• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New CSJ guide to the VdlP

Alan Pearce

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Invierno October 2022
The Confraternity of Saint James have just released their new [9th edition] guide to the Via de la Plata - Seville to SdC. Just in time for me to receive it before leaving Australia in 4 weeks.

buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Alan;
My friends and I are leaving Sevilla on April 25 (I think we will have to have a private Aanzac Day ceremony as we leave Sevilla).
Will there be copies available in Sydney, do you think, or should I try to get one from CSJ direct?

Sue

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I noticed on Amazonuk that they have a new edition of the Lepere Guide now (Feb 2011). It is in French, but one would assume it would be reasonably up to date. It is the VDLP and does not include the Camino Mozarabe but does include the Camino Sanabres. Cheers, Janet

LTfit said:
Wondering, is the CSJ 2011 guide a reprint or actually updated? I checked out their website but this isn't clear...
my last years guide came with separate sheet updated inserts,I'm sure these will now be incorporated along with any updates that allison recieved before November,things are changing so quickly on this walk as it becomes more popular that the CSJ relies on updates from pilgrims walking the route.I failed to get mine in before November but they were,the guide says the aubergue in Merida is right at the end of the roman bridge when it is left. Just before the railway bridge along side the river the bridge passes over.There was one place that is now closed ( pick up key at number 5)I forget the name of the place but the new private Aubergue(10euro's) is left by the ambulance stuck on top of a pole 2km before the actual town ( i had to walk back).plus there is more accomadation than the guide said, but the guide was a great help and for the price was more than worth it
Ian

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You're right, Ian. I just ordered the latest, and downloaded the updates which are accurate as of Fall 2010, thanks to pilgrims who provided CSJ with the material. These updates are most valuable - don't walk the VDLP without them! :) I daresay the route has changed since I walked it last in 2007, so I'll be relying on them.

lynne

Ian - thanks for the info. Curious, is it the only guide you took last year?

Lynne - could you let us know what you think of the guide? The price at E5,- is certainly right!

Cheers,
LT

You can download the booklet & updates from here, (after paying online):

http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_ ... in_23.html

Alison "proper" book is also great for historical information, as is:

Walking the Via de la Plata: Spain - the Camino De Santiago from Sevilla to Santiago De Compostela and on to Finisterre
Of course, you have to consider weight when carrying these. Both available on Amazon..or local library (in the UK).
I hope to finish the 3rd section from Zamorra to SdC in late May (2011), so may see you en route; it is a lovely Pilgrimage..I am still talking about the ancient steam room & baths on the stop after Proserpina, set inside a house in a remote village..and the Jamon...and the wine...and the Churches...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Sue

I don't know of copies being available locally. As for Anzac Day I will be around Zamora by then and hope to find some wild rosemary so that I can wear some sprigs in my hat. Have a great camino.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

I've brought the Lepere guide to the VdlP and am using it alongside the new CSJ, and the combination hasn't let me down yet (although I'm three days from the embalse de Alcantara ...). I find Lepere mildly preferable to Alison Raju's guide, which I used 2 years ago, as it has real maps (although, given that it was published in 2011, it's weird that these do not include the A66, but you can work out fairly easily where it goes).

And obviously regularly checking on this wonderful site - where I discovered, for example, which no guide book could have told me, that the albergue in Castillblanco is closed until March 2013.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back