• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Gear

ayidinmokum

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2003
Hello All,

Ive decided to do the camino next year as its the 20 year anniversary of my first trip and Im a bit lost on what gear to use. I've not done much hiking in the last 15 years, more a cyclist these days, however I've walked the CF and Pacific Coastal Trail (Seattle to SF) when I was 20 and 25. I used an old pair of 80s/90s Chunky rubber soled combat boots, and a canvas drawstring surplus rucksack from the 70s. Ive never had any complaints with either, but my partner, probably correctly, thinks Im nuts if i try to use that stuff again.

Are the new boots and backpacks really that much different or needed or is just marketing bluster? All the posts about people agonizing over pack weight and footwear really has my thru a loop basically. Last time i just threw some stuff and a bag and started walking.

I know im not as young as last time, and i don't do much hiking, but I routinely put in 100-300km cycling days if that helps you judge my fitness?

Also anyone able recommend a lightweight loafer for dining at night at some of the bib gourmand and/or Michelin places?

thanks for any help

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Are you thinking of using the same 50-year-old combat boots and pack? If so, a good plan would be to load a random assortment of clothes, put on the boots, and then go for a 20-km walk.

What footwear would you use at home for a normal long day on your feet? Similarly, what do you wear for your neighbourhood fine dining? Put them in your pack to see if they fit. Otherwise, I recommend croc-style footwear.

I should add, in all seriousness, that I think I would be unable to walk long distances without the aid of new modern running shoes and custom orthotics, and the comfort of a modern backpack and carefully reduced load. Maybe 50 years ago, I could, but things have changed!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Whilst clothing, footwear and equipment to walk the Camino is quite often overrated on this forum IMO I would recommend getting new footwear. A lot has changed in twenty years.
I've walked the Camino many times and still haven't found the perfect footwear clothing and equipment combo. 😆

Maybe a useful thing to do would be to call into a couple of outdoors stores - eg Decathlon - have a browse and try on some of their hiking gear, their shoes/boots and a loaded pack to, say 7 kilos, and see how you feel. Get the pack fitted if you can. This might not be possible in a Decathlon store but may be in other outdoor stores.

It’s not going to be nearly as good as if you were to do a few 20km walks with a loaded pack but it’s a start in any comparison.

Depending on which Camino you walk you should also be able to find an outdoors store in the cities if you do need to replace anything you bring from home.

Buen camino!

Last edited:
Are you thinking of using the same 50-year-old combat boots and pack? If so, a good plan would be to load a random assortment of clothes, put on the boots, and then go for a 20-km walk.

What footwear would you use at home for a normal long day on your feet? Similarly, what do you wear for your neighbourhood fine dining? Put them in your pack to see if they fit. Otherwise, I recommend croc-style footwear.
Nah those boots finally gave up years ago even the steel toe box started separating from the boot. At home I wear dress boots, both for a long day on my feet and for fine dining, and they definitely wouldn't fit and are quite heavy.

I dont think i have the confidence to wear crocs to a 2 star dinner...

Thanks for the tips though, I'll go check out bever and carl denig and see how some of the more modern stuff feels.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Reflecting on thoughts from above, let me highly recommend a good quality hiking shoe plus inserts. I have gone between a couple different hiking and running shoes. By far a well fitted hiking shoe has become my preference. This past spring I walked the CP in more of a minimalist running shoe and had very tired and sore feet every day of our Camino. Get fitted for a high quality shoe and spend time walking in them. Through experience, I’ve also come to be mindful of good foot care both on and off the Camino. Finally, and it’s related to your walking experience, keep your pack weight down and make sure your pack fits. You’ve been on the Camino so you know you don’t really need much. I keep my pack weight under 7 kgs. I find that it makes for more enjoyable walking day after day. So, IMHO, I think good modern equipment can make a big difference in your Camino experience. Do the research. See what’s right for you. I don’t think it’s just hype.

Nah those boots finally gave up years ago even the steel toe box started separating from the boot. At home I wear dress boots, both for a long day on my feet and for fine dining, and they definitely wouldn't fit and are quite heavy.

I dont think i have the confidence to wear crocs to a 2 star dinner...

Thanks for the tips though, I'll go check out bever and carl denig and see how some of the more modern stuff feels.

