• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New entry on my blog

http://kellyonthecaminofrances.blogspot ... amino.html

I've decided that when I walk the Camino again, I will start once more from Roncesvalles & walk all the way to Santiago. Because of my recent illness, I would like to try to do what Gareth did on his walk, but instead of your money, I want your blood. :twisted: My life was saved because of about 14 or 15 individuals who for whatever reason, decided to donate some blood, which was used to help keep me alive until my surgery, so as a way of saying "thanks," I would like to raise at least 1 donation of blood for every kilometer I walk on my Camino. That's about 750 pints, gang. I hope to be healthy enough & have enough leave time saved up to do this in September 2009. It doesn't matter where you live or when you donate; if you wish to contribute, let me know when you have donated blood & I will make note of it on my blog. This will be on the honor system! :)

Kelly

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Kelly-girl, I've never given blood but will start - in your name. Will let you know when the first pint is taken!

Kelly, what a great, selfless, idea. I'll let you know when I donate too!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Kelly, Fair play to you. I hope this motivates many to donate. I haven't done so for quite a few years, but I've made a note to do so in the near future.

Brian

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Bharat, I'm sure this is good news for Kelly, and Ivar doesn't mind the post being bumped. Donating blood is painless, it merely involves time.

Buen Camino

Brian.

Hi Kelly, I made that donation in early February. I told many people why I was in Dublin. I might get in another donation before you depart!!!
As Johnnie said earlier " Happy St. Patrick's Day "........& all that jazz.

Brian

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This sounds very good. The last time I gave blood , I was given a beer afterwards, later I fainted and fell and the next day I found my recepient died!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: They said I was too SMALL (weight a lot less then - about 52kg) now I am hevier so guess I can give some blood. Will check with the blood bank first and let you know. BUT am not sure about the recipients. Will any one take it? My blood I am refering to.
Regards Begonia

Sorry to hear about your recipient, but at least your donation gave them some hope & a chance to recover they wouldn't have had without it (having been on the receiving end, I can vouch for the power of hope & chance). :) I don't think being having been underweight affects your donation. I think they only count you out if you have the HIV virus or have been exposed to hepotitus or have some other blood disorder. If you don't have anything like that, then your donation will be used gratefully. :)

Take orange juice with you next time & eat a small salad before you go. Most places in the US won't give you a beer, but they will have juice & cookies to spike your blood sugar so you don't pass out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
They also don't accept blood from anyone who's had any type of cancer. I had a small malignant skin growth removed a few years ago and now nobody wants my blood :!:

Sandra

Kelly,

I give blood each two months so I'll let you know when the next session is. My dad got me into the habit so if you have any young'ns, bring 'em along and perhaps teach them to be regular donors, too!

(I was also wondering in what context I'd see the "Twisted Evil" smilie- now I know...)

In whichever year it was, I could not give blood until 6 months after I arrived from Spain. Those were the rules. Coming from Europe during the mad cow scare kept me from donating.
Lillian

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Kelly! my next blood donation will take place next week (they have a lack of blood in the blood banks right now) I will have you in my thoughts.

In June after my camino they have a walking happening in different cities in Sweden called Blodomloppet which means Cirkulation of Blood in English. It's about 5 km (= 3.2 miles) and I'll be walking for you and all those in need of blood transfusion.

annie :D

Well, Annie, thank you so much! :) Please feel free to share my blog with any friends or family who are also participating, & even the sponsors of the march as well, if that's okay. Thank you thank you thank you!

I'm thinking of starting a group about it on Facebook as well. When I do, I will post here so those of you already on Facebook can join in. :)

Kelly

I'm another who hasn't donated for years but will start again at the next available opportunity, thanks for giving me the push!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
one more pint is donated...
annie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Kelly -

I donate plasma every Wednesday. Does that count in your tally, or are you counting only whole blood?

Thanks for this great project - as you've described, it impacts so many lives!

lynne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
lynne, I´m counting everything. I´ve met several people who wanted to help out, but for various reasons, cannot donate blood, so I expanded it to doing community service &/or donating to a local charity of your choice. Someone asked me what charity I prefer, which is any animal rescue or shelter operation in your area. :D

Thanks everyone!

Kelly

Hello Kelly, thinking back to when I first read your appeal I must have given blood three times.
I have been donating blood every three months (Norway) since 1991. Same reason as you really. I was in an accident and nearly drowned when a rib punctured my lung. Got four pints because of other injuries. Anyway, put me down for three!

Best,

Kevin O'brien

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back