• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New on the Forum and completed the Sureste 2015

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
Hola,

I just recently registered on the Forum. I'm just sending this message to see how it works... By the way, I did the Camino del Sureste this year (2015) june-july and I'll try to make a summary of it here. I see the Levante is very transited (a lot of people on that thread) and that the Sureste has been quite forgotten...? :O) Let's see if I can change that!

Ciaooooo/Bad Pilgrim

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola,

I just recently registered on the Forum. I'm just sending this message to see how it works... By the way, I did the Camino del Sureste this year (2015) june-july and I'll try to make a summary of it here. I see the Levante is very transited (a lot of people on that thread) and that the Sureste has been quite forgotten...? :O) Let's see if I can change that!

Ciaooooo/Bad Pilgrim
Hola, Bad Pilgrim,

You might be bad, but very active on the other hand :D I was one of the Levante walkers this year (started June 8th from Valencia) and I know that on some stretches Levante and Sureste share the trail. Interesting all the pilgrims I've met were walking Sureste, none, not one was on Levante o_O So I guess that different picture can only be seen on this forum. Also I can say that Sureste (at least on the shared stretches) is way better marked.

Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That is right,

You were perhaps 4 days ahead of me when I was in La Roda (there had been no-one in between according to the book with the recent visitors). I remember that you suggested they buy a refrigerator, so I added, right below in the book: "I agree with the person who wrote that!!" :O) And as I said in another thread: you slept in Almonacid de Toledo one day before me. I noticed because I read that on the Forum, and because the guy in the Piscina in Almonacid told me that a man from Slovenia had been there the day before. Then I read that you skipped a part of the Camino to get rid of the 40+ heat, otherwise we could have run into each other! :OD

The heat was really awful. I never slept inside the Piscina in Almonacid: Me and a spanish guy (on bike) slept on the grass outside all night...! If you tell me you could sleep inside that room, I don't know how you managed.........

Welcome to the virtual pilgrims albergue that is this forum! Buen Camino, SY

PS I dare to ask: Why did you choose Bad Pilgrim as an user name?

That is right,

You were perhaps 4 days ahead of me when I was in La Roda (there had been no-one in between according to the book with the recent visitors). I remember that you suggested they buy a refrigerator, so I added, right below in the book: "I agree with the person who wrote that!!" :O) And as I said in another thread: you slept in Almonacid de Toledo one day before me. I noticed because I read that on the Forum, and because the guy in the Piscina in Almonacid told me that a man from Slovenia had been there the day before. Then I read that you skipped a part of the Camino to get rid of the 40+ heat, otherwise we could have run into each other! :OD

The heat was really awful. I never slept inside the Piscina in Almonacid: Me and a spanish guy (on bike) slept on the grass outside all night...! If you tell me you could sleep inside that room, I don't know how you managed.........
Yep, that was me that wrote about the refrigerator ;)
Hoping to finish the missing part between Toledo and Avila as part of another combination of Caminos. It would be just perfect. And because I knew that fact when I was in Toledo the decision was easier although not easy... But I've had so many problems with material things (from clothes being torn, phone battery & charger, GPS recorder app, photo lenses, forgoten head lamp etc.) it was impossible to deal with them at the afternoons in small villages and even in Toledo, who would have thought that... So Madrid it was and then to Avila.
But Sureste is definitely on my to-do-list. I love vast open plains, even the heat (not over 40 though :D), relative solitude and was enjoying that walk very much.

Almonacid was really very hot but I opened all the windows and made some drafts. I was only sorry that the pool wasn't full yet, they began filling it that same evening when I was there :(

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well Kinky One,

I was about to say... Yep, the pool was still filling when I was there. I asked if we could try it, but the owners said no-no, sorry, we haven't opened yet. But at night, when the staff left, the last guy leaving told us (or rather whispered) that no-one would notice and that we could use the pool during the night if we didn't make any noise. :O) So we had the pool and the whole area for ourselves :OD

So, future peregrinos on the Sureste and the Levante (Almonacid is on both), be kind to pool staff at the piscina municipal in Almonacid and see what happens (I hope I don't get them in trouble writing this) :O(

Toledo-Avila, as others have told you, is very beautiful, especially the stage to San Bartolome.

Hottest day for me was when I was heading for Toboso. I think 42 degrees. Horrible. But you heard as well as I did - cause I was listening to the radio as I walked - that they had 44 degrees in Xativa, I think, the same day. I wouldn't have liked being on the Levante in that heat.........

