• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Guidebook to the Norte/Primitivo/Ingles

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know that, at long last, a book that my partner and I have been working on for a couple of years is nearing its release. It's called The Northern Caminos: Norte, Primitivo, and Ingles and will be published by Cicerone Books (which has previously published a number of pilgrimage guidebooks by Alison Raju).

You can find the page devoted to it at Cicerone here: http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/681/title/the-northern-caminos.

I walked my first Camino in 2002 (the Frances) and have since returned many times with groups of my students (I'm a high school teacher). Eventually, I branched out to the Norte and Primitivo. After a couple of years of walking that, I realized that I had fairly extensive notes on the route, but that little had actually been published in English about it.

I hope that many people find the book to be useful. If you have any questions about it, I'm happy to field them here.

Regards,
Dave

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good to know that there will be another book published (the Spanish Tourist Board do publish a free one that is OK). Having looked at the blurb on the web site you linked I hope it is not a wordy as it looks! I walked the Francis last year and used the ‘simple’ version of the John Brierley book that I found to be excellent. I walked the Norte this Sept/Oct using the Spanish tourist guide that was OK although some info on changed routes and new or closed Albergues was missing. For me the ideal book would just have a page for each proposed stage that includes distance and height info as well as some contour markings completed with accommodation locations and info (Albergues as well as 1*/2* Hostels etc). In fact much like the Brierley book! Much else is just extra weight and superfluous information. I took the Confraternity of St James books as well but threw them away after a week as they have virtually no maps and therefore would need to be read constantly along the route whereas I prefer to look at where I am walking.

Congratulations, and thank you for all your hard work. Good to see a new face in the guidebook-writing panoply.

Just brace yourself for all the "kind suggestions" from everyone who has ever used one!

Rebekah

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks. I've been considering walking the Norte. Will definitely buy a copy when it's available.

Thanks, all. MikeIan, I think there are probably more words in it than your ideal. But, the good news--you can buy it as an ebook!

In truth, the maps take up the most space, but I (in my totally unbiased opinion) think they're pretty slick. I hope people find it useful.

Rebekah--I have fond memories of Moratinos from my first Camino, in 2002. I was walking 40km to Sahagun, farther than I had ever walked before. I remember staggering into Moratinos, which wasn't mentioned in the CSJ guide. There was a bench in the town square and a vending machine with cold drinks. Rarely has one been so grateful for a Lemon Fanta. As I sat, the square was suddenly flooded with a horde of sheep, which came storming through. A moment later and they were gone, with only a trail of droppings to indicate their brief visit. A good day...

Good to hear it will be an ebook so I will definitely have a look when it comes out. Having walked the Norte this year I would like to go back and walk the Primitivo section next year. However, 2 weeks after returning from my camino I found out i need to have my right hip replaced!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well done Dave! I am working on a Camino app for the iPhone and know how much work it is.

Dave said:
Thanks, all. MikeIan, I think there are probably more words in it than your ideal. But, the good news--you can buy it as an ebook!

Okay, I hate to sound like an idiot, but I am usually pretty "tech" savvy, but I can't find any option to get this as an ebook? How/Where??

Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
MikeIan said:
I understand that the eBook will be available later. Not sure why.

Mike,
I won't be leaving til later in the year and would love to get this in an ebook. Can you please keep us updated on when it will be available in e-format please? Thank you.

Hi all,

Word from Cicerone is that the ebook will be available in a few months. So, if you're planning a summer pilgrimage, it will be available in plenty of time. Sorry it's not sooner, though.

Dave

My copy arrived today and first impressions are very favourable. The book is not as bulky or as heavy as I expected and I will take it with me on the Primitivo if the eBook is not available by mid-May.

The writing is concise, the maps excellent, as are the photographs, and it appears to have sufficient en route info to allow the planning of shorter stages, for those like myself who would find some of Dave and Laura's stages just a bit too ambitious.

The first time pilgrim will find the general advice and background info very useful.

Liam

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Dave,
I pre-ordered your book on Amazon and just was noticed that they still do not have the book in stock I leave May 28th from the US and want to get your advice on best way to order the book in time for my trip.

Many thanks,
Bobbie
Sedona, Arizona

Dave said:
Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know that, at long last, a book that my partner and I have been working on for a couple of years is nearing its release. It's called The Northern Caminos: Norte, Primitivo, and Ingles and will be published by Cicerone Books (which has previously published a number of pilgrimage guidebooks by Alison Raju).

