• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New foot injury -requesting advice - do I cancel my Camino?

LynneR

Time of past OR future Camino
CF '16, '18
I am supposed to start walking out of Porto on June 5th, and I have suffered a recent injury.
I wasn't sure if I should post this under medical issues or CP. I am choosing CP because of the terrain in Portugal - and I thought those of you who walked it could give me your experienced opinions.

Last week I twisted my foot/ankle. It was a crazy, stupid thing that happened so fast and it was painful! I have had an X-ray and it is not broken, but it is sore. All over - top and bottom of my foot and up past my ankle. I can walk, but I have some pain. I remember walking for hours and hours, and days and days on the CF when I had no prior injury. It takes a toll on one's body on the best days!

I have to go with my instinct, but I'm also looking for some insight. I am wondering about these cobblestones and asphalt I've read so much about. Add on to that carrying a backpack. I just don't know what to do. If any of you who have walked have some insight about foot pain/injury on the CP, I'd be happy to read about it.

I bought insurance for my flight, so I think I'm good for a refund as long as I make a decision soon. I am thinking more about the complete disappointment I'd feel as a result of canceling my pilgrimage....but I want to be smart and safe.

Thanks for your time -
Lynne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am supposed to start walking out of Porto on June 5th, and I have suffered a recent injury.
I wasn't sure if I should post this under medical issues or CP. I am choosing CP because of the terrain in Portugal - and I thought those of you who walked it could give me your experienced opinions.

Last week I twisted my foot/ankle. It was a crazy, stupid thing that happened so fast and it was painful! I have had an X-ray and it is not broken, but it is sore. All over - top and bottom of my foot and up past my ankle. I can walk, but I have some pain. I remember walking for hours and hours, and days and days on the CF when I had no prior injury. It takes a toll on one's body on the best days!

I have to go with my instinct, but I'm also looking for some insight. I am wondering about these cobblestones and asphalt I've read so much about. Add on to that carrying a backpack. I just don't know what to do. If any of you who have walked have some insight about foot pain/injury on the CP, I'd be happy to read about it.

I bought insurance for my flight, so I think I'm good for a refund as long as I make a decision soon. I am thinking more about the complete disappointment I'd feel as a result of canceling my pilgrimage....but I want to be smart and safe.

Thanks for your time -
Lynne

June 5TH is 11 days away.

With rest you should be okay for CP.

Or, you can walk another route.

What does doctor say.

Thanks for your time -
Lynne
Hi Lynne. Ouch! It does sound disappointing to get this injury just a couple of weeks before leaving.

The CP has it's share of hard surfaces to walk on, but I guess you'd want to consider whether doing any Camino right now would be creating helpful healing conditions.

Hope a fruitful plan unfolds for you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was in the same quandary with both a foot and hip injury a few months ago (as well as chronic knee issues from naturally misaligned leg bones) and set out on the Frances from Pamplona not knowing how far I’d get. It was surprising how far I was able to walk with wrapped knees and ibuprofen even if it was at a snails pace. The foot eventually got better but the hip it turns out, did not. I do not at all regret going. Next time tho listening more to what the body needs without relying on daily painkillers which might mean walking shorter distances probably makes better sense in the long run.
For some sending their pack ahead makes the walking more doable and for others riding a bike is easier on joints and injuries. It may take some flexibility once you set out to know the best tack!

@biarritzdon is completely accurate in his post. You'll have to see a doctor to have any chance of recovering your air fare. Plus...

I just walked the Coastal route and there were a lot of hard surfaces underfoot: asphalt, concrete, cobblestones, and mosaic or patterned surfaces made of inset stones. Very hard on the feet and knees. I would estimate more than half the walk from Porto to the Spanish border was on such surfaces.

As a side note, I'd ask you to let the forum know whether your travel insurance reimburses you under the circumstances you find yourself. It is something I have wondered about as I plan my annual walk - what type of injury would satisfy the travel insurance requirement for trip cancellation? Certainly a broken neck or a heart attack close to the flight date, but a broken leg or an injury such as yours (not withstanding the intended purpose of the travel is a long hike)?

Good luck with your decision.

Tom

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I canceled a Camino in 2016. My doctor was agreeable to write a letter regarding my disability.
I was reimbursed for my airline ticket, most of my prepaid expenses and was able to cancel most of the reservations that I had made which were refundable but as I remember it still cost me several $100's to do so plus of course the cost of the insurance.
Most notable in my memory was no refund for a night in Dublin and a ticket to the Guinness Brewery.
I used Allianz then and still use them for every Camino. The process to get a refund is a total pain in the ass but at least you eventually get most of your money back.