I’ve worked in quarrying for a while where steel toe-caps were compulsory, so yours have probably done you a favour by coming to the end of their life. Your fitness levels sound to be excellent, all you need are decent modern shoes or boots and a lightweight rucksack ; although an old-school sack will do the job.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Backpacks don't last forever. Even in storage the materials they are made of degrade.
What to wear in a Michelin starred restaurant has never been a concern of mine on the Camino.
My closest village (Cartmel, Cumbria, a mile down the road) has a 2* and a 3* restaurant. They couldn’t care less if you turn up in crocs and jeans. Their focus is on the food, providing you’re civilised and solvent.

Backpacks don't last forever. Even in storage the materials they are made of degrade.
What to wear in a Michelin starred restaurant has never been a concern of mine on the Camino.
It wasnt my first time either, though now im quite the fan of fine dining, figured I'd take an off day in each of the major cities and they almost all have a Michelin restaurant, it would seem a crime to not try them.
My closest village (Cartmel, Cumbria, a mile gown the road) has a 2* and a 3* restaurant. They couldn’t care less if you turn up in crocs and jeans. Their focus is on the food, providing you’re civilised and solvent.
thanks for that idea. I will give the restaurants a shout after the new year and check on dress code. If its as relaxed as your village, I'll dust off whatever hiking boots i end up with before going, certainly beats carrying a pair of loafers around.

I am another in the boat as describe by @JennyH94,. The way hiking gear has adapted, modernised over the past 5/10 years let alone 20 will "blow your mind". So yes drop into Decathlon, REO or any other reputable "outdoors" shop near to you. Explain what/how you intend to use the products they are selling and if you get a good response then stick around. If the vibs are bad then start looking for another store. I hope that this help. Buen Camino and Happy 2023 walking the world.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My closest village (Cartmel, Cumbria, a mile down the road) has a 2* and a 3* restaurant. They couldn’t care less if you turn up in crocs and jeans. Their focus is on the food, providing you’re civilised and solvent.
Noticed in a bunch of threads you've mentioned that you wear lightweight leather boots and trousers. Do you mind sharing the brand names??

Noticed in a bunch of threads you've mentioned that you wear lightweight leather boots and trousers. Do you mind sharing the brand names??
Certainly.

I have worn Zamberlan boots, almost daily, for decades. Currently the Ultralite GTX. I get a year out of a pair. They can be re-soled; but not often with success and the price differential vs a new pair isn’t worth it. I use the Zamberlan hydrobloc proofing cream, which can be applied successfully to wet boots.

Zamberlan, although Italian, make their boots on the so-called ‘English last’; which is broader in the fore-foot than most Italian manufacturers who use the ‘Italian last’ which owes more to style than comfort; in my opinion.

Trousers are a different story. My youth was spent climbing in the alps with the tail-end some of the well-known Chamonix bin-men. You could spot a Brit a mile off: leather boots; Ron-Hill tracksters, a buffalo pile-smock and a POD black-ice rucksack.

Although a crime against fashion, and occasionally verging on obscene; I often walk in a pair of Ron’s finest. (But not if Mrs HtD is in the vicinity)

It’s ‘old school’; but so am I

Happy New Year.

D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Trousers are a different story. My youth was spent climbing in the alps with the tail-end some of the well-known Chamonix bin-men. You could spot a Brit a mile off: leather boots; Ron-Hill tracksters, a buffalo pile-smock and a POD black-ice rucksack.
I have 2 pairs of Ron Hills, bought in 1990!! One pair is now cut off just below the knees and is used for decorating and gardening ; the other pair still gets used for hiking or using as a base layer. Will be sorry when they finally disintegrate. Definitely not a fashion item, but very comfortable.

Hi, yes, current equipment, shoes and backpacks are different. Although I didn't use this resource and finished my Camino Frances on October 21, 2022. I have friends who have, and seemed very well prepared. It may be convenient for you as well: https://americanpilgrims.org/
These are people, who have been and some who are preparing to go. They meet and talk about what has worked well for them and other tips.
All the best... Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Highly recommend a pair of OOfos for evening walk, fantastic after long runs, rides, and hiking.

