A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

New free camino app: Wisely - Camino Forum Places

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Dear all,

I am happy to announce that the Camino Forum and @wisepilgrim have over the last few months been working on a mobile app for the Camino. It is free and finally here:

iOS version (iPhone and iPad)

Screenshot 2019-01-03 at 12.27.31.png
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/wisely-camino-forum-places/id1439743055?mt=8

Android Version:
Screenshot 2019-01-03 at 12.29.26.png
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wisely.caminoplaces&hl=en

This one app covers (for now) 4 Caminos: Camino Frances, Camino del Norte, Camino Primitivo and the Camino Portugués. Plans are to include more caminos in the future.

The app is free. Once you have downloaded the app, select a camino (in the menu).

The app includes:
- A track of the Camino you have selected (no turn-y-turn, but you can see where you are in relation to the camino)
- Offline maps (optional). Download them from the menu.
- Lodging alternatives for your camino (with option to book lodging, this requires an internet connection of course). Remember to download the images for all pensions, hotels,... in the "Downloads" menu).

So if you are an app person (I know this is not for everyone), give it a try.

More about the app:

'WISELY : Camino Forum Places' is a collaborative project between the Camino Forum and Wise Pilgrim Guides.

Its function is simple and straightforward: to provide a map-based interface of camino related places. The database currently contains all of the villages, mountain passes, and regional borders along the camino, as well as the locations of many buildings and ruins of historical significance. Additionally, it includes a comprehensive set of accommodations ranging from albergues and other shared accommodation to hotels, hostals, and other private accommodation.

This v1.1 release of the app includes information for the 4 major routes to Santiago: The Camino Francés, The Camino Portugués, The Camino del Norte, and the Camino Primitivo. Subsequent releases will include more routes. Each route includes a colored track of the camino and the map will display your current location relative to it.

All of the content in the app allows for the user to leave a comment for other pilgrims to make use of and you are encouraged to share your experiences; did you find a particular Albergue to be exceptional… or not so much, or perhaps a restaurant in town had the perfect meal of the day. The comments are moderately curated (mostly fact-checked) and our only request is that you keep your comments civil and kind.

The app is made available for free to everyone and is ad-free. If you found it to be helpful along the way and wish to support its development there are links in the menu to both the Camino Forums and the Wise Pilgrim shop; contributions or purchases there are welcome.

We thank you for your support and wish you a very Buen Camino!

Greetings from Santiago!
@ivar and @wisepilgrim

FourSeasons

Camino(s) past & future
CF Sept/Oct 2013
CF April/May 2016
del Norte (July/August 2019)
Happy New Year indeed Ivar! Thank you for all your work in putting this together. I can't wait to use it this summer on del Norte. Very Exciting.

Can you provide the number of pilgrims that walked del Norte in 2018? I can't seem to find a breakdown of different Camino's.

Thanks in advance,
Angela

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
I just installed the android version, but I don't see a search button. Is there a way to search for a particular town to see a list of albergues? Or does it only work if I'm actually on the Camino itself?

AndreaCT

Camino(s) past & future
Fall 2016 Camino Frances to Leon
Fall 2017 Camino Frances to Finisterre
May 2019 Portuguese
I booked my flight to Lisbon a few days ago and I have been studying my Wise Pilgrim book. I just downloaded the app and it is a wonderful bonus!

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I just installed the android version, but I don't see a search button. Is there a way to search for a particular town to see a list of albergues? Or does it only work if I'm actually on the Camino itself?
No search functionality, you can tap "Camino Map" in the menu to get to the "Starting" point of your camino and then zoom out and move along the camino until you find your village... (if you are not in Spain).

Once in Spain, just tap the GPS (arrow lower right) to go automatically to where you are.

Hope this makes sense. :)

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018
Outstanding! Does this replace or compliment all the previous copies of the Wise Pilgrim Guides and Wisely Map supplements I have installed on my iPhone/ FYI? I have them ALL.

