• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Osprey Tempest/Talon question

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
I have recently acquired a brand new, latest model Tempest 30 I am thinking of taking on my camino in a week, but while it's still got its tags in place and could be sold on I thought I'd ask anyone who uses one: Does the new side compression strap interfere with/get in the way of the pole holder? I use it a lot for my poles so if that is going to be annoying or problematic I might consider selling it instead. Thanks for any input!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Have you test packed it with exactly what you plan to carry on Camino, then walked around your home or neighborhood? You can leave the tags attached while you test the usefulness of the rucksack for YOUR needs.

Any decision regarding keeping the pack or not should be made only after trying it on for size and load carrying capability and comfort while doing so. If in doubt, add a bag of flour, kitty litter, large bottles of water, etc, to add 'dummy weight."

The 30 L volume is right in the 'sweet spot' for volume. Many of us find, after experimentation, that the optimal volume for a Camino rucksack is 30 - 40 liters. The size of each person, and their clothing affects this requirement.

Overpacking, or taking too many 'just in case' items also drives the volume requirement up. If you follow the advice here in the Forum, and pare down your load-out list to the minimum required, the 30 Liter pack should be fine.

Anything you find out later you need, you can by along the way. Recall the old saw that saw, "...bring half as much stuff and twice the money..." Well that holds true on Camino too.

I recommend you pack the rucksack as though you were leaving tomorrow. Then walk around with the rucksack on. Use your bathroom scale to weigh you with and without the rucksack to calculate the net change in weight.

Adjust the straps and waist band as appropriate. There are videos on the Osprey website (http://www.osprey.com) to help you do this. If in doubt, go to You Tube and search for "how to fit (adjust) a backpack."

Only after you do this can you make an informed decision if this rucksack works for YOU. But, on paper, you appear to be spot on.

Hope this helps.

I have used the 'old' model for years and it fits me and my kit brilliantly, but I don't like to take it out on a proper test run with tags still on... I always undo the side compression straps and leave them in the bottom of the pocket so it's easier to reach and replace my water bottle, but the strap is now connected to the hip belt pockets and could potentially slide out and get in the way. I suppose I could stop it by way of safety pin...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh no, I like the way it works and I love my endlessly refillable filter bottle. Sticking to it as long as it works, same with the pole holders. I'll figure it out!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have recently acquired a brand new, latest model Tempest 30 I am thinking of taking on my camino in a week, but while it's still got its tags in place and could be sold on I thought I'd ask anyone who uses one: Does the new side compression strap interfere with/get in the way of the pole holder? I use it a lot for my poles so if that is going to be annoying or problematic I might consider selling it instead. Thanks for any input!

I haven't used the Tempest, but with a similar Osprey pack with the same style of compression straps I have not noticed interference with the ability to stow or deploy trekking poles.

Thanks @davebugg I have never seen the strap come from the hipbelt pocket on the outside of the bag like that, hence the question. I suppose it becomes part of a bigger compression system but it looks odd running parallell with the pole holder. Seems to work well so far though and I guess time will tell!

Several of the Osprey models have this strap setup. I have one similar bag with no issues, but I use my side compression & pockets much differently with a preference for a reservoir.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Island Thanks, I do use a water bag to store extra water to add to the filter bottle but not a bladder as such, I tried it and it was not for me. I suppose I just need to keep that strap under control when not in use - I have ideas!

@Island Thanks, I do use a water bag to store extra water to add to the filter bottle but not a bladder as such, I tried it and it was not for me. I suppose I just need to keep that strap under control when not in use - I have ideas!

I really cannot live without the Osprey Magnetic Sternum Strap attachment for reservoir hose, regardless of pack brand. Great product. It will solve your unruly hose problem.

Hi, I'm currently using the tempest 30 on the Camino and have no issues stowing or removing poles. I'm not really using the side pocket for anything and should probably check out that video.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@RR3 Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. I use my left hand side pocket for my filter bottle and the right one for my sandals - easier to stow them outside the pack than inside. So I'll unthread the strap on the left and just leave it in the bottom, and the right one on the outside to keep the sandals in place.

I have a feeling you'll really enjoy wearing the Tempest 30. Two areas to check for 'feel' is:

1. where the backpack contacts the area around the shoulder blades.
2. The area of contact at the lumbar area.

If it feels like the backpack panel impinges a bit against the shoulder blades, it can become a very annoying aspect of wearing the pack that eventually starts to drive one nuts. . . sort of like having a prolonged dripping of water on the same area of the skin.

In the lumbar area, the panel should not exert any real pressure that can rub in that area.

I mention these two areas of focus because at first, with a new backpack, it is easy to overlook as inconsequential. But it can develop into a real aggravation. And in the case of the lumbar area, actually cause abrasion or rawness as the skin is rubbed over time while walking.

@davebugg Thanks for your input, Dave - I was hoping the new stretchy mesh around the hips would make it feel even better but somehow I have utterly failed at falling in love with it. I have the 'old' model and love it, and it even seems to fit more stuff?, so I might just have to go with what I know. Also my old one has a home made and very practical clothes line on the back, which I wouldn't be able to replicate on the new one. I didn't particularly need to update my pack, but since I had an opportunity to try the new model I accepted with thanks. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After walking 2 caminos with an Osprey Kyte 36, I bought a Tempest 40 for the Norte this summer — larger capacity but it weighs about a pound less. No problem storing the trek poles.

But @davebugg is right — it fits closer to my shoulder blades, so I don’t get the air flow I had with the Kyte, and I’m still experimenting with the sweet spot where the pack meets my lower back. On a 10 mile walk this morning, my lower back was tightening up after 3 miles. I loosened up my hip belt and made sure it was riding on my hips, not my lower back. The rest of my walk was great, no more lower back pain.

Thanks, Dave, as always for your advise. And Buen Camino, @nidarosa!

@Laurie Sanantone Thanks, Laurie! Maybe that subtle change in the design is why I can't fall in love with it? I am tall and broad shouldered, and I work from home typing so my shoulders and neck are like the princess on the pea. I also have ladyhips and was pleasantly surprised at the new hipbelt, after being told the padded section was a lot smaller than before. As it is, I have packed my 'old' green Tempest 30 now, ready for one last practice walk tomorrow, and hopefully that will settle the dithering. Appreciate the tried-and-tested advice though, and buen camino planning for your Norte!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.