• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New list of bonus items to pack?

JCarpenter

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, Fr2022
There is a wonderful old thread with "unexpected items" to pack, and I am hoping for more updated finds...items to pack repurposed or problem solving or items just for comfort.
One I have brought is a colorful batik cloth to use as a very quick drying towel that can double as a wrap, or as a skirt for cathedral visiting to twist over my hiking pants.
I am sure there are other new items you could add. June can't get here fast enough!
Buen camino.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh, I SO hope this revives that old thread! What fun!

I am still quite minimal, only taking what I will use, except for one practical extra I can think of. I take a linen napkin (died brown) and added to the laundry many times to make it soft and flexible.
Can be opened out over the knees to lay out a packed lunch .... soaked in a stream to use to wipe down head and face, etc .... laid over a meal outside at a restaurant if needing the bathroom to keep flies off ... cover the face and eyes if having a siesta .... oh, and is pretty good as a napkin too :)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh, I SO hope this revives that old thread! What fun!

I am still quite minimal, only taking what I will use, except for one practical extra I can think of. I take a linen napkin (died brown) and added to the laundry many times to make it soft and flexible.
Can be opened out over the knees to lay out a packed lunch .... soaked in a stream to use to wipe down head and face, etc .... laid over a meal outside at a restaurant if needing the bathroom to keep flies off ... cover the face and eyes if having a siesta .... oh, and is pretty good as a napkin too :)
I just happen to be a beneficiary of a new "said napkin," from @Kathy F.

which she is making
to test. Now I have had my understanding of possibilities broadened! Thank you David!
P.S...mine is a rich green with lovely stitching on the edges. If anyone would like to support her cottage Camino enterprise I would reach out to her!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Paxlovid is not handy here in US. Must go through some hoops and being very sick already is one of them, at least where I am. (WA)
Yes, definitely. With current availability, the only ethical thing is to require a diagnosis before prescribing.

I expect that at some point there will be enough (production and inventory increase, epidemic waning) that we’ll be able to get Paxlovid and other oral treatments that emerge much like we get the prophylactic meds for traveling in malaria areas, or what you take with you for traveler’s diarrhea (which require a prescription in the US).

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think I may have posted one of the earlier discussions of “little luxuries”. I think it is fun if people don’t jump to judgement. I have a crazy one that is bigger (although it is lightweight). I never travel without it… drum roll…no shame…I take a European electric plug in heating pad. I have used it when I am cold, and just for lovely comfort. I have shared it with other sore pilgrims. It folds down and I put it where my water bladder should have gone. Perfect and at the end of a gruelling day, I dream about how good it will feel. Okay, cat’s out of the bag!

I think I may have posted one of the earlier discussions of “little luxuries”. I think it is fun if people don’t jump to judgement. I have a crazy one that is bigger (although it is lightweight). I never travel without it… drum roll…no shame…I take a European electric plug in heating pad. I have used it when I am cold, and just for lovely comfort. I have shared it with other sore pilgrims. It folds down and I put it where my water bladder should have gone. Perfect and at the end of a gruelling day, I dream about how good it will feel. Okay, cat’s out of the bag!
Nope, I've slept with a heating pad for decades. I don't have European one, but ordered a USB version (testing before I go). Great idea about bladder area!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A small can of WD 40 lubricant to deal with the incessant squeaky hinges, particularly the ones on the door to the loo twice per night. A pet peeve of mine.

Can you travel just ahead of me? Then I don't have to carry the can, but benefit just the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My little extras are three:
  • a small rubber massage ball that makes my feet/shoulder/lower back feel excellent after a long day;
  • a lightweight/quick drying Japanese exfoliant washcloth to get me super clean and energize me post-shower;
  • and a small beard brush (custom painted from a friend's shop) to keep my facial tresses in check and moisturized. (I expect my beard to be positively Biblical by the time I get to Muxia!)
Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 5.19.05 PM.png

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here are things I've gleaned through books, beyond what has already been mentioned...
1. Two huge safety pins than can hang a pero for a curtain, or your shirt to dry off your pack, etc.
2. Not a thing persay, but write your name on the back of your shoes.
3. Converter
4. Thai massage stick, slender about 6" long...really gets into neck and similar muscles (I can attest).
5. Zipped travel pillow case can hold clothing for a pillow without spelling out.
6. The old-scool buzz-cut combs that men would slip over their finger. I picked one up recently and I tested it for a clothing scrubber, works wonders...also awesome on mosquito bites :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The old-scool buzz-cut combs that men would slip over their finger. I picked one up recently and I tested it for a clothing scrubber, works wonders...also awesome on mosquito bites
I'm trying to picture what this is, and how it works for mosquito bites?

I always carry a golf ball! It happens to a bright yellow one.

I asked my doctor if one was susceptible to plantar fasiitis once having had it. Her response was "yes - carry a golf ball in your pocket". I don't carry it in my pocket, but it is always easily accessible in my pack and with the slightest twinge in my feet, I stop, remove my boots - using them to make a "baricade", and roll my foot on the ball - being careful that it doesn't roll away! I stop immediately a twinge appears, and that, combined with the rest, has meant that I have not had any problems for the last ten years.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I always take a metal (unbreakable and weighs little) hanger so if the washing lines are full my shirt and shorts can hang and dry on the end of the bed, door handle or wherever.

I always take a metal (unbreakable and weighs little) hanger so if the washing lines are full my shirt and shorts can hang and dry on the end of the bed, door handle or wherever.
Nice tip. I'm wondering if it is allowed inside your backpack in the cabin of the plane, or do you send yours below as checked luggage?

Rawlogy Original Ultralight Cork Massage Ball (Mini 1.9") for Muscle Recovery and Tension Relief https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RV6X4YC/?tag=casaivar02-20

This mini cork ball for the feet or even a sore neck muscle. 19 g.

Hodeco Nature Silk Pillowcase Toddler Size for Hair and Skin Double Side 600 Thread Count 19MM Grey Silk Pillow Case 14x20 Inches 100% Mulberry Silk Pillow Cover for Bed 36x51CM, Silver Gray, 1 Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079684C76/?tag=casaivar02-20

A toddler sized silk pillow case. Holds my sleep system but can shove clothes in it and use it as a pillow. 37 g.

And many thanks to whomever it was that suggested an empty crystal light container to hold glasses. Weighs less than my lightest glasses case and also is big enough to fit both my sunglasses and my regular glasses.

If you’re switching between 2 pair of shoes, at your local stuff-mart-variety store you can buy a bag of single use shower caps for under a US dollar. They make great covers for the bottom of the grimy shoes before tossing into your pack.

And this one made me laugh. Z packs sells an ultralight dyneema change purse. The last time I was at ikea I noticed a mini “frakta” for 79 US cents. Once I cut off the extraneous “handles” it weighs less than the Z packs model. 😆 6 grams total. Yea you can use a ziplock baggie. But I appreciate something a bit sturdier for all the euro coins that eventually weigh a baggie down.

Yoga toes! I carried them on both of mine. I would spend a few minutes in bed each night with them on and massage my feet.

Also, acupuncture needles for daily treatments. But I’m an acupuncturist so that’s a little more of a niche item.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We each take a light scarf. Multi uses such as pillow case, neck warmer, privacy screen, light napping cover, table cloth, etc.20220327_085836.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.