Hi, yes, current equipment, shoes and backpacks are different. Although I didn't use this resource and finished my Camino Frances on October 21, 2022. I have friends who have, and seemed very well prepared. It may be convenient for you as well: https://americanpilgrims.org/
These are people, who have been and some who are preparing to go. They meet and talk about what has worked well for them and other tips.
All the best... Buen Camino!
Thanks will check it out. I guess I'm technically still an American, at least according to the IRS, though its been decades since I've been back for more than a couple days. Also thanks because it gave me the idea to look for a nederland version, and sure enough there is one. Bedankt.

Hello All,

Ive decided to do the camino next year as its the 20 year anniversary of my first trip and Im a bit lost on what gear to use. I've not done much hiking in the last 15 years, more a cyclist these days, however I've walked the CF and Pacific Coastal Trail (Seattle to SF) when I was 20 and 25. I used an old pair of 80s/90s Chunky rubber soled combat boots, and a canvas drawstring surplus rucksack from the 70s. Ive never had any complaints with either, but my partner, probably correctly, thinks Im nuts if i try to use that stuff again.

Are the new boots and backpacks really that much different or needed or is just marketing bluster? All the posts about people agonizing over pack weight and footwear really has my thru a loop basically. Last time i just threw some stuff and a bag and started walking.

I know im not as young as last time, and i don't do much hiking, but I routinely put in 100-300km cycling days if that helps you judge my fitness?

Also anyone able recommend a lightweight loafer for dining at night at some of the bib gourmand and/or Michelin places?

thanks for any help
My first Camino was when I was 25, and my second was over 25 years later. I can say from personal experience that not only has equipment changed over the past 30 years, so has my body and its capabilities. If I were you, I'd take advantage of every upgrade in equipment and footwear to help accommodate the changes in your body in the opposite direction. :)

I acknowledge what you've written about cycling, but I expect it uses some different muscles than walking with a backpack and heavy weight on your feet.

Why not take advantage of improved equipment? I could see if your financial situation made it a challenge and you needed to use the equipment you have at hand. But if you are talking about dining at Michelin starred establishments, I suspect that is not the case.

You can always do as C Clearly suggests and take some long walks with the old equipment and the new and compare and see which feels better to you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Some great advice already re the changing needs of the body as we get older - and that while you are obviously fit, you will be using a different set of muscles in your body - and your feet - walking with a pack.
I just wanted to add that from my perspective there seems to be a lot more anxiety in the world in general than there was 20 years ago, and this bleeds into Camino preparation.
Recommendation- enjoy treating yourself to some new gear, do a few preparatory walks to see how the non-cycling muscles react and go … you will have a great time.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On my first Camino I met Patrick from Switzerland, makes wooden jewellery in Portugal. He was on his thirteenth camino. He wore flip flops/ thongs, had his all in an old French army Sac a Dos and did 30K a day like the rest of us. You'll be grand

Ive decided to do the camino next year as its the 20 year anniversary of my first trip and Im a bit lost on what gear to use. I've not done much hiking in the last 15 years, more a cyclist these days
In my youth, I walked my local equivalent of parts of the PCT.

Even if I still had it, I would not use it for any part of the CF.

I suggest you take your cycling clothing and adjust for walking, for example:

Footwear
As noted by others above, running shoes will normally be easier and lighter.
My running shoes have an open weave, so heat build up is not an issue. Nor have I experienced issues from rain.

I have varicose vein issues. My first knee height sox (hose) has some light pressure effect and is relatively thin by quite durable.
Over that I also wear knee height sports sox.

Tops
I suggest you consider layering to cope with weather.
For me, most days I usually start (about sunrise) with a short sleeve merino top. Within less than 30 minutes my body heat and normal temperature increases prevent stopping simply to change.

If closer to 0 C or quite windy the chill factor suggests starting with a long sleeve top, and in more extreme conditions a short sleeve top with a (wind / rain proof) parka.

From my observations, this is similar to what cyclists in my region do.

In the pack is a change of hose, underpants, the unused tops, usual collection of chargers, dressings, headlight, water bottle, water and tube, etc.

While not needed on the Frances, I also have have a two person tent (me and my pack) and a sleeping bag / quilt.

My all up starting weight is just on 7 kg plus snacks of choice for lunch, depending on the route and availability.