Asked another way, now that I installed this new combination app, can I delete the previous copies of the Wise and Wisely apps that I have for all four of these routes?

Hope this helps.

Anthony18

Camino(s) past & future
Dear all,

I am happy to announce that the Camino Forum and @wisepilgrim have over the last few months been working on a mobile app for the Camino. It is free and finally here:

View attachment 50367

Android Version:
View attachment 50368

This one app covers (for now) 4 Caminos: Camino Frances, Camino del Norte, Camino Primitivo and the Camino Portugués. Plans are to include more caminos in the future.

The app is free. Once you have downloaded the app, select a camino (in the menu).

The app includes:
- A track of the Camino you have selected (no turn-y-turn, but you can see where you are in relation to the camino)
- Lodging alternatives for your camino (with option to book lodging, this requires an internet connection of course). Remember to download the images for all pensions, hotels,... in the "Downloads" menu).

More about the app:

'WISELY : Camino Forum Places' is a collaborative project between the Camino Forum and Wise Pilgrim Guides.

Its function is simple and straightforward: to provide a map-based interface of camino related places. The database currently contains all of the villages, mountain passes, and regional borders along the camino, as well as the locations of many buildings and ruins of historical significance. Additionally, it includes a comprehensive set of accommodations ranging from albergues and other shared accommodation to hotels, hostals, and other private accommodation.

This v1.1 release of the app includes information for the 4 major routes to Santiago: The Camino Francés, The Camino Portugués, The Camino del Norte, and the Camino Primitivo. Subsequent releases will include more routes. Each route includes a colored track of the camino and the map will display your current location relative to it.

All of the content in the app allows for the user to leave a comment for other pilgrims to make use of and you are encouraged to share your experiences; did you find a particular Albergue to be exceptional… or not so much, or perhaps a restaurant in town had the perfect meal of the day. The comments are moderately curated (mostly fact-checked) and our only request is that you keep your comments civil and kind.

The app is made available for free to everyone and is ad-free. If you found it to be helpful along the way and wish to support its development there are links in the menu to both the Camino Forums and the Wise Pilgrim shop; contributions or purchases there are welcome.

Greetings from Santiago!
@ivar and @wisepilgrim
Thanks Ivar! I will download it as soon as I get a phone with more storage.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Outstanding! Does this replace or compliment all the previous copies of the Wise Pilgrim Guides and Wisely Map supplements I have installed on my iPhone/ FYI? I have them ALL.

Asked another way, now that I installed this new combination app, can I delete the previous copies of the Wise and Wisely apps that I have for all four of these routes?

Hope this helps.
This is a question for @wisepilgrim , but as far as I understand the Wisely apps are going away (this is the new one). He of course has his full guides that he sell as apps with more content than you get in this free app. These full guide apps will not go away.

...but I hope @wisepilgrim can chime in here :)

Camino(s) past & future
Many
@t2andreo, Ivar is correct. The Wisely apps were an experiment in recoding the original apps, and were released into the wild because I knew that
1. Android users were having trouble with the maps on the old apps, and
2. Non-EU pilgrims wanted a way to have maps without an internet connection.

I have now finished the work of making the full app do those things and more, and so the Wisely apps are in the process of being discontinued. The newly coded apps are now called 'Wisely +' and they are being rolled out one by one as I finish them.

So to be clear: There will eventually be a Wisely + app for all of the routes that currently have a version of the old Wise Pilgrim app. And the Wisely apps are being rolled into this one Camino Places app.

Clear?

Camino(s) past & future
Frances Aug(2013), Portuguese (2018) Le Puy (2019)
Ivar and WisePilgrim
Any chance of a Le Puy map/accommodation/guide? I have the Cicerone Guide but it is very difficult to find a town and it's accommodations. We don't speak French but it sounds like Miam Miam Dodo is our only option.
Hopefully someone is working on an understandable guide with map and accommodation list.
Thanks for your efforts.

