• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kevin O'Brien 2018 guide to the Lana, in English

Kevin F. O*brien

Time of past OR future Camino
2002-2019 Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Via de la plata, Camino del Norte, Camino Primitivo, etc.
At last it's finished. I hope this guide, written after completing this incredible Camino in October 2018, will help others who are thinking about walking the Lana. It was a wonderful experience and the infrastructure is there! Strongly recommended. It seems that I can't upload this file for some reason! Please email me on kfobrien@online.no and I will send it to you directly.

Moderator note: Scroll down to post #4 in this thread, in order to find the downloadable file.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
At last it's finished. I hope this guide, written after completing this incredible Camino in October 2018, will help others who are thinking about walking the Lana. It was a wonderful experience and the infrastructure is there! Strongly recommended. It seems that I can't upload this file for some reason! Please email me on kfobrien@online.no and I will send it to you directly.
The file is now uploaded thanks to some help! Scroll Down. It'´s in PDF format.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Trying again to uppload. This time With PDF. Uploaded! Thanks Bostjan!
No sweat, Kevin!

@SYates is right, it's better to be uploaded to Resources section but anyone can do it now when the file is .pdf. It's just a nice thing to wait for you to do it because of all the work you put in it. You have to take some credit :)

Two and a half weeks ago I returned from my latest camino and was secretly wondering where I might walk next. Ruta de la Lana was not in my sights at all but after the past week seeing lots of wonderful posts I have been drawn more and more to it. Now my dilemma is whether I go on my own (which I'd love to do) or bring my youngest two girls along too (they would prefer a "busy" camino, but not a touristy one - they're getting fussy! But they have conceded that walking a less pilgrimmed one would increase the likelihood of them speaking Spanish which they were just starting to get confident with on our latest walk)
Little to no chance of hubby coming too as I'm currently scheming to get him to Spain for a cycling camino with his best-friend-since-childhood who now lives in another country. He won't have enough leave (or money - haha) for two trips!
Now to read the guide;-)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
One question for any of you Lana walkers. Is there an albergue in Las Inviernas? (between TRILLO and SIGÜENZA) I saw a report of someone staying there, but when I search online I cannot find any information.

Thank you, Kevin for creating this guide. This route has been on my radar screen for awhile and now seems more accessible.

A few questions.... did you run into any other pilgrims? Any issues with property owners denying access to the route? How fluent are you in Spanish?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Appreciate you sharing all the information gathered. There is something very
intoxicating about walking across beautiful countryside whether alone or with fellow
pilgrims. The herding bells are always a welcome sound when walking. Makes me feel less alone. Time to get out a map to see just where the "Lana" is. Sincerest thanks for
this gift!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One question for any of you Lana walkers. Is there an albergue in Las Inviernas? (between TRILLO and SIGÜENZA) I saw a report of someone staying there, but when I search online I cannot find any information.

There is "kind of" a place to stay in Las Inviernas. The Asosiación says "acogida no garantizada" so you can't count on it. It is a "local municipal" (could be anything) on: Pza. Mayor, s/n (Ayuntam.) 949817455 (Ayuntam.)

But between Trillo and Sigüenza you have Mandayona with a simple accomodation provided by the Ayuntamineto (perhaps as basic as in Las Inviernas). I stayed in a casa rural in Mandayona. Very expensive (some 55 euros) but this year in the Spanish guide it is listed as 30 euros??

I remember in an earlier guide that one should phone the Ayuntamiento in Mandayona at least three days (!) in advance to be sure to get access to the albergue.

OK, I don't know if my rambling help you...

Take care!

BP

Last edited:
Thank you Kevin. This will be so useful in my planning for next year's camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Wow Kevin - this guide is outstanding. I'm hoping to walk the Ruta de la Lana with my son this spring. Depending on how much time I can get off work, I may need to start from Cuenca. Having got most of my information from Spanish sites, mostly outdated - it was a real gift to get your updates. Many thanks! - John P

The file is now uploaded thanks to some help! Scroll Down. It'´s in PDF format.
Thanks
Wow Kevin - this guide is outstanding. I'm hoping to walk the Ruta de la Lana with my son this spring. Depending on how much time I can get off work, I may need to start from Cuenca. Having got most of my information from Spanish sites, mostly outdated - it was a real gift to get your updates. Many thanks! - John P
thanks so much Kevin again . We followed yr guide for several caminos
Now inspired to do la Lana

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
May I commend Kevin's notes on the Camino de la Lana again?
Just got back from our cycle adventure. From Lisbon to Alicante, we mainly followed the Atlantic, then Mediterranean coastline, finding our own routes and places to stay, mostly successfully, sometimes rather stressfully.
But with a map and Kevin's route notes, we were able to trace accurately our pilgrimage-by-tandem from Alicante to Burgos. Often we took parallel roads, but where Kevin described beautiful sections we followed the camino path - pushing where the surface or the gradient made it necessary. Fabulous scenery, beautiful villages and towns and, above all, the most hospitable and friendly of people. The temperatures in July were a bit marginal even for cycling, but with Kevin's reliable 'fuente' pointers we got through it without heatstroke or other serious distress.
If you're considering this quiet and underappreciated pilgrimage route, I would recommend April/May (or perhaps June for cycling) or Sept/Nov. And whatever you do, do stay at Villaconejos (rabbit town!), for the fabulous local hospitality.
Thank you again Kevin! And Viva la Ruta de la Lana!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Lana is on my wish list but firstly the corona crisis must be over and secondly I must see if I am fit enough myself for such a long walk.

Thank you so much, Kevin! We were just talking about maybe doing the first week or so on this route in the late fall/early winter if things work out...your post appeared just the next day! 😃👏

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back