• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New here! Hoping to ask some questions! :)

Shannon

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June (2014)
Hi there! I have been "lurking" and reading here for a couple of months. This board is an amazing, valuable tool! Thank you all for that.

I'm hoping that it isn't too much of a bother if anyone has any insight on a few questions I have. I have tried to find info on here on my own, (and very well could have missed answers to these questions as I'm not a pro with this forum as of yet!!)

My mom, 11 year old daughter and I will be walking the camino in June - July 2014. We expect to arrive around June 10.

As of this point, we are planning to fly into Madrid. I'm wondering if this is the best option?? We are coming from Canada. From my understanding, we can then take a train from Madrid to Pamplona and possibly a cab to SJPP? Is this correct? From other experiences, would a flight to Paris be better?

Also, with travelling with an 11 year old (actually she will have just turned 12) we may try for a private room at an albergue or hotel or (beds that you can rent in homes - am I correct that they have these?) but on the chance that we do stay in an albergue, how is it for children? Appropriate? And, I know that she wants to sleep with me, even in a single bed. Would that be an option?

I am assuming that the weather should be fairly hot come this time. Am I correct?

Does anyone else plan on bringing their children along at this time? From my understanding, children do walk the camino, but not too many :)

Thank you in advance for anyone willing to take the time to respond!!

Shannon

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Busybee traveled with her daughter, so she could give you good information. http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/members/busybee.14395/
Send her a Conversation.

Your guesses are pretty accurate. Albergues are OK for children with the usual cautions. Try for neighboring bunks unless you really want to be on the same mattress.

It will be hot at times, though cold is possible at the higher elevations.

There are buses from the Madrid airport to Pamplona, and buses and trains from downtown Madrid. It is a lot more work to get to SJPdP from Paris, though the easiest travel would be a plane to Pamplona rather than Madrid.

Falcon, I appreciate your response! I will look into flights into Pamplona as well.

I will also send a message to busybee! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Shannon, how wonderful that you will be walking with your mom and daughter.
My hubby & I will be walking with our daughter too, but she is 30...we plan to fly from the states into Paris then catch a short flight to Biarritz, stay a night then take the first train out to SJPP (from Bayonne which is practically the same city). I first looked into flying into madrid then pamplona but found it was going to take much longer and cost more. However, we are traveling there end of March so it may all be different for you in June plus, we will be arriving in Paris on a Friday so if you travel earlier in the week you may have more options. Happy planning and Buen Camino!!
Blessings

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi there! I have been "lurking" and reading here for a couple of months. This board is an amazing, valuable tool! Thank you all for that.

I'm hoping that it isn't too much of a bother if anyone has any insight on a few questions I have. I have tried to find info on here on my own, (and very well could have missed answers to these questions as I'm not a pro with this forum as of yet!!)

My mom, 11 year old daughter and I will be walking the camino in June - July 2014. We expect to arrive around June 10.

As of this point, we are planning to fly into Madrid. I'm wondering if this is the best option?? We are coming from Canada. From my understanding, we can then take a train from Madrid to Pamplona and possibly a cab to SJPP? Is this correct? From other experiences, would a flight to Paris be better?

Also, with travelling with an 11 year old (actually she will have just turned 12) we may try for a private room at an albergue or hotel or (beds that you can rent in homes - am I correct that they have these?) but on the chance that we do stay in an albergue, how is it for children? Appropriate? And, I know that she wants to sleep with me, even in a single bed. Would that be an option?

I am assuming that the weather should be fairly hot come this time. Am I correct?

Does anyone else plan on bringing their children along at this time? From my understanding, children do walk the camino, but not too many :)

Thank you in advance for anyone willing to take the time to respond!!

Shannon

Hi Shannon,
I would say that walking with a 12 year old is very do able, it has been done...but I would prepare her well based on your research of what is instore.
A wonderful mama walked with two of her daughters...every step...in March last year and they were I think ages 8 and 10 with a lot of backpack experience.
With that said I am taking three of my kids in the Fall with me to do Le Puy to Finesterre they will be 15,13,11 and another who is BEGGING to join us who will be 9 (she just walked 10 miles with me and was a champ so I might take her). We will stay in auberges UNLESS I find that staying in some hotels might actually be cheaper by renting out a room. I do not know of any private homes that rent out rooms, if you get a response on that I would be interested.

