• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New gear inventory website : hikerherd.com

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Spring 2022
CP Spring 2024
Many of us who enjoy planning / "overthinking" (sic) our Camino are already familiar with LighterPack.com, an online tool that lets you list, organize, and weigh out the contents of your backpack. I've used it for years and have found it to be invaluable in deciding how and what to pack and planning my upcoming Camino in general.

Today I came across hikerherd.com, another site that does much the same thing but adds several useful features, like adding notes to items, searching for items online, and wish lists for things you want to buy / remember to take before you pack them. I also like the interface, which lets you drag and drop items between categories - the developer said that he was inspired by laying out his gear on a bed before packing for a trip, which is something I know many of us also do. So it's intuitive and even fun to use as well.

QMLmTIX.png

(Note: that screenshot is from the developer's site preview and is not my pack inventory. I'll share mine when it's ready for public approbation or censure šŸ§)

The site is in beta right now which means you may run into a minor glitch here or there, but the developer is receptive to hearing about them and plans to add more features over time. So it seems a worthy addition to my bookmark arsenal. Maybe to yours too?

(Found via r/Ultralight on Reddit.com, which is a great resource even if you're not a full-on ultralight aficionado/a.)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
What fun!!
Another resource for the gear freaks among us šŸ˜‚

Sites like these can feed some of the anticipatory excitement of planning but they can be a trap.
All my ā€˜ultralight knowledgeā€˜ is still rooted sometime in the 80s.
Most of my gear comes from the last century too šŸ˜„
(apart from my merino stuff and a pack)
I simply cannot afford to keep renewing it.

Anyone with a background of hillwalking/backpacking/wild camping will have the basics already but this site looks accessible and well thought out, on first acquaintance.

Thanks for posting it!

Sites like these can feed some of the anticipatory excitement of planning but they can be a trap.

Oh, don't I know it! I spend just enough time in ultralight circles online to glean ideas about new products and how to pack more efficiently - but I start to glaze over when the talk starts turning to bespoke titanium sporks and trimming one's toothbrush to save a few grams, for that way madness lies. I suppose sites like LighterPack and the new, curiously named Hikerherd help me most as far as pack organization is concerned. (But am I weird for finding the challenge of setting a weight limit for my pack ā€“ 7.5 kilos in my case ā€“ and pruning my equipment list accordingly to be sort of ... fun?)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many of us who enjoy planning / "overthinking" (sic) our Camino are already familiar with LighterPack.com, an online tool that lets you list, organize, and weigh out the contents of your backpack. I've used it for years and have found it to be invaluable in deciding how and what to pack and planning my upcoming Camino in general.

Today I came across hikerherd.com, another site that does much the same thing but adds several useful features, like adding notes to items, searching for items online, and wish lists for things you want to buy / remember to take before you pack them. I also like the interface, which lets you drag and drop items between categories - the developer said that he was inspired by laying out his gear on a bed before packing for a trip, which is something I know many of us also do. So it's intuitive and even fun to use as well.

View attachment 118170

(Note: that screenshot is from the developer's site preview and is not my pack inventory. I'll share mine when it's ready for public approbation or censure šŸ§)

The site is in beta right now which means you may run into a minor glitch here or there, but the developer is receptive to hearing about them and plans to add more features over time. So it seems a worthy addition to my bookmark arsenal. Maybe to yours too?

(Found via r/Ultralight on Reddit.com, which is a great resource even if you're not a full-on ultralight aficionado/a.)
Following

People were cutting handles off toothbrushes as far back as 1986, on a Mountain marathon I took part in, though most of these lightweight fanatics were actually drilling holes in said handles! šŸ˜‚

Only one hole? Wouldn't two save even more weight? How about three then, or four? At what point does a toothbrush handle become less of an actual handle and more of a giant hole? Does one even need to pack a toothbrush at all when humankind for centuries tended to their teeth with twigs and hog bristles, both of which are likely easy to find along the Camino (and biodegradable, too!) Like I said - that way madness lies ... šŸ˜

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
(But am I weird for finding the challenge of setting a weight limit for my pack ā€“ 7.5 kilos in my case ā€“ and pruning my equipment list accordingly to be sort of ... fun?)
Even for the fact that I am not a super-lightweight-walker, my pack for crossing the alps weighed only 6.2kg including sticks. And I had anything available that was required. The b/p itself only 940gr.

My co-walkers were astonished of the weight. Mostly they used monstrous framed backpacks, weighing 2-3kg. The heaviest b/p on that trip was almost 11kg.

What a good idea! Iā€™m now considerabel applying the same method on my backpack. Leaving just enough fabric to keep the contents in.

You can save even more weight by cutting holes into every article of clothing as well - which also has the benefit of providing more ventilation while simultaneously cutting down on laundry costs. Itā€™s a win all around!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.