• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New - Hoping to start Camino Frances mid-Sept 2021

stephenmoles

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all,

My names is Stephen - First time for the Camino and currently planning for the Camino Frances mid-September 2021 on my own all things going to plan. Getting familiar with the site, but if anyone would have any advice or directions to information on the below, that would be greatly appreciated.

1. Aim is to start around September 10th or the week after, and aim for a finish around October 8th or after. I've heard September can be busy normally - Is this normally the case?

2. I've seen the sites Gronze & Buen Camino for good checking accommodation. Would I be right in saying best to book ahead this year, given the route/time of year, and Covid limitations? Would these sites have the most up to date info for open albergues?

3. Looking to start in SJDP as I imagine going through the Pyrenees would be lovely, but wondering if starting in Navarra would make sense in terms of Covid/moving between two countries?

Apologies if there are already specific up to date threads for this - Getting used to the site! But any feedback is appreciated.

- Stephen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello, start in SJPP because when you get to Santiago or world's end your feel much better knowing you have walked every step of the way like a true pilgrim. Through all the suffering and pain and discomfort no trains buses or taxis.

2. I've seen the sites Gronze & Buen Camino for good checking accommodation. Would I be right in saying best to book ahead this year, given the route/time of year, and Covid limitations? Would these sites have the most up to date info for open albergues?
Just to clarify - Gronze.com is a website with lots of great information, especially about accommodations on the Camino. It's all in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to your preferred language. Buen Camino is an app which is also great, and has offline gps capability. There are other apps that are similar, such as Wise Pilgrim and Camino Ninja. I really like the stage planning feature of the Buen Camino app, but I refer to the others too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My Wife and I walked from SJPP in May 2015. Both of us were first timers. Took us 37 days to Santiago. and that was with two rest days included. It was an amazing experience and very rewarding on so many levels. Have Faith, you'll be fine. Enjoy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Same time of the year we walked in 2017. It was busy, but just enough to make it interesting but not so much that we could not find accommodation. We had three days of rain - the first three days - then it never rained a drop the rest of the Camino. I agree with others, unless prohibited I would suggest you start in SJPD. The experience of the town and the climb crossing into Spain is just a great experience I would hate for you to miss. It is just an amazing way to start. Regarding reservations, I cannot say related to Covid and such, but I would tell you the same thing I tell anyone making the Camino - don't let planning or reservations rob you of being spontaneous and taking things as they come. I used the apps to find lodging each day, but did not reserve many days in advance. We wanted to be able to stay in a place, go slower if we wanted to, discover new things. Embrace a level of anxiety and let the Camino provide. Have an amazing time!

Hi all,

My names is Stephen - First time for the Camino and currently planning for the Camino Frances mid-September 2021 on my own all things going to plan. Getting familiar with the site, but if anyone would have any advice or directions to information on the below, that would be greatly appreciated.

1. Aim is to start around September 10th or the week after, and aim for a finish around October 8th or after. I've heard September can be busy normally - Is this normally the case?

3. Looking to start in SJDP as I imagine going through the Pyrenees would be lovely, but wondering if starting in Navarra would make sense in terms of Covid/moving between two countries?

Apologies if there are already specific up to date threads for this - Getting used to the site! But any feedback is appreciated.

- Stephen
Good Luck to you. I start 9/23. See you on the Camino

Hi Stephen. I’m on it now currently in León. Couple of things there was no difficulty flying into France and then crossing over to Spain and as others have said you shouldn’t miss the Pyrenees. Re accommodation it’s the number 1 topic of conversation/ stress for everyone on the walk just now, as everyone is booking ahead and Albergues are still working on reduced capacity and many municipal ones closed. However I have heard this is being relaxed soon and whilst it’s pretty busy here just now on the trail when you are starting should be quieter so my feeling is you wouldn’t have the same pressures to pre book

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Stephen. I’m on it now currently in León. Couple of things there was no difficulty flying into France and then crossing over to Spain and as others have said you shouldn’t miss the Pyrenees. Re accommodation it’s the number 1 topic of conversation/ stress for everyone on the walk just now, as everyone is booking ahead and Albergues are still working on reduced capacity and many municipal ones closed. However I have heard this is being relaxed soon and whilst it’s pretty busy here just now on the trail when you are starting should be quieter so my feeling is you wouldn’t have the same pressures to pre book
Hello all. At the airport and they are asking for a Visa to get into France. I am US citizen, QR EU code, plenty of time left before passport expires. Any suggestions? I have one more flight until I head for Paris. American let me board my flight from Hilton head to JFK. Flying American the entire way.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back