Camino(s) past & future
Many
Ivar and WisePilgrim
Any chance of a Le Puy map/accommodation/guide? I have the Cicerone Guide but it is very difficult to find a town and it's accommodations. We don't speak French but it sounds like Miam Miam Dodo is our only option.
Hopefully someone is working on an understandable guide with map and accommodation list.
Thanks for your efforts.
I am not sure that I have the time to pick up such a large route all on my own at this time, but I would really really like to. Perhaps in the coming months I will have a more clear picture of what the family summer plans are (three boys on summer break, perhaps they want to join?) and I can give it a go. Alternatively, I would be happy to lend my cartography/production/programming tools to a forum written guide... not necessarily a ready product for you @Lyndale but surely something for future pilgrims.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances Aug(2013), Portuguese (2018) Le Puy (2019)
WisePilgrim
THREE BOYS on summer break sounds like you will already have your hands full. We are just in the starting stages of a plan and may not be able to go until 2020 so will wait and see what comes up.
It sure does look like an English version of the route would be extremely helpful due to limited beds.
Thanks for the quick reply
Lynda and Dale

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
@t2andreo, Ivar is correct. The Wisely apps were an experiment in recoding the original apps, and were released into the wild because I knew that
1. Android users were having trouble with the maps on the old apps, and
2. Non-EU pilgrims wanted a way to have maps without an internet connection.

I have now finished the work of making the full app do those things and more, and so the Wisely apps are in the process of being discontinued. The newly coded apps are now called 'Wisely +' and they are being rolled out one by one as I finish them.

So to be clear: There will eventually be a Wisely + app for all of the routes that currently have a version of the old Wise Pilgrim app. And the Wisely apps are being rolled into this one Camino Places app.

Clear?
I think you are saying to keep everything installed until you announce otherwise... Correct?

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Okay, done! Thanks. I was concerned that keeping too many copies of redundant apps might cause interference issues...

Thanks for the information.

Suzanne S.

Camino(s) past & future
(2015) Camino Frances/Muxia/Fisterre (2017) Caminho Portuguese/Fisterre
(2019) Camino del Norte
I would say that the Wisely versions for the Norte, Primitivo, Francés, and Portugués could safely be deleted. Their functionality has now been matched with the Wisely + apps.
I'm am such a wimp! This completely scares me. I will try to adjust!:eek:

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
This is great! I used the Wisepilgrim book for the Frances and enjoyed it thorougly. Much better than the Brierley guides, which are in part errounously (and more). Will get this app and figure out how to get it into my phone; the whole lot! :)

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
Thought Camino de Invierno in 2018 was my last camino, but I guess I have too try out this app!!

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Thank you!
I have downloaded the App on my IPad Air. In September I will use it on the Camino del Norte and will provide feedback then. Right now it is helpful being able to follow the maps to various destinations and zoom in on a location.

Camino(s) past & future
please see signature
We don't speak French but it sounds like Miam Miam Dodo is our only option.
@Lyndale , for the walk from Le Puy you may want consider Michelin guide 161 Le chemin de Compostelle from your favourite on-line bookseller. The only text is a selection of accomodation for the stages it shows. So no translation required. Has an elevation profile and a Michelin map for each stage. Quite light.

And Wisely will be even lighter on your phone or, in my case tablet (so I can get the big picture as well as the detail).

SFletcher

Una flecha sigue una flecha
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP - Pamplona (2018); Pamplona - Burgos (2019)
Tapping the back arrow closes the app when I had wanted to close a side menu and return to the map. Can this be fixed ?

captdave51

Camino(s) past & future
Sept(2016)
Ivar,
I'm having trouble using the app: When I tap on Camino Map, it just zooms into where I am now(the USA). When I select a route, (Camino Frances), it again zooms to my current location. I have also downloaded the offline maps also. Don't know how to open them either. How can I view the maps from the USA?

