A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Buy any book, get free camino shell

NEW & Improved Camino Blogging Survival Guide

Camino(s) past & future
May-June (2018) Camino Frances
Greetings All,

I had a little extra time over the weekend and decided to write a "Camino Blogging Survival Guide" for those who might be interested in doing a blog.

The guide covers many things like setting-up a FREE site on WordPress.com, free training on using WordPress, photography tips, photo editing software...

I'm no expert, but I hope that you might find this guide helpful if you are considering doing a blog.

Cheers,

-jj

PS If you see errors in this document or have ideas to make this guide better, please contact me.

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: September 24 - October 31 (2015); February/March (2019)
Thanks for putting this together. I have downloaded the guide. I did notice one discrepancy. I am able to upload videos directly to my Wordpress.com blog. I do not need to first upload to YouTube.

Camino(s) past & future
Thanks for putting this together. I have downloaded the guide. I did notice one discrepancy. I am able to upload videos directly to my Wordpress.com blog. I do not need to first upload to YouTube.
Tom,

Did you pay for an upgrade on WordPress??? Everytime I try & upload a video into my WordPress media folder it says I have to pay to upgrade my account for videos. (I have the FREE account)

-jj

Camino(s) past & future
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
I loved the brilliant photos on your blog. Memo to self: don't just rely on the iPhone - take a real camera next time!

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata.
I am a novice but on the Via de la Plata I used FindPenguins. Found it easy and love the way it automatically tracks and saves the footprints on the map, so people can watch your progress.

Camino(s) past & future
I loved the brilliant photos on your blog. Memo to self: don't just rely on the iPhone - take a real camera next time!
Thanks for the kind words!

Regardless of what you use to capture your photos (camera or phone)... use some photo editing software. That is my "secret sauce" :cool:

Cheers,

Camino(s) past & future
I am a novice but on the Via de la Plata I used FindPenguins. Found it easy and love the way it automatically tracks and saves the footprints on the map, so people can watch your progress.
YES, there are many site that offer similar functions and are kind of neat. But I have a couple of concerns:
  • Some will cost you money. (Where as a blog on WoedPress.com is totally free)
  • Some of these type of sites have already gone out of business (and you lose your photos/text...) WordPress.com should be around for a long time.
Just my thoughts...

Cheers,

-jj

Camino(s) past & future
Tom,

Did you pay for an upgrade on WordPress??? Everytime I try & upload a video into my WordPress media folder it says I have to pay to upgrade my account for videos. (I have the FREE account)

-jj
No, I didn’t pay for the upgrade. What I am doing is inserting the video directly into a blog post. I am not uploading it to my media folder.

Camino(s) past & future
No, I didn’t pay for the upgrade. What I am doing is inserting the video directly into a blog post. I am not uploading it to my media folder.
OK... the same as me.

If you have a video on your phone/camera and want to put it in your blog, you first have to get it YouTube... then insert it into your blog in WordPress.

Camino(s) past & future
OK... the same as me.

If you have a video on your phone/camera and want to put it in your blog, you first have to get it YouTube... then insert it into your blog in WordPress.
That doesn't sound the same. I am able to insert a video from my iPhone directly into a blog post. I do not have to upload the video to YouTube first. I click on the "+" button when composing a blog post and then select the icon that looks like a photo, then I select the video I want to insert and hit the okay button (or whatever they call it) and in it goes.

Camino(s) past & future
OK... the same as me.

Could it be that you have to upload YouTube because of storage limitations?

Camino(s) past & future
Could it be that you have to upload YouTube because of storage limitations?
No problems with my storage.

Since you can't upload/store videos on the FREE version of WordPress.com, the video has to hosted somewhere on the internet.

In my case, I upload it to YouTube and then link it to my blog.

I suspect that in your case, your iPhone videos must be on your iCloud account and then it is linked to your blog.

Cheers,

-jj

Camino(s) past & future

Since you can't upload/store videos on the FREE version of WordPress.com, the video has to hosted somewhere on the internet.

I suspect that in your case, your iPhone videos must be on your iCloud account and then it is linked to your blog.

Cheers,

-jj
I don’t think that is the case. When I look in my Wordpress media folder I see videos there. Perhaps there is a size limitation for videos. Another possibility is that it depends on where you are located. I am in the States.

Camino(s) past & future

Cheers,

-jj
Well this is really strange. I have dug into this a bit more on Wordpress. While I have a free plan, for some reason I am able to upload videos the way I could if I had a premium plan. Perhaps this is some sort of introductory offer, although I can’t find anything that reflects that.

MPH2556

Camino(s) past & future
Spring 2018
Greetings All,

I had a little extra time over the weekend and decided to write a "Camino Blogging Survival Guide" for those who might be interested in doing a blog.

