• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New moderators / staff members

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just a quick question, if you have a demur or question to ask a mod or staff member to probe into a decision who exactly do you ask ?? I.e anyone in particular? Ivar?
Kind regards

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just a quick question, if you have a demur or question to ask a mod or staff member to probe into a decision who exactly do you ask ?? I.e anyone in particular? Ivar?
Kind regards

There is a report function in every post and when you click on it , write your report and send it, it will come to the attention of all moderators.
I guess it then depends on who is online at that certain time to deal with it.

Sometimes I will make a PM to a specific moderator when I see that he or she is online at that moment.

Last edited:
As @SabineP says the 'Report' option will flag a post for the moderators' attention. You have the option to explain what your concern is. If you have a question concerning a decision made by a moderator then you should contact them or Ivar by private message as explained in the forum rules: "
7) If you do not agree on a moderator decision, please contact the moderator or @ivar in a Private Conversation. All disagreements should be handled in Private Conversations and not in public.

As @SabineP says the 'Report' option will flag a post for the moderators' attention. You have the option to explain what your concern is. If you have a question concerning a decision made by a moderator then you should contact them or Ivar by private message as explained in the forum rules: "

It can help to review all of the Forum rules, too; an answer as to 'why' something was done by a Moderator may be self-evident. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/forum-rules.20973/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good luck guys!
Now you have a target on your back for whoever poop-posts in spite and despite forum rules and norms all in the name of freedom of speech.
Its like hearding a bunch of cartnip using...angry tween...kitten-cats.
Screaming
DONT CENSOR ME.DO NOT MODERATE ME...!!!!!
while the rest of the forum is cringing and angry because said forum abuser is jumping the shark,going over the hill and speed spamming the forum with nonsense....

Or caught between people arguing politics-religion-who has the most- plugged in-woke-POV..
And having to temp ban or perma ban said offenders after generous warnings because..

Its a forum with incredibly diverse and lively members from every corner of the world..who may be offended by another's language,pov,stance on who is a real pilgrim or not,who travels the furthest wins and who has the best tortilla and how much to leave at the donativo with only cold water showers..which makes it the worst on the Camino.

Some wil ask for the least amount of Moderation
Some will ask for more
Some need more
Some need none

Without moderation? I think the forum would turn into a free for all with Alpha passive aggressives flaming
Others blaming
Some framing others for a different pov.

Best of luck to the New Guys!
Moderation has its good and bad days

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
the world's second largest shark is known in English as the basking shark but in Spanish it is the tiburón peregrino.
Because it travels long distances, always on the move and never settling down, constantly eating paella, tapas, bocadillos, and Tortilla Espanola, consuming vast quantities of vino tinto and Estrella Galicia, and able to detect trace amounts of sangria from miles away?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Because it travels long distances, always on the move and never settling down, constantly eating paella, tapas, bocadillos, and Tortilla Espanola, consuming vast quantities of vino tinto and Estrella Galicia, and able to detect trace amounts of sangria from miles away?
Basically when a person goes off the rails! And does ..stuff...

Yes, I understand, but it is strange nevertheless that the Spanish and the French call it “pilgrim shark”. Nothing to do with the thread of course. Your fault, Bradypus! Is this how you start your new role on this forum?!

Becoming a moderator is THE definition of going off the rails.

Have never understood HOW they are elected or by who! I have been involved with Camino since 2003 under different names and different avatars so a newbie I aint! I have even had Ivar the Terrible gently quote rule two at me! Sob.! Good luck, God speed and Buen Camino to them both however, They will need it :)

Yours aye ,

The Malingerer.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That's not an expression I've heard before, but how awesome is that?!
It comes from an American TV series called Happy Days - which went on and on and on and basically run out of story lines until it ended up, in one episode, with a central character out water skiing in Hawaii who, when menaced by a shark and facing certain death jumped over the shark and survived.
So now anything that outlives its usefulness but still clings on, especially TV programmes - the London Guardian newspaper has a column on these - has jumped the shark.
Think of it as an American Deus Ex Machina if you will.