Camino(s) past & future
Many
Ivar,
I'm having trouble using the app: When I tap on Camino Map, it just zooms into where I am now(the USA). When I select a route, (Camino Frances), it again zooms to my current location. I have also downloaded the offline maps also. Don't know how to open them either. How can I view the maps from the USA?
The app is meant to be used while you are physically on the camino, which is why it keeps zooming to your current location. The offline maps provide coverage for that specific camino, and the only thing you need to do to see them is to zoom-in to the appropriate area of the map and to have the offline map selected (the bottom left button is a toggle).

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018

captdave51

Camino(s) past & future
Sept(2016)
Ivar,
I thought that I had downloaded the offline maps-it said it was done- but I cannot find them. Even in the downloads section of my phone they are just not there. I also assume that once successfully downloaded the toggle on the bottom left of the screen will be there only if I am on the Camino?

Camino(s) past & future
Levant from Avila 2013
Prim (2019)

Patrick Hickmott

Camino(s) past & future
Planning to walk the Camino Frances in September 2019
Just downloaded this and it looks fantastic!

Many thanks. I am sure this will be hugely valuable on our first Camino.

All the best,

Patrick

Iriebabel

Iriebabel & the cyborg turtle
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April (2018)
Camino Del Norte 26 March 2019
Thank you!
I have downloaded the App on my IPad Air. In September I will use it on the Camino del Norte and will provide feedback then. Right now it is helpful being able to follow the maps to various destinations and zoom in on a location.
I will use it end of March on the Norte will let you know .

cmk033

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Jan 21~Feb 27, 2019
I have downloaded the app on my android phone in US. It does not seem to work. I am not sure if this will change when I arrive at the trail. It displays the map of where I am in US. I pick the route to "Camino Francis" and different map is displayed then system automatically displays back to my current location in US map. Any help would appreciated as I am leaving on Sunday.

cmk033

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Jan 21~Feb 27, 2019
The app is meant to be used while you are physically on the camino, which is why it keeps zooming to your current location. The offline maps provide coverage for that specific camino, and the only thing you need to do to see them is to zoom-in to the appropriate area of the map and to have the offline map selected (the bottom left button is a toggle).
I see the topic has already been covered.... You can easily get lost in posts... Thanks wisepilgrim.

H Richards

Camino(s) past & future
June 2017 Francés
Oct 2017 Incomplete Le Puy / Francés
June/July 2018 Norte
Oct/Nov 2018 Francés
Here's an idea for your app...

You have the PDF here "Selection of Favourite Albergues" which I've found *very* useful. Could you incorporate the reviews / info in this PDF into the app, so essentially have a few special places highlighted within the app, instead of needing to refer to a separate document?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an idea for your app...

You have the PDF here "Selection of Favourite Albergues" which I've found *very* useful. Could you incorporate the reviews / info in this PDF into the app, so essentially have a few special places highlighted within the app, instead of needing to refer to a separate document?
I guess... but the bad thing is that those comments would be a bit old.. and things might have changed. Hopefully people will leave some comments in the app, and that these comments will be more up-to-date.

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
@ivar and @wisepilgrim : Thank you both for this offer! Have downloaded and will play/test it in April/May on CF. Most kind of you both!

Camino(s) past & future
Leon to Santiago (2018)
Planning future Camino (2019)
Dear all,

View attachment 50367

Android Version:
View attachment 50368

The app includes:

More about the app:

Greetings from Santiago!
@ivar and @wisepilgrim
Thank you kindly! Buen Camino!

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
This May, I am planning to do the "Camino Verde" Primitivo from Oviedo to Lugo, with the 2-day, Greenway crossover to Sobrado do Monxes, thence on the Norte until Lavacolla and into Santiago.

Others have done this before, notably Notion900. She documented the route very well in a Forum Resource. I am basing my planning on her and others earlier work. Locals have painted vivid GREEN arrows to mark this route. Notion900 has reinforced their work by painting additional directional green arrows. Brava!

