• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New encyclopedia

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

From Rome Reports:

March 29, 2011. The most famous pilgrimage route across Europe, the Way of St. James, has a brand new encyclopedia. Forty experts from eight countries have zealously collaborated in conducting the research for this work. The Encyclopedia explains, among other things, the meaning of botafumeiro, the typical dress of the pilgrim, and the history of each of the rituals that have sprung up around the Way of St. James.

Manuel Rodriguez
Director, Way of St. James Encyclopedia
"In this encyclopedia we have ensured that the entire universe is Jacobean in every way: at a historical level, the characters, events, meanings, routes, and historical pilgrims and rituals. It is, if not all, almost everything. The Jacobean world has a historical dimension, the pilgrims that arrived in Santiago came from all over Europe. The route itself is a work of all of Europe, even Iceland."

The Encyclopedia explains, among other things, the meaning of botafumeiro, the typical dress of the pilgrim, and the history of each of the rituals that have sprung up around the Way of St. James.

Manuel Rodriguez
Director, Way of St. James Encyclopedia
"Rites have emerged in the past and are still emerging. I think this is one of the more interesting things collected in the work. The route is defined through symbols like the cross or the drone, the pilgrim's walking stick, and, of course, the Cathedral of Santiago is full, in the best sense, of ritual. The most significant thing is the embrace of the Apostle. "

The encyclopedia is composed of 18 volumes and includes more than 3,000 entries which detail everything from the birth of the first road in the eleventh century to the history of the 100 roads that exist today.

Pope Benedict XVI received a copy a few days before his trip to Santiago.

Antonio Couto
Editor, Great Encyclopedia of the Camino de Santiago
"We knew it was a great desire that the pope had, with his brother George, to travel to Santiago. When we gave him the encyclopedia, he told us the news that the trip had to be done soon and literally told us to use it to plan for his trip. Monsignor Froján told us that he had already been browsing and reading the work. A few days later we received a letter of thanks from His Holiness for the work and congratulations on the edition. "

The Way of St. James was declared the first European Cultural Route in 1987 by the Council of Europe and World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Last year it celebrated its Holy Year and it will celebrate it again in 2021.

In addition, this year marks the 800th anniversary of the consecration of the Cathedral of Santiago, one of the world's most beautiful churches.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
All the Google links are related to one post from RomeNews.

Any possibility that they are pulling a great April's Fool Joke?

Why would this be published in Rome and not Madrid?

I would love to think it is true but can find no link apart from the RomeReports video.

Watch Amazon in the future. It is likely to show up there eventually.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well I'm pleased it is not a joke but at 450€ it will not be coming to my household.

Maybe Confraternity library's may buy it for consultation in their offices but it is certainly well beyond the means of this pilgrim.

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back