It comes from an American TV series called Happy Days - which went on and on and on and basically run out of story lines until it ended up, in one episode, with a central character out water skiing in Hawaii who, when menaced by a shark and facing certain death jumped over the shark and survived.
So now anything that outlives its usefulness but still clings on, especially TV programmes - the London Guardian newspaper has a column on these - has jumped the shark.
Jeff, thank you. A credible explanation. Sometimes, I just shrug and move on, but am really happy to have this spelled out.

Have never understood HOW they are elected or by who! I have been involved with Camino since 2003 under different names and different avatars so a newbie I aint! I have even had Ivar the Terrible gently quote rule two at me! Sob.! Good luck, God speed and Buen Camino to them both however, They will need it :)
Yours aye ,
The Malingerer.

As for @malingerer - more than one identity? I thought that was against the rules! I had not spent any time wondering about moderators, beyond thinking they were ultra cool, in the former sense, of not getting incensed. all the best to the entire bunch of them. Not an easy job. As the forum more or less manages to be clean and wholesome, it is good enough for me. I would not hang around otherwise.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's not an expression I've heard before, but how awesome is that?!
Re: "Jumping the shark"

For those who may not be native English speakers up-to-date on popular culture.

The phrase "jumping the shark" originated in an old episode of the American situation comedy TV show "Happy Days". In the episode, one of the main characters ("The Fonz") literally jumped over a shark while water skiing. Fans and critics decided that this was a seminal moment in the show and represented a turning point towards decline. After that, "jumping the shark" started to be used much more widely to represent a notable moment that signaled a sharp decline in what had once been popular and liked.

As to whether any particular Camino routes or sections thereof have "jumped the shark", I leave to people's individual judgment. I am still happy with them all.

I remember that episode, of the Fonz waterskiing, but I never connected the expression to the show, or quite that meaning. Perhaps it took longer for ‘jumping the shark’ to enter the vernacular in my corner of North America and it evolved.

My sense of the expression was more along the lines of ‘going off the rails’, but I will now revisit the new explanation when I see the shark jumped in future.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm American, watched Happy Days in my youth, and never knew this trivia fact! Very interesting...and from the mouth of a foreigner! 😅

Whoever they are and however the moderators are appointed, I have good reason to be grateful for their immoderate generosity and gentle discipline. A forum that discourages aggression and personal abuse deserves protection.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Re: "Jumping the shark"

For those who may not be native English speakers up-to-date on popular culture.

The phrase "jumping the shark" originated in an old episode of the American situation comedy TV show "Happy Days". In the episode, one of the main characters ("The Fonz") literally jumped over a shark while water skiing. Fans and critics decided that this was a seminal moment in the show and represented a turning point towards decline. After that, "jumping the shark" started to be used much more widely to represent a notable moment that signaled a sharp decline in what had once been popular and liked.

As to whether any particular Camino routes or sections thereof have "jumped the shark", I leave to people's individual judgment. I am still happy with them all.

Here's a short, video clip of the episode responsible for that pop-culture reference

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just noticed that this forum recently got two new staff members.
Hi @Bradypus and @C clearly ;)
Wishing you constructive and as less moderating as possible.

I’ve just noticed that moderators are ‘unignorable’ unlike we mere mortals - which makes sense, I suppose.

I admire those who do it well - it’s not a job I’d be suited for.

Here's a short, video clip of the episode responsible for that pop-culture reference
I'll confess I never stuck with the series long enough to see that episode. Clearly my life was incomplete until now . . .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'll confess I never stuck with the series long enough to see that episode. Clearly my life was incomplete until now . . .
I love the story (true or not and we're sooooooooooo far off topic now) about the casting auditions when Henry Winkler, fresh from filming Lords of Flatbush, turned up in his biker jacket ad-libbing the comb and mirror scene and the casting director went "Yep, that's the Fonze!"

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Suffering is part of the Camino. Suffering the insanity of the forum members is just bonus!
Not necessarily, koilife - in the nicest possible way.
My favourite Camino graffiti ever, that I try to carry into everyday life, was (in French):
La douleur est inevitable, mais la souffrance est optionelle.
Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional.

