• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Galician language series on Netflix

ricitosdeplata

Time of past OR future Camino
09/2015: Via de la Plata
I just finished watching Bitter Daisies set in Muriás, Asturias,Spain. It's mostly in Galician. For anyone trying to practice their listening skills in Galician this is a good resource. Since it was for the most part close enough to Spanish I could understand it. I wonder if it wouldn't take much to learn some basic Galician to have a simple conversation. I was uncomfortable that I was not able to speak back in Gallego when I was in Santiago. The story line is interesting at any rate. The camino was mentioned as the Pope was to visit Santiago so there was a shortage of police who had been called on to help for the event.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For a Spanish speaker it is not difficult to get a basic Galician level .The locals will be pleased of hearing you but they will speak you in Spanish if you don't have a good command.

You're probably right. There was only I incident where a sales clerk continued to speak to me in Gallego in spite of my Spanish. I was embarrassed that I didn't know how to even say thank you or the other niceties. Won't make that mistake on my next camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You're probably right. There was only I incident where a sales clerk continued to speak to me in Gallego in spite of my Spanish. I was embarrassed that I didn't know how to even say thank you or the other niceties. Won't make that mistake on my next camino.
The sales clerk was impolite.This behaviour is quite unusual in Galicia.From my point of view you didn't make any mistake.
In Galego/Gallego Thank you is Grazas but almost everybody (including me) says Gracias.

I just finished watching Bitter Daisies set in Muriás, Asturias,Spain. It's mostly in Galician. For anyone trying to practice their listening skills in Galician this is a good resource. Since it was for the most part close enough to Spanish I could understand it. I wonder if it wouldn't take much to learn some basic Galician to have a simple conversation. I was uncomfortable that I was not able to speak back in Gallego when I was in Santiago. The story line is interesting at any rate. The camino was mentioned as the Pope was to visit Santiago so there was a shortage of police who had been called on to help for the event.
Based on this post I watched the series on Netflix. It was a very dark type of crime drama, not exactly Camino friendly - so be prepared for some unsavory scenes! However, I must admit I became hooked until the end - just to find out "who did it". I can understand 50% of Gallego as I speak fluent Castellano Spanish, but it speaking is another thing. For someone wanting to learn some basic Gallego (Galego in Galician Spanish), I would think that series to be too difficult a place to start. Some shorter YouTube videos might be more appropriate. The link below is a light-hearted music video called La Bertolina (an old agricultural machine still used in Galicia)
Hope this helps,
Mark

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Galegomanes can always check out easily available podcasts (even hip-hop in Galego!)-- the most practical might be to follow the news in Galego (Grande Reportagem), but I've just signed up for the jazz programming. As an exercise for a Minnesotan pilgrim friend, I've suggested that she use Garcia Lorca's poem Chove in Santiago, easily available in both Castellano and Galego, and sung very clearly by Luar na Lubre's lead vocalist (whose name I can't offhand remember).

Galegomanes can always check out easily available podcasts (even hip-hop in Galego!)-- the most practical might be to follow the news in Galego (Grande Reportagem), but I've just signed up for the jazz programming. As an exercise for a Minnesotan pilgrim friend, I've suggested that she use Garcia Lorca's poem Chove in Santiago, easily available in both Castellano and Galego, and sung very clearly by Luar na Lubre's lead vocalist (whose name I can't offhand remember).
Wow, that song Chove en Santiago I hadn't heard before. It's a beautiful song and video that just brought back a flood of emotions for me, thanks for posting this.
Here is the link for the video I just watched:

Based on this post I watched the series on Netflix. It was a very dark type of crime drama, not exactly Camino friendly - so be prepared for some unsavory scenes! However, I must admit I became hooked until the end - just to find out "who did it". I can understand 50% of Gallego as I speak fluent Castellano Spanish, but it speaking is another thing. For someone wanting to learn some basic Gallego (Galego in Galician Spanish), I would think that series to be too difficult a place to start. Some shorter YouTube videos might be more appropriate. The link below is a light-hearted music video called La Bertolina (an old agricultural machine still used in Galicia)
Hope this helps,
Mark

Ha Ha Ha A bertolina vs a rotary mower.
This video had a great success in Galicia. It is rural Galician humour. The phrases are very difficult to understand for Spaniards from outside Galicia and even for urban Galicians.
Many Spaniards think that they undertand Galego but sometimes they are wrong because it has false friends with Castellano. For example (for those who know Spanish) when they say on the video "Es moi moderno" is not "El es muy moderno" but "Tu eres muy moderno"(You are very modern).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, Bitter Daisies is pretty dark. Sorry I didn't warn y'all. Thanks for the links for Chove and Bertolina, MarkyD and Oursonpolaire. Is Grande Reportagem in Portuguese?

Hope this helps,
Mark

This video made my day
Didn't understand a word
Brilliant!

(Note to self: must learn a little Galego)

Thank you

Yes, Bitter Daisies is pretty dark. Sorry I didn't warn y'all. Thanks for the links for Chove and Bertolina, MarkyD and Oursonpolaire. Is Grande Reportagem in Portuguese?

I believe that Grande Reportagem is in Galego. Search engines on iTunes found it, and it sounds Galego to me. Somebody who knows the language can likely confirm it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back