• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Graffiti in recently restored, Catedral de Santiago. Fachada de las platerias.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Stupid vandalism. A shame!

People doing this should be punished by having similar tatoo in their face for the rest of their lifetime. I do not think that they would consider this funny...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had heard that the Pórtico de la Gloria visits had been suspended, I wonder if this is why. Let’s hope that the renovations included installation of security cameras and that the perps are caught. A sad, but good reminder why the authorities are now hell bent on keeping pilgrims away from the treasures. If you thought the escapade to touch the Tree of Jesse was just harmless fun or meaningful self-indulgence, I guess we can all now see that there is a real reason for the restrictions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had heard that the Pórtico de la Gloria visits had been suspended, I wonder if this is why. Let’s hope that the renovations included installation of security cameras and that the perps are caught. A sad, but good reminder why the authorities are now hell bent on keeping pilgrims away from the treasures. If you thought the escapade to touch the tree of jessee was just harmless fun or meaningful self-indulgence, I guess we can all now see that there is a real reason to the restrictions.
They suspended the visits to portico de la gloria 3 days ago because of the Heat wave. (3rd of August)

Such wasteful destruction!
I will never understand graffiti. I am never just walking around with paint. Thats the strangest thing - that you have to plan it. The big spray painted graffiti on overpasses confuses the heck out of me.....buying the paint ( expensive where I live) climbing up or down embankments and then hanging at odd angles to get your message on????? Confounding to me!

Don't even get me started on defacing a CHURCH! It would seem to me that the karma on that might be a hefty bill t pay!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know people have commented on the graffiti on the distance markers elsewhere on this forum, but I really want to express my anger and confusion as to why anybody would do this. As spagirl says, who walks around, especially on a camino where every gram has to be considered and rejected if it's not absolutely necessary, with a can of paint or a permanent felt-tip marker pen? And to whoever wrote "Love Wins" on just about every post between Arzúa and Santiago: No it doesn't! Love didn't win the football world cup, and it doesn't stop your loved ones dying, no matter how much you love them. It's a stupid, stupid, STUPID thing to write. And to the idiot who wrote the 'profound' statement, "Don't regret the past, don't worry about the future, live in the present" on a couple of posts on an alternativo: I'd like to see you try to live in the past or to live in the future. I also appreciate the fact that "You can't fix stupid", but like someone else said, if nobody says how wrong this is, then it will just go on. I know the sort of person who writes graffiti probably will not be reading this forum, but maybe, somehow, the message will get back to them.

You would be surprised, what kind of people leave graffitis. It is not only thoughtless youngsters. I can still remember a visit to Rome with my colleagues (judges!) in 2005. The president of our court, by then a man close to his sixties, carried a felt-tip marker and signed his name on the copoule of St.-Peter. He thought it funny to let everybody know that "Peter .... was here too." I was shocked and ashamed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Small point of clarification: this was not on the Portico de Gloria (which is inside the Cathedral) but rather on the other side of the Cathedral and it was painted on the outside of the building. I passed by today and indeed it has been cleaned up with fancy lasers quite well.

Kudos to the reporter for taking the time (or for knowing off-hand) that the depiction is of Eric Singer; as of yet nobody has identified the subject of the sculpture itself.

I know people have commented on the graffiti on the distance markers elsewhere on this forum, but I really want to express my anger and confusion as to why anybody would do this. As spagirl says, who walks around, especially on a camino where every gram has to be considered and rejected if it's not absolutely necessary, with a can of paint or a permanent felt-tip marker pen? And to whoever wrote "Love Wins" on just about every post between Arzúa and Santiago: No it doesn't! Love didn't win the football world cup, and it doesn't stop your loved ones dying, no matter how much you love them. It's a stupid, stupid, STUPID thing to write. And to the idiot who wrote the 'profound' statement, "Don't regret the past, don't worry about the future, live in the present" on a couple of posts on an alternativo: I'd like to see you try to live in the past or to live in the future. I also appreciate the fact that "You can't fix stupid", but like someone else said, if nobody says how wrong this is, then it will just go on. I know the sort of person who writes graffiti probably will not be reading this forum, but maybe, somehow, the message will get back to them.

