months ago and you are not boostered. However, it is still good for travelling and in particular for travelling into France.

No matter what your idea of global vaccination policy is and your concern for your own health, for international travel in Europe getting your booster jab looks like a good idea, if merely for practical reasons and less hassle during your trip. See À partir du 15 janvier 2022 in the following article published by the French government:

Last edited:
Hello, Everyone. My name is Jim, I'm 69 years old and I'm hoping to make my first Camino (Frances) in May of this year. Naturally, I'm following these posts with great interest, as I will be subject to these requirements when I go. I, too, checked the TravelSafe.spain.info/en/ website (thank you for the link) and concur that the vaccination requirements, and the completion of the Health Control Form, are valid. I also agree with Kathar1na above, who said "it just makes sense." However, did anyone notice that the requirement to fill out the Health Control Form applies only if you arrive in Spain by air or sea? Under its FAQs, the TravelSafe website says:
What happens if you travel by land?
For the moment, you are not required to present a form of any kind. Travelers from risk countries or areas arriving in Spain by land from France must have a vaccination/diagnostic test/recovery certificate.
I am fully vaccinated and I got boosted in October (within the 270 day requirement). That said, I probably will try to get another booster before I go, just to be on the safe side.
Thank you, good to know.

After reading your post, a very delayed lightbulb came on and I realized I'm first landing in Lisbon then a connecting flight to Bilbao, then after a few days in the Barcelona area, up to SJPD to turn around and walk back into Spain. I now have almost four entry points (if initial stop in Portugal is considered one)...anyone else experience border hopping like I seem to have created for myself?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I checked the Visit Spain website (https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/) I found the explanation clear enough - for an original Spanish language directive translated into English. I suspect THAT is the missing element of this dialog.

When I parsed the rules, here is what I read:

1. The last vaccination of your first round (e.g. two shots except for the J&J vaccine) must be not more that 270 days before you show up asking to be let into Spain.
2. If the last shot in that series is more than 270 days old, you must show evidence of a booster (I read it to mean a single booster vaccination).
3. I did not see an inference that one had to have additional booster jabs beyond the third one - second if using the J&J vaccine.

Also, and this is critical, I read that

"You must show a negative COVID-19 test result. NAAT (PCR, LAMP, TMA or equivalent) test types are accepted in Spain. You must show a negative result of a NAAT test taken within 72 hours OR an antigen test taken within 48 hours prior to your arrival."

I did not see that anyone mentioned this in the thread. In this regard, the rules have not changed since I traveled to Spain in early September 2021. I had a PCR test within the 72 hours as prescribed. However, no one ever asked for it. I plan to do it once again on my next trip to Spain, regardless of whether they ask for it or not.

I had my third Moderna shot - the booster - in mid-August 2021. Presently, I am waiting for the medical authorities here to tell me that I need a fourth booster. I am also keen to follow what happens in Spain and the rest of Europe. I will do whatever the Spanish authorities direct.

My next planned trip to Spain, COVID permitting, will be in May / June 2022 to do some sort of Camino. I already put in a request to volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in August - after His Holiness the Pope departs.

Hope this helps the dialog.

Tom

Thank you, good to know.

After reading your post, a very delayed lightbulb came on and I realized I'm first landing in Lisbon then a connecting flight to Bilbao, then after a few days in the Barcelona area, up to SJPD to turn around and walk back into Spain. I now have almost four entry points (if initial stop in Portugal is considered one)...anyone else experience border hopping like I seem to have created for myself?
Check this official EU website for requirements to enter each EU country.

When I checked the Visit Spain website (https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/) I found the explanation clear enough - for an original Spanish language directive translated into English. I suspect THAT is the missing element of this dialog.

When I parsed the rules, here is what I read:

1. The last vaccination of your first round (e.g. two shots except for the J&J vaccine) must be not more that 270 days before you show up asking to be let into Spain.
2. If the last shot in that series is more than 270 days old, you must show evidence of a booster (I read it to mean a single booster vaccination).
3. I did not see an inference that one had to have additional booster jabs beyond the third one - second if using the J&J vaccine.

Also, and this is critical, I read that

"You must show a negative COVID-19 test result. NAAT (PCR, LAMP, TMA or equivalent) test types are accepted in Spain. You must show a negative result of a NAAT test taken within 72 hours OR an antigen test taken within 48 hours prior to your arrival."

I did not see that anyone mentioned this in the thread. In this regard, the rules have not changed since I traveled to Spain in early September 2021. I had a PCR test within the 72 hours as prescribed. However, no one ever asked for it. I plan to do it once again on my next trip to Spain, regardless of whether they ask for it or not.