Prepare your daughter well, teach her her foot care...to appreciate the time needed to take care of those feet, to salve them etc...
Prepare her that she MIGHT see men, women in underwear...a towel might slip from someone somewhere etc... and just prepare her as this coud happen.
I feel 100% confortable with any of my six children being in an auberge, underwear or even a slipped towel...it is life...
I assume even if your daughter sleeps with you that they will charge you for her bed, my assumption.

What a wonderful trip the three of you have ahead of you!
I too arrive in Paris at the end of march for another solo Camino...I don't arrive on a Friday so it sounds like it won't be the same flight. My last and future Caminos will also be a Paris arrival I think.

Buen Camino!

I am also coming from Canada and up to now the only way to get a direct non-stop flight is going to Paris and after by train to St-Jean. Otherwise I am looking at multiple transfers and a 15 to 22 hour plane trip. To late for me since I am leaving in April, but you might also be able to get an Air Transat flight to Bordeaux in June and from there a short couple of hours train trip to St-Jean.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have walked all over the world with my kids when they were that age. They can do an amazing number of kilometers in one day but it will take them some time to regain their strength and do it again so allow yourselves plenty of time! Better shorter stages and more days on the Camino-always a good idea.. If you can, do reserve from day to day even more ahead of time over weekends when in addition to the many pilgrims more people are out (the dreaded tourigrinos!). SJPP to Roncesvalles can be a rough road-and not because of the climb or the distance. First day out you will be very excited, meeting many new people, amazed at the view perhaps overwhelmed by bad weather, your backpack probably not yet sit "just right", you will worry about blisters, all making it hard to focus and hit your usual rhythm. Do consider stopping at Orrison-an amazingly long 3 kilometers due to the reasons mentioned above. It is however a very popular place! Do make a reservation through the internet well ahead of time and then call Jean-Jacques from home just before you leave to confirm-he is a very busy man and you don't need more surprises!

As of this point, we are planning to fly into Madrid. I'm wondering if this is the best option?? We are coming from Canada. From my understanding, we can then take a train from Madrid to Pamplona and possibly a cab to SJPP? Is this correct? From other experiences, would a flight to Paris be better?......
Shannon
Hi Shannon,
Madrid is definitely NOT the best place to get fly to unless you happen to want to spend time there. I'm also Canadian (west coast). I've tried different routes but the easiest is the following for me depending on what the airlines are offering: Vancouver to London - direct flight, a wait in London airport, London to Biarritz on the same day arriving fairly late (about 10:30pm). I stay 2 nights in Biarritz to help with jetlag. There are lots of decent two-star hotels in the historic part of town as well as 2 great youths hostels(one is very close to the train station). The day in Biarritz I walk around a lot (including up to the train station) to find out what time the trains go to SJPP. There are several a day and it's about an hour and a half trip with a change at Bayonne. The day in Biarritz helps me to get used to the 9 hour time change and stretch my legs after a day of sitting on planes. (Incidentally - expect to communicate in French in Biarritz unless you speak the Basque language). Then on the second day I walk up to the train station and catch a fairly early train to SJPP, go to the pilgrims' office and check how the mountain is (I usually walk in the early spring), get my credencial, buy some dried fruit & nuts, and walk up to Orisson that day. That's only about 8 or 9 km up but it feels like straight up at that point and takes a nice chunk off the following day over to Roncesvalles.
If you prefer to fly to Paris (sometimes we can get a direct flight) you can get a train from there to SJPP. Other posts on the forum will tell you how to do that. Hope this pov is helpful.
Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Shannon, can't comment on the travelling arrangements but this picture of a Hungarian family who I met in 2012 might help offer a little reassurance, they started from Leon and were about 250 kms into their Camino when we met, the daughter was about 12 years old and the baby about 18 months old. A regular poster: Kiwi-family have done something similar to what you intend and have blogged about it so they might be able to set your mind at ease with some of your concerns.http://blogs.bootsnall.com/kiwifamily/

An American mother and her 2 young daughters did a winter time Camino from St Jean last winter and their blog might also help:

http://www.girlsontheway.com/

Seamus

Last edited:
I think walking the Camino with you Mom and your children is a wonderful idea. My advice is to take all the advice people give for older people walking the Camino, and apply it for younger people walking the Camino. Walk slowly and carefully in the beginning stages, pay close attention to what your body is telling you. Use hiking poles, don't carry too much weight.