My hope is to get this, as we have done with the Camino Invierno, talked about as an alternative to the last segments of the Camino Frances, in time for the coming Holy Year surge in 2021. I read elsewhere in the Forum that the annual volume of pilgrim traffic on the Invierno, as low as it is relative to other routes, still DOUBLED from 2017 to 2018. That is the sort of result I was hoping for.

That is the whole point. Offer others, especially veterans, viable alternatives to competing for bed space on the Frances as it reaches its end.

My plan is to drop into the end of the Frances at Lavacolla. There are more than enough commercial lodgings near the airport. It is an easy @ 10 km walk into Santiago the next morning. There, I have my favorite hotel to stay in before arriving at the Cathedral.

So, perhaps a future version of the Primitivo Guide might offer this alternative to spending the last 3-4 walking days on the Frances? I understand, and will verify for myself, that the scenery on the Verde route is much nicer.

As an aside, I had deen using the self-coined term "Camino PyN" (Primitivo y Norte) to describe this Camino "mixto." Then I read that the correct term is Camino Verde. Have I got it correct?

Manicka

Camino(s) past & future
Lisboa-Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre in 2018.
This May, I am planning to do the "Camino Verde" Primitivo from Oviedo to Lugo, with the 2-day, Greenway crossover to Sobrado do Monxes, thence on the Norte until Lavacolla and into Santiago.

Others have done this before, notably Notion900. She documented the route very well in a Forum Resource. I am basing my planning on her and others earlier work. Locals have painted vivid GREEN arrows to mark this route. Notion900 has reinforced their work by painting additional directional green arrows. Brava!

My hope is to get this, as we have done with the Camino Invierno, talked about as an alternative to the last segments of the Camino Frances, in time for the coming Holy Year surge in 2021. I read elsewhere in the Forum that the annual volume of pilgrim traffic on the Invierno, as low as it is relative to other routes, still DOUBLED from 2017 to 2018. That is the sort of result I was hoping for.

That is the whole point. Offer others, especially veterans, viable alternatives to competing for bed space on the Frances as it reaches its end.

My plan is to drop into the end of the Frances at Lavacolla. There are more than enough commercial lodgings near the airport. It is an easy @ 10 km walk into Santiago the next morning. There, I have my favorite hotel to stay in before arriving at the Cathedral.

So, perhaps a future version of the Primitivo Guide might offer this alternative to spending the last 3-4 walking days on the Frances? I understand, and will verify for myself, that the scenery on the Verde route is much nicer.

As an aside, I had deen using the self-coined term "Camino PyN" (Primitivo y Norte) to describe this Camino "mixto." Then I read that the correct term is Camino Verde. Have I got it correct?
I tried to figure out the route on google maps. Funny enough, the Norte and Primitivo have both blue-marked way through Sobrado d.M. to A Gándara and finally to Arzúa, Lavacolla and SdC. See http://santiago-compostela.net/camino-primitivo/ (the map). Is here the camino mixto already in place?

Manicka

Camino(s) past & future
Lisboa-Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre in 2018.
By the way, I am planning the Camino mixto (the Norte from Santander and then Primitivo to SdC) this May/June, starting May 16. Therefore, the Greenway crossover is interesting to me.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I tried to figure out the route on google maps. Funny enough, the Norte and Primitivo have both blue-marked way through Sobrado d.M. to A Gándara and finally to Arzúa, Lavacolla and SdC. See http://santiago-compostela.net/camino-primitivo/ (the map). Is here the camino mixto already in place?
The map at this site DOES appear to show the Greenway. But the text appears to show the traditional route from Lugo to Melide, and thence to Santiago.

Evidently, just after leaving Lugo, you hang a right turn to walk towards Friol, then then the second day to Sobrado dos Monxes. At Sobrado, you turn left onto the ending segment of the Norte.

Depending on exactly how you work it, you join the Frances at Brea, or like me, Lavacolla. That means I only plan to walk the last 10 km of the Frances, into Santiago. That was my intent.

