• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New entrance into Santiago from Monte de Gozo

peregrina2000

Staff member
First, they tried to keep pilgrims safe by taking away the sign showing entrance into Santiago (how many of us dangerously darted across the highway to get our picture taken :rolleyes:). This next step is a much bigger deal. The article shows pictures of the new walkway from Monte de Gozo.

The article notes that the cost was € 845,000. But that’s just a small portion of the total ten million euros appropriated by the Xunta to improve Camino entrances into Santiago.

https://www.elcorreogallego.es/santiago/finaliza-la-mejora-de-la-ruta-en-monte-do-gozo-AB4641147

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Laurie, the first time, I was so happy to see the sign that I ran to it...and thentook those photos. 😆😆 This area definitely needed improvement structurally. Looks easier to get down. Hope they improved the bridge as well! Thanks for posting this!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
First, they tried to keep pilgrims safe by taking away the sign showing entrance into Santiago (how many of us dangerously darted across the highway to get our picture taken :rolleyes:). This next step is a much bigger deal. The article shows pictures of the new walkway from Monte de Gozo.

The article notes that the cost was € 845,000. But that’s just a small portion of the total ten million euros appropriated by the Xunta to improve Camino entrances into Santiago.

https://www.elcorreogallego.es/santiago/finaliza-la-mejora-de-la-ruta-en-monte-do-gozo-AB4641147

Monte do Gozo does like to use that concrete in architecture...! At least the pathway goes with the rest of it 😄

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola @peregrina2000 . Thanks for the update. Ah the memories!!
I remember the old section from 2015 (on the bike). Fortunately I had a good city map so I was able to negotiate a safer option. Now all the Xunta has to do is get the pilgrims to walk on the appropriate side of the road. I had one bloody fool stand in front of me & my bike as i came down that steep hill. Fortunately one of his amigos dragged him clear.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last time I walked into Santiago from the Francés I managed to get myself way off track and into wasteland beside construction activity. I'm still not sure where I was. Google eventually led me to something recognisable. This looks far too easy!

It's quite ugly, but still an improvement over the rather awful one that existed previously.

image_gallery

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's an architect's mockup image.
Here is another recent photo. It looks like the new walkway is not yet open to the public. It appears that pilgrims walk along the road while others, in an official capacity or involved in the works, walk on it. Or has it already been inaugurated?

Pasarela.jpg

And there is also this: También se retiraron los eucaliptos de la trasera, conformando un espacio que se integra con el resto del Monte do Gozo. Yeah! ☺

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Unfortunately the design looks ripe for the Camino Graffiti Artists :(
Oh my, I did not even think about that. Yes, I fear it will soon be festooned with childish, ignorant scrawlings. Forever criminally damaged by dysfunctional people.

Laurie, the first time, I was so happy to see the sign that I ran to it...and thentook those photos. 😆😆 This area definitely needed improvement structurally. Looks easier to get down. Hope they improved the bridge as well! Thanks for posting this!
Where have you been? The bridge was demolished in autumn 2017 when the AP-9 motorway was improved. It was rebuilt with a wide dedicated walking/cycling track across the new bridge to the left of the roadway and reopened in 2018. The new walking/cycle track down from Monte Gozo joins directly to the beginning of the new bridge. During reconstruction, CF walkers and cyclists had to make a long detour to avoid the building works, a fact reflected by posts from others on this thread who remember being diverted. I assume the bridge works accounted for a large chunk of the €10million budget.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Interesting. But I'll probably stick to my off-piste route through the Monte do Gozo parks and some quieter roads. I can't remember the exact details, but it's a much less hectic way of entering the city.

Nuala, thank you for the reminder that there is no rule that requires us to slavishly follow the official route into Santiago if it suits us to be a little more adventurous. :cool:
Well, I'm not sure if my route can be classed as adventurous 😊 When I reach Monto do Gozo, I like to go to the two pilgrim statues and imagine how they felt seeing the city for the first time. As I stand there, it just feels more logical to wander downhill towards the city centre. I think I enter the city somewhere near the bus station.

S6H0Dr5mSwK7ekikdnaEHw.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Off topic but I was looking at a very nice slightly longer option than the Frances, which takes you from the viewpoint over to the Invierno/Sanabres as they go under the motorway right before the Cidad de la Cultura (Intermediate waypoint #1, below). That entry into the city is one of the most lovely, and very quiet until you get to the old town (The photo is from just after waypoint #2).
There are walking tracks that could shorten that, going more directly to waypoint #2, but OSMand was not cooperating.
Screenshot_20200922-141927_OsmAnd.jpg

View media item 9725

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Most read last week in this forum

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/tourists-spanish-city-face-backlash-2952834?ito=copy-link_share_article-top the last few seasons I've been walking the VdlP and if this report is only half true...
Hello, I walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2023 and have an opportunity (i.e. time) to do another one this May/June - although I only have ~4 weeks available. I'm thinking Norte...
Hi everyone, Pilgrim House Welcome Center opened on March 4 for the 2024 season. As always, the team would love to meet you (or see you again!) after your Camino. The Camino can be an emotional...
Hi, I am planning to finish my Camino July 20, but I was wondering if it is worth it to instead try to finish to see the holy day on July 25. Is it going to be super crowded on the 25th? I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back