I had my third Moderna shot - the booster - in mid-August 2021. Presently, I am waiting for the medical authorities here to tell me that I need a fourth booster. I am also keen to follow what happens in Spain and the rest of Europe. I will do whatever the Spanish authorities direct.

My next planned trip to Spain, COVID permitting, will be in May / June 2022 to do some sort of Camino. I already put in a request to volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in August - after His Holiness the Pope departs.

Hope this helps the dialog.

Tom

Tom, this is, I believe for exceptions of non-vaccinated as I read it. As I recall you had medical issues or Covid before you went? Perhaps this is why you needed or wanted the test then?

As a vaccinated arrival, I was not required to take any tests when I arrived in Spain in 9/2021. I am not aware of changes in testing requirements for vaccinated at this point?

See your quoted section below

2. Travellers who are in any of the exceptional situations and do NOT have a vaccination certificate, must present the diagnostic certificate or the recovery certificate.
O
2.1. Diagnostic certificate. You must show a negative COVID-19 test result. NAAT (PCR, LAMP, TMA or equivalent) test types are accepted in Spain. You must show a negative result of a NAAT test taken within 72 hours OR an antigen test taken within 48 hours prior to your arrival.

2.2. Recovery certificate (up to 180 days from the date on which the sample was taken).

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you, good to know.

I flew to Spain on Dec 29 on TAP airlines via Lisbon to Malaga. Even though I was only transiting through, Portugal required I meet their current entry rules, which included proof of vaccination (CDC card accepted); Portugal locator form filled out online after checking in for flight; and PCR test completed within 72 hours of flight departure. For Spain, I filled in their online SPTH form which included proof of vaccination (CDC card accepted) within 48 hours of flight departure. Being vaccinated, I was not required to have a recent Covid test, but since I had to have it to transit Portugal, I was covered if asked. Spain's requirements are for air and sea entry, not land entry. Walking the camino from France to Spain over the Pyrenees is a land entry, and I don't recall any border control entry on the Napoleon route pre-covid, just a cattle grate. I think internal domestic flights in Spain probably do not need more requirements like testing, but I would check to be sure. And, of course, requirements keep changing, so keep checking for up to date information right up to the day your travel!!!

Just do it. When you visit someone else’s country, follow the rules.
I have no problem in wanting to following the rules, but as this thread shows, it is not obvious as to what the rules actually are.

I flew to Spain on Dec 29 on TAP airlines via Lisbon to Malaga. Even though I was only transiting through, Portugal required I meet their current entry rules which included proof of vaccination (CDC card accepted); Portugal locator form filled out online after checking in for flight; and PCR test completed within 72 hours of flight departure. For Spain, I filled in their online SPTH form which included proof of vaccination (CDC card accepted) within 48 hours of flight departure. Being vaccinated, I was not required to have a recent Covid test, but since I had to have it to transit Portugal, I was covered if asked. Spain's requirements are for air and sea entry, not land entry. Walking the camino from France to Spain over the Pyrenees is a land entry, and I don't recall any border control entry on the Napoleon route pre-civid, just a cattle grate. I think internal domestic flights in Spain probably do not need more requirements like testing, but I would check to be sure. And, of course, requirements keep changing, so Keep checking for up to date information right up to the day your travel!!!
Excellent share, thank you so much.

Tom, this is, I believe for exceptions of non-vaccinated as I read it. As I recall you had medical issues or Covid before you went? Perhaps this is why you needed or wanted the test then?

As a vaccinated arrival, I was not required to take any tests when I arrived in Spain in 9/2021. I am not aware of changes in testing requirements for vaccinated at this point?

See your quoted section below

2. Travellers who are in any of the exceptional situations and do NOT have a vaccination certificate, must present the diagnostic certificate or the recovery certificate.
O
2.1. Diagnostic certificate. You must show a negative COVID-19 test result. NAAT (PCR, LAMP, TMA or equivalent) test types are accepted in Spain. You must show a negative result of a NAAT test taken within 72 hours OR an antigen test taken within 48 hours prior to your arrival.

2.2. Recovery certificate (up to 180 days from the date on which the sample was taken).

Last year, I did have a life-threatening but wholly non-COVID related abdominal infection. I got the PCR (nasal-swab) test two days before my travel date to Spain in September 2021 out of an abundance of caution. The results came early on my travel date. Everything fell into place nicely.

This was for two reasons: (1) if the result came back positive I would have cancelled my trip, and (2) Spain could have changed the entry rules in the 48 hours before my plane landed at Madrid. The rules might have even changed while my plane was in the air.

A late rule change would have me scurrying about to find a last-minute test. So, acting out of an abundance of caution I got the free test at a local drive-they pharmacy on a timely basis.