Babyboomergirl

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2017,Camino Primitivo 2018, Camino Finisterre/Muxía 2018 Camino del Norte (2019 )
Dear all,

View attachment 50367

Android Version:
View attachment 50368

The app includes:
  • A track of the Camino you have selected (no turn-y-turn, but you can see where you are in relation to the camino)
  • Offline maps (optional). Download them from the menu.
  • Lodging alternatives for your camino (with option to book lodging, this requires an internet connection of course). Remember to download the images for all pensions, hotels,... in the "Downloads" menu).

More about the app:

Greetings from Santiago!
@ivar and @wisepilgrim
Thank you . I have the Wise Pilgrim guidebook and now with this app I can’t wait to start the Camino Del Norte in March.

Linnea923

Camino(s) past & future
Plan on hiking the Camino April-May 2019 and it's my first time and I'll be solo.
This app is amazing. I will be walking mostly solo and this is so helpful as I was worried about finding places to stay. Thank you!!!! I'm sure it was a challenge to put together.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Ch. d'Arles: Oloron Ste Marie to Aragones; Frances (2016); V.d.l.P.; Sanabres (2017)
I have been having problems with this app. My iPhone 5 has a very small screen surface to work on and ads for the app keep appearing and getting in the way. Today, it’s ads for booking accommodations with the app. I am considering deleting it to keep my level of irritation down, as I have so far found no use for it.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I have been having problems with this app. My iPhone 5 has a very small screen surface to work on and ads for the app keep appearing and getting in the way. Today, it’s ads for booking accommodations with the app. I am considering deleting it to keep my level of irritation down, as I have so far found no use for it.
Hi there,

There are no ads in this app. Feel free to delete it if it is if no use to you.

Ivar

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Ch. d'Arles: Oloron Ste Marie to Aragones; Frances (2016); V.d.l.P.; Sanabres (2017)
@ivar I have probably worded my last post poorly. Two banners have been appearing on my screen related to the Wisely forum app when I am trying to do something else on my tiny screen. One usually appears at the top and informs me repeatedly that I have downloaded the app, inviting me to open it. The other appeared several times in the middle of the screen this morning, inviting me to make accommodation bookings through the app. Neither was trying to sell me something specific, as far as I could see. But they got in the way and had to be repeatedly deleted before I could get back to what I was doing. I suspect that the app may be useful to me when I have more time to explore all its functions or am walking one of the routes covered by it. For now, I shall try to see if I can figure out how to store it for later. Thanks for your support as I get used to these new functions.

KerrieG

Camino(s) past & future
Part CF (2016), Camino Frances (2019)
First of all would like to thank Ivar (Camino Forum) and WisePilgrim for this brilliant app! Not being terribly tech-savvy, I just have a couple of things I'd like to get straight in my head. :)
  1. I previously had the Wise Pilgrim app that I had removed from my phone when I got home (between Caminos). When I read about the new Wisely app, I went looking for the old app to reload and it seems that it had been automatically replaced by the new app...would that be the case? Anyhow, somehow I have the new app.
  2. Today I downloaded the maps for Camino Frances (something I had dreaded trying to do) and you have made it so, so simple to do....amazing, thank you! Just one concern....would I already have had the maps seeing as I had the WisePilgrim app? Would the maps have downloaded today if I already had them on my phone? Just thinking of the space they'd take up.
  3. And lastly, I WILL be able to see my position on the map once I am there? And that is whether or not I am on line?
Many thanks once again.

ksam

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese '08, Frances '11, del Norte '14, Invierno '16, Ingles '17, Primitivo October 2018
Happily downloaded and can't wait till October! Will be giving the Portuguese portion a look see from Fatima to Porto this year!

