• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New member on forum

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi. I am new, a senior in late sixties and is not savvy with computer. I have been watching various Camino videos on Youtube and have decided I want to try the Camino Frances.

I am hoping to get more input from members on this forum. Thank you.

Hi Dinnie and welcome here!

You will find a wealth of information here so feel free to ask us for it.

Have fun with the preparations.

Hi. I am new, a senior in late sixties and is not savvy with computer. I have been watching various Camino videos on Youtube and have decided I want to try the Camino Frances.

Welcome! You will get help here. Create questions by clicking on the "Post Thread" butten up right. Also use the Search function at top right to search for themes of interest to you.

Buen Camino! (Good way).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome! You will get help here. Create questions by clicking on the "Post Thread" butten up right. Also use the Search function at top right to search for themes of interest to you.

Buen Camino! (Good way).
Thank you Alex Walker for your tip/info. I will slowly learn to maneuver my way on this forum and computer screen to find out more about Camino Frances.

Hi, Dinnie, and a Warm Welcome to the Forum

Here are a couple of links which also may be of help as you begin:
American Pilgrims on Camino's FAQs about a Camino pilgrimage

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestions to start is this:

Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.

Make a list of questions and concerns that you have, then go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages. Then, at your convenience, you can enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore. :)

If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.

Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.

Dave

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi. I am a senior in late sixties...
Me too (67), although I have walked different Caminos for some years. Never too late. I plan my next this autumn. Or I should say, not so much a plan: I know my ways, where to go, how it works, where to start, how to find shelter, etc. I once got all the help I needed from this very Forum: Your turn now. ;)

So now you have this Forum to help you: Here is most likely the biggest assembly of wise pilgrims in the world who want nothing more than to help another one succed.

As you have already decided to go, you can consider yourself a Pilgrim now: You have taken the first step:

The decision. You are on your Way.

The rest is practicalities: Getting the right equipment, ordering a plane ticket, travel route, first night's stay, pilgrim guide for the Camino Frances. There are scores of experienced pilgrims here who will help you with that. Afterwards, the rest is walking, eating, sleeping, repeating.

Buen Camino! Enjoy the whole trip: From planning to execution. And then return here to help others!

Last edited:
Hi, Dinnie, and a Warm Welcome to the Forum

Here are a couple of links which also may be of help as you begin:
American Pilgrims on Camino's FAQs about a Camino pilgrimage

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestions to start is this:

Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.

Make a list of questions and concerns that you have, then go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages. Then, at your convenience, you can enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore. :)

If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.

Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.

Dave
Thank you Dave. It is great to hear response and encouragement from you and many others in the forum. Thank you all.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You are SO in the right place - welcome. Yes, plenty of videos out there - and of course, The Way, with Martin Sheen (cheap on Ebay).
Here is one where pilgrims talk -
Thank David. Yes, I have watched 'The Way" over a year ago. Just before that I read about the Camino and that's when I started thinking of the Camino Frances. Cheers.

Welcome @Dinnie !

By all means, do not be bashful with your questions.

Everyone on this Forum started exactly where you now reside: hopes, fears, and a whole lot of questions.

IMHO, you need only pay attention to formulating questions.

Hopes give rise to expectations. These will be a detriment.

Fears? They are, for the most part,needless. We have all had them and they proved unfounded.

As for your age? That is of little import. There are quite a few of us who match, or exceed, you in trips around the sun.

Buen Camino,

B

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Dinnie,

My husband and I have been walking the Camino Frances in stages (3-5 days a year) for the past eight years. We never had enough vacation time to do the walk in full, and it was a good reason to return to Spain every year. I mention this as an alternative to doing the full Camino in a single stretch. But that decision depends on your schedule and your fitness, and I'm not suggesting that anyone in his/her late 60s shouldn't consider the full Camino. We always go in October and have found the weather to be near-perfect every year. The Camino Frances is a beautiful route. If you choose the cross the Pyrenees on day one (versus taking the alternate route) that will be your most difficult day. After that, the terrain stretches out and most days are not too arduous until you pass Leon. Wishing you a wonderful experience on the Camino!

Welcome @Dinnie !

By all means, do not be bashful with your questions.

Everyone on this Forum started exactly where you now reside: hopes, fears, and a whole lot of questions.

IMHO, you need only pay attention to formulating questions.

Hopes give rise to expectations. These will be a detriment.

Fears? They are, for the most part,needless. We have all had them and they proved unfounded.

As for your age? That is of little import. There are quite a few of us who match, or exceed, you in trips around the sun.

