• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Guide for the Coastal Route thru Vigo.

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
I have mentioned before in another thread that I walked with a girl from Oz and a young couples from Ireland and Germany. The Oz girl had a new guide she picked up in Porto at "the famous old bookstore"...I do not know what that may be.

I asked her by Facebook if she could send me the details..but she had loaned it to a friend.
She was able to send me a picture of the cover.

This is a simple and very good guide with the basic route and places to stay..both albergues and other options along this route.

This route stays on the coast all the way to Vigo and is next to the the sea virtually every day. Very well marked and a piece of cake to walk.

(The shell on the cover is printed (not attached). There is actually a hole in the cover...I can't remember if it goes all the way through the guide.)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just walked the coastal route and used this guide. Thank you @grayland for providing info about it earlier. The girl you walked with was probably referring to the bookstore "Lello" in Porto. I found it in the tourist office for 10 euros.

Title: The Portuguese Way to Santiago de Compostela. My Way.
Author: Sergio Fonseca
Printer: Norprint.pt
Email: info@objectoanonimo.com

The guide covers the Braga Way, Coast Way and Central Way. I walked the Coast Way as far as Vigo and then to Redondela. I was happy to have this guide and found it to be helpful for accomodation info and general info about each place along the way. However, it is a bit vague and in some cases misleading in terms of distances and route description. The maps are very sparse and do not provide great detail. I do think it's worth having as a supplement to any other route or map information you could also gather. Still trying to figure out what the hole through the book is for. Maybe to tie it to your belt?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree that there is little need for a guide for finding the way on this well marked route.
The value of this guide is finding accommodation along the way.

I suppose if you have another small, compact and current source of this information you would have no need for it.
We found it useful.

Yes, I also agree that the route is well marked and there is no problem finding your way, but on the camino that's not the information that I seek from a guide. As mentioned it's good to have accommodation information. I also like to have basic map and distance information which is useful for planning my daily stages. I like to know the names of the places I'm walking through, along with a little historical or local info about these places. This new guide was useful for adding more resourses to what I already had, which was good info from other forum members - most recently (thank you!) @Albertinho and @grayland.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just walked the coastal route and used this guide. Thank you @grayland for providing info about it earlier. The girl you walked with was probably referring to the bookstore "Lello" in Porto. I found it in the tourist office for 10 euros.

Title: The Portuguese Way to Santiago de Compostela. My Way.
Author: Sergio Fonseca
Printer: Norprint.pt
Email: info@objectoanonimo.com

The guide covers the Braga Way, Coast Way and Central Way. I walked the Coast Way as far as Vigo and then to Redondela. I was happy to have this guide and found it to be helpful for accomodation info and general info about each place along the way. However, it is a bit vague and in some cases misleading in terms of distances and route description. The maps are very sparse and do not provide great detail. I do think it's worth having as a supplement to any other route or map information you could also gather. Still trying to figure out what the hole through the book is for. Maybe to tie it to your belt?
Theatregal, where did you start in Portugal, how many stages and kilometres. We are interested in this route and just wondered if you give us some details. Thanks Maya

Hi @Mycamino Maya ,

I started in Porto. I had a wonderful lingering camino - taking longer than usual on this route. I gave myself time to stop in places that interested me and that I wanted to explore. I followed the coastal route to Vigo, then central to Redondela and Pontrevedra. From Pontrevedra, I followed the Variante Espiritual, connecting back to Padron on the central route to Santiago. My stages, distances and accomodation were:

Camino Portuguese Coastal

Stage 1: Porto to Perafita. 18 km (Pension Casa Velha)
Stage 2: Perefita to Vila do Conde. 16km (Bellamar Hostel)
Stage 3: Vila do Conde to Povoa de Varzim. 4km (Albergue de Peregrinos de S. Jose de Ribamar)
Stage 4: Povoa de Varzim to Marinhas. 25 km (Albergue de Peregrinos S. Miguel)
Stage 5: Marinhas to Viana de Castilo. 22 km (Apartmento Privado)
Stage 6: Viana de Castilo to Vila Praia de Ancora. 17 km (Apartmento Turistico)
Stage 7: Vila Praia de Ancora to Caminha. 12 km. (Hostel Casas dal Calcada)
Stage 8: Caminha to A Guarda. (Ferry) then 3 km. (Albergue da Guarda)
Stage 9: A Guarda to Oia. 14 km (Hotel)
Stage 10: Oia to Baiona. 18 km (Mosquito Hostel)
Stage 11: Baiona to Ramallosa. 6 km. (Albergue Pazo Pias)
Stage 12: Ramallosa to Vigo. 20 km (Hotel Ogalia)
Stage 13: Vigo to Redondela. 18 km (Albergue de Camino)
Stage 14: Redondela to Pontrevedra. 18 km (Albergue Aloxa)

