New Movie | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Forum App now available
Camino Forum Android APP Camino Forum iOS APP
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

New Movie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Camino Frances topics' started by biarritzdon, Mar 17, 2017.

1. biarritzdon

biarritzdon Veteran Member Donating Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF 2011, CF 2012, CP 2013, CF 2014, CA 2015, S. Anton 2015, CF 2015, CI 2015
    Ditch Pig 2016, CF (2017)
    There is new movie about the Camino being premiered at the Cleveland Film Festival on 5 April about a cellist named Dan Johansson who plays with the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra. He walked the Camino with his cello and gave concerts along the Way. The move is titled Strangers on the Earth and I think you can find the trailer at:

2. Kanga

Kanga Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francés (2001, 2003, 2004, 2015 and 2016), Le Puy (2009, 2010), Arles (2011), Tours (2012), Norte (2015) VdlP (2017)
    Looks good from the trailer.

3. MartinZ

MartinZ Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    camino frances 2012
    camino frances 2013
    camino frances 2014
    camino frances 2015
    camino frances 2016
    camino frances 2017 ?
    If I remember correctly he gets interviewed somewhere in this series

Ah.. it's in episode 5

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  4. mspath

mspath Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
    For more re this very special young musician, Dane Johansen,
    see this thread ; here is his blog.

Tamas, falcon269 and Bala like this.
  5. Rick of Rick and Peg

Rick of Rick and Peg Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    SJPdP-SdC-Finisterre-Muxia (66 days, May-July 2015)
  6. Anemone del Camino

Anemone del Camino Anemone

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from 2006 to 2013. Camino del Norte from Donostia to Llanes - 2014. May 2015: Primitivo. May 2016: Portuguese central + variante espiritual. April 2017: half of VDLP.
    The trailer is so hectic. Could not help but notice so many people in just about every shot. And the constant chatter. Why I no longer want to walk the Frances. I don't think I could sit through this movie if it's anything like its trailer.

7. Anemone del Camino

Anemone del Camino Anemone

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from 2006 to 2013. Camino del Norte from Donostia to Llanes - 2014. May 2015: Primitivo. May 2016: Portuguese central + variante espiritual. April 2017: half of VDLP.
    Now, this I could watch.

TanaLee likes this.
  8. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Guest

Looks good, Don. Not too hectic at all. Besides, that's the Camino, and I'm sure those film shots were done when several pilgrims just happen to be in one section at one time. Probably mostly after Sarria. Thirty minutes to an hour later and the track is all but deserted.
    Very cool the young man hauled that cello all the way across and I'm sure it was nice to hear when he put on impromptu solo concerts. Reminds me of in 2014 when I was on the CF, there was a Brazilian carrying his acoustic guitar all the way to SDC. I saw him quite frequently throughout the journey and he would play at albergues, in cafes, etc. It was so nice and I saw it put a smile on a lot of faces, and isn't it that what it's all about anyway?
    To me half the enjoyment of walking the Camino is the people I meet. Everyone is so, so different and all are interesting and all have a story. That is so cool. If I wanted a solitude walk, I know several places here in the US I could throw on my ruck and hike into and see nobody for days at a time, but that's no fun. ;)

HedaP, JennyH94, Jimmy Smith and 2 others like this.
  9. biarritzdon

biarritzdon Veteran Member Donating Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF 2011, CF 2012, CP 2013, CF 2014, CA 2015, S. Anton 2015, CF 2015, CI 2015
    Ditch Pig 2016, CF (2017)
    This should be a very uplifting film. There are too many detractors about the "Camino experience" and it gets very depressing. I've done it x-times and I'll do it again and again, crowds or not; there is always a Way which is less traveled.

HedaP, JennyH94, Jimmy Smith and 2 others like this.
  10. J Willhaus

J Willhaus Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    24 May 2016- 14 July
    One of the Camino Podcasts (on another part of the forum) has an interview with Dan Johansson about the filming of the movie. Very interesting. It is under the podcast about music on the Camino.

11. JennyH94

JennyH94 Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Past: 2012 - Leon-Santiago, Hospitalera Refugio Gaucelmo, Rabanal 7/14. First Aid Camino 9/15.
    This looks like a wonderful film, Don. Thanks for sharing the trailer with us.
    Cheers from Oz - Jenny

12. Tigger

Tigger Tigger Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Yes
    I am really surprised that Kanga didn't mention the lovely young man ( a Brit living in Australia married to an Aussie) who carried a portable didgeridoo ( I kid you not.. it was light plastic and in three sections and sounded amazing ) on the Camino giving free 'concerts' at moving and appropriate moments...so I shall He played it for us at the Camino festival here in Sydney last month and it is an eerily beautiful instrument played well. ( as he did). Live music can really set a mood.

13. waveprof

waveprof Enthusiast

Camino(s) past & future:
    May-June 2013, Camino Frances
    I'm simultaneously annoyed that there is YET ANOTHER camino film coming out, and really excited because it looks really good.

Look forward to it getting either a wide enough release that I can catch it in theaters or else a DVD release so I can purchase it.

I liked 6 ways to santiago a good bit, St Jacque Le Meque moderately, and straight up didn't like The Way. But more than anything, its a saturated topic that's been done so much, and is too filled with easy cliche and genre repitition.

I still contend the best "camino" film may be Reese Witherspoon's "Wild", and it isn't even about the Camino.

Anemone del Camino likes this.