Buen Camino,

B
Thank you simply B. I am very appreciative to all of you in this forum for all your tips and kind words.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Dinnie,

My husband and I have been walking the Camino Frances in stages (3-5 days a year) for the past eight years. We never had enough vacation time to do the walk in full, and it was a good reason to return to Spain every year. I mention this as an alternative to doing the full Camino in a single stretch. But that decision depends on your schedule and your fitness, and I'm not suggesting that anyone in his/her late 60s shouldn't consider the full Camino. We always go in October and have found the weather to be near-perfect every year. The Camino Frances is a beautiful route. If you choose the cross the Pyrenees on day one (versus taking the alternate route) that will be your most difficult day. After that, the terrain stretches out and most days are not too arduous until you pass Leon. Wishing you a wonderful experience on the Camino!
Thanks tpalmercurl. From what I read, Camino Frances is one of the popular route and crossing the Pyrenees is like you said, the most difficult. It will be the route I am considering, with a stop in Orisson and continue the next day to Roncesvalles like one of the members suggested.
I have time and enjoy walking. This will be an adventure for me and I have been discussing this with a friend of mine. I hope she will still be on board when the time comes.👌

You are SO in the right place - welcome. Yes, plenty of videos out there - and of course, The Way, with Martin Sheen (cheap on Ebay).
Here is one where pilgrims talk -
I have seen this video and did enjoy it. My absolute favorite video that for me, gets to the heart and soul of what the Camino means (again for me) is "Looking For Infinity". You also hear from Pilgrims who are walking or who have lived on the Camino. There is a wonderful young man who lived on the Meseta. I spent a few hours with him in his tiny house during a driving rain storm in October 2015. In fact it rained almost continuously on the Meseta that year. Unfortunately this wonderful and generous young man has moved on after many years living on the Meseta. I wish him happiness and peace. I have watched this video at least 5 times and I never tire of it.

"You are walking for your soul. Every step you take is a step closer to freedom. Yet the only thing that matters is honesty. Walking with honesty in every step. If you walk as a tourist, shopping all the time. spending money... you will be the same person, no changes. Then El Camino was worthless. I recommend El Camino to everyone. It is an incredible experience. Words of a Spanish Pilgrim

Thanks tpalmercurl. From what I read, Camino Frances is one of the popular route and crossing the Pyrenees is like you said, the most difficult. It will be the route I am considering, with a stop in Orisson and continue the next day to Roncesvalles like one of the members suggested.
I have time and enjoy walking. This will be an adventure for me and I have been discussing this with a friend of mine. I hope she will still be on board when the time comes.👌
Have no fear that you are in your late 60's. So are many of us. I have walked Le Puy and the Norte and they are both more difficult caminos than the Frances.
Have no fear of your fear. I still have fears after 5 Caminos and 5000k of walking. I have fear as I prepare for the Via de la Plata from Sevilla/Santiago/Muxia, about 1100K. My fears recedes with every step I will take from the Cathedral in Sevilla. In about a week I know I will be walking on air.
Have no fear if your friend will walk with you. Have no fear if you walk alone. You may be amazed how quickly you will enjoy the absolute freedom of your oneness.
Have no fear of being alone. There will be pilgrims everywhere who will help give you the freedom and confidence to be alone.
Have no fear of not thinking. There is so much in your head that is working against you. Start to listen to your body and your spirit. Listen to your body. It will tell you when to walk, when to eat, when to rest and when to start again. Listen to your body and the sounds of around you to discover the rhythm and the pace of your walk. Do not mimic others and their pace and rhythm. Walking to fast, too slow, with pain or blisters may only lead to serious injury.
Do not fear to tell a new friend "or family" I will meet you later. I AM stopping here to rest/eat. If they are "your friend or family" they will understand and meeting later should be not be an issue.
Do not fear being left behind by a friend or family. Look over your shoulder a new friend or family is coming up behind you.
IT IS YOUR CAMINO AND NO ONE ELSE'S.
Finally there are wonderful and smart people here. For every question you will get lots of expert answers. All excellent and all very well intended. Walk in trail runners, (there are about a zillion choices), walk with boots, walk in sandals. Take a sleeping bag, don't take a sleeping bag, spend $1,000 + dollars on equipment, Buy the same stuff in closeout and save lots of money. It goes on and on.
Make your choices. Go to REI or similar place. Buy what feels right (REI takes things back even if you have worn or walked in them) and then go out and walk and train with the gear you buy.
PACK LIGHT. IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO ABSOLUTELY USE SOMETHING DON'T BRING IT.
You are walking in Spain not the Sahara. If you need something you can buy it.
And as AlexWalker another old man like me said:
Buen Camino! Enjoy the whole trip: From planning to execution. And then return here to help others!
Buen Camino también.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

hi Dinnie and Welcome. I walked the Francés last year; my first Camino and I'm hooked. Planning the Portuguese on my own and then Sarria to Santiago with my husband in October. I was a solo walker last year and with Covid closing in behind me, there were fewer pilgrims that usual. Despite that, I had a wonderful adventure, both a physical and mental challenge, but magical. Stunning scenery, good and bad weather, getting up and not knowing exactly what the day would bring gave me a real sense of freedom. When you get there, enjoy! Buen Camino

hi Dinnie and Welcome. I walked the Francés last year; my first Camino and I'm hooked. Planning the Portuguese on my own and then Sarria to Santiago with my husband in October. I was a solo walker last year and with Covid closing in behind me, there were fewer pilgrims that usual. Despite that, I had a wonderful adventure, both a physical and mental challenge, but magical. Stunning scenery, good and bad weather, getting up and not knowing exactly what the day would bring gave me a real sense of freedom. When you get there, enjoy! Buen Camino
Thank you Sue. It's really great to see the responses and likes from all on this forum which is much appreciated. Cheers!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hello. Can anyone advise on return travel from Santiago to the north east of England/ Newcastle/north west/Manchester. EasyJet run seasonal flights which don’t cover November when we will be...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
I will arrive at SJDP 1st of May .. less than a month to go ! Any tips? Should I train walking with my backpack ?
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.