• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New easy app to call home for free

piogaw

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances (05/06 2012) sjpdp-sdc; vdlp/camino sanabrea (02/03 2013) sevilla-sdc; hospitalero sdc june 2013, august-september 2013; caminho portugues (03 2014) lisboa-sdc
To all peregrinos,

There is a fairly new free app created by a japanese where you can call home for free. It is call line. You can download this app to ipad, iphone, android smart phones, google tablet and others. You can access this app from google play, apple store and it is free. As long as you are in a wifi zone, you can im, voice call, video call to anywhere. Registration is quite simple.

Let me know how it is. I have been using this app recently and i think it is better than skype. Feedbacks are welcome.

Good luck and buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Does it call landlines/mobiles/computers? What? How does it work? Does the recipient have to be running the same software/app like Viber or Skype?

Does it call landlines/mobiles/computers? What? How does it work? Does the recipient have to be running the same software/app like Viber or Skype?

Hello al,

I have not tried out all the different way of communicating with line. However the other side must also register with line. The registration is very simple. You go online to line app, you have to fill in the country and provide a cell phone number. Then to activate, they will send you a 4 digit code via sms for you to enter. This is it. Like skype, you will need to invite the opposite side to accept you. I know you can im each other, which is quite fast and convenient. The keyboard is as large as the ipad keyboard. I have tried the voice call which is good. I have not tried the video call.

I am not sure whether you can call landlines or cohmputers. I know you can call from a smartphone to an iphone. Sorry i can not answer all your questions. When your friend has accepted you, she can jusy click on the name on the contact lists. I have notd been cut off in the middle of an im. Why don't you try it? It is free. Then you may be able to share your experience with everyone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi al yes it is just like Viber,whatsApp and others both parties need the app

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.