OMG Give me a million likes-button now

€149,-
May they take many lives to learn.
They obviously haven't learned yet.
But they might if there are cameras that caught the vandalism and they are found. This from the El Pais article (thanks to Google Translate):
The author of the graffiti is exposed to a penalty of between 6,000 and 150,000 euros, corresponding to an action that is qualified as "serious violation" in the Cultural Heritage Act, as explained by the Regional Minister of Culture who says that the law will be applied "with the greatest possible force."
A big fat fine and (dreaming here ) a penalty that involves removing grafitti from the Camino would be just the perfect karmic ticket.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
They obviously haven't learned yet.
But they might if there are cameras that caught the vandalism and they are found. This from the El Pais article (thanks to Google Translate):

A big fat fine and (dreaming here ) a penalty that involves removing grafitti from the Camino would be just the perfect karmic ticket.
I like this but I would also expose him/her for at least a week in front of what was done with notice that the people would understand.
I know it's harsh but you think this kind of thing would happen anytime soon in Santiago or anywhere else for that matter??? Don't believe so.

Just relax, fellow pilgrims: Karma works, and I am certain that it is rushing on its way to Spain right now to give payback for this crime.

Edit: "The author of the graffiti is exposed to a penalty of between 6,000 and 150,000 euros, corresponding to an action that is qualified as "serious violation" in the Cultural Heritage Act, as explained by the Regional Minister of Culture who says that the law will be applied "with the greatest possible force."

150.000 Euros sounds good to me. In addition to my private penalty that I wish to conduct, which I will not disclose, as my language would surely offend all minors in here...

Last edited:
I thought this kind of boredom only happened in very large metropolis's.

Poor saps. God forgive 'um cause they know not what they do.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are few things that cause instant anger in me. Please do not ask why it is one of my many shortcomings. However, this is one of them - I devolve into a very Old Testament kind of fellow that would comfortably chop the hands off of people that do this. I don't care what kind of graffiti it is, but if you paint it then you lose it.
I know I should feel more compassion, but in this instance, I fail utterly.

Last edited:
No forgiveness without repentance in my book. Some kind of serious penance required. I'm not talking religion here. With the right to live in a society comes responsibility, and this person seems to be without it entirely.

I'd banish them to somewhere remote, inhospitable, barren and lonely. Without internet.

Sadly, the person who did this probably thinks it was very funny and very clever and, "Oh, look! We even made the newspapers, hahahaha".

Makes me sick. I'm totally in the chop-off-the-hands camp.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sadly, the person who did this probably thinks it was very funny and very clever and, "Oh, look! We even made the newspapers, hahahaha".

Makes me sick. I'm totally in the chop-off-the-hands camp.

Please, no violence! Instead of chopping off the culprit’s hands, wouldn’t it be more appropriate to make him or her use them to clean up the graffiti on waymakers along a long section of the Camino?

€149,-
Not to worry, @Paladina. No one's hands are going to get chopped off. :) But no one is going to be punished by having to clean up all the graffiti along to Camino, either. :confused:

Not to worry, @Paladina. No one's hands are going to get chopped off. :) But no one is going to be punished by having to clean up all the graffiti along to Camino, either. :confused:

It’s a deterrent. The culprit may view it a punishment or a privilege. Either way, he or she is unlikely to repeat the offence and might even become a convert.

When asked what one needs to bring, I replly a felt tip pen often seems to be a requirement since so many pilgrims write all over everything with one.

I had heard that the Pórtico de la Gloria visits had been suspended, I wonder if this is why.
I do not think this is related. I think (I do not know) the temporary closure of the Portico was related to the heat... we had a few days of 37c heat... and with the front doors of the cathedral open, the heat comes in... we are back in the 20s today, and the lines on the Obradoiro was very long today, so it seems it is open again now

€149,-
I still feel so angry about this vandalism. Where have we as a society or in this generation failed to instill moral values, respect, tolerance, and even appreciation of art into our fellow human beings. I do not assume an age or gender of the perpetrator of this vile act. It really just beggars belief when we realise that the Cathedral has survived wars and hundreds of years of weather only for this damage to be inflicted by some mindless moran. Shocking! So sad.

