• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New kit, forest and old cityscape

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I’m not exactly sure why I crocheted a tree yesterday, but soon a forest appeared and I got out an old embroidered city scene I made for the kids years ago and my husband’s playmobil figures......who needed a backpack and winter woolies.....I found a blue “lake” and now I’m making some mountains! My mind is wondering about making some other camino things - hay stacks, villages with a church, mojones...2907E3EC-DA7D-422E-A840-AC46CC872CD4.jpeg8236ED4A-9990-4806-A9AE-E07FD04ACB80.jpeg694B04BA-6591-4E36-8F03-92B88EFE2BA6.jpegCA6CBCA3-D3BF-4F68-AB50-521635F8D923.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m not exactly sure why I crocheted a tree yesterday, but soon a forest appeared and I got out an old embroidered city scene I made for the kids years ago and my husband’s playmobil figures......who needed a backpack and winter woolies.....I found a blue “lake” and now I’m making some mountains! My mind is wondering about making some other camino things - hay stacks, villages with a church, mojones...View attachment 82500View attachment 82501View attachment 82502View attachment 82503
Great imagination. Brilliant.

FDD255FD-62C9-4176-9C8D-57FB14509989.jpeg
Camino de Madrid - we’ve come over the pass, down through Segovia and now we’re about to enter the forest....
16C671E3-4F82-421A-8621-C7ADBD7E1C5D.jpeg

I've been a bit concerned about my ability to cross that mountain pass on the Camino Madrid when the time comes.
But if those pilgrims can do it then surely I can!
Thank you
Gerard

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@gerardcarey i actually need to make another mountain to create a pass but I’m busy making a sleeping bag (and a sleeping mat to be left in the albergue donation box)
I’ll do the mountain this weekend when we (appropriately) go down to Ruapehu. I’m planning a conical Ngauruhoe too!

@gerardcarey i actually need to make another mountain to create a pass but I’m busy making a sleeping bag (and a sleeping mat to be left in the albergue donation box)
I’ll do the mountain this weekend when we (appropriately) go down to Ruapehu. I’m planning a conical Ngauruhoe too!
I'm really ashamed to say that I have never walked the Tongariro Crossing. Really ashamed. I came from Wanganui, have paddled the Wanganui 5 times, skied Ruapehu I don't know how many times, and lived in Turangi for 3 years, and holidayed I don't know how many times in the Taupo area.
Call myself a hiker.
I'm ashamed.
Gerard

Oh @gerardcarey don’t be ashamed - but do consider this to be a good reason to return to NZ! Just imagine - we could organise for Camino veterans to do the Round the Mountain hike - that takes in the Tongariro Crossing (which is spectacular) and adds another three or four days. Of course there are no bars and no question about “if” we will need sleeping bags (we will - and can take tents if we don’t want to use the huts).....
Then you will no longer carry shame, but some wonderful memories instead!!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Round the Mountain Track in 2014, the year before I walked my first camino. But I chose not to walk the Tongariru Crossing, which was busier than the Frances after Sarria: pretty much body to body, from the photos which I saw when I was there. On my last night, I didn't make it to the hut and spent a wonderful cloudless night on the mountainside, dozing, then waking to watch the southern stars.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.