Variant Espirtual

Stage 15: Pontrevedra to Armenteira. 21 km (Albergue de Peregrinos)
Stage 16: Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa. 23 km (Albergue de Peregrinos)
Stage 17: Vilanova de Arousa to Padron. 28 km (Hostel Flavia)

Camino Portuguese Central Way

Stage 18: Padron to Faramello. 10 km (Albergue del Peregrino)
Stage 19: Faramello to Santiago. 15 km. (Pension Anosa Casa)

Last edited:
I stopped at several of the same places but our stages were a bit different as I was walking with 30 year old fitness buffs. We walked fairly easily in 10 days (I think).
A couple of them were younger than some of my grandchildren. :cool:
Fortunately, I am able to match them in everything but racing up steep hills with packs on. I declined to participate along with the sensible girls.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @Mycamino Maya ,

I started in Porto. I had a wonderful lingering camino - taking longer than usual on this route. I gave myself time to stop in places that interested me and that I wanted to explore. I followed the coastal route to Vigo, then central to Redondela and Pontrevedra. From Pontrevedra, I followed the Variante Espiritual, connecting back to Padron on the central route to Santiago. My stages, distances and accomodation were:

Stage 3: Vila do Conde to Povoa de Varzim. 4km (Albergue de Peregrinos de S. Jose de Ribamar)

Variant Espirtual

Thank you. I bookmarked the stages.

Hi @Mycamino Maya ,

Variant Espirtual

Thanks... I'm planning to go on August. It would be my first and God willing, it won't be my last.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @Mycamino Maya ,

Variant Espirtual

Hello there. I want to do the same route as you did. According to your stages which I can see you have few stages are very short and sometimes you were staying in a hostel or pension or even hotel. I want to know what is the reason made you walking too short or staying in a hostel or hotel? I hope is not because of you could not find a Albergue or very bad conditions of the routes.

The ferry from Caminha to A Guarda is public services or private? It is regularly or random? Thank you very much!

Hello there. I want to do the same route as you did. According to your stages which I can see you have few stages are very short and sometimes you were staying in a hostel or pension or even hotel. I want to know what is the reason made you walking too short or staying in a hostel or hotel? I hope is not because of you could not find a Albergue or very bad conditions of the routes.

The ferry from Caminha to A Guarda is public services or private? It is regularly or random? Thank you very much!

Hi Jun Meng,

This is a beautiful camino. I gave myself lots of time on this walk because I wanted the option to stop in places that interested me and that I wanted to explore a bit more. That's the reason for some shorter stages. The accommodation is varied on this route. Some places didn't have albergues but I could always find reasonably priced alternatives. The conditions on the route were great - lovely weather during the time I walked with only a day or two of rain.

The ferry is a public service and at the time I walked, there were several sailings during the day. You could check this site for updates and sailing times:
http://telemarinas.com/horarios-de-invierno-del-ferry-que-une-a-guarda-con-caminha/

Bom Caminho!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, my friend wanted a copy of Brierley when she arrived in Porto earlier this year. We tried the bookstore on Santa Catarina, but they didn’t have it, so we went to Livraria Lello, which I've been to before. Unfortunately, now, you have to pay 3 euros entrance fee, which we didn’t want to pay if they didn’t have the book. (The entrance fee is refunded if you buy a book.) I asked the guy on the door if I could just check that they had the book. (The Portuguese are always so friendly and helpful!) They came back with, not Brierley, but Sergio Fonseca’s little book. It was all they had on guidebooks for the camino. My friend didn’t want to buy it, she wanted Brierley. I didn’t need it (I had Brierley), but I decided to buy it anyway (10 euros). If you have absolutely nothing else, it’s a handy little guidebook for distances, albergues and a few restaurant recommendations. Points of interest are listed, but there are no details, and the maps are useless, just a line on the page with dots for the villages and towns. I kept it only as a souvenir, as I love books. Jill

Lello' s Livroria in Porto is one of the most famous bookstores in the world .
It is one of Portugal's cultural and touristical landmarks . It attracts hundreds of thousands people every year. The interior is gorgeous and worth paying 3€ for an entry fee and as you said you get thes 3€ refunded if you buy something.
One of my favourite spots by visiting Porto every year again.