Well Kinky One,

I was about to say... Yep, the pool was still filling when I was there. I asked if we could try it, but the owners said no-no, sorry, we haven't opened yet. But at night, when the staff left, the last guy leaving told us (or rather whispered) that no-one would notice and that we could use the pool during the night if we didn't make any noise. :O) So we had the pool and the whole area for ourselves :OD

So, future peregrinos on the Sureste and the Levante (Almonacid is on both), be kind to pool staff at the piscina municipal in Almonacid and see what happens (I hope I don't get them in trouble writing this) :O(

Toledo-Avila, as others have told you, is very beautiful, especially the stage to San Bartolome.

Hottest day for me was when I was heading for Toboso. I think 42 degrees. Horrible. But you heard as well as I did - cause I was listening to the radio as I walked - that they had 44 degrees in Xativa, I think, the same day. I wouldn't have liked being on the Levante in that heat.........
Hahaha, exactly the same happened to me with the last guy (short one) leaving the piscina but there were only few centimeters of water in the swimming pool at that moment so no swimming that night. Would have been nice though ;)

Welcome to the virtual pilgrims albergue that is this forum! Buen Camino, SY

PS I dare to ask: Why did you choose Bad Pilgrim as an user name?

Oh,

Cause I'm not a Good pilgrim... Not at all... Slow, prefer asphalt to camino, prefer hostel/private alternatives to hardcore municipal albergue, takes shorter alternative whenever there's an option, taking naps or munching away on local sweets in local bars instead of exploring towns, hamlets and churches, which makes me feel like a cultural savage... The closest I came to the medieval castles on the Levante and the Sureste was taking pictures of them... Everone else uses the afternoon to discover the place where they stopped but I'm too lazy... Bad pilgrim...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Lol, sounds we have a lot in common then, perhaps I should change my user name? Buen Camino, SY

PS Vino Tinto is culture ;-)

Hahaha, exactly the same happened to me with the last guy (short one) leaving the piscina but there were only few centimeters of water in the swimming pool at that moment so no swimming that night. Would have been nice though

I remember the pool staff saying they should have opened the piscina a long time ago, but it had been delayed because of political issues. They mentioned water shortage. Hope they don't close it.

By the way, the woman that gave me the keys at ayuntamiento in Almonacid said they were about to phone the Asociaciones of the Caminos and ask them to stop putting in their guidbooks that there is a place to stay in Almonacid. Piscina is not really meant to be for peregrinos, they just do it to help us (I mean, they DO help peregrinos by letting them stay there) but perhaps this will soon end. This will complicate things as we all know there is little chance of accomodation in Burguillos de Toledo (next stop)...

I remember the pool staff saying they should have opened the piscina a long time ago, but it had been delayed because of political issues. They mentioned water shortage. Hope they don't close it.

By the way, the woman that gave me the keys at ayuntamiento in Almonacid said they were about to phone the Asociaciones of the Caminos and ask them to stop putting in their guidbooks that there is a place to stay in Almonacid. Piscina is not really meant to be for peregrinos, they just do it to help us (I mean, they DO help peregrinos by letting them stay there) but perhaps this will soon end. This will complicate things as we all know there is little chance of accomodation in Burguillos de Toledo (next stop)...
I've encountered similar responses in other villages on this and other Caminos as well. But I did met a "Spaniard" (half Spanish, half German) living in Madrid and being the owner of family house on the main street going downhill from the church in Almonacid. So next time I guess I'll just call him.

I remember I got info that in Manuel (some 8kms before Xativa) there is possibility to sleep in municipal deportivo. But when I came there the lady, which was actually a librarian, have told me over the phone that alcalde (mayor) forbade to let pilgrims sleep in polideportivo. The reason was that he was ashamed of the infrastructure there as being inappropriate for humans to spend the night there. Well, it was OK for me to sleep under the porch of disused train station just outside the village after that. No showers and kitchen though ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've encountered similar responses in other villages on this and other Caminos as well. But I did met a "Spaniard" (half Spanish, half German) living in Madrid and being the owner of family house on the main street going downhill from the church in Almonacid. So next time I guess I'll just call him.

I remember I got info that in Manuel (some 8kms before Xativa) there is possibility to sleep in municipal deportivo. But when I came there the lady, which was actually a librarian, have told me over the phone that alcalde (mayor) forbade to let pilgrims sleep in polideportivo. The reason was that he was ashamed of the infrastructure there as being inappropriate for humans to spend the night there. Well, it was OK for me to sleep under the porch of disused train station just outside the village after that. No showers and kitchen though ;)

I came across a few of those places on the Sureste as well: at least I was ashamed myself of the bad accomodation...

Well, no showers is the worst. At least in Almonacid and similar places you can take a shower. On the Sureste though, you have the hamlet Pétrola that has an actual albergue - without showers! I thought I'd use the piscina, but when I was there I was told that I had come one day too early - they would open the piscina the following day. OK, you can survive one day without showering but in 40+ heat, not nice... But if Piscina is open, no problem.

Beware: Pétrola is the only place to stay and there is no other way to divide that stage! :Oo

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.