The albergues should be fun for your kids, also. Talk about getting to see real life up close and personal!! I never saw the naked butts, etc., that others warn about, but I don't doubt that it could happen. Generally, I found people pretty modest and considerate of others, especially when they realized there were young people in the room.

There may be times it is cheaper to rent a large room from a private place rather than a public albergue so that will be a welcome option. But sleeping through the snoring of strangers is one of the landmark experiences of walking the Camino. Heaven forbid you should miss out on it.

You've picked a great forum to get information. Buen Camino!

Canada is a big place. Best will depend on your starting point. If you're on the east coast it might be "best" to trip down to the States and catch a flight. If you're near Toronto/Montreal there might be a direct flight that works for you.

You don't say how old your mother is but for either her or your daughter you might want to lean towards direct flights. Or consider padding your schedule with plenty of time to make connections.

The above also varies with how used the three of you are with traveling abroad.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You will be the best judge of your daughter's trekking abilities, I'm 68 and starting my 3rd Camino early in June 2014. I'd rather have the legs of an 11 year old than the legs of your mother who I suspect is in her 50's or 60's. I agree that poles are invaluable for stability and support while carrying a backpack.
I am staying at Orrison this year for the first time and I agree with the comment about breaking up the first day. Making reservations there are suggested, it takes a few days to get answer from them and they require a deposit paid via PayPal. The walk to Roncevalles is doable the first day but 2 or 3 days later your body will be thanking you for taking it easy at the beginning.
Proper foot care is essential, I'm a Vaseline, silk liner, merino wool guy and change my socks one or two times a day to keep my feet dry.
Logistics are something you will have to work out for yourself. Several of the suggestion proffered above are painting a broad brush picture of what is really involved in making connections. For example the train to SJPDP originates in Bayonne, not in Paris or Biarritz. Ryan Air, Air France and Easy Jet serve Biarritz but not from larger international airport which requires connections across town in London and Paris. I've read many post by people arriving from Madrid and it appears to be a fairly seemless way to connect to Pamplona and St. Jean by bus. The airports in Bilbao and Bordeaux are 2 hours from Bayonne and have connecting bus and/or train services also
Buen Camino!

Wow! I am so surprised by the responses with great advice! Thank you to each of you. I will definitely look into other flight options to see what will work best for timing, ease and cost.

My daughter and I live in Alberta, but will be flying out of Vancouver (BC) with my mom. She is 57 and walks 10km each morning. My daughter is a ringette player (similar-ish look to hockey) so she has strong, powerful legs.

We have both just purchased our backpacks and once the -30celcious dies down we will be out (looking like dorks as my daughter says! Ha!) practicing around town with some weight in them.

I should also mention that my daughter speaks French. (My mother and I do not) so I'm hoping that will be helpful. Especially if we take the route through London to (???) (still learning city names) as someone suggested. :)

Also, from what I understand, albergues and hotels generally have wifi - am I correct? Because I will be taking my daughter out of school a full month early, it has been suggested that she blog for her class to follow.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I should also mention that my daughter speaks French. (My mother and I do not) so I'm hoping that will be helpful. Especially if we take the route through London to (???) (still learning city names) as someone suggested. :)

They sound funny in London but a few speak English :p

Wi-fi is generally available free of charge in most towns in Spain and most albergues and hostels have computers connected to the Internet for about one Euros per hour. The question is whether you want to carry a device with you for 45 days and have to deal with finding places to keep charging the battery.
An answer to one of your previous question about the weather. Early June can still be a little spring-like with cool evening and rainy days but as the season moves into late June and July is becomes warm and dry.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Finally figured out how to find this post again! Ha!

You are all so helpful!!

Also wondering if anyone can comment on vegetarians walking. I do eat fish, but no other meats. Can this be a challenge? :)

Salads are available, tinned tuna fish and bean dishes but I suspect many of them are prepared con carne.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back