This way, if anyone said: “But, señor, you must also have a negative PCR test result,” I could produce said test result. Better to have it and not need it than need it at the last minute and not have it.

I plan to do this again when I hope to travel to do a Camino in May-June 2022.

I am a belt and braces (suspenders) sort of fellow.

Hope this helps

Tom

Also, and this is critical, I read that "You must show a negative COVID-19 test result. NAAT (PCR, LAMP, TMA or equivalent) test types are accepted in Spain. You must show a negative result of a NAAT test taken within 72 hours OR an antigen test taken within 48 hours prior to your arrival."
I did not see that anyone mentioned this in the thread. In this regard, the rules have not changed since I traveled to Spain in early September 2021.
This doesn't help the dialogue 😉. This is a quote without context. It applies to some categories of travellers, not to all. Ignoring relatively rare exemptions, this quote does not apply to vaccinated travellers from the USA. Non-vaccinated travellers from the USA are barred from entry into Spain. No pre-flight tests are required for travellers from the USA. It's been like this for many many months. In fact, Spain has never required pre-flight tests from travellers from the USA, at least not that I can remember. Since March 2020, it was either no entry at all (until May 2021), proof of vaccination (June/July 2021), no restrictions at all (July/August 2021), and again proof of vaccination (since September 2021) for travellers from the USA to Spain, wasn't it?

Now as to the rules for travellers from other EU countries, from the UK or from South Africa to Spain during the past 22 months ... 😵‍💫

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last year, I did have a life-threatening but wholly non-COVID related abdominal infection. I got the PCR (nasal-swab) test two days before my travel date to Spain in September 2021 out of an abundance of caution. The results came early on my travel date. Everything fell into place nicely.

This was for two reasons: (1) if the result came back positive I would have cancelled my trip, and (2) Spain could have changed the entry rules in the 48 hours before my plane landed at Madrid. The rules might have even changed while my plane was in the air.

A late rule change would have me scurrying about to find a last-minute test. So, acting out of an abundance of caution I got the free test at a local drive-they pharmacy on a timely basis.

This way, if anyone said: “But, señor, you must also have a negative PCR test result,” I could produce said test result. Better to have it and not need it than need it at the last minute and not have it.

I plan to do this again when I hope to travel to do a Camino in May-June 2022.

I am a belt and braces (suspenders) sort of fellow.

Hope this helps

Tom

Each of us has different tolerance levels….so I respect your decision to get tested before flying abroad. My point is that the current policy which has been in effect since circa mid 2021 is that fully vaccinated did not have to get tested before departing for Spain, and currently are not required to get a PCR or antigen test prior to arrival from USA..if they fly directly to Spain.

Last edited:
I have no problem in wanting to following the rules, but as this thread shows, it is not obvious as to what the rules actually are.
Several fellow members of the forum have listed links to all the necessary websites providing requirements for entrance into Spain and other EU countries. I suggest you visit these websites and your countries State department website as your travel date approaches. One thing you can probably count on is that whatever the rules are they are likely to evolve over the next few months and year.

Unfortunately, until the world is vaccinated, this virus will continue to mutate and the response as to how to live with it will change too.

I suggest you visit these websites and your countries State department website as your travel date approaches.
And also, people must not expect that these websites are already updated to rules that will apply several weeks into the future, as it is the case here where the new rules will apply from February 1. It's good to know about this in advance because obviously, if someone needs a booster to comply with the February 1 rule, they need to get it a few days, if not a few weeks, before their departure.

In general, official websites reflect current requirements.

I'm done with this issue.

When indicated, I will follow the rules, as I interpret them - for me.

I wish y'all well - and Buen Camino!

Stay safe out there,

Tom

I'm done with this issue.

When indicated, I will follow the rules, as I interpret them - for me.

I wish y'all well - and Buen Camino!

Stay safe out there,

Tom
I hope that your post won’t make others think that the rules are impenetrable or require high levels of interpretation. Several members of the forum have done a great job giving precise and clear explanation of what is required by the Spanish government to enter Spain.

The rules have changed several times and will no doubt change again. Sometimes the changes cause some confusion at the outset, but when the dust settles, the requirements have always been clear and straightforward.

And just in case others are confused about @t2andreo’s quotation of the covid test requirement, here is a bit more elaboration, taken directly from the travelspain website (the website of the Spanish national tourist office).