The guide covers many things like setting-up a FREE site on WordPress.com, free training on using WordPress, photography tips, photo editing software...

I'm no expert, but I hope that you might find this guide helpful if you are considering doing a blog.

Cheers,

-jj

PS If you see errors in this document or have ideas to make this guide better, please contact me.
This is great. We are headed out to our first Camino late Sept and have been looking for an easy way to let all back home and others follow our walk. Thanks again for putting this together.
MPH

AfriCat

My camino tattoo
Camino(s) past & future
2014 - parts of Via Augusta, VdlP, Madrid and Portuguese
Thank you for the guide - well put together with plenty of links for those who want to delve further. I did my first camino in 2014 and started off really well on my blog, but soon found I begrudged the time needed to update it - I'd much rather head out and enjoy the town where I was staying. To keep others happy, who were following my progress, I took to uploading a few photos with short descriptions to my public Facebook album instead. I'm doing another camio next year and intend to go down the blogging route again, only not daily.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May 2016
C. Frances, Sept 2017
Via de La Plata (spring, 2019)
I have been experimenting with WordPress. The stumbling block I have faced is that I joined someone's blog on WordPress many years ago and the site keeps sending me back to that one. Wish there was some way I could disconnect from the old one!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Greetings All,

Cheers,

-jj

Many thanks, JJ! I downloaded your pdf and am digesting the idea of a digital journal on WordPress.com to share with my friends.

I regret not keeping journals (before the digital age) and blogs since then for my travels to UK, Germany, Denmark, Paris, Provence, and Tuscany. Your blog guide has motivated me to consider it on our Camino Frances in September 2019. My wife, Sue, plans to keep a traditional journal, but she is more technically challenged/adverse. My challenge will be to blog as efficiently (in time, money, and weight) as possible. The quality will not rival yours, but may get the message across all the same. Thanks for broadening my horizons!

Camino(s) past & future
Many thanks, JJ! I downloaded your pdf and am digesting the idea of a digital journal on WordPress.com to share with my friends.

I regret not keeping journals (before the digital age) and blogs since then for my travels to UK, Germany, Denmark, Paris, Provence, and Tuscany. Your blog guide has motivated me to consider it on our Camino Frances in September 2019. My wife, Sue, plans to keep a traditional journal, but she is more technically challenged/adverse. My challenge will be to blog as efficiently (in time, money, and weight) as possible. The quality will not rival yours, but may get the message across all the same. Thanks for broadening my horizons!
Chip,

Thanks for the kind words!!!

A few comments:
  • I too regret not blogging earlier. In my past jobs I used to travel the world (and spent some time sight-seeing/doing some fun things... spent a night at the Ice Hotel, skiing in the Alps, Japan, cruising through the fjords of Norway, hot air balloon rides in France, sailing in the Baltic Sea...). Now I mostly travel on my own dime :mad:
  • "Your blog guide has motivated me to consider ..." That is exactly why I created my Survival Guide. Hopefully you will learn enough from the guide to make a wise decision on whether to blog or not.
  • ALSO... I can't stress enough how important the Lynda.com training is. In just 2.5 hours, you will have all you need to know to use WordPress.com.
  • "My challenge will be to blog as efficiently" Great point. I spent about 60-90 minutes a day to do my Camino blog. I would spend ~30-45 minutes culling/editing my photos and the same amount of time to write/upload my blog. To be honest... the hardest/most time consuming part was the horrible WiFi speeds at many/most of the places I stayed. It was the most frustrating part of my blogging experience on the Camino.
  • ALSO...you might consider doing a test blog if you have a trip/vacation planned before your Camino. I did this when I went on spring break for a week.
  • Aside from the WiFi issues, I actually enjoyed sitting down after a day of hiking and blog/reflect on the day. It was rather civilized :cool: I found that if I envisioned a person back home... what would I tell them about my day... really helped me write my blog.
  • "The quality will not rival yours, ..." Everyone does their blogging differently. For me, I focused (pun intended) on my photos and added just enough words to explain the day. Others like to write in great detail about their day with a couple of photos. It is up to you and what you feel comfortable with.
Hope this helps!!!

Cheers,

-jj

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Inglés (from Ferrol June 2014)
Camino Portuguese (from Tui May 2015)
ALSO...you might consider doing a test blog if you have a trip/vacation planned before your Camino
This is a great idea! I wish I had done a separate "test blog" just to learn how it all worked. Instead, I did it on my only blog, and really should go back to remove/edit some things. But it was helpful to just learning how to manage the mechanics of adding photos, captions, and in my case, words in Spanish.

Thanks also @JJinWI for all of the detailed info - I will definitely look into that Lynda.com info!

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Most replies

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.6%
  • May