Go with your instinct and don't regret your decision. I walked CF September and last 50km before Santiago suffered injury but walked on. Rested 2 days in Santiago and started limping towards Finisterre and by time reached the end of the world the pain was something my body got used to but was aware that could have caused long-term injury and stupidly my thinking was that so be it. I rested in Madrid and Toledo for two weeks and decided to walk from Porto to Santiago. The pain had subsided and for first 30km walked along CP coastal route on board walks which assisted spring in step , walked barefoot along beach and I continued to Vila do conde keeping ocean to my left hand side. Ignored the way signs and eventually the board walk ended (under construction) and the path returned me to asphalt roads. At every opportunity I asked locals for information on alternative walking terrain as I preferred keeping water within sight and underfoot was more even. Eventually I ended up on the CP at Tui and remainder of walk was less demanding than the CF trail. 25km from Santiago the reoccurring injury returned but I walked on, rested in Santiago and returned home. The injury has not returned. The difference between my injury and yours I would say mine was as a result of continuous impact on variety of terrain. It was gained on the Camino so felt that it was part of my journey. Your accidental injury happened outside the Camino and if it were me I wouldn't take an injury to the Camino without accepting it could exasperate the problem. I'm sure there are various ankle support options a physio might recommend if you need to answer the call. It's a tough call but it will be waiting for you when your a better version of yourself and maybe this decision is the beginning of your journey 🤔

What does your doctor say? How did you do before when you sprained your ankle?
How old are you and what’s your weight? how much must that ankle carry? No need to answer me but ask yourself. If your flight can not be cancelled have you considered an alternative. Maybe go to Porto and scout it out and have a good idea for you Camino then? flight can be pretty painful because of the different pressures in the cabin. Or go and see how far you get and if you see it’s not doable turn it into a sea side vacation with lots of rest for your ankle? All your decisions will somehow be the right one if you are not clinging to a certain outcome but say ok can’t walk 10 km but can do 5 won’t arrive this time by foot in Santiago but may next time and so on. Best of wishes and realy mal suerte.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am on the Camino Portugués right now. I started on the coastal out of Porto then went inland at Vila do Conde. I found my feet and knees really were in pain after only 12-15 miles a day. I limped into Barcelos and spent an extra day to recover some. But just walking around to see the town is tough. I took train to Valenca and very glad I did so. Train also stopped at Viana do Castelo if you want to pick up the coastal again. I then sent my pack ahead for two days and very happy I did. If you come on your Camino stay open to making changes as you need to.

@LynneR I am so sorry you are facing this challenge! Many prayers to you for discernment, with all the great info just provided to you. My sense, is that deep in your heart, you already know what it is you need to do! đź’—đź’— Buen Camino, whatever your Camino looks like!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had excellent service using Allianz when I had to cancel for serious medical condition. My doctor wrote no more and I got a full and efficient refund

I agree with Celtic Lass. I found day two and three, after crossing over from the coastal to the central route in Portugal very difficult. And I am relatively certain it is the road surface. We walked a hybrid Camino last Sept. We started in SJPP and walked to Pamplona in four days and had no problems. No aches or pains. We then flew to Porto and met two more friends and started the CP. Day one was great walking along the coast. Day two and three resulted in sore feet and legs. It had to be the cobblestones, because we had covered longer distances with no discomfort a week earlier on our way to Pamplona.

I would give careful consideration to walking so soon after an injury. Or just be prepared to lay over and take your time.

Buen Camino Bob

I just walked the Coastal route and there were a lot of hard surfaces underfoot: asphalt, concrete, cobblestones, and mosaic or patterned surfaces made of inset stones. Very hard on the feet and knees. I would estimate more than half the walk from Porto to the Spanish border was on such surfaces.

I started my pilgrim from Porto mid-May and currently in Calda de Reis for the day.

“Such surfaces” are common in this part of the trail. On occasions, I felt some sharp stones “punch through” my Columbia trail running shoes.

On average, I had 35,000 steps a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thanks for your time -
Lynne
Coming out of the Albergue in Zabaldika I slipped on wet rocks, grass mud. Heard 3 loud snaps. Stage 3 torn tendons around the ankle. I hobbled 1 km per hour to get to another Albergue. No cars, people could not get back up mountain. Ice, elevation for 13 days. Day 14 walking 2 km the swelling took another day and night to go down. All the time minimal pain. Finish stage 3 to Pamplona, Bus to Madrid, meeting friends staying in Marriott. Elevation, minimal walking, always reswelled. Finally bus to Pamplona, overnight @ Albergue Jesus y Maria. 3 weeks later I have made it to Puente La Reina now walking 3.5 miles an hour 6km, 7km, 8km sending my pack ahead. Tomorrow I will attempt 11 km still sending my pack 5Eu a day. Just saying, I have never had any injuries, am a well seasoned sportster walking easily 10 miles a day. Think hard, once you are here?