The news of the senseless graffiti has been reported in The Evening Standard in London today ... why, oh why could anyone think that this is a cool thing to do? It’s not - it’s just stupid. Here’s the article -

3EACB561-D936-425D-B227-EB6FB5F02E6C.jpeg

Best wishes to all - Jenny

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last edited:

€149,-
Edit: "The author of the graffiti is exposed to a penalty of between 6,000 and 150,000 euros, .

What good is a big fine, when the mindless moron probably has no money and lives off the State anyway.

Put them in stocks in front of the cathedral for a week, with only bread and water...

I'm sorry, but I'm not in the camp of fines and 'rehabilitation' for criminals.
Severe 'punishment' is the only real deterrent IMO.

What good is a big fine, when the mindless moron probably has no money and lives off the State anyway.
Well, we don't know who it is - the person is as likely to be a dumb kid with a big attitude and an inability to consider the consequences of their actions.
I say let them clean up graffiti defacement on the Camino for a year.

Very right so,, the trouble is the know it all social workers who think they know it all, say the poor boy comes from a broken home,had a hard life etc etc, so have loads of other people,but they dont do things like that, i used to play the field a bit when younger,but would never dream of doing things like that, i would have got a good backhander,and it never hurt me, but we must not run the poor little boy down,,,he has had a hard life.

Hello. As a social worker myself I feel I must speak out. No, we professionals do not find excuses for people doing such things. We will stress out to them how important it is do the " good thing " and repay in any way possible what they did wrong! Being it in paying a hefty fine or doing some serious community work.
Even broken homes can provide a good education btw.

Also I met numerous rich kids from privileged backgrounds doing equally stupid things.

Very right so,, the trouble is the know it all social workers who think they know it all, say the poor boy comes from a broken home,had a hard life etc etc, so have loads of other people,but they dont do things like that, i used to play the field a bit when younger,but would never dream of doing things like that, i would have got a good backhander,and it never hurt me, but we must not run the poor little boy down,,,he has had a hard life.
He who is without sin can cast the first stone.;)

We are just venting - I don't think this thread is going anywhere really. We don't know who did it, and it is more likely that I will win the lottery than the perpetrator will read this forum. Let alone taking any notice of what we think.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We are just venting - I don't think this thread is going anywhere really. We don't know who did it, and it is more likely that I will win the lottery than the perpetrator will read this forum. Let alone taking any notice of what we think.

With all respect I do not see this as venting. I think in these cases it is always important to engage in a positive and constructive debate. Like the discussions here on the forum regarding picking up litter, respecting local culture, not setting fire to your clothes in Finisterre etc..etc...
I might be oldfashioned but I do believe in the educational value of a forum.

Last edited:
With all respect I do not see this as venting. I think in these cases it is always important to engage in a positive and constructive debate. Like the discussions here on the forum regarding picking up litter, respecting local culture, not setting fire to your clothes in Finisterre etc..etc...
I might be oldfashioned but I do believe in the educational value of a forum.
Hmmm, good point!

Surely, some restoration people will come in ASAP to clean this up, maybe with a toothbrush and paint thinner or a a tiny sandblaster used very carefully.?
Maybe it's already done? Anyone in Santiago - @ivar, @SYates, @natefaith, @JohnnieWalker?

We don't know who did it, and it is more likely that I will win the lottery than the perpetrator will read this forum.
This is very true, - whatever we are saying here about the graffiti itself is like an arrow shot into space. The people who were doing the defacement obviously won't be reading it.
But that misses the point that @SabineP was offering a gentle but firm response to someone here who was offering a toxic judgement about imaginary people who exist in the world of his ideas, not in reality. Hopefully that post will land, to be read and pondered with a pilgrim's eye.

Last edited:

€149,-
Hello. As a social worker myself I feel I must speak out. No, we professionals do not find excuses for people doing such things. We will stress out to them how important it is do the " good thing " and repay in any way possible what they did wrong! Being it in paying a hefty fine or doing some serious community work.
Even broken homes can provide a good education btw.

Also I met numerous rich kids from privileged backgrounds doing equally stupid things.
I was not running all social workers down just some of them and I agree with your comment and reply

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You did running all social workers down , when you don't mean that you have to write it in a other way.
It seems I have to again say sorry if I have offended any other social workers don't take it personal dear friends I know deep down you all do a good job

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back