In Lisbon is a similar bookstore nearby the Rossio station, Bertrand, the oldest in the world they say in a beatufull building.

Last edited:
In my opinion nothing is wrong with the Brierley guide.

Hi, you need to read my post again ;). I was talking about the new guide book (as per the original post), not Brierley. And, as I mentioned in my post, I have been to Livraria Lello before, actually twice before. Jill

Hi Jun Meng,

This is a beautiful camino. I gave myself lots of time on this walk because I wanted the option to stop in places that interested me and that I wanted to explore a bit more. That's the reason for some shorter stages. The accommodation is varied on this route. Some places didn't have albergues but I could always find reasonably priced alternatives. The conditions on the route were great - lovely weather during the time I walked with only a day or two of rain.

The ferry is a public service and at the time I walked, there were several sailings during the day. You could check this site for updates and sailing times:
http://telemarinas.com/horarios-de-invierno-del-ferry-que-une-a-guarda-con-caminha/

Bom Caminho!
HI @Theatregal ! Thanks a lot! Actrually I can do this in 8 days but why would I do that? This is the first thought in my mind when I decided to do this route. It suppose be relax and casual and random and fun!!

Anyway...thanks again!!

Buen Camino!!

....SNIP...

Bom Caminho!

I might add that weather can affect the ferry schedule.
Fog shut down the sailings for a day when I was there.
We shared a taxi that took us miles to the east and across a bridge then back along the other side to the point where the ferry would have landed.
We were told that weather stops are not uncommon.
There was some talk of local boaters would take people across for a fee...but we saw no sign of this.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I might add that weather can affect the ferry schedule.
Fog shut down the sailings for a day when I was there.
We shared a taxi that took us miles to the east and across a bridge then back along the other side to the point where the ferry would have landed.
We were told that weather stops are not uncommon.
There was some talk of local boaters would take people across for a fee...but we saw no sign of this.
Ahhhh...you are so kind. Thank you so much for the further informations. Since this is my the third Camino I am not anxious or scared anymore. I have enough days and will survive anyway...hopefully!!! BTW...do you think I can leave my sticks in home? They are very useful when I walking the Via de la plata this year. But on this route seems not necessarily needed. What do you think??

Hi, you need to read my post again ;). I was talking about the new guide book (as per the original post), not Brierley. And, as I mentioned in my post, I have been to Livraria Lello before, actually twice before. Jill
Yes you are right...my humble apologies. I edited the post .

Ahhhh...you are so kind. Thank you so much for the further informations. Since this is my the third Camino I am not anxious or scared anymore. I have enough days and will survive anyway...hopefully!!! BTW...do you think I can leave my sticks in home? They are very useful when I walking the Via de la plata this year. But on this route seems not necessarily needed. What do you think??
hmmm yes you could need them. Between Redondela and Pontevedra are some nasty steep descending and some ascending hills

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Jun Meng,

Bom Caminho!
You allways can ask for Mario o Pescador if the ferry is not sailing due to the low tide.
Pedro sets you over to the other side for 5 € person.
Everybody knows him in Caminha.
Alternative is to walk inland direction Valença do Minho and at Vila Nova de Cerveira
Walk over the bridge and head for A Guarda and continue the coastal to Oia/Mougas Baiona and Vigo. A detour of 26 kms.

See my vid from 2:00 minutes

Last edited:
I take my sticks with me every year as they are carbon Z-poles and very light and short. I take them inside my pack and carry on. I have never been stopped so it has been simple.
I only use my poles on hills so they were used very little on the Coastal Route.
There are a few hills but not really anything serious.
You can probably get by without them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola
I am going to do the camino portugese next month and, as I have family in Vigo I want to go thru Vigo so want to go this route:
Ponte de Lima, Rubies, Tui, VIGO, Redondela, Pontevedra,Caldas de Reis, PadrĂ´n and Santiago.

So a mix of the Central Camino and the Coastal camino....
Does anyone knows about a route from Tui to VIGO?
tanks
Alejandro

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back