I had to stop an October 2016 CP because the cobblestones wore out both my Achilles. No matter what I did with braces, tape, inserts, walking poles seemed to work. My final night was Sao Pedro de Rates; hobbled at 1 km/hr to Pedra Ferada, taxi to Barcelos, train to Lisbon, flew Lisbon to WashDC. Saw doctor in USA and my insurance reimbursed return flite but not DC medical (no treatment at home country). It took about 6 months for my aging tendons to heal enough for a 10km walk.
Definitely get advice from doctor, podiatrist, or physical therapist. And note that most insurance does not cover 'pre-existing conditions' .
Good luck. And CP is a wonderful route!! (except the cobblestones underfoot)

Thanks for your time -
Lynne

Listen to your body, in this case, you're ankle and foot. This is an arduous walk, each day you will be walking for miles on end. If your foot/ankle is painful, I would not chance it until you are 100% and then go without worry, concerns and doubts. This is an extraordinary trip and experience, be patient and do it right.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks for your time -
Lynne
Sometimes these injuries are more painful than breaks! Your tendons and ligaments get stretched, and worse, torn. If you haven't seen a doctor for further evaluation you should. If nothing is torn then you need to make the decision. There are boots that will support your ankles which would help prevent further injury. You could use an ankle brace underneath. Using hiking poles and picking your steps carefully would be important, too. Of course, nothing can guarantee that you won't get hurt again. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for your time -
Lynne
Lynne- I just had to abandon my walk due to a fall in Porto. I rested for a couple of days after fall hoping to give foot and knee a chance to heal. I then walked for several days in pain until I could go no more for fear of permanently damaging knee. The trail is very rough in many places and includes climbs and downhills. It has cost a significant amount of money( May or may not be covered by my travel insurance) to make my way back to the U.S. I am currently in transit. The walk will put significant strain on your injury. It is a very difficult choice. I wish you the best but suggest thinking long term. The Camino will wait for you. Buen Camino.

Thanks for your time -
Lynne
My daughter and I just finished the Portuguese camino last week. I also had an ankle injury a year ago and went to physical therapy for months to get the mobility back in my foot. I can't imagine doing that walk with foot pain. The camino in Portugal is lots of cobblestones and many times they are very uneven. Our feet were killing us a couple of days. If I were you and wouldn't suffer any financial loss from postponing the trip, I would definitely do it. There were a few really difficult stages. I hope it gets better soon! So sorry this happened. The Camino will still be there waiting for you when you are good to go.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am in awe of twisted ankles, I even shiver when I write the words. Wouldn't move a limb until all was healed and certainly not risk making this worse. Forget about walking with painkillers, pain is your body telling you something important about the feet that do your walking.

But that is me.

I think if you are happily ready to play the turegrino, skip parts of the trail, send your pack ahead and do sightseeing instead of walking those cobblestones, you should go for it. Find yourself a horse and a cart, or a bicycle, there are many options for those who are creative.
If it is the walk that you fancy, don't go now but later. The walk that you planned is not going to happen. In that case, I would set myself a goal of consolation, for instance visiting all things Portuguese (restaurants, stores, movies, lanuage and cooking lessons and what have you) in your own area while your ankle heals.

Whatever you decide, speak to your doctor first. *joins the chorus*

Public transport is very good along the CP if your foot gets tired. The Sende Litoral route ( right next to the beach) is for the most part a flat walk, and very beautiful. I'd go for it and if you cant make it, take the bus or bail and get a refund through your travel insurance. Good luck.

Thanks for your time -
Lynne

Oh, Lynne, I just did the same thing 8

Thanks for your time -
Lynne
Oh, Lynne, I just did the same thing 10 days before leaving Seattle for my first (easy) Camino. I babied it at home, ice and volteran (topical ibuprofen) and after a week flew to Stockholm first and walked 10 miles a day there with no problem. ut that was flat. I managed the Camino just fine, but the BEST thing I did was wear an ankle brace. It made all the difference.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Lynne,
We just finished the CP (coastal) last week. It was hard on the feet, due to hot hard surfaces and uneven terrain. To support your healing, you could plan for shorter stages initially and see how you do. Remember to take regular breaks and rest your feet. If you book your accommodation ahead each day you will have a place to land after walking, so no worries about having to walk further than planned, and no racing for a bed.
If you haven’t used poles, now would be the time. They take a lot of weight/stress off your ankles and other joints.
I noticed a lot of pilgrims were having their packs transported, an option you may want to consider.
Most importantly, listen to your body, jump a bus/train if you need a rest. It’s your Camino, enjoy and take it easy.

