• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Guy want to try PORTO-LISBON

Ballanti Fabio

Time of past OR future Camino
July/August 2018 Camino Portugues
Hi everybody :)

My name is Fabio from Luxemburg, 24years old.
I've never been in a Forum before, so maybe i am in the wrong place here, so i already ask for sorry ^^

I want to give me the challange to walk the Camino Portugues. I am alone and hope to meet alot of people there. But i've seen that the camino portugues goes the other way i want to go. I want to walk from Porto to Lisbon, i have family in Lisbon so i wanted to end my trip there.
Now to my Question, how difficult is it to do the other way form the camino (like marks the show you the road or if there are any marks from Porto to Lisbon, etc) ? And maybe someone already done this way so maybe he can share his experience.
And also want to ask if a lot of people do the way Porto-Lisbon or they all do the oter way to santiago.

Thanks to reply.
Best regards,

Ballanti Faio

P.S: I am sorry for my english :(

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Pope came to Fatima in 2017 so lots of blue Fatima signs from Lisbon to near Tomar and the turn off.
Most Fatima walkers tended to follow the main road and the crowds in the week or so before the visit would have swept you along.
May and October are the peak visiting months in Fatima. Suggest you look up My Lady of Fatima.
If in the event of missing your trail on the rest of your travels , as they say in the Punch and Judy shows- "Look out behind you"! Blue and yellow marks show where you came from.
There are many long, simple and obvious tracks so enjoy.

Thanks @hughwilliams i have checked a lot since i post this message. But i dont really know if i want to go trough Fatima, i've found a trail who goes along the sea, now i dont know if it's boring to see all the time the sea...(Porto, Aveiro, Figueira da foz, Sao pedro de moel, Nazaré, Peniche, Ericeira, Sintra, Cascais, Lisboa) This is the way i've found and who seems good. Now i hope someone can confirm it :p if not maybe another good road will be propose from a person.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Pope came to Fatima in 2017 so lots of blue Fatima signs from Lisbon to near Tomar and the turn off.
Most Fatima walkers tended to follow the main road and the crowds in the week or so before the visit would have swept you along.
May and October are the peak visiting months in Fatima. Suggest you look up My Lady of Fatima.
If in the event of missing your trail on the rest of your travels , as they say in the Punch and Judy shows- "Look out behind you"! Blue and yellow marks show where you came from.
There are many long, simple and obvious tracks so enjoy.
I love the picture in the advice "look behind you": maybe a mirror on a stick with a suction pad on your forehead will help you to see behind you!!!! Wishing you a great walk, although you will be passing other pilgrims, you should certainly find some in the albergues.

Haha yeah or maybe i just walk backwards the whole Trail :p No but thanks for the advice. I will make the Trip on July/Agust maybe other people see this Post and maybe someone want to join. I can speak Portuguese very well so i dont think i will have problems to find the road or also a place to sleep. It will be my first time i will do something like this, so just wanted to know some advices that's all :)
best regards,
Fabio

Welcome to the forum Fabio!
I did this trip in reverse on my way to Santiago in June and met 3 people walking south to Lisboa.
I remember meeting a lady from Croatia (Nani) who was using a normal guidebook, but reading in reverse order.
Didn't walk the coastal route myself, so I suggest the following 14 day route.
- Porto
- Sao Joao de Madeira
- Albergarie a Velha
- Agueda
- Mealhada
- Coimbra
- Rabacal
- Alvaiazere
- Tomar
- Golega
- Santarem
- Azambuja
- Alverca
- Lisboa

You'll meet loads of people (but they'll be walking the wrong way) :D
The fact that you speak Portuguese will make it even more enjoyable - have a blast!

Bom Caminho
Davie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome to the forum Fabio!
I did this trip in reverse on my way to Santiago in June and met 3 people walking south to Lisboa.
I remember meeting a lady from Croatia (Nani) who was using a normal guidebook, but reading in reverse order.
Didn't walk the coastal route myself, so I suggest the following 14 day route.
- Porto
- Sao Joao de Madeira
- Albergarie a Velha
- Agueda
- Mealhada
- Coimbra
- Rabacal
- Alvaiazere
- Tomar
- Golega
- Santarem
- Azambuja
- Alverca
- Lisboa

You'll meet loads of people (but they'll be walking the wrong way) :D
The fact that you speak Portuguese will make it even more enjoyable - have a blast!

Bom Caminho
Davie

Hey Davie,
Thanks alot to give me the 14 checkpoints for the trip. It helps me alot because now i find a lot more possibilities with the road you have propose and i think it's really the best one. I also saw an alternative to pass trough Fatima like @hughwilliams propose me :)
Yeah i already read about it that the most people walk the way up to Porto/Santiago but maybe i have luck and someone want to do the same road as me :)

Thank you all and hope that other people want to message here :)

Just for info: My Camino will normaly be in July/Agust 2018.

Bom Caminho to everyone!!

Just make sure that you have some kind of GPS with you - even walking the right way, it's easy to miss your way on the Portuguese Camino!

(Lovely to see there are pilgrims in Luxembourg - I'm there for work a few times a year, and have found the signposted pilgrim path that passes the Abbey in lower Luxembourg centre, but I've never seen a pilgrim there.)

Just make sure that you have some kind of GPS with you - even walking the right way, it's easy to miss your way on the Portuguese Camino!

(Lovely to see there are pilgrims in Luxembourg - I'm there for work a few times a year, and have found the signposted pilgrim path that passes the Abbey in lower Luxembourg centre, but I've never seen a pilgrim there.)

Hy Heidi,
I will also take a kind of GPS for sure! I've already read that it's easy to miss the way of the Portuguese Camino and i will walk it the other way from Porto to Lissabon (that make the trail not easier :p)
Oh yes of course we have a Pilgrim way here in Luxemburg, i've never done it but if there are People who want to do it i will go with!!
I give you the link if one day you decide to come to Luxemburg ( not for the work ;) ) Here it is : http://map.geoportail.lu/theme/tour...r&layers=235&opacities=1&bgLayer=topo_bw_jpeg

Thank you,

Best regard.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hy Heidi,
I will also take a kind of GPS for sure! I've already read that it's easy to miss the way of the Portuguese Camino and i will walk it the other way from Porto to Lissabon (that make the trail not easier :p)
Oh yes of course we have a Pilgrim way here in Luxemburg, i've never done it but if there are People who want to do it i will go with!!
I give you the link if one day you decide to come to Luxemburg ( not for the work ;) ) Here it is : http://map.geoportail.lu/theme/tour...r&layers=235&opacities=1&bgLayer=topo_bw_jpeg

Thank you,

Best regard.
2018 I will cycle from Lisbon - Porto - Vigo - coastal route then to traditional inland route, on my Mezzo 9 folding bike. "very small wheels".
Use the EuroVelo 1 route maps taken from www.eurovelo com/en/eurovelos/eurovelo 1 /countries/ Portugal .
It starts in the Algarve but Section 9 starts in Lisbon, Porto is at the end of section 16 while 18 reaches the ferry at Caminha.
O'Luis do Freixo has great sets of coastal maps that suit wheelchairs, walkers and cyclists, the detail is very good.
For this information http://www.caminador.es/?page_id=117 Reverse walking? just keep the water on the right hand side!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back