A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

New forum setup - Old threads

Camino(s) past & future
April 20, 2016 to May 20, '16 SJPdP to Santiago d C.
Geeze. Why did I get an email that this is a new thread?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016, Mansill de las Mulas to Finisterre 2017
It seems that many of us have become confused with the OLDER threads on a topic that show up under current posts, part of the "new forum", when we do not look at the original date. Is this something that can be adjusted by a software guru?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
This is still a relevant question, no?
A lot of the old threads could be still good but this enhancement may be a good idea: if the last post to a thread is a year or more old have the server fill in the reply box with a statement saying that and then ask the member if they really want to reply.Have the server delete that same text from any reply made and if the rest of the text is blank ignore the reply.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of the old threads could be still good but this enhancement may be a good idea: if the last post to a thread is a year or more old have the server fill in the reply box with a statement saying that and then ask the member if they really want to reply.Have the server delete that same text from any reply made and if the rest of the text is blank ignore the reply.
I would not know how to do this...

Camino(s) past & future
Francés (Spring '17)
Primitivo (Spring '18)
TBD (2019)
Another forum I post in has a feature like this. I don't know anything about programming, but here is what it looks like when you try to post in an old thread.

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 21.07.48.png

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2020)
It seems that many of us have become confused with the OLDER threads on a topic that show up under current posts, part of the "new forum", when we do not look at the original date. Is this something that can be adjusted by a software guru?
I have to say I don't participate as much as I used to, because most of the 'visible' threads seem to be 7-10 years old now. Just with updates from confused members thinking it is a current thread.

On the old Forum there was a long list of new threads, popular threads trending threads and so on. Right at the top and the bottom of the page. I used to read those rather than diving into the specific forums.

Now there only seems to be 3 or 4 new threads listed..... :( So it seems like rather than lots of new threads and discussion, that most active threads are now rehashed old ones........

Maybe I'm missing something. Often the case these days.... :oops:

Sure the old ones may still be relevant, but that is what the search function is for isn't it?

This thread is a prime example. Members jumping in to offer advice and views to a question posted 8 years ago that no longer requires an answer........ The member posted 4 times and hasn't been back in 8 years.

We are just talking to each other, not the OP........ :(

As an online marketer, the only benefit I can see to the Forum of this new approach, is that refreshing old threads may boost the site in search engine rankings......... Is that the reason?

Crawls back under rock...............:oops::oops:

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Sept. 2017: SJPdP to Burgos
Sept./Oct. 2018: SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela
......On the old Forum there was a long list of new threads, popular threads trending threads and so on. Right at the top and the bottom of the page. I used to read those rather than diving into the specific forums.

Now there only seems to be 3 or 4 new threads listed..... :( So it seems like rather than lots of new threads and discussion, that most active threads are now rehashed old ones........
Rob, it took me a while to see it, but at the bottom of the list of new threads, on the right, is a button labeled "View More". Click on that button and the list expands to show all the new stuff. I missed the button until yesterday :rolleyes:

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
Now there only seems to be 3 or 4 new threads listed.
I don't claim to be particularly knowledgeable about forums, and maybe what I'm about to say is terribly obvious and not helpful to your situation. The view that I use works very well and did not change significantly with the update. If you click on "New Posts" in the upper left, and then bookmark the page it takes you to, you can simply use the bookmark and it always shows all the new posts.

This is the bookmarked page I always use: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/whats-new/posts/202312/

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (Spring '17)
Primitivo (Spring '18)
TBD (2019)
Thanks. Is there a way of listing new threads, as well as new posts?
New threads always start with a new post, so they are included (but with 0 replies) :)
You can also filter to show only these very new threads by checking 'unanswered threads' in the filters. See the screenshot below.

Meanwhile, Would it be helpful to break this discussion out into a new thread about using the forum?

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 08.37.24.png

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I have split this discussion out of the other thread and into a new thread.

There are several ways to get to new content on the forum. This is similar to how it was before as well.

1. Click the "What's new link at the top" give you a list of the latest replies to any thread (old or new) on the forum

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 12.53.25.png

2. Click the "New Questions" link (see below) that show up on the front page of the forum. This will show you the latest threads (questions) that has been created. These will most likely have no, or very few replies since the questions has just been posted.

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 12.52.39.png

Also, @jungleboy I found the plugin that is used on the other forum you participate in. But it is not available for the version that I use. I will keep an eye on it, and will install it if/when it becomes available.

Thank you all!
Ivar

Well, from one of the least tech savvy people on the forum, let me say that I really LIKE the fact that these old threads occasionally get bumped up with a new comment. Can you believe that we saw @C clearly's very first post? Or that every now and then some posts by tam or other users who have left the forum get rejuvenated, or some of our beloved deceased members come back up?

I agree that there is an efficiency cost when a member thinks that an old thread is a current thread, but I think that is trivial, no more than one or two a day at the most. And @Robo, if you do what @C clearly recommends, you will go straight to the full list of "recent posts" just like before. Once I figured that out, I was able to overcome my fear of using the forum in its new format.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Will have a look and see if it is possible to find a plugin for this.
Please not @ivar .
I like some of the old threads reviving. So much is still relevant, and we are discussing/sharing with each other not just the OP so it does not matter if they are still active or not here. The older threads are in their own space, if there are new answers it is good ☺.
As well as @ivar's other note, I use the sign at the top right to go to new posts, it looks like a lightening flash.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement
Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 107 14.6%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.5%