Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New guide in English.

Ribeirasacra

Time of past OR future Camino
the highway
I do feel sorry for all of you who have put hard work into the free guide covering this route.
The local newspaper reports that Aida Menéndez, is now claiming she has published the first guide in English, and she had money from the Xunta de Galicia to write it.
The guide costs a hefty 25€.
The news about this can be read in Spanish here.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Qué vergüenza! And asking €25.00!!!

I read the entire article. The woman had a professional translator do the work which was financed by the Xunta as the poor woman (my words) did the original work in Castillano with funds from her own pocket.

@peregrina2000 and many forum members have worked on an English guide and its updates over the past several years and this woman has the audacity to claim that it is the first English guide to the Invierno. Shame on her!

Excuse the tone of this post but this pisses me off.

Reb - @Rebekah Scott maybe you know someone (José de la Riera?) who can inform authorities on this "alternative fact".

Well, let's not be too harsh on this woman. She is the president of one of the associations and was always mentioned in the press as a tireless defender and supporter of the Invierno as the battle for recognition went on and on and on. And it's not like she had any way to know about our little pdf on the web, either. But I DO think 25 euros is a pretty hefty price!

Thans for the heads up, Ian.

p.s. I had also heard that Asún's association was going to translate their guide into English, so we will now have a battle of the guidebooks I guess. From famine to feast.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with Laurie. The more Guides the better because the Camino needs some help if it us going to attract more pilgrims in the future....The Camino Guide is a free resource...Aida's has alot of good content...Asun's Guide can sell because it's only 13€ and has the best maps for each stage...Without good maps a Guide has its limits especially at 25€.

Last edited:
I agree with Laurie. The more Guides the better because the Camino needs some help if it us going to attract more pilgrims in the future....The Camino Guide is a free resource...Aida's has alot of good content...Asun's Guide can sell because it's only 13€ and has the best maps for each stage...Without good maps a Guide has its limits especially at 25€.

Any updates on the expected publication of Asún's guide in English?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
p.s. I had also heard that Asún's association was going to translate their guide into English, so we will now have a battle of the guidebooks I guess. From famine to feast.
But hopefully for the interest of the way itself!!!

Do you have any link how it looks?
The Aida's one I mean.

I was tying to be diplomatic when I posted this.
But I too am aggrieved to hear that this is the "first" guide in English.
Do pilgrims use maps these days or smart phones with GPS?
Translation is very important. Tourism Galicia, Recently republished their website. The English on it is very poor. If that sets the standard then they just should not use English at all.
Question for Mark, My Destination. Did you have any input to this guide?

Translation is very important. Tourism Galicia, Recently republished their website. The English on it is very poor. If that sets the standard then they just should not use English at all.
I was being serious when I wrote yesterday that I would proof-read what this 'professional translator' had come up with!

No I have had no involvement or input into Aida's Guide. I will be helping Asun though so I will be calling ours The Winter Way...

No I have had no involvement or input into Aida's Guide. I will be helping Asun though so I will be calling ours The Winter Way...
I've always thought that The Winter Way could, in fact, be quite misleading to many people who know nothing or little about this Camino. I know where the term Camino/Camiño de Invierno comes from, but I've often wondered what success it would have if it were called Camino/Camiño de Valdeorras, Sil or Miño!

thanks for the clarification. But it seems you are too late to do any translation if you read the newspaper article.
I am never ever going to be a pilgrim, but for me a Camino is just that a route to Santiago. I do not know why a Camino should be metamorphosed into English.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree @Ribeirasacra, I never understood why names are translated. The Vía de la Plata, the Levante, the Mozárabe, the Vía Augusta, etc maintain their proper names don't they? It's the Invierno not the Winter Way. Ok I guess that I am complaining again :eek:.
And you're doing that in very amusing way!!! :D

The guide was officially launched yesterday, 24th January.
Two Twitters about the evening.
Via Romana
Librería Celia
Nope, we could not make it.
Yes the title has been Anglicized. I really hate that. Just like calling Empanada "pie":::Churrasco "barbecue" ::: Grelos "turnip tops"

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can also download a guide based on donation in CSJ http://www.csj.org.uk/planning-your-pilgrimage/routes-to-santiago/the-route-in-portugal/ written by Pelegrina 2000 (Laurie) updated with the help of some pilgrims and other friends of the caminho to Santiago, and the work stills on with ideas out of box.
May I ask how many of you have read it? And what you think about it?
Bom Caminho to you all
Mario
P.S. The full document here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/short-stages-from-lisbon-to-porto.133/

Last edited:
By way of the final update Asun's Association "Amigos do Camiño de Santiago por Valdeorras" finally published in late Summer the fifth edition in spanish of their excellent guidebook of the Winter Way together with the English version (a second edition will be coming out in future as the print run is limited). See link http://caminodeinvierno.es/. I won't comment as to who has published the best Guide or whether a pilgrim should have a guidebook on them or not..that's for each pilgrim to decide for themselves. As for Asun (she appreciates the interest ) she's really busy now caring for a mother and is in fact looking for someone to succeed her as President.

By way of the final update Asun's Association "Amigos do Camiño de Santiago por Valdeorras" finally published in late Summer the fifth edition in spanish of their excellent guidebook of the Winter Way together with the English version (a second edition will be coming out in future as the print run is limited). See link http://caminodeinvierno.es/. I won't comment as to who has published the best Guide or whether a pilgrim should have a guidebook on them or not..that's for each pilgrim to decide for themselves. As for Asun (she appreciates the interest ) she's really busy now caring for a mother and is in fact looking for someone to succeed her as President.
If I didn't live quite so far away from A Rua I would be really interested in taking on the role. Commuting from Salamanca to Valdeorras is not really an option, though!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back