• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New member. Looking for info.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the Forum. I’ll let others chime in on how to search previous posts for the answers you seek, but I wanted to give you a quick piece of beginner advice: avoid the use of “best” as that varies by person and no one can know what you would consider as “best”. Instead, provide as much info as possible to get the most accurate help as possible.

For example, “what European airport provides the shortest travel time once I land to SJPdP?” or “if money is no object, where should I fly into from Australia?”. Date of travel, budget, comfort ability with public transit, etc all affect how we can answer.

Buen Camino! You’ve already started your journey!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Planning on doing the Camino Frances in July 2023. Will be leaving from Brisbane, Australia. What would be the best place to fly into to get to St Jean. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. It has been a goal of mine for many years to walk the Camino. Something about it just gels with me.
Hi @Glennw - as @trecile said there's heaps of threads, but as a fellow Aussie (from Yallingup WA) I do know that the very start can be a bit overwhelming, as there's so much information. If you ever want chat off-line please feel free to send me a private message, and I'll be happy to share what little "wisdom" I might have. Equally happy to share my email address with you off-line.

Buen Camino ...

As a first timer, (you, not me), I'd suggest booking a return flight to Madrid.There is a lot of info on the forum about how to get to St Jean from there. Others will suggest the logic of Paris, but I think starting in Madrid will contribute to the experience.

Paris and Madrid strike me as the two best arrival points. Both require additional travel by bus, train, or plane, but getting to SJPP from either arrival point is not particularly difficult (lots of threads on this Forum regarding this topic). However, as mentioned above by @Peregrinopaul, I too, would plan my return flight from Madrid. After your Camino, it’s an easy flight or train ride to the Spanish capital.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As a first timer, (you, not me), I'd suggest booking a return flight to Madrid.There is a lot of info on the forum about how to get to St Jean from there. Others will suggest the logic of Paris, but I think starting in Madrid will contribute to the experience.
Thanks mate, good suggestion. Only thing is that after the camino i'm heading to the UK to catch up with some long lost relatives. I thought Barcelona mainly because I've heard you can get a bus to Pamplona and then on to St Jean. Will keep researching to find out the best solution.

Paris and Madrid strike me as the two best arrival points. Both require additional travel by bus, train, or plane, but getting to SJPP from either arrival point is not particularly difficult (lots of threads on this Forum regarding this topic). However, as mentioned above by @Peregrinopaul, I too, would plan my return flight from Madrid. After your Camino, it’s an easy flight or train ride to the Spanish capital.
Thanks for the Info. I will be heading to the UK after the camino so won't be flying out of Spain.

Hi @Glennw - as @trecile said there's heaps of threads, but as a fellow Aussie (from Yallingup WA) I do know that the very start can be a bit overwhelming, as there's so much information. If you ever want chat off-line please feel free to send me a private message, and I'll be happy to share what little "wisdom" I might have. Equally happy to share my email address with you off-line.

Buen Camino ...
Thanks Mr Pacman. You're right, there is a lot of info to take in. I might take you up on that offer offline. The head spins a bit with an overload of information.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I thought Barcelona mainly because I've heard you can get a bus to Pamplona and then on to St Jean.
Barcelona is also a good entry point. You can fly, bus or train to Pamplona. It is likely though that before getting to SJPdP you will have to spend a night in one of the two cities, maybe in both. They are great places to do that though.

Hello,
Definitely check out Trecile's links above.

https://www.rome2rio.com/ is a great resource for planning travel routes.

The closest airport to St Jean is Biarritz. Our first Camino we had a flight on Air France from Paris to Biarritz, but ended up sitting between train cars instead due to an airline strike (a perfect start to our first Camino because adapting to whatever happens is one of the many joys of walking the CF).

I have flown into Biarritz from London which was quick and easy.

I've also taken the train from Barcelona to St Jean because the flight from California to Barcelona was less expensive, however, I was a little surprised how expensive Barcelona is compared to the rest of Spain so it was not a savings. It was a very long train ride; the route we took is not listed on Rome to Rio, but you can also search for train routes throughout Europe on https://www.bahn.com/en and my new favorite travel app is https://www.omio.com/

We have flown out of Madrid multiple times. The ease of flying out of Madrid depends on whether you will need to go through customs or not. I think for London you might, so you may want to check on that and give yourself ample time between flights. We recently flew from Madrid to Geneva and we were not required to go through customs and the 2 hour connection time we had was plenty.

I hope that helps. All the best in planning your journey!

Last edited:
Planning on doing the Camino Frances in July 2023. Will be leaving from Brisbane, Australia. What would be the best place to fly into to get to St Jean. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. It has been a goal of mine for many years to walk the Camino. Something about it just gels with me.
I'm flying from Brisbane to CDG Paris in May with a flight to Biarritz from there. Staying Biarritz then on to SJPP.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.