• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Gate at Espadanal (Vila Franca de Xira - Azambuja)

Rodrigo Cerqueira

Time of past OR future Camino
3 French from St. Jean Pied Port, 3 Portuguese from Lisbon, 1 Portuguese from Porto, 1 Primitivo from Oviedo, 19 Lisbon - Fatima, 2 Porto - Fatima, 1 Coimbra - Fátima... Open the caminhos Nascente Fátima - Tomar, Poente Nazaré- Fátima, the north connection from Fátima to Ansião and Caminho Santiago central.
New gate in Espadanal, with individual passage through the gate, in the Caminho do Tejo between Vila Nova da Rainha and Azambuja. This is a public path constructed by Infraestructuras de Portugal (Portuguese government company) to give technical support to the railway. It is not private property and pilgrim passage can it be denied. Pilgrims must pass through the gate.

https://www.caminho.com.pt/index_e.html

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=16ac49jIjmdGxGv6b3E1AyTW5LlM&ll=39.045445065362706%2C-8.904419373242263&z=13

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you walked through Vila Franca da Xira then you were among the mere one percent of pilgrims starting from Lisbon/Lisboa on their way to Santiago.
Of course most start in Porto. Vila France da Xira is the bull fighting capital of
Portugal, with all of these clubs for bull fighting enthusiast, like with pictures of Matadors on the walls and taxidermy heads of bulls and guys drinlking beer and discussing the finer points of the sport. There is a horse breeding farm for the famous Luisitano horses outside the town. In Portugal the Bulls are fought from mounted horses by both men and women, in 18th century costumes and they are not killed in the ring. This is very much unlike Spanish bull fighting when only men kill the Bulls in the ring. After the mounted Matadors do their taunting of the bull, eight guys (known as the suicide squad) face catch the bull and then the fight is over.
You have to love the Portuguese.
I had a terrific meal in Vila Franca de Xira at the Refugio do Rei Restaurant. It was a Baccalau in a bechemel sauce topped with mushrooms and corn meal. No one does seafood like the Portuguese. This is all described in the Amazon book I wrote. My second Camino book.
The restaurant has this Fado poem on the wall that tells the story of a Portuguese King who is so bored and isolated by the formality of the Kings Court.
He dresses up as a poor man and sneaks out at night to go where the common people are playing Fado music...which is the most authentic experience in his life. This is his escape, the refuge of the King to be with the common people. Quite lyrical and a lovely narrative.
Very cool town on the Portugese route which I did two years ago, then wrote the book.
Terence Callery

Last edited:
It's not the (for walkers open) gate between train station Carregado and Vila Nova da Rainha, is it?
I haven't crossed the railway last year and went along the service track. One time I had to get close to the fenced railway line to cross a little river. From the footprints anybody does jump this fence, but that might be the reason that the arrow in Carregado was pointing the opposite direction.
As the you are crossing the river in about 2m distance to the train track, it's not 100% safe but I feel less safe while walking on roads in Portugal with all the crazy car drivers.

Both variants are shown on this map: https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#?map=15!39.0209!-8.9375

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's not the (for walkers open) gate between train station Carregado and Vila Nova da Rainha, is it?
I haven't crossed the railway last year and went along the service track. One time I had to get close to the fenced railway line to cross a little river. From the footprints anybody does jump this fence, but that might be the reason that the arrow in Carregado was pointing the opposite direction.
As the you are crossing the river in about 2m distance to the train track, it's not 100% safe but I feel less safe while walking on roads in Portugal with all the crazy car drivers.

Both variants are shown on this map: https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#?map=15!39.0209!-8.9375
Dear Pilger99
We* are working to change the actual path that go’s around the Big Energy production factory of Vala do Carregado to a new path along the train line between Carregado and Vila Nova da Rainha. To do that we need to build 2 bridges of 35meters each. It’s a big challenge but we have hope, fix this problem. At the moment this alternative it’s dangerous because pilgrim have to pass over the train bridge. The trains pass on this bridge 180km/h.

A Pilgrim hug.

*www.caminho.com.pt

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back