First- Rest, Ice (48 hours), Compress the ankle and foot (Ace bandage or compression socks), and Elevate the injured area. Known as RICE treatment. After 48 hours, alternate foot baths in ice and hot water for 15 minutes every few hours. Keep the injured area under compression when not doing this. After five days, see how the foot feels when walking. Keep it wrapped when exercising, as you don’t want to reinjure the offended area, and take it easy for a few days.
Finally, try walking for a couple of miles with your foot wrapped in a brace (any pharmacy or Target or WalMart will carry lace up ankle braces with cross over Velcro straps that allow movement without damaging your foot further).
Not a doctor or physical therapist, just an aging endurance and extreme sports guy whose exploits have resulted in a few injuries. Walked CP from Lisbon last September and many stages are on setts (bricks on end that resemble cobblestones), but after a couple of days they didn’t bother my feet at all. Good trail shoes and a light pack are the keys for me.
If the healing process is not rapid, I’d follow the advice from those who suggested seeing a doctor for a written excuse and take the pilgrimage at a later date. In any event, wish you Bom Caminho, whenever it happens.

I am on the Camino now. My friend fell last week in a store in Porto and injured her knee & ankle. She did get an x-ray and the ER doc was told her nothing us broken but stay off it. She did for only for a few days, got impatient then started walking the Camino. She lasted only a few days. The other day, she couldn't finish the walk and had to get a ride to the hotel. The next day, she couldn't stand on it and now she is flying back home. Now, I'm walking alone and have to shoulder most of the expenses. On the Camino, there are lots if cobblestones, uneven paths.... My advice is heal at home, train, then do the Camino when you are well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thanks for your time -
Lynne
On our first Camino, I twisted my ankle just 10 days before starting , however we were already in Europe visiting family and friends ( we live in Costa Rica), so there was no question of cancelling the trip.
I did as @Rex just mentioned: Ice, foot up resting, good bandaging and no walking around. By the time we started in Roncesvalles (have never ever started in SJPP), the pain had gone and I could walk well, BUT....I tried to compensate, meaning that I tried to keep as much weight as possible if the injured foot and the consequence was that I ended up with a lot of blisters! That year we stopped, as intended in Nájera and had we not done so, I most certainly would have had to rest a couple of days!
I have also walked the Portuguese and frankly I find the surface worse, due to the sett stones ( they aren’t cobble stones which are rounded..these are cut square and quite sharp in the edges.. and uncomfortable to walk on)!

Thanks for your time -
Lynne
We walked the Camino Portuguese from Porto in 2017. We have also done the Camino Frances and the Via Francigena it Italy (so we have experienced different terrain). The first day we took the Coastal route which was all boardwalk and easy on the feet. Then we cutover to the Central Route the second day. There is a lot of cobblestone in Portugal and I found it hard on the feet but I was wearing a low cut boot. If I was to do it again, I would wear my high toppers to give me more foot and ankle support. I don’t know the severity of your ankle, but if you go, I suggest high top hiking boots and also transport your bag - you don’t need to be a martyr and carry all that weight until you know know your body can handle it.

We walked the CP last year from Lisbon, and the walk from Porto will be manageable for you if:
Learn how to strap your ankle if you need (you really don’t need boots for this route)
Keep your pack as light as possible
Use walking poles
The walk will promote healing!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We walked the CP last year from Lisbon, and the walk from Porto will be manageable for you if:
Learn how to strap your ankle if you need (you really don’t need boots for this route)
Keep your pack as light as possible
Use walking poles
The walk will promote healing!
Beg to differ, but my feet were sore and tired on the cobblestone paths. Boots would have helped my feet. It’s a flat walk in that there are not any alpine hills or mountains, but it’s very uneven.

I had pokes and I agree they are very helpful.

By 2 bits!

Whatever injury you take into a Camino will be magnified 10-fold. Doctors are not great at this stuff--they will typically tell you to rest it. If you can, see a good Sports Medicine Physiotherapist. They are much better diagnostically, and can give you exercises and taping techniques. I blew my post-tibialis tendon 4 months before going. Saw a physio right away and got right on track. I was an otherwise very fit runner. I was also prepared to delay my spring Camino til fall if necessary, but I felt my recovery was complete and was sure I was not deluding myself. I did use KT tape only occasionally on the last 200km, which I had been taught to use properly. Using poles (properly) can take 25%+ stress off your lower body. Your timeline is extremely short. No shame in postponing trip until you are confident in your ability to complete it and enjoy it. I repeat, whatever injury you take into a Camino will be magnified.