For your journey ahead I say kia kaha, kia maia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, confident and patient).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello All,

thanks for any help
I would definitely recommend going to a few really good outdoor stores and googling for gear information. Different stores carry different brands but all good stores will help educate you as to what to look for. On Camino Frances, restaurants are used to alot of pilgrims, so I would recommend a lightweight second pair of shoes--something a little loose in case you find that your feet are swelling after a long day of walking.

I would definitely recommend going to a few really good outdoor stores and googling for gear information. Different stores carry different brands but all good stores will help educate you as to what to look for. On Camino Frances, restaurants are used to alot of pilgrims, so I would recommend a lightweight second pair of shoes--something a little loose in case you find that your feet are swelling after a long day of walking.
I was thinking about taking a pair of casual lightweight shoes also. I have a pair of Hoka Speedgoats for walking. They're a bit lairy and I don't want to wear those or flip flops out. I have a pair of Skechers. They look a bit like boat shoes, are super comfortable and lightweight.

I was thinking about taking a pair of casual lightweight shoes also. I have a pair of Hoka Speedgoats for walking. They're a bit lairy and I don't want to wear those or flip flops out. I have a pair of Skechers. They look a bit like boat shoes, are super comfortable and lightweight.
When I walked the Appalachian trail, even though I was a weak hiker, my foot was bigger at the end of the day. I had brought slip ons but couldn't wear them. My hiking shoes are 1/2 size larger. So now I usually take hiking sandals to use at night because you can use the straps to adjust the size. It would be interesting to see what others use for their after walking.

When I walked the Appalachian trail, even though I was a weak hiker, my foot was bigger at the end of the day. I had brought slip ons but couldn't wear them. My hiking shoes are 1/2 size larger. So now I usually take hiking sandals to use at night because you can use the straps to adjust the size. It would be interesting to see what others use for their after walking.

Hiking sandals. Can air the feet even with socks, room to move, adjust straps if needed.

It would be interesting to see what others use for their after walking.
Short answer
Inside the hostel - the sox I will wear the next day
Outside - my only pair of shoes and tomorrow's sox

Long answer:
Were I to take my house slippers, I would feel duty bound to take my smoking jacket, and so on. Where to draw the line?

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

my foot was bigger at the end of the day. I had brought slip ons but couldn't wear them. My hiking shoes are 1/2 size larger. So now I usually take hiking sandals to use at night because you can use the straps to adjust the size. It would be interesting to see what others use for their after walking.
I wear slip-ons of the right size for end-of-day use while wearing socks.

Short answer
Inside the hostel - the sox I will wear the next day
Outside - my only pair of shoes and tomorrow's sox

Long answer:
Were I to take my house slippers, I would feel duty bound to take my smoking jacket, and so on. Where to draw the line?

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)
lol dont give me any ideas jk, I've decided to just take one nice pair of shoes and a seersucker shirt, so as to have a dress shirt that wont wrinkle.

Im looking to be around 10-13kg. Last time i did camino i was at 20kg without food/water, however i was fresh out of 8 years of military school where we routinely humped 30-35kg packs on forced marches, so 20kg and 30-40km days was nothing abnormal.

My 2 cents - get a new pair of trail runners. Much better than the old chunky heavy soled combat boots for sure. Much lighter. Breath better. Don't need boots. If you WANT boots - fine - but I would look for a lightweight boot.

Backpack - get fitted for something in the 30-45L range. I do just fine with a 30L. A good pack has well fitting straps, a hip belt that takes the weight off of your shoulders, and a chest strap (with an emergency whistle as a bonus". Waterproof is great, or a nice pack with a pack rain cover or waterproof liner. I love Osprey packs myself. There are other great packs out there.

For evening shoes - I would take a pair of lightweight hiking sandals that can be used around town or to hike in if you need a break from your hiking shoes/boots. Don't need loafers. If you really want them then fine - but can you hike in your loafers if needed? And are they very lightweight? You decide. I wear hiking sandals with toe sock liners in the evenings.

Shoot for keeping your total baseweight to 15 pounds or less if possible. I know that Pacific Coastal Trail you probably carried a huge, heavy pack. Totally unnecessary for a Camino. Your body will thank you for lightening your load.

My 2 cents - get a new pair of trail runners. Much better than the old chunky heavy soled combat boots for sure. Much lighter. Breath better. Don't need boots. If you WANT boots - fine - but I would look for a lightweight boot.