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I previously had the Wise Pilgrim app that I had removed from my phone when I got home (between Caminos). When I read about the new Wisely app, I went looking for the old app to reload and it seems that it had been automatically replaced by the new app...would that be the case? Anyhow, somehow I have the new app.
I will @wisepilgrim answer this one.
Today I downloaded the maps for Camino Frances (something I had dreaded trying to do) and you have made it so, so simple to do....amazing, thank you! Just one concern....would I already have had the maps seeing as I had the WisePilgrim app? Would the maps have downloaded today if I already had them on my phone? Just thinking of the space they'd take up.
As I understand it, if you have deleted the other app.. everything is deleted.. the maps and all. So only maps for the app you currently have installed are stored on your phone.
And lastly, I WILL be able to see my position on the map once I am there? And that is whether or not I am on line?
Yes, when you tape the GPS arrow in the app (it looks different on Android and Ios) the map zoomes to your current location. So once on teh camino, you will see youself + the camino marked as a line on the map

KerrieG

Camino(s) past & future
Part CF (2016), Camino Frances (2019)
I will @wisepilgrim answer this one.

As I understand it, if you have deleted the other app.. everything is deleted.. the maps and all. So only maps for the app you currently have installed are stored on your phone.

Yes, when you tape the GPS arrow in the app (it looks different on Android and Ios) the map zoomes to your current location. So once on teh camino, you will see youself + the camino marked as a line on the map
Thank you Ivar! :) Thanks for clearing that up for me. Looking forward to using the app in September.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (May/June 2015)
VdlP (April 2019)
@wisepilgrim
Thanks for this offering. :)
I believe the VldP full guide is due soon for a newer version. Any date yet?
We are leaving end of March and I enjoyed the CF version a lot.
Thanks again.

Espee84

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés June/July 2018
VdlP- hatching plans
@wisepilgrim - I have noticed today that my Wise Pilgrim version of the Via de la Plata app has upgraded to Wisely+. It looks great. Thank you.

Where can I find the ‘settings’ button? I seem to recall there was a way to (eg) turn comments on and off in the old version.

Many thanks.

Geodoc

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (crossed Pyrenees then Sarria to SdC) 2018, Frances & Ingles Summer, 2019.
Just loaded it on my tablet! Thank you!

nollaigc

Camino(s) past & future
Walking since 2008, various stages of French,Norte and Via del Plata- addicted to the Way
Well done Ivar and WisePilgrim. I’ve downloaded this already and shared with my walking buddies. Looking forward to giving it a proper testing on the Camino Portugues in mid April.
Keep up the great work 👍👍👍👍👍

GJB

Camino(s) past & future
CF from Sarria (2011)
CP from Lisbon (2018)
CF from St Jean Pied (2019)
I am planning to walk CF in June with only this app as a guide. As it is a fairly new app, is there any feedback on how good the app worked on the Camino?

Camino(s) past & future
Many
@wisepilgrim - I have noticed today that my Wise Pilgrim version of the Via de la Plata app has upgraded to Wisely+. It looks great. Thank you.

Where can I find the ‘settings’ button? I seem to recall there was a way to (eg) turn comments on and off in the old version.

Many thanks.
There is no longer a settings page, neither in the Forum app nor in the Wisely + full guide app.
Ivar,
I thought that I had downloaded the offline maps-it said it was done- but I cannot find them. Even in the downloads section of my phone they are just not there. I also assume that once successfully downloaded the toggle on the bottom left of the screen will be there only if I am on the Camino?
They are not 'findable' on your phone. The actual maps are comprised of 40,00+ small tiles, which get loaded into the map view in a sensible way. So to get to them you need only switch back to the map view and press the 'online/offline' toggle on the bottom.

Babyboomergirl

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2017,Camino Primitivo 2018, Camino Finisterre/Muxía 2018 Camino del Norte (2019 )
I am planning to walk CF in June with only this app as a guide. As it is a fairly new app, is there any feedback on how good the app worked on the Camino?
I have just started the Camino del Norte and so far the app is brilliant. I can offline track wherever I am and it’s already proved very useful and reassuring.