First- Rest, Ice (48 hours), Compress the ankle and foot (Ace bandage or compression socks), and Elevate the injured area. Known as RICE treatment. After 48 hours, alternate foot baths in ice and hot water for 15 minutes every few hours. Keep the injured area under compression when not doing this. After five days, see how the foot feels when walking. Keep it wrapped when exercising, as you don’t want to reinjure the offended area, and take it easy for a few days.
Finally, try walking for a couple of miles with your foot wrapped in a brace (any pharmacy or Target or WalMart will carry lace up ankle braces with cross over Velcro straps that allow movement without damaging your foot further).
Not a doctor or physical therapist, just an aging endurance and extreme sports guy whose exploits have resulted in a few injuries. Walked CP from Lisbon last September and many stages are on setts (bricks on end that resemble cobblestones), but after a couple of days they didn’t bother my feet at all. Good trail shoes and a light pack are the keys for me.
If the healing process is not rapid, I’d follow the advice from those who suggested seeing a doctor for a written excuse and take the pilgrimage at a later date. In any event, wish you Bom Caminho, whenever it happens.

Very good advice from Rex.

Only you can make the decision, Lynne .... to go or to cancel. Depends on your general level of fitness and health, plus how bad the injury. In 2012, first day on the CP I injured an ankle and had to stop. I was jet lagged (from Australia) and not fit enough and just a gentle jump across a small puddle did it. Doesn't take much.

Last year, I had leg muscle issues, and spent the 10 days before starting the Camino Invierno (mountainous) doing the RICE treatment (ice/ rest/ compression/massage/etc) then stretching and gentle walking. I was worried about starting the Invierno, but was reasonably 'trained' and determined and already in Spain. On day 3 of the camino, an ankle pain worsened. A rest day and treatment, then short, slow stages of 14-20km, wearing a good elastic, compression, ankle support and ice at days end (in a plastic bag for my foot and a glass for my soul!!) kept me going to SdC. I'm 73.

If you don't go, as others have said, the camino will be waiting for you another time. If you do go, listen to your body, stop and stretch whenever necessary; iced water (e.g. in a plastic bag) is wonderful, compression necessary, hiking sticks essential, comfortable shoes. It's a tough decision.
Buen camino. Carole

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks to all of you for sharing what you have learned. I read each response over the last few days as I discerned what is best for me.
I have decided to cancel my trip. I feel deflated. I’m sad and disappointed, but the only thing that makes me feel better is that I know this is the right decision.

I thank my past Caminos too! They taught me to be patient, to trust my heart, and not to worry too much because the right thing will come at the right time.
I will be on that path again some day.
Thanks to all!
Lynne

Thanks to all of you for sharing what you have learned. I read each response over the last few days as I discerned what is best for me.
I have decided to cancel my trip. I feel deflated. I’m sad and disappointed, but the only thing that makes me feel better is that I know this is the right decision.

I thank my past Caminos too! They taught me to be patient, to trust my heart, and not to worry too much because the right thing will come at the right time.
Thanks to all!
Lynne
Lynne, I was checking to see when you might come back in on your thread. I am truly sorry for you, I can just imagine that you are feeling dreadful. In a few weeks, I hope that you will have come more to terms with how this is turning out. When you do manage to book again, you will be so much stronger, having lived with the great disappointment. I look forward to news of the next date you set!

Last edited by a moderator:

€149,-

Thanks for your time -
Lynne
I met someone who sprained her anklewhile on the Camino. She took a week off and was doing well. You still have ample time to recover, I would, however, suggest wearing a light ankle support while walking. Buen Camino!

I met someone who sprained her anklewhile on the Camino. She took a week off and was doing well. You still have ample time to recover, I would, however, suggest wearing a light ankle support while walking. Buen Camino!

Thanks to all!
Lynne

Thanks for your time -
Lynne
It’s a beautiful walk.
Take doctors advice. But if walking,
There is a tram out of Porto so consider taking some public transport
Have your back pack transported
May be best to defer until fit and fully enjoy
Good luck
Ian

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It’s a beautiful walk.
Take doctors advice. But if walking,
There is a tram out of Porto so consider taking some public transport
Have your back pack transported
May be best to defer until fit and fully enjoy
Good luck
Ian

Thanks to all!
Lynne

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.