Backpack - get fitted for something in the 30-45L range. I do just fine with a 30L. A good pack has well fitting straps, a hip belt that takes the weight off of your shoulders, and a chest strap (with an emergency whistle as a bonus". Waterproof is great, or a nice pack with a pack rain cover or waterproof liner. I love Osprey packs myself. There are other great packs out there.

For evening shoes - I would take a pair of lightweight hiking sandals that can be used around town or to hike in if you need a break from your hiking shoes/boots. Don't need loafers. If you really want them then fine - but can you hike in your loafers if needed? And are they very lightweight? You decide. I wear hiking sandals with toe sock liners in the evenings.

Shoot for keeping your total baseweight to 15 pounds or less if possible. I know that Pacific Coastal Trail you probably carried a huge, heavy pack. Totally unnecessary for a Camino. Your body will thank you for lightening your load.
Thanks for this, already looking at 30l backpacks and light weight boots. I looked at some trail runners but they are just not for me. Im definitely bringing sandals for most evenings, i remember the camino shuffle all too well, but need loafers for some non camino dining plans.

For boots im looking at meindl or zamberlan, i like the somewhat classical look of both. For backpacks I've been looking at Abisko Friluft 35, Abisko Hike 35 or Singi 28 with two 5l extenders on the side. Both fit decent at the store today and i really liked the look.

Open to any suggestions of backpacks with similar style?

Any suggestions for sandals?

Last edited:
Thanks for this, already looking at 30l backpacks and light weight boots. I looked at some trail runners but they are just not for me. Im definitely bringing sandals for most evenings, i remember the camino shuffle all too well, but need loafers for some non camino dining plans.

For boots im looking at meindl or zamberlan, i like the somewhat classical look of both. For backpacks I've been looking at Abisko Friluft 35, Abisko Hike 35 or Singi 28 with two 5l extenders on the side. Both fit decent at the store today and i really liked the look.

Any suggestions for sandals?
Sounds like you know your footwear needs! For sandals - I prefer Tevas or Xero sandals (a minimalist shoe - no cushioning). I know a lot of people like Tevas or Chacos or Keens. I can't wear Keens myself (too narrow). Chacos are great because they have arch support - but the straps can be tedious sometimes and I am more prone to blisters in them as opposed to Tevas/Xero shoes. Another reason I like Tevas/Xero shoes is I can wear them in the shower. Yes - the straps will get wet - but the dry fast enough for me.

For the backpacks - I highly recommend trying them on with some weight added to them.

Regarding the 28L - I think most people would consider that to be a bit too small - but if you can pare down your gear then go for it! I used a 30L twice now for my Caminos and will go down to a 24L for my next Camino after getting my gear down to where it fills about half of my 30L. I still want room for snacks - but don't need a whole lot for the Camino since there are places to eat/buy food every day.

The other two look great. Just a matter of fit or weight. Personally since they are similar - if they both fit well - I would just go with the lighter of the two. Again - try them on with some weight in them if you can - make sure they fit well and the weight is not on your shoulders.

I'm not sure that a 30 liter backpack will be large enough for a 10-13kg load. I carry about 6.5 kg, and it fits well in a 36 liter pack. I've used the same gear in a 32 liter, and I felt like I was putting a puzzle together every morning to fit it in.

already looking at 30l backpacks and light weight boots. I looked at some trail runners but they are just not for me. Im definitely bringing sandals for most evenings, i remember the camino shuffle all too well, but need loafers for some non camino dining plans.
I agree with @trecile - I can't imagine a 30 L backpack accommodating men's sandals AND loafers, as well as the other stuff. Better to get a bigger pack rather than having things dangling.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I note the weights of your indicated packs range from around 1.4 kg to 1.7 kg.

This is around 25% of the all up weight (water etc included) of up to 7 kg mentioned by others in this thread.

My own conditioning from way back is to have a pack with a frame that keeps the pack clear of the back.

Some 8 years ago I discovered zPacks of Florida. My chosen model, Arc Blast has a 42 l main body capacity and a weight of under 600 grams. This continues in use (35 km in 23C on my Wednesday this week, over 6,000 km around the world) and will return with me to a European autumn later this year. zPacks have a wide range. But they are pricier than your indicated packs!? Plus airfreight?!

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, confident and patient)

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.