Espee84

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés June/July 2018
VdlP- hatching plans
I used last year’s Wise Pilgrim app and it was great. The route map and location feature were accurate (and invaluable). The accommodation guide was reasonably accurate - most albergues cost a couple of euros more than stated and a few new hostels had opened up since the app was updated. I appreciated the comments from other pilgrims. All in all superb and meant I didn’t need to take a heavy guidebook with me.

GJB

Camino(s) past & future
CF from Sarria (2011)
CP from Lisbon (2018)
CF from St Jean Pied (2019)
I have just started the Camino del Norte and so far the app is brilliant. I can offline track wherever I am and it’s already proved very useful and reassuring.
I used last year’s Wise Pilgrim app and it was great. The route map and location feature were accurate (and invaluable). The accommodation guide was reasonably accurate - most albergues cost a couple of euros more than stated and a few new hostels had opened up since the app was updated. I appreciated the comments from other pilgrims. All in all superb and meant I didn’t need to take a heavy guidebook with me.
Thanks for both of your feedbacks. That is very encouraging and good to know.:)

AndyTomas

Camino(s) past & future
May (2019)
Dear all,

View attachment 50367

Android Version:
View attachment 50368

The app includes:

More about the app:

Greetings from Santiago!
@ivar and @wisepilgrim
Good afternoon,
I downloaded the app, which is amazing, thanks again for it.
I was also trying to download the map and the photos, but after few minutes that the download is finished the button became green and say “done”. After that if I change page or try to download the photos it stuck there without possibility to seeing the map downloaded.
Can you help me?

Sho

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés, 2019
I'm not sure the app is working correctly for me on an Android phone. The only map I can see is my own house. [Edited to add: Okay, I found the Camino, but once I zoom in enough to see the black labels, I can't zoom closer in. In addition, clicking on the name of a town puts me on a screen headed "B. Reserve a bed in [town name]." I see icons for things like restaurants at the top, but I don't see any information about anything except if I click to go to Booking.com for the hotels. I can't zoom in very close, and I don't see anything but towns marked on the map.] I downloaded the offline maps and images, apparently successfully, but I can't locate them. Is there an instruction page or introduction? Something I should do differently? ETA: Also, the app keeps stopping and closing.

ETA: Looking at the app preview online, there are 3 map tiles showing different views. I can only see the 3rd one, not the first two at street view level with amenities marked.

Last edited:

RumAndChupacabras

Do unto other's as you would have them do unto you
Camino(s) past & future
Jul-Sept 2019 ~Apr. 2018 Oviedo, Santo Toribio, Covadonga~May/June 2016 Portuguese
I was also trying to download the map and the photos, but after few minutes that the download is finished the button became green and say “done”. After that ... it stuck there without possibility to seeing the map downloaded.
I had the same thing happen earlier today. My phone might not have had enough memory for such a big file.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May 2016
C. Frances, Sept 2017
Camino Portugues, June 2019
Thank you for this app. All the more reason for people to donate to this forum.

Sho

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés, 2019
I'm not sure. I can't get it to work even in online mode, and I've cleared all other data and most of my removable apps from the device. I noticed that several people on this thread and elsewhere have commented that they're having trouble with an Android device, for what it's worth.

Peter D

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese (2016)
I made a reservation a few days ahead using the app, but on the day it reported " no reservation". The albergue in question was closed when I got there so I walked on, would have waited if I was sure I had a reservation.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I made a reservation a few days ahead using the app, but on the day it reported " no reservation". The albergue in question was closed when I got there so I walked on, would have waited if I was sure I had a reservation.
The app opens up the the reservation page in your browser (the app does not do the reservation, you do that in your browser). Not sure what the problem might have been. :-(

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2019
I guess... but the bad thing is that those comments would be a bit old.. and things might have changed. Hopefully people will leave some comments in the app, and that these comments will be more up-to-date.
Looking forward to seeing how these comments evolve as I walk through from Burgos soon, I'll do my best to help to add to the new info with pertinent comments as I make my way slowly westwards :)

Thanks @ivar and @wisepilgrim

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 140 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 234 25.1%