• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Iberia routes from Chicago

mmm042

Time of past OR future Camino
VDLP 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
Just heard that due to increased demand, Iberia is adding three nonstop flights/week from Chicago to Madrid in June, July and August, increasing the weekly number of flights from 7 to 10. The flights will be Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Most flights now use their new Airbus planes with more spacious seating and individual touch-screen TVs. I hope to experience one of these when I fly next month!

The airline is trying to update/revamp its image. For those into social media, they're using #newIberia.

If I can add anything after I fly on Iberia in March/April, I'll let you know.

Melanie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Melanie, do you know if the new flights will be later or earlier than their current flight? The current flight leaves around 4:45 or 5:45 pm depending on daylight savings time and it is great because it gets you into Madrid at 7 in the morning. I just flew on that Iberia flight from Chicago, and it was pretty comfortable. Everyone was very friendly and helpful (I never understand all the complaints Iberia gets about rude flight attendants), but the food was probably the worst airplane food I have ever had. I don't know if the crisis means they're scaling back even more on food, but it was really a new low. And I am not a picky eater.

If you book your ticket through American, as a codeshare, you can't get a seat assignment till day of departure, which is a pain in the neck. But I always stick with AA because they are much more helpful and efficient if you need rebooking.

The real plus of that Iberia flight is the early arrival. Immigration is usually empty and you just sail right through, and our bags were on the carousel by the time we got there. Later in the day things get bogged down a bit, in my experience.

My T4 tip -- always take the elevator, some of those escalators go up three or four flights.

They currently show two flights Thursday, Friday, and Sunday, in June and July departing 1510 and 1635 non-stop, arriving at 0620 and 0740 respectively. That is an addition of one flight on those days.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks, falcon, I don't know why I didn't think to check the schedule. Getting into Madrid at 6:20 am is great for the pilgrim who wants to make it to far away Camino starting points on the first day.

Falcon has the correct times. I've always had good luck with Iberia too, Laurie. But boo on the food! I'm with you -- I'm not picky at all, so I'll be curious to see how the food is. I think I last flew Iberia in November 2012.

I still fly Iberia, but they are becoming useless from the Washington, DC area since the merger with British Airways. They REALLY want to route me through Chicago, which on my globe, is the wrong direction when I am going to Spain...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just came back on Iberia to Chicago. The food was really truly inedible, but I'm not saying that distinguishes them from other airlines. Do not get the berengela (eggplant) paremesan -- under any circumstances. But those personal TV screens had a lot of movies on offer -- including The Way!!!! Unfortunately, I didn't notice that until I was about an hour outside Chicago. But I did see Tom Hanks battling Somali pirates. Have a great trip, Melanie.

Thanks for the tips, Laurie! I just may pack my own food. :) Funny -- Ed and I just watched Captain Phillips last weekend.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back