All due respect to the graffiti artist's poetry, you could just as easily say:
Suffering IS inevitable. Finding meaning and grace in it is optional.
which is the point he's making, and a useful and even worthy motto for life.

But isn't grounds for twisting the language into exclusive meanings.

Edit: BTW, if you want a truly insightful consideration of the entire topic, I might suggest Salvifici Doloris.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard it either. But it did remind me of a piece of vaguely related trivia: the world's second largest shark is known in English as the basking shark but in Spanish it is the tiburón peregrino. 🦈
Fortunately for all Peregrinos who venture near salt water, it is a plankton eater. In my misspent youth as a commercial salmon fisherman, a basking shark inadvertently swam into our gill net in the Pacific Ocean 20 miles from Neah Bay on Washington State's northwest coast. It rolled and rolled in the net, then drowned. We towed the poor fellow, net and all, into port. It was nearly twice as long as our boat.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We towed the poor fellow, net and all, into port. It was nearly twice as long as our boat.
I once went out in a 12 foot dinghy in the sea off the Isle of Skye for a couple of hours fishing with the boat owner. After half an hour or so he said "Reel your line in - there's a shark coming!" I thought he was joking and said so. So he told me to turn around and look. Big dorsal fin moving very slowly straight towards the boat. So I reeled in very fast :) It cruised past only a few feet away with the pectoral fin passing under the dinghy. Dramatic!

Dramatic and scary! I experienced this once with a killer whale (Orca) in Puget Sound. Focuses the mind in the moment (and I was in a 30' boat!). Thank you for sharing your story, Bradypus.

Although I don't post much at all, I've been a member of the forum for 7 years or more. Still I have the tag "new member". I guess it's one way of not getting old
It is a bit of a misnomer. More to do with the number of posts than time as a member. But you can change it yourself to something you think describes you better :)

How many posts do you need and how old do they have to be to get "antediluvian"?

And how did they post back then? Carrier pigeon?

Last edited:
How many posts do you need and how old do they have to be to get "antediluvian"?

Back around the 1840s, letters from settlers to folks back in England would be nailed to a post so that the entire community could read the news. But that’s still not old enough to be antediluvian.

Back around the 1840s, letters from settlers to folks back in England would be nailed to a post so that the entire community could read the news. But that’s still not old enough to be antediluvian.
And "going postal" would be putting nails into the neighbor's fence or shutters?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Someone who walked her first Camino in 1999 described herself as a "Camino Fossil". So I wondered what would be even older than a fossil... :cool: Pigeon? Far too early for that sort of thing!

Pigeons long postdate most fossils. ;)
I like 'Antediluvian...' but gee, @Bradypus, if the flood was only a few thousand years ago you might need to find another moniker. 🙃

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Could have been done: first using RFC 1149, and later using RFC 2549 or RFC 6214, as those of us in the Internet biz for a while may remember.
GUARD #1: What, a swallow carrying a coconut?
ARTHUR: It could grip it by the husk!
GUARD #1: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
ARTHUR: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here.
GUARD #1: Listen, in order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings 43 times every second, right?
ARTHUR: Please!
GUARD #1: Am I right?
ARTHUR: I'm not interested!
GUARD #2: It could be carried by an African swallow!
GUARD #1: Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow, that's my point.
GUARD #2: Oh, yeah, I agree with that.
ARTHUR: Will you ask your master if he wants to join my court at Camelot?!
GUARD #1: But then of course African swallows are not migratory.
GUARD #2: Oh, yeah.
GUARD #1: So they couldn't bring a coconut back anyway... [clop clop]
GUARD #2: Wait a minute -- supposing two swallows carried it together?
GUARD #1: No, they'd have to have it on a line.
GUARD #2: Well, simple! They'd just use a strand of creeper!
GUARD #1: What, held under the dorsal guiding feathers?
GUARD #2: Well, why not?

That is this entire thread in a coconut shell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.