If you are unvaccinated, you may still be able to go to Spain, but only if you fall into one of the “exceptional categories” listed below. Tourists and pilgrims do not generally fall into one of those categories. (These categories are roughly equivalent to the ”essential traveler” exception from the outright travel ban that Spain had imposed on the US).

a) Ordinary residents of the European Union, Schengen Associated States, Andorra, Monaco, The Vatican (Holy See) or San Marino who go to that country, providing documentary proof of it.

b) Holders of a long-stay visa issued by a Member State or Schengen Associated State who are heading to that country.

c) Health professionals, including health researchers, and elderly care professionals who are going to or returning from their work activity.

d) Transport personnel, seafarers and aeronautical personnel necessary to carry out air transport activities.

e) Diplomatic and consular personnel, of international organizations, military, civil protection and members of humanitarian organizations, in the exercise of their functions.

f) Students who carry out their studies in the Member States or Schengen Associated States and who have the corresponding permit or visa and medical insurance, provided that they go to the country where they are studying, and that the entry occurs during the academic year or the 15 days prior.

g) Highly qualified workers whose work is necessary and cannot be postponed or carried out remotely, including participants in high-level sports events that take place in Spain. These circumstances must be justified by documentary evidence.

h) Persons traveling for duly accredited imperative family reasons.

i) People who document reasons of force majeure or need, or whose entry is allowed for humanitarian reasons.

People who are in one of those exceptional categories are the only ones allowed to enter Spain without a vaccine. IF you are in one of those categories and IF you are unvaccinated, you will be able to enter only with a test or a certificate of recovery.

The exact wording:

All of that just to say that as of now, US tourists to Spain must be vaccinated (and in Feb. add “boosted”) but require no test.

When I stated that I was done, I meant that I was out of patience for snarky retorts and that i did not desire to debate the issue. The rules are what they are.

We can disagree in the interpretation. If I got it wrong - it would not be the first time. However, any mistakes in YOUR interpretation of the rules will be evinced on arrival in Spain - if you get that far.

I choose to read, interpret and comply with the rules in a conservative manner. Spain is a sovereign nation that can make whatever rules it desires to protect its people. We, none of us, needs to like the rules, but we do have to comply with them if we want the benefits of being allowed into Spain, or any sovereign nation for that matter.

That said, I hope to see you all there - sometime in the future.

Tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The booster information hit the American travel bloggers earlier today. Apparently it is for multiple countries in and around the EU and the news appeared to break specifically today as it is exactly two weeks from the start of the requirement.

The booster information hit the American travel bloggers earlier today. Apparently it is for multiple countries in and around the EU and the news appeared to break specifically today as it is exactly two weeks from the start of the requirement.
I have digital vaccination certificates for my two immunisation jabs and for my booster jab. I also have a few checking/verification apps from a few EU countries on my mobile phone (out of curiosity and for fun 😉). When I use the French checking app to scan the QR of my second immunisation jab, it says already "not valid". And "valid" when I scan the QR of my booster jab. Without the booster jab, I would no longer be able to go to a restaurant in France next week.

And, in my case, from the end of February onwards, the certificate for the second immunisation jab will be invalid everywhere in the EU, and invalid for travel, because it's then 270 days since my second jab. Then all the scanning/checking apps will say "invalid".

However, and I think that is important to point out, there is no limit imposed on the validity of our certificates for the booster jab. That is open ended.

Or rather, and for the time being and unless there is a change, the end date for our certificates is 30 June 2022. It's been like this from the start last year. The hope and expectation was that this system will be needed for only one year maximum for travel within the EU.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are deciding between starting in SJPDP or Roncevalles around March 22. We will have been in Spain for about 4 days prior to making our way towards our starting point. My question is do we need to do a COVID-19 test before we go to France for the 1 night? Or is it not necessary if we will only be there for less than 24 hours. I’m a little confused on the entry requirements. Thanks!

We are deciding between starting in SJPDP or Roncevalles around March 22. We will have been in Spain for about 4 days prior to making our way towards our starting point. My question is do we need to do a COVID-19 test before we go to France for the 1 night? Or is it not necessary if we will only be there for less than 24 hours. I’m a little confused on the entry requirements. Thanks!
This is the French Government website, my interpretation, as a UK citizen is that I will need a PCR to travel to France and start in SJPP.
French Government COVID travel

or actually it seems an "antigen biological screening test" could be a rapid lateral flow test. Urgh it's so confusing. Anyway, on that site you can interpret whether travelling from Spain, a green country, to France, is the regulation to follow regardless of your original departure point or home country.

ADABOI: make sure you reference the rules for the US, not the UK or other countries. The regs can vary dramatically!

If you flew into France, you’ll be subject to testing. “You shall present the transport company and border authorities with a negative PCR or antigen test taken less than 48 hears prior to departure (departure of first flight in case of connecting flights).”

If you walk/bus/taxi, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.