I went through Amazon and clicked the listing of new and used books. There they have new ones from Superbookdeals. I ordered mine and it is in transit now. They say it will arrive between the 8-23 of May. The price was 15.72 I think and 3.99 for shipping. I can't wait to get it in the mail!

Thanks for the help!
When are you walking the Norte? Getting excited I leave in 25 days!

Bobbie

travelingteacher said:
I went through Amazon and clicked the listing of new and used books. There they have new ones from Superbookdeals. I ordered mine and it is in transit now. They say it will arrive between the 8-23 of May. The price was 15.72 I think and 3.99 for shipping. I can't wait to get it in the mail!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi All,

I am planning on starting from Irun around June 7th. Hope to see some of you there!

Ocean Tom

I was so grateful to learn about your book. It's the first book in English I've been able to find about the northern route. As I am traveling alone and have no sense of direction, this book has eased my anxiety . Thank you!!
I ordered it from England and received it within 10 days or so

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post a quick update for those in the US. Word from Cicerone is that the initial shipment of books to Amazon US was immediately consumed by pre-orders. While the site still says that the title has not been released, it's actually out of stock. Cicerone is going to ship another order over. The Kindle edition is pending, but it has been marked as a priority. We had hoped it would be available by now, but so it goes.

For those hoping to acquire a copy, you can order it right now directly from Cicerone, from the CSJ bookstore, and plenty of other online options. I also noticed on Amazon US that there are some new/used copies available.

My apologies for the delay,
Dave
http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detai ... rn-caminos

Dave:
I had a pre-order for your book through Amazon USA for a couple of months but just now canceled it. Since I leave shortly for Madrid, and knowing that even with two-day shipping It would not arrive before I left, I ordered it via Amazon UK for almost exactly twice the cost of what it was going to pay for it in the US.

I had Amazon UK ship it to a relative's address in Madrid and I will collect it there before I head of for Irun and the Camino del Norte..

Dave, Cicerone has a serious distribution problem. have you considered changing publishers?

Thank you for your great book... I'm on the ferry to Santander to do our final section.. with your book in my hand. It looks excellent, thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dear Dave,
Do I have a chance to have ebook? I am going to start Del Norte next week.
Thank you,
Kat

Kat,

I've been told that the book is being formatted for Kindle now and that it should be available by month's end. I have sometimes been guilty of being overly optimistic on these sorts of things, so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm afraid that it probably won't be ready for the beginning of your walk. But, keep an eye on Amazon, as it will pop up there when finished. If I'm online at that point, I'll send you a message. (I like you, I head out soon, flying to France next Wednesday to walk from Le Puy.)

I'm sorry it won't be ready for the start of your walk.

Dave

Hi everyone,

You can find the page devoted to it at Cicerone here: http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/681/title/the-northern-caminos.

I walked my first Camino in 2002 (the Frances) and have since returned many times with groups of my students (I'm a high school teacher). Eventually, I branched out to the Norte and Primitivo. After a couple of years of walking that, I realized that I had fairly extensive notes on the route, but that little had actually been published in English about it.

I hope that many people find the book to be useful. If you have any questions about it, I'm happy to field them here.

Regards,
Dave

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
did you meet anyone walking from Santiago towards Irun??
Do you think it would be easy to follow the waymarks in reverse?I plan to walk Via de la Plata to Santiago then keep going on north route if I have time left till my plane home

Kat,

I've been told that the book is being formatted for Kindle now and that it should be available by month's end. I have sometimes been guilty of being overly optimistic on these sorts of things, so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm afraid that it probably won't be ready for the beginning of your walk. But, keep an eye on Amazon, as it will pop up there when finished. If I'm online at that point, I'll send you a message. (I like you, I head out soon, flying to France next Wednesday to walk from Le Puy.)

I'm sorry it won't be ready for the start of your walk.

Dave

As I have more than a year to start my Camino Ingles ( did Frances from SJPP to Santiago 4 months ago) I will wait till I can order the e version for my Kindle. Thanks for the hard work Dave. You're helping a lot of Pilgrims.

did you meet anyone walking from Santiago towards Irun??
Do you think it would be easy to follow the waymarks in reverse?I plan to walk Via de la Plata to Santiago then keep going on north route if I have time left till my plane home

I would catch a bus to a stop on the Norte then walk towards Santiago again. Walking backwards the signs can be difficult find, and every night you stay in a new hostel you meet new people and then they go a different direction than you. No chance for